IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you are right. Capt.Berstein also goes on to say please do not enhance the photo.

He's looking for tips that confirm what they know but have not released to the public. Someone who knows specifics.
Hmmm. We didn't take much notice on the photo issue. Is the last bit your opinion or did he actually say that?

Unless you're someone who knows this person, IMO. Somebody familiar with BG could probably make the connection merely based on posture. I don't think that guarantees someone would turn him in, though.

I've thought about this and I can't really see a wife or mother reporting their loved one, based on their posture alone. Imagine the scenario: "The way that guy walks with his hands in his pockets and head down looks sort of like my husband/son. Hmmm. Good thing my husband/son doesn't have a coat like that and was at work that day." Unless the wife/mother found out her husband/son lied and wasn't at work that day, (or she noticed some other strange behavior) then what would compel her to call in a tip? If the image showed any distinguishing detail about BG's appearance at all, then maybe I could go along with the theory that someone out there recognizes the man and isn't calling. If there was a hole in the jeans at exactly the same spot as husband/son's jeans.....if there was a patch on the jacket that looked just like the one on husband/son's jacket....if the hairline was visible.....if the face was clear enough to make out any features at all...

MOO, I see absolutely nothing that isn't completely generic about the image. Anyone who doesn't already have other reasons to suspect a loved one of involvement, probably wouldn't call to say BG walks like someone they know. The innocent husband/son would be indignant. "You called the police to say that I WALK like the suspect in that Indiana murder???"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every day I say my prayers that God brings this person to light. Haven't been able to be on the last 3 days. Any new development?
Quick story I'd like to share...
Last night my husband and I took out teenage boys to see Fate of the furious..returning home my boys went 2 doors down to a buddies house at 9 to shoot some hoops. Although it was dark out they were up in the driveway with 2 other friends with bright garage lights on. My son noticed someone bent down with a full bunny suit on. Boys thinking again it's a friend pulling a prank. It was not. It was a grown man lurking. This happened to a neighboring suburb and to my kids and friends on Easter Sunday evening. Police were called took a report. Detective called me last week to say how my kids did the right thing by calling. It happened again and he was caught. I won't know more until tomorrow but he's a white male in his late 30s. My point in telling you all is kids today cannot be safe even in their front yard. Evil lurks right in front of your nose. My heart breaks everyday a little more knowing the person who took these girls lives still is out there. Please catch this waste of human flesh LE!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Didn't LE also have a SW and searched the property on BBR in relation to the murders or was it for something else?
Any furniture delivered to BB Rd that day by one who may deliver as a side job?

Hmmm. We didn't take much notice on the photo issue. Is the last bit your opinion or did he actually say that?

No, he doesn't say that people should not try to enhance the photo. What he said is that the photo has been enhanced as much as possible by FBI - which I understand to mean that nothing more can be done by anyone to improve the clarity of the image.

I've thought about this and I can't really see a wife or mother reporting their loved one, based on their posture alone. Imagine the scenario: "The way that guy walks with his hands in his pockets and head down looks sort of like my husband/son. Hmmm. Good thing my husband/son doesn't have a coat like that and was at work that day." Unless the wife/mother found out her husband/son lied and wasn't at work that day, (or she noticed some other strange behavior) then what would compel her to call in a tip? If the image showed any distinguishing detail about BG's appearance at all, then maybe I could go along with the theory that someone out there recognizes the man and isn't calling. If there was a hole in the jeans at exactly the same spot as husband/son's jeans.....if there was a patch on the jacket that looked just like the one on husband/son's jacket....if the hairline was visible.....if the face was clear enough to make out any features at all...

MOO, I see absolutely nothing that isn't completely generic about the image. Anyone who doesn't already have other reasons to suspect a loved one of involvement, probably wouldn't call to say BG walks like someone they know. The innocent husband/son would be indignant. "You called the police to say that I WALK like the suspect in that Indiana murder???"

I'm sorry but I don't know how to copy this FBI poster.

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/abigail-williams/@@download.pdf

But maybe it's worth noting that LE asks for anyone to contact them regarding information pertaining to the case in general. The poster includes photos of Abby and Libby as well. They're not merely asking for people to give them a tip about who they think the unknown image might be.

No, he doesn't say that people should not try to enhance the photo. What he said is that the photo has been enhanced as much as possible by FBI - which I understand to mean that nothing more can be done by anyone to improve the clarity of the image.

He also said (my recall) "you should have seen what a mess it was at the beginning" suggesting they were pleased with the success of their reconstruction efforts.

I'm sorry but I don't know how to copy this FBI poster.

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/abigail-williams/@@download.pdf

But maybe it's worth noting that LE asks for anyone to contact them regarding information pertaining to the case in general. The poster includes photos of Abby and Libby as well. They're not merely asking for people to give them a tip about who they think the unknown image might be.

I find that type of request to be far more likely to yield results. I.E.: "I saw a strange man in a hoodie and jacket wandering around a Walmart parking lot in Lafayette at 4:00 p.m." That's exactly the type of tip that might help, because then they could pull security footage and credit card receipts. They might even get a vehicle description or find out he was on foot.

ETA: Of course, you still have to wade through a lot of false leads, since there are many men with hoodies and coats in the area.

In your first picture I thought his head was too big and his body cropped funny. This picture is even more distorted. I am going to be very unpopular but I think these pictures are worse than what LE released. Sorry. They are badly distorted and the face all but falls apart on this one. LE professionally pulled the BEST images they could and released them, we should stick with what they gave us. I know the heart is in a good place but these images confuse more, and arent very good. imo. Moo.
I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions. I know the head is a little larger than it should be because I can still see a bit of the original background (I just didn't want to take it too close and end up removing part of the head, which I did do on the second one.) You're more than welcome to stick with what they gave you, but as an artist and an IT professional, I always feel like everything could use improvement. You may be trying to be insulting, but nobody is more critical about my work than I am. Thanks for the feedback.

Question: are peeping Tom's and those caught with child *advertiser censored* considered RSOs?
Being convicted of owning child *advertiser censored* will always get you on the list, but I think it depends on the circumstances and the state you're convicted in that determines if you'll be registered for "peeping."

Yes, that picture is heavily softened IMO. The face is given a latex quality, much like digital skin softening I use at work to minimize the appearance of skin imperfections (all too apparent in 4K video, lol).

I know Confusion claimed he make no adjustments beyond adding contrast and brightness, but it might be a result of enlarging the image (a lot of photo edit applications will soften when making an enlargement in order to counteract scaling artifacts).

JMO

A couple of corrections to your post. I didn't lie about softening the photo, you asked about a different one (the one of the head only). The other thing is that I am not a "he". Not that either point is really important.

Burnstein: "Now the kind of tips we don't need are, and believe it or not we've had tips like this, is that you should contact the FBI and get them to enhance that photo. Well, (chuckles) we've thought of that one. And peoples' hearts are in the right place, but that photo was enhanced as much as it could be. You should have seen it before we worked on enhancing it."

https://soundcloud.com/93wibc/capt-david-bursten-from-isp-talks-facebook-killer-and-delphi

(credit to JLSChook for finding this interview)
transcribed my me.

I think a close relative would have to have some pretty compelling evidence before going to LE. As you said, the photo is generic.

I probably wouldn't even notice a resemblance to something so non identifying unless I did suspect that person of something. Unfortunately, some heinous folks are really good at disguising the wicked parts of their behavior. If "Uncle Jim" is a Sunday school teacher, volunteers for an animal shelter, and has only ever appeared loving to his family, it's a good bet that most folks wouldn't dream of connecting him to a blurry, crappy photo... despite a mild resemblance.

I was always fascinated/horrified by the BTK serial killer for that reason! You never know who you're interacting with!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think a close relative would have to have some pretty compelling evidence before going to LE. As you said, the photo is generic.

I probably wouldn't even notice a resemblance to something so non identifying unless I did suspect that person of something. Unfortunately, some heinous folks are really good at disguising the wicked parts of their behavior. If "Uncle Jim" is a Sunday school teacher, volunteers for an animal shelter, and has only ever appeared loving to his family, it's a good bet that most folks wouldn't dream of connecting him to a blurry, crappy photo... despite a mild resemblance.

I was always fascinated/horrified by the BTK serial killer for that reason! You never know who you're interacting with!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

x2 on BTK. That wing nut even called LE to report the death of his first victim.

The more I read about Israel Keyes (a case which got hardly any play in the local news in parts of Upstate, NY, where I'm from), and The Bike Path Rapist in Buffalo, the more I believe these killers are living in plain view, and they have what many would consider to be normal lives with families. Even Arthur Shawcross had a kid at one point, and had a girlfriend at the time he committed the 10+ murders in Rochester.

LE did previously state, though, not to manipulate the photo. No, I don't have the link.

I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions. I know the head is a little larger than it should be because I can still see a bit of the original background (I just didn't want to take it too close and end up removing part of the head, which I did do on the second one.) You're more than welcome to stick with what they gave you, but as an artist and an IT professional, I always feel like everything could use improvement. You may be trying to be insulting, but nobody is more critical about my work than I am. Thanks for the feedback.

Being convicted of owning child *advertiser censored* will always get you on the list, but I think it depends on the circumstances and the state you're convicted in that determines if you'll be registered for "peeping."

A couple of corrections to your post. I didn't lie about softening the photo, you asked about a different one (the one of the head only). The other thing is that I am not a "he". Not that either point is really important.
I totally wasn't trying to be insulting, sorry if you take it that way. I was trying to be honest. I'm never one to insult. But I have to point out how distorted your pictures are. You have changed his whole body type. I'll go back to reading as I have done since thread 38.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

LE did previously state, though, not to manipulate the photo. No, I don't have the link.

They asked on Twitter/Facebook that people not share altered photos and artist impressions that were circulating at the time, and asked people only share their official images.

They asked on Twitter/Facebook that people not share altered photos and artist impressions that were circulating at the time, and asked people only share their official images.

Yep! That's it! Thanks for the clarification!

What if it is a pay-as-u-go phone? I.e. pre-pay, no contract, no address on record? Don't know about old phones pinging but as long as they have an IMEI number and a sim card then I think they would have to in order to work. MOO.
Eta. Thinking logically even old phones must ping the towers, otherwise they would not work. So my guess is yes they ping, but only traceable with a contract phone.

I don't know much about flip phones, but to your second point, burner phones aren't as untraceable as people sometimes think they are. In the trials of Jennifer Pan and her co-conspirators, there was a lot of cross-referencing done to trace contact between different burner phones. But yes, they ping towers the same way contract phones do.

Where did I say you lied? Not sure how you get that. The opposite is true, in fact. I said you claimed to have made no softening adjustments so I'm saying it's probably the photo app doing it automatically.

Whatever the case, the pic is indeed softened. it looks barely like the original.

He/she, sorry, slip of the finger. It's not really something I waste brain power on.

:blowkiss:

I totally wasn't trying to be insulting, sorry if you take it that way. I was trying to be honest. I'm never one to insult. But I have to point out how distorted your pictures are. You have changed his whole body type. I'll go back to reading as I have done since thread 38.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I agree there has been more than just enhancing / removal of background imo, maybe even some of it unintentionally. it makes BG look skinnier, longer legs, narrower waist. Moo . I keep thinking about the artist sketch that was released that le asked ppl not to share.This is one reason I always try to follow tos and post the original source whenever I edit a photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member