Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

Keep in mind though that when an airline offers money for you to voluntarily give up your seat, they're usually talking airline dollars. In other words, if Delta offers you $800 dollars to give up your seat, they're talking 800 Delta Dollars---to be used on Delta in the future. Cold hard cash usually only comes into play when you're forced to give up your seat.

I had this problem with Delta and I have never used them since.

London to New York flight my tv did not work and for the 7 hrs 55 min journey they offered me a free newspaper.

I asked to be moved and the plane was apparently full.

So when I complained I got a £50 voucher for my next flight with them. I pointed out that I would never ever use them again as a free newspaper to read for 7 hrs 55 was a complete joke.

United could have saved themselves a lot of money and aggravation by just putting the four employees in a limo and having them driven the five hours to Louisville.

He had a ticket for that seat and he was not the one who over booked the flight.

buying a ticket does not guarantee you a seat on ANY flight, it never has been that way and it never will be that way

Why should he of been made to leave the plane

because he was told to as per UA ticket agreement.....

Rule 5 Cancellation of Reservations

All of UA’s flights are subject to overbooking which could result in UA’s inability to provide previously confirmed reserved space for a given flight or for the class of service reserved. In that event, UA’s obligation to the Passenger is governed by Rule 25.

Rule 25 - 2

Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily

seems to me like they followed all these rules perfectly.....people are booted from flights everyday, the only reason this is getting attention is because the guy acted like an idiot

buying a ticket does not guarantee you a seat on ANY flight, it never has been that way and it never will be that way

All of UA’s flights are subject to overbooking which could result in UA’s inability to provide previously confirmed reserved space for a given flight or for the class of service reserved. In that event, UA’s obligation to the Passenger is governed by Rule 25.

Rule 25 - 2

Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily

seems to me like they followed all these rules perfectly

Well this will cost them millions so I hope it was worth it!!

Rule 25 - 2

seems to me like they followed all these rules perfectly.....people are booted from flights everyday, the only reason this is getting attention is because the guy acted like an idiot

No, he didn't act like an idiot. He was seated in his seat with his seatbelt on ready for takeoff. He was waived through by the gate personnel who took his ticket for which had a seat number.

THEN, UA came in and told him they wanted that seat.

Nope, sorry. I would have held my ground, too.

Besides, that is for "denied boarding". He was NOT denied Boarding!

Well this will cost them millions so I hope it was worth it!!

he won't get anywhere near even one million, a big company like UA has better lawyers then this guy can afford, and the clauses i just quoted will hold a lot of weight for UA in court,

they did everything according to company rules and procedures, and this guy agreed to those rules and procedures when he purchased his ticket,

if he didn't like those the rules and procedures, or didn't agree with them, then he should have looked elsewhere for transportation

he won't get anywhere near even one million, a big company like UA has better lawyers then this guy can afford, and the clauses i just quoted will hold a lot of weight for UA in court,

they did everything according to company rules and procedures, and this guy agreed to those rules and procedures when he purchased his ticket,

if he didn't like those the rules and procedures, or didn't agree with them, then he should have looked elsewhere for transportation

Your quote was in regards to DENIED BOARDING. He was not denied boarding.

My millions was also in relation to how many clients they will now also of lost.

This has done them unlimited damage as a company and how they treated him and then tried to justify it.

This man is a doctor from my hometown and his wife is also a doctor. She was on the flight with him.

Your quote was in regards to DENIED BOARDING. He was not denied boarding.

being on or off the plane is irrelevant....you are technically not "boarded" until the plane is flying

also another couple of terms the passenger agreed to....

Each United Carrier reserves the right to change or modify any of its conditions of contract with or without notice to ticketed passengers.

how do you get out of that one?

also..........

Rule 21 Refusal of Transport

UA shall have the right to refuse to transport or shall have the right to remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger for the following reasons:

• Breach of Contract of Carriage – Failure by Passenger to comply with the Rules of the Contract of Carriage.

he is breaking the terms he agreed to by not giving up his seat when told to do so, so they have the right to remove him from the plane

Rule 25 - 2

No, they didn't. They should not have allowed him, and the other 3 people to BOARD the plane. They should have sorted this BEFORE.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I do considerable flying and have been on several "overbooked" flights normally they request "volunteers" before the plane is boarded as this prevents this type of a problem from occurring.

where is this idea coming from that you are not "boarded" until the plane is in flight?

United could have saved themselves a lot of money and aggravation by just putting the four employees in a limo and having them driven the five hours to Louisville.

There are union and contract agreements that do not allow this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do considerable flying and have been on several "overbooked" flights normally they request "volunteers" before the plane is boarded as this prevents this type of a problem from occurring.

In this case they asked for volunteers AFTER everyone was already seated and ready to take off.

The reason why they were looking for volunteers is because at the last minute 4 United employees needed to be in Louisville the next day. They were late in advising the airline that they needed 4 seats and didn't do so until AFTER everyone was already on board and ready for take off.

4 United employees wanted those seats, the flight was NOT overbooked!!!

The videos do not show the entire showdown.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter. There is no one, including United,, saying that he was aggressive or threatening BEFORE they told him he had to leave the plane.

I can guarantee you, if they told me I was being bumped and I could not get another flight until the following afternoon, they would have had to drag me off the plane as well. Then all of the "big brother is always right" gang would have really been hard pressed to find any "dirt" on this 62 year old woman. I did have an illegal U turn ticket 10 years ago, though, so I am sure someone would have tried to use that.

The man paid for his ticket. He is not on the no fly list, he was not threatening anyone or making any kind of nuisance of himself UNTIL they told him he had to get off. This is still America, although granted it is getting harder to recognize. TSA agents,cops or the Secret Service do not have the right to manhandle you when you have not issued a threat committed a crime, nor even threatened to commit a crime.
Period. He was being forced to vacate a seat that he LEGALLY purchased and paid for.

I was on a plane 7 years ago. The Pilot (which by the way, where the heck was he?) informed the passengers that they were willing to issue a hotel voucher and rescheduled flight for a seat for recent war widow that wished to meet the plane bringing her deceased husband home from combat. Half of the plane volunteered. THAT is a valid reason.

Accommodating your staff to get to a meeting is not.

They paid 700 million yesterday for this little escapade. That was the amount their stock was down. Yeah, it will recover some, but United will be paying for this for a very long time, whether it goes directly to the passenger is not really relevant.

Exactly. It reminds me of when someone who's unarmed gets shot to death by the cops for mouthing off, and then everyone wants to dig up all their dirt to justify it. Different situations but same idea. Both are reprehensible.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Agree!

It wasn't a meeting. They were to crew another flight. There are regulations on how flight crews can be transported, how long they can work, etc.. it was a case of bump 4 passengers and compensate them (only legally allowed 400% of ticket cost) or delay or cancel a domino effect of flights for the next few days if crew didn't arrive. So then even more people would be screwed. It's in the contract of carriage that is stipulated when you purchase tickets. Why is this particular guy so above the law? A contract is a contact and binding even if you are ignorant of what it says because you didn't read it. You go to a restaurant where your friends have a reservation, sit down at the table where they're waiting and are asked to leave because you aren't in compliance with their dress code. You leave or are removed. By LE if you were asked and don't comply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brightshelby
Back