ID - Rape Allegation, Race, Glare of National Media Divide Town

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Rape Allegation, Race, Glare of National Media Divide Town
160530_kivi_school_rape_33x16_1600.jpg

Teaching her children how to peacefully respond to racist comments in a tiny Idaho town was not new for the mother of 20 adopted children, many of whom are black. She often found herself echoing the virtues taught in Dietrich's only church.

Kindness and patience can overcome ignorance in the mostly white, rural community, she told her kids. Forgive. Turn the other cheek.

Then her black teenage son joined the football team. Within months, three of his teammates used a coat hanger to sexually assault him in a school locker room, prosecutors say. The attack came after the woman said she spent months trying to convince school officials that her and her husband's concerns about the repeated racist harassment directed at their children needed to be treated seriously. Three teens have been charged in the Oct. 23 assault: two with felonies in adult court and one in juvenile court. In the lawsuit, the victim contends one of his teammates pretended to want to hug him but instead held him down so 17-year-old Tanner Ward and 18-year-old John Howard could assault him.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/rape-allegation-race-glare-national-media-divide-town-39482358

I can hardly stomach just these few details.

That poor young man, I can't even imagine the shock, fear and pain.

The boys that did this are sick- very sick and dangerous. How do young people become this angry, cruel and depraved?

I thought I had seen this here before. I am so appalled at the lack of response from the school on the previous incidents. I hope this family wins the lawsuit.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

This is a serious injustice!!! His name needs to be spread across the internet so that at least on line he is labeled as what he is - a sexual and violent predator.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/ida...ing-black-disabled-teammate-with-wire-hanger/

The white ringleader of a horrific sexual assault of a mentally disabled black teen will avoid jail time and escape classification as a sex offender after pleading guilty to a lesser charge, the Daily Kos reports.

John R.K. Howard plead guilty Friday to one felony count of injury to a child after leading two football teammates to help him carry out a a violent sexual attack on a black teammate with mental disabilities.

The assault followed several months of race-related discrimination levied against the victim, who was adopted by a Dietrich, Idaho family when he was a child.

Deputy Attorney General Casey Hemmer’s said that while Howard’s behavior was “egregious,” it wasn’t a sex crime. “We don’t believe it’s appropriate for Mr. Howard to suffer the consequences of a sex offender,” Hemmer said. “But he still needs to be held accountable.”

Unbelievable! What a bunch of ignorant people. :stormingmad:

Rape is rape!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

This is a serious injustice!!! His name needs to be spread across the internet so that at least on line he is labeled as what he is - a sexual and violent predator.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/ida...ing-black-disabled-teammate-with-wire-hanger/

I'm sorry but the only thing I can say is WTF!? How does he just get away with it? That is rape, and they just let him walk away. He should have to register as a sex offender because thats what he is.

Anybody who does something like this is sick, and compound that with these being teenagers? I don't even have words :(

I don't understand how this case could "divide a town" !

Who would ever take the side of a person who sexually assaulted and traumatized an innocent individual? And that individual has a disability?

Sexual assault charges need to be always be taken seriously.

Oh I hope the glare of this never leaves the front page. This is unbelievable.

I am horrified at what happened to this young man and the injustice of it.

I couldn't understand why the prosecutors would ever accept the plea deal. And then I read this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/high-school-football-player-pleads-guilty-to-lesser-charge-in-idaho-assault-case/2016/12/19/05fca8c8-c61f-11e6-85b5-76616a33048d_story.html?utm_term=.6245623f68df

"Deputy State Attorney General Casey Hemmer said in court that prosecutors would have been able to prove that Howard kicked the coat hanger into the victim’s rectum, according to the Times-News. But Hemmer said the violent assault did not constitute a sex crime, and that is why they allowed Howard to opt for the plea deal."

“Based on continuing investigation throughout this case — interviewing of witnesses, speaking with the victim and getting a better picture of what happened in this case — the state believes this is the appropriate charge,” Hemmer said in court, the Times-News reported. “It was egregious behavior, it caused this victim a lot of suffering, but it is not, in my view, a sex crime, which is why the state has amended this charge. We don’t believe it’s appropriate for Mr. Howard to suffer the consequences of a sex offender, but he still needs to be held accountable.”

But it is appropriate that the victim suffers the consequences of a sexual assault?

This story reminds me of Penn State and the cover up and "keeping the lid on things".

Football towns are notorious for it. The game brings the money to the town, the school, the establishment. That is what is
behind the "town divided". Greed versus human compassion.

I am hoping and praying for them to win the lawsuit against the school. Praying hard...

I don't know if you noticed but this case got me a little angry.

And that's good - the way this played out in court should get people angry. Should get them angry and furious that their Deputy State Attorney General minimized this sexual assault and actually called it something else? He has no right to do this and
in a perfect world he would lose his job over this.

I don't know if you noticed but this case got me a little angry.

And that's good - the way this played out in court should get people angry. Should get them angry and furious that their Deputy State Attorney General minimized this sexual assault and actually called it something else? He has no right to do this and
in a perfect world he would lose his job over this.

Oh this makes me furious. Objects being used it considered the same as rape, and to call it anything else is degrading to anyone who has been raped. They are saying that using a foreign object isn't rape....well guess I have been wrong since I was 8 yrs old.

Oh this makes me furious. Objects being used it considered the same as rape, and to call it anything else is degrading to anyone who has been raped. They are saying that using a foreign object isn't rape....well guess I have been wrong since I was 8 yrs old.
Idaho laws, unless they've changed, consider any foreign insertion to be sodomy, which was listed as a sex crime for decades, consensual or not. It's disgusting.

When I was in high school, many years ago, in Idaho, there was a nearby little town with a serious teenage pregnancy issue. Their solution? Charge the pregnant girls with fornication. The sperm donors? Nah. Boys will be boys, after all. SMH

This situation is horrific and an embarrassment to the entire state. I work with kids and adults with intellectual disabilities...in Idaho. Not in Twin Falls, but close enough. This just sickens me.

I don't understand this case at all. In a day and age where you have young men's lives ruined for having a loving sexual relationship with a girl a few years younger, you have this horrible case of bullying and this guy is going to get away with it, and it will likely be expunged.

So. He was sent to Idaho to try to get him away from the atmosphere in Texas, where he couldn't manage to stay out of trouble. He's back in Texas again, and my guess is he won't stay out of trouble here again. Eventually, this will catch up with him.

That poor boy. Just awful.

I am sick to my stomach reading this update. One does wonder how it is not a sex crime just on the base of the facts agreed to. I see this case as part of a change that is occurring, quietly and insidiously. This is not the first time we have heard prosecutor's allude to (or say outright) that the crime is not worthy of ruining someone's life. I urge anyone who is outraged to speak up and make their voices heard as well as make a commitment to follow your local cases to ensure that these kinds of deals are not swept under the rug, regardless of the politics or religious leaning of a town.

I'm also sad that the public doesn't seem outraged - I guess because there is no video. For some unknown reason, people don't seem to be able to imagine this horror unless they see it.

For crying out loud, a teacher taking a microphone away from a child hijacked the news cycle for 3 days. Where is the upset here in this case?

How does this not fall under hate crime as well?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back