Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

United's CEO turns contrite as fallout spreads from passenger mistreatment

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-united-shares-20170411-story.html

" As public outrage grew and the stock took a hit over the forceful removal of a bloodied passenger, United’s top executive turned contrite, apologizing and launching a review of the company’s policies.
The mea culpa Tuesday by Oscar Munoz, chief executive of United Airlines’ parent company, followed several botched attempts to quell the scandal that has drawn political fire, international headlines and ridicule from late-night television hosts."

"
Dao surrendered his medical license in 2005 and applied for reinstatement, telling regulators that it was a matter of “family honor.” Dao has a history of mental health problems, including depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, for which he has received treatment, according to state licensing records. Regulators cleared his return to medical practice in 2015."

Here's the fact: legally he had every right to be in that seat he paid for and was let into. Demanding he get off the plane rather than wait for a volunteer (or just let staff on a chartered plane) and refusing him service by kicking him off is wrong and despite his reaction ... United started it. LOL I sound like a 5 year old "She/HE started it first". But really, United should have planned better than to resort to kicking customers off a plane for staff. STUPID.

<modsnip>

He lost his license in 2004 and apparently became a pro poker player and then had been allowed to "practice limited medicine" since 2015. I'm just guessing but maybe consulting but no prescribing rights or drug access?

Regardless, no MD goes out of town without alternative caregivers for their patients.

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/04/11/united-airlines-doctor-david-dao-poker-player/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the fact: legally he had every right to be in that seat he paid for and was let into. Demanding he get off the plane rather than wait for a volunteer (or just let staff on a chartered plane) and refusing him service by kicking him off is wrong and despite his reaction ... United started it. LOL I sound like a 5 year old "She/HE started it first". But really, United should have planned better than to resort to kicking customers off a plane for staff. STUPID.

Isn't it also a fact that when he bought the ticket, it stated he might get bumped?

Just rewatched he is clearly confused and wildly agitated by situation -- move on and harass a more stable passenger IMO horrible moo

Would you want to be on a flight with a confused and wildly agitated passenger? I wouldn't.

He lost his license in 2004 and apparently became a pro poker player and then had been allowed to "practice limited medicine" since 2015. I'm just guessing but maybe consulting but no prescribing rights or drug access?

Regardless, no MD goes out of town without alternative caregivers for their patients.

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/04/11/united-airlines-doctor-david-dao-poker-player/

Sure they do. The day you come back is the day you don't need coverage.

The flight attendant does not close the gate---the Gate Agent does that. Delta starts boarding 40 minutes prior to take off. About 10 minutes before take off, unfilled seats are given to stand by passengers, and the doors are closed when they have boarded in preparation for take off. Running up to the gate at the last minute means you're probably not going to get on that flight.

thanks Rocco sorry I meant the gate agent my mother was one for some time. Not sure if your corrected me b/c you don't believe my story.

All the GATE AGENT had to do was take the ticket in her hand, scan it, and let her on. It has happened for me ON DELTA where they have held the gate when i was late once (I hardly ever am as im pathologically punctual) - But god forbid they let a mom on who looks like she just went through a wind tunnel with 2 kids hanging off her saying "You don't understand it is Christmas and I have to get to my father in law before he dies". The agent didn't say "I'm sorry". She SMILED and shut the door. BTW my sis in laws father was a delta pilot for years and my dad was a pilot for years. We aren't spring chickens.

I also work in hospitality and with travel agents often. Have to deal with flight being missed and having to accomodate guests. ANYONE KNOWS ALL UNITED HAD TO DO WAS UP THE BID. Now their greed has got them popped right now.

Interested also in hearing about the doctor and if he actually is a doctor anymore.

Would you want to be on a flight with a confused and wildly agitated passenger? I wouldn't.

Maybe not, but how many times have you been aware you were on a plane with someone who was not mentally sound? Probably never because they weren't unfairly provoked to getting to that point.

Just had a European business man come to my front desk saying United once kicked him out of business class and put him in coach so a staff person could have his seat and fly to the destination. He was annoyed that they didn't move the guy to coach instead of him. This is the kind of stuff we are talking about. That is just not fair to the customer.

"By dislodging this passenger against his will, United violated its contractual obligation," [Judge Andrew] Napolitano said. "He bought the ticket, he passed the TSA, he was in his seat, he has every right to be there.
As for the police response, Napolitano said they should not have violently dragged the man off the plane just because United officials asked them to.

"If the reason for their call is not a crime, they should leave," Napolitano said. "They have no right using violence to resolve a civil a dispute. ... If the passenger is politely or reasonably sitting there, waiting for the flight to take off, he's not committing a crime, he's not engaged in violence, he's not doing anything that justifies police force."

He said the man "absolutely" has a case against United if he files a lawsuit, because of the "inconvenience and public humiliation."

Napolitano added that the police could also face a lawsuit, because they used excessive force in a situation in which no force was required.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/04/...video-could-sue-airline-judge-napolitano-says

People with mental illnesses have to fly also. Unseen disabilites exist.

thanks Rocco sorry I meant the gate agent my mother was one for some time. Not sure if your corrected me b/c you don't believe my story.

All the GATE AGENT had to do was take the ticket in her hand, scan it, and let her on. It has happened for me ON DELTA where they have held the gate when i was late once (I hardly ever am as im pathologically punctual) - But god forbid they let a mom on who looks like she just went through a wind tunnel with 2 kids hanging off her saying "You don't understand it is Christmas and I have to get to my father in law before he dies". The agent didn't say "I'm sorry". She SMILED and shut the door. BTW my sis in laws father was a delta pilot for years and my dad was a pilot for years. We aren't spring chickens.

I also work in hospitality and with travel agents often. Have to deal with flight being missed and having to accomodate guests. ANYONE KNOWS ALL UNITED HAD TO DO WAS UP THE BID. Now their greed has got them popped right now.

Interested also in hearing about the doctor and if he actually is a doctor anymore.

Sorry if it sounded like I didn't believe your story---that wasn't my intention. You're right about United upping the bid---that's clearly what they should have done---and I bet they're kicking themselves now for not doing that. I'm not familiar with United at all but very familiar with Delta and their policies. Sounds like United could take some lessons from Delta. I'm actually shocked at how they do things i.e. letting people board before all the seats have been clearly assigned. The mess started there.

Sorry if it sounded like I didn't believe your story---that wasn't my intention. You're right about United upping the bid---that's clearly what they should have done---and I bet they're kicking themselves now for not doing that. I'm not familiar with United at all but very familiar with Delta and their policies. Sounds like United could take some lessons from Delta. I'm actually shocked at how they do things i.e. letting people board before all the seats have been clearly assigned. The mess started there.

I would think if they upped it to 1350 they would have gotten someone to bump.

"By dislodging this passenger against his will, United violated its contractual obligation," [Judge Andrew] Napolitano said. "He bought the ticket, he passed the TSA, he was in his seat, he has every right to be there.
As for the police response, Napolitano said they should not have violently dragged the man off the plane just because United officials asked them to.

"If the reason for their call is not a crime, they should leave," Napolitano said. "They have no right using violence to resolve a civil a dispute. ... If the passenger is politely or reasonably sitting there, waiting for the flight to take off, he's not committing a crime, he's not engaged in violence, he's not doing anything that justifies police force."

He said the man "absolutely" has a case against United if he files a lawsuit, because of the "inconvenience and public humiliation."

Napolitano added that the police could also face a lawsuit, because they used excessive force in a situation in which no force was required.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/04/...video-could-sue-airline-judge-napolitano-says

As I was saying.

As a society we've let them get away with this stuff. And still give them money to herd us like cattle. So what's their incentive ever been to treat customers well?

But you might be able to say: Your honor, it was a narrow, confined place on an airplane. We are trained to end disruptions on airplanes quickly. This made it more likely that he was going get his head bumped.

Well, the Chicago PD already did their part in making things difficult for the airport and United attorneys by jumping in the middle of this and issuing a statement in an attempt to defend the airport security and United when they addressed the head injury their statement. They said the man hit his head on his own. I used to work for a group of litigators and I'm sure the attorneys for both United and the airport died just a little when that statement came out.

I would think if they upped it to 1350 they would have gotten someone to bump.

They could have at least tried to keep upping the amount until someone gave up their seat but it sounds like they they made a one time, low offer and then started bumping.

Canada has said it is taking steps to tackle airline overbooking, following an incident involving United Airlines.
Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau said the government will put forward a passenger rights law this spring.
Mr Garneau announced the plan last year, but restated it as footage of a US passenger being forcibly removed from a flight made global headlines.

The measure would "ensure that Canadians' rights are protected by rules that are both fair and clear", he said.

In 2008, Canada introduced Flight Rights Canada, a voluntary code of conduct for airlines around passenger rights related to tarmac delays, flight cancellations and overbooking.

Under that code, if a plane is overbooked or cancelled, a carrier must either find the passenger a seat with another flight, buy the passenger a seat on another carrier with whom it has an agreement, or refund the unused portion of the ticket.

The Canadian Transportation Agency receives an average of about 50 complaints a year from passengers saying they were denied boarding.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39569984

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519
Back