Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

I'm watching press conference on CNN. Attorney seems to have difficulty hearing media questions and keeps asking them to repeat themselves. Kind of annoying :gaah:

[video=youtube;90jSUe_vdhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90jSUe_vdhM[/video]

United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz is being interview. His body language is really telling. He blinks a lot. He comes off someone insincere and scripted. He kept flip flopping. He has no credibility.

Watching presser on CNN. I like this atty, Demetrio, & the daughter, & think they're representing well.
Significant concussion, broken nose, 2 teeth broken out. Ridiculous. Discharged from hospital last night. Lawsuit to follow. Appropriate, imo.
The atty speaks to how inappropriate and rude the service industry as a whole has become. He represents all of us.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Yes, by all means they should have killed him. :rolleyes:

It's important that he says those words (drag me down) because it shows he's fully aware of what his continued behavior could invite.

Again, I'm not saying it was handled well, but he must take some responsibility.

He was on the phone talking to his lawyer (possibly thinking about suing United) before they even touched him. IMO he had $$$$ in mind.

[video=youtube;90jSUe_vdhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90jSUe_vdhM[/video]

United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz is being interview. His body language is really telling. He blinks a lot. He comes off someone insincere and scripted. He kept flip flopping. He has no credibility.
Load of hogwash. Resign already. United needs it's scapegoat.

The fact is, we need the airlines to get to where we are going, and they know it. Few months from now it will be all forgotten, and away we fly. Having suffered numerous inconveniences over my lifetime of air travel, I won't hold my breath for anything other than what it's become, an industry shuttling a human heard from place to place, treating us like cattle...Oh, and MOO!!!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You are missing the point. I KNOW they didn't remove him for committing a crime or posing a threat to other passengers which would be the only LEGAL reason they could remove him. Policy is not law, it is policy and therefore must be considered a civil matter. LE has no authority in civil matters. Period. They will tell you that themselves.

Yikes, though I am far from being an attorney, I don't think this is accurate in practice. The key component could well be "and refused to leave". The people in question then became trespassers (criminal offense).

For example, I have seen law enforcement remove people from sporting venues because the person was violating the policies of the owner and refused to leave. Likewise, I have seen law enforcement remove people from church festivals after they violated the dress code policies of the property owner and refused to leave.

Therefore, I am guessing that the Chicago police are legally able to remove people from aircraft if they violate the owner's policies and refuse to leave.

Mary Schaivo, former inspector general of the transportation department, just said, "this was NOT denied boarding, it was booting people and breaking a legal contract with the passenger to put on crew, so United doesn't have federal law to fall back on".

IMO Doa wasn't a terrorist, he was dragged off the plane because he wouldn't voluntarily give up his paid seat, he simply refused therefore United didn't like that so they called security. Security then dragged him off, not sure Security knew the whole story. However, United, IMO is at fault here, this was handled very poorly. Also, for the record, I could care less about his past, we all have one and more people than not, would like to keep their past in the closet. Digging up his past isn't relevant to this issue. If Doa didn't want to give up his seat, United should have asked others, in private what it would take for them to take another flight. Some people need to get home and maybe can't take the next plane out.

I'm stunned at the desperate lengths some will go to protect him. Of course his past behavior is relevant. It always is. In EVERY case.

Yeah that's just not true. Character evidence is inadmissible in such a case. The only way his background will be revelant is as to his mental status as it relates to trying to show how much of his emotional distress was caused by the airline as opposed to already there to begin with. Otherwise, none of that is relevant to defending United.

And happily, the laws of this great nation will protect this man. We don't have to go to great lengths. Legal experts, judges, lawyers, the LE department that suspended the officer involved in the incident, the majority of he general public who saw what happened, other airlines, even the CEO finally, of United himself, all understand the man was not at fault. United was.

I agree with you to some degree, I think the passenger AND United were wrong. I also have a very strong sneaking suspicion he was taking advantage of the situation as grounds to sue, an opportunist. He actually stated he would rather go to jail and they would have to drag him off the plane... what person in their right mind would want that or even suggest such a thing ? Not to mention he actually was on the phone talking about suing United while he was still sitting in his seat. The security officer talking to him tried to reason with him repeatedly but to no avail. I believe the good doctor is one who is apparently willing to take it to the limit for a potentially big pay off. Well, he is a gambler.

That said, I also think the actions taken by United and security were wrong, totally over the top and very stupid. They bit, now they'll pay.

It's just MOO, no tomato throwing please. :peace:

No tomato throwing here :D I agree with your post. I think it could have been handled differently by United. They could have moved on to someone else and left Dao alone. Dao attitude escalated the situation and United wasn't going to allow Dao to get away with it. United should have moved on and offered a bigger deal to someone else.

He was on the phone talking to his lawyer (possibly thinking about suing United) before they even touched him. IMO he had $$$$ in mind.

Or maybe he was asking his lawyer about his rights. Because he had in mind that he had obligations to take care of.

No one 'has' to fly. It's a choice you make. Most people don'twant to get booted off the flight, but usually they get the volunteers. They didn't this time . Someone got told they are the unlucky one. FGS, just get up and leave. Run your mouth, have an attitude, but get up and walk away. He chose the 'I'll sue your *advertiser censored* off, you can drag me' method, his bad call. they did it.
If it goes to trial, and I'm on the jury, he wouldn't be receiving a big payday. But, I know the airline will probably just settle with him, and that's their choice, but there is a lot of people that think like me and you don't need but one of us on the jury.
I also know a lot of you agree and say that you would have done the same as he. Not me, I would have walked off. Maybe tried to file some type of complaint, get on the news as a disgruntled customer, what ever. But I definitely wouldn't have ended up with a beat-down over it.
JMO

I had a slightly better experience with South African Airways. A group of three female Australians were flying from Cape Town to Johannesburg when lightning hit our plane so it was diverted to Durban to be checked. It was about 7pm by this time so we expected to be fed which they did. We then expected to be put into a hotel and to catch the earliest flight the next morning at 7am to Joberg.

We asked about the hotel and were told the nearest ones were a long way away and were fully booked so we could go to the airport lounge where there would be showers, food and drinks and we could sleep in a chair. We made sure we had seats on the 7am flight and then showered, ate, drank and tried to sleep. We caught the 7am plane to Joberg and were put in a nice hotel for the two nights free of charge for room and all meals.

However, we had missed our Qantas flight which did not go again until two days later. We assumed that it was their responsibility to pay for this flight to Sydney so we went to the airport and told Qantas what had happened and that we would be catching the next flight making sure there were seats available.
We then went to South African Airways to ask them to book three seats on our behalf and pay for them as it was their fault that we missed our flight. It took a lot of convincing them to do it but we were persistent as we had no intention of paying for it ourselves. They were passing the buck each time to other employees but our persistence paid off and they booked and paid for our seats with Qantas. I often wondered whether other passengers would have been so persistent. We were also polite which always helps.

The stories I have heard about flying in the US are very different. The planes seem more like buses to me. I am about to book several fights in the US. What I am wondering about is that it might be best to always pay for and reserve your seat in advance, arrive early and book in and hope that you are not then bumped. I have a feeling that often latecomers and those without reserved seating are more likely to be bumped. Is that correct?

We usually fly JetBlue or Southwest. As long as you check in on time with Southwest, you get a good seat (its first come first serve). Southwest may have a program where if you pay more, you get to pick your seat.

We have never had any problems with jet blue.

Mary Schaivo, former inspector general of the transportation department, just said, "this was NOT denied boarding, it was booting people and breaking a legal contract with the passenger to put on crew, so United doesn't have federal law to fall back on".

This may be what the doc was talking to his lawyer about, if he was on the phone before they touched him.

Also mentioned woman in seat behind Dr Dao. She is pregnant and had a two year old with her. Sounds like she might sue as well for the distress this incident apparently caused her and her child.

Every passenger on that flight should.

You mean like this guy? http://www.latimes.com/business/laz...ed-low-priority-passenger-20170412-story.html

For what it's worth, airlines desperately need an overhaul. Flying didn't used to be such an unrequited misery! I still think United is to blame here. They have a long well documented history of appalling behavior, nobody deserves to suffer such injuries as this guy did. Nobody!

No one 'has' to fly. It's a choice you make. Most people don't want to get booted off the flight, but usually they get the volunteers. They didn't this time . Someone got told they are the unlucky one. FGS, just get up and leave. Run your mouth, have an attitude, but get up and walk away. He chose the 'I'll sue your *advertiser censored* off, you can drag me' method, his bad call. they did it.
If it goes to trial, and I'm on the jury, he wouldn't be receiving a big payday. But, I know the airline will probably just settle with him, and that's their choice, but there is a lot of people that think like me and you don't need but one of us on the jury.
I also know a lot of you agree and say that you would have done the same as he. Not me, I would have walked off. Maybe tried to file some type of complaint, get on the news as a disgruntled customer, what ever. But I definitely wouldn't have ended up with a beat-down over it.
JMO

No one 'has' to fly. It's a choice you make. Most people don'twant to get booted off the flight, but usually they get the volunteers. They didn't this time . Someone got told they are the unlucky one. FGS, just get up and leave. Run your mouth, have an attitude, but get up and walk away. He chose the 'I'll sue your *advertiser censored* off, you can drag me' method, his bad call. they did it.
JMO

It turns out this isnt "denied boarding" and United broke it's contract. I'm sure the doctor didn't ask for the significant injuries he received, and now he gets to sue for loss of income as well.

I hope United goes bankrupt over this.

Or maybe he was calling for advice, like "They're telling me I have to get off the plane. Do I?"

I think it was a smart call.

IMO Doa wasn't a terrorist, he was dragged off the plane because he wouldn't voluntarily give up his paid seat, he simply refused therefore United didn't like that so they called security. Security then dragged him off, not sure Security knew the whole story. However, United, IMO is at fault here, this was handled very poorly. Also, for the record, I could care less about his past, we all have one and more people than not, would like to keep their past in the closet. Digging up his past isn't relevant to this issue. If Doa didn't want to give up his seat, United should have asked others, in private what it would take for them to take another flight. Some people need to get home and maybe can't take the next plane out.

United was apparently too cheap to hit the $1350 maximum before they decided to haul him off the plane. They may have gotten a volunteer at 1350

United was apparently too cheap to hit the $1350 maximum before they decided to haul him off the plane. They may have gotten a volunteer at 1350

Woulda been a real good investment on their part! lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back