OH Columbus LEO Fatally Shoots 13 y/o after armed robbery, teen w 'gun' 14 Sept 2016

.....fleeing 13 year old child lost in a violent world.

But the cop did not know that at the time. He got a call about an armed robbery. He had no idea the age of the perp.

.....fleeing 13 year old child lost in a violent world.

ETA: And he wasn't a felon YET. He didn't even get a chance to be convicted, so it's best not to refer to him by a title he hadn't yet earned in the courts.

It is legally called a 'fleeing felon' when a cop comes to a crime scene and sees the evidence of the crime and the suspects etc.

Look, we are never going to agree. So I will stop trying to discuss this with you. It is a very sensitive topic for me personally as I worry about my loved ones in blue, every day and night. It pains me deeply to hear they way some speak about them and underestimate their kindness and devotion to their job as protectors of the public. But I will be given a forced vacation:sigh: if I continue this dialogue....

It is legally called a 'fleeing felon' when a cop comes to a crime scene and sees the evidence of the crime and the suspects etc.

Look, we are never going to agree. So I will stop trying to discuss this with you. It is a very sensitive topic for me personally as I worry about my loved ones in blue, every day and night. It pains me deeply to hear they way some speak about them and underestimate their kindness and devotion to their job as protectors of the public. But I will be given a forced vacation:sigh: if I continue this dialogue....

When have I ever done ANY of that? Because I disagree that deadly force should be used first thing I am suddenly against police officers as a whole? That's the problem with the dialogue. Speak out against what you feel is a bad policy and suddenly you're a cop hater. Frustrating. :/

When have I ever done ANY of that? Because I disagree that deadly force should be used first thing I am suddenly against police officers as a whole? That's the problem with the dialogue. Speak out against what you feel is a bad policy and suddenly you're a cop hater. Frustrating. :/

I did not say YOU---I said SOME...not you specifically.

Tyre King was not "a child". He was a violent criminal suspect, an armed, fleeing felon. He also has a juvenile record that his family's attorney "doesn't want to talk about at this time." So how much WORSE is his criminal history, than what we already know? I continue to be astonished at the extremes of intellectual dishonesty, both here, in his family and "community", and in the press.

This case is about as clear cut as it gets-- the officers were clearly justified in ALL of their actions. They will not face any charges. We don't celebrate the loss of life, but it is justifiable and understandable to anyone who is intellectually honest, and who has even a basic ability to think and reason.

The family is entitled to remember him any way they choose, but just as in other recent cases of youthful offenders, the family chooses to post and release pictures of the suspect many years younger than he actually was, to make him appear younger, and thus more "innocent", posthumously. This is blatant manipulation, and more "intellectual dishonesty." Or perhaps wishful thinking, remember him as the innocent boy he once was, instead of the violent criminal he had become in such a short time. Anything to deny the fact that they allowed him to become the criminal he was when he died.

He was a violent, armed criminal suspect who had just completed an armed robbery. He was not a "child," nor was he "innocent", or "just playing" with a "toy" gun. Call him a youth, an adolescent, a minor, or a teen-- but it is supremely disingenuous to continue to pretend he was a "child" with a "toy gun". In all likelihood, he was a gang member, even at the tender age of 13. It's too bad he chose to do what he did, and yes, his own actions cost him his life. Pretty much everyone who can think knows that. This was not an unjustified shooting.

There are going to be times that police have to shoot. The goal is never "zero"-- that would be suicidal for police officers.

Logic, truth, and reason seem to be in short supply.

I've noticed that too. Honestly though my reactions might be different in different cases I care just as much when an officer dies in the line of duty as when an officer kills a civilian. But I feel like being critical of LE is interpreted as cop hater. Would any of us be here if we harboured those feelings?

I did not say YOU---I said SOME...not you specifically.

Respectfully, you seem to have a habit of expecting members to defend statements they've never made. You project those things onto people who haven't said the things and it shuts down the conversation. It's frustrating and I hope we can work out a way to have more constructive conversations without personal emotions becoming too involved. :)

Absolutely. And now people are saying that the cops should surrender their own lives, and accept a bullet coming for them, instead of defending themselves, because this is just an innocent child.

How can the cops ever live their own lives and have their own families if people have expectations like that for them. People want the cops to go and confront violent criminals, but they are not supposed to defend themselves, they should make the perp the priority. Better the cop die than the fleeing felon. :no:

I said *I* would surrender MY OWN LIFE. See? You're putting words out there that nobody here has said.

And no one called him an "innocent child". He is, in fact, a child though. I'm done, moving on.

I said *I* would surrender MY OWN LIFE. See? You're putting words out there that nobody here has said.

And no one called him an "innocent child". He is, in fact, a child though. I'm done, moving on.

Right. You said that YOU would surrender your own life. Are you not saying that is how the cop should have handled it as well? Sorry if I jumped to a conclusion. But that seemed to be what you were inferring.

Right. You said that YOU would surrender your own life. Are you not saying that is how the cop should have handled it as well? Sorry if I jumped to a conclusion. But that seemed to be what you were inferring.

I made it quite clear in my post that i was speaking only to what i feel I would do. So no, I was not saying anyone else should do that. Please go back and read.

ETA: The quote:

My very personal opinion here is that my life is not more important than a 13 year old boy's. Personally, I would wait for the shot, especially if he's running away. The likelihood of his shot hitting its mark is slim to none. Non-lethal force first. JMHO

I don't think that's what she was implying at all, fwiw, I took it more as her personal feelings about what she would do, and separately discussed her issues about LE often shooting first rather than trying other methods to deescalate.

In this case a 13yo boy was killed and it's a tragedy that's how his life ended. IMO (not sure if Tawny agrees with this) more could have and should have been done to spare his life.

JMO

The following is just my opinion:
I for one consider myself pro LE but with that said I think that they can do a much better job in many of these cases. They contact the public countless times daily and almost all of those stops go correctly without incident and that is something we can’t forget. When a shooting does occur, I also believe that the vast majority of those were justified. If we look at the ones where LE did something wrong, I believe that the majority of those were not what I hear some people say are murder but can be attributed to poor training or an officer that was not suited to being allowed to use deadly force in the first place. They did not respond the way they should have and it cost someone their life tragically. I don’t think that can be excused and should be punished accordingly but it’s not cold blooded murder IMO. The last category is the most heartbreaking and needs to be addressed immediately and that is the cases where the officer shot someone that was posing no danger what so ever but they shot and killed the person anyways. A few recent cases come to mind but I won’t list them because I don’t want to debate specific details. When this occurs the police department needs to step in immediately and press charges against the officer with the same tenacity that they use on an average citizen and not drag their feet. They should not be suppressing evidence, filing false reports or covering things up to “protect their own” EVER. Doing so only causes distrust between the police and the community they are paid to protect. On the flip side the public is not helping things by immediately jumping to conclusions and calling it a cold blooded murder before any of the facts are in.
I think we need a strong police force and I’m hoping they are open to self-evaluation to try to make things better. If not we are in for a long bumpy ride.

Grand Jury reached the correct decision, IMO.

Grand jury doesn’t indict officer in shooting of 13-year-old Tyre King
Eight months after the shooting death of 13-year-old Tyre King by a Columbus police officer, a Franklin County grand jury decided on Friday that the officer involved shouldn’t be criminally charged.

The grand jury voted not to indict Officer Bryon Mason for his actions in the Sept. 14 shooting in Olde Towne East. King was among a group of young people suspected in a $10 robbery when he was fatally shot by Mason after King pulled what police later found out was a BB gun from his waistband as he ran from police.

The gun, found at the scene, was designed to look like a real firearm and equipped with a laser sight. At least seven of the nine grand jurors must agree that the officer’s actions are unlawful to return an indictment.

Prosecutor Ron O’Brien said the grand jury heard from 15 to 17 witnesses — including the youth’s mother, Nia Malika King — in a session that began Thursday, before returning what is known as a “no bill” in the case late Friday.

All fatal officer-involved shootings in the county are taken to a grand jury “so citizens know it’s not just the police who investigate, but it’s the prosecutor’s office ... and at least nine independent grand jurors,” O’Brien said.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/201705...-officer-in-shooting-of-13-year-old-tyre-king

https://mic.com/articles/177691/tyre-king-columbus-cop-cleared-in-teen-shooting-death#.y7VNvyHar

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/grand-jury-officer-boy-bb-gun-killing.html?_r=0

http://www.10tv.com/article/grand-jury-clears-columbus-police-officer-shooting-death-tyre-king

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back