FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume there are customs requirements for entering and exiting a country.

He doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed; maybe she didn't have an airplane ticket or get on the plane.

I think we can all agree that box is no longer evidence sitting on the porch open with no chain of custody.

I agree!

I also think that's why they are inspecting the car. If she died in the cundo, then he used his car to transport the body and bury her.

Meanwhile, the boat story was intended to keep officials looking in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder who dropped the baby off with the babysitter before "their trip."

A lot of married couples don't wear rings 24/7? I don't understand what you're insinuating.

I'm only making an observation. Not insinuating anything more than it's odd but isn't surprising now that this whole relationship seems fishier by the minute.

Yes, married folks don't wear rings 24/7 but we know the baby is 9 months old and we know they got married a few months ago.

Women typically wear engagement rings 3 - 12 months prior to the wedding. I have only been able to find ONE picture with her wearing a ring (posted April 4th) and it's a BIG rock.

I don't know Isabella but my guess is she would be wearing it often if she had it because it's new, expensive, and exciting as a newly wed or newly engaged. Also because she seems to be a little on the flashy side according to her online presence.

Not insinuating much but making an observation which may or may not mean something.

I'm only making an observation. Not insinuating anything more than it's odd but isn't surprising now that this whole relationship seems fishier by the minute.

Yes, married folks don't wear rings 24/7 but we know the baby is 9 months old and we know they got married a few months ago.

Women typically wear engagement rings 3 - 12 months prior to the wedding. I have only been able to find ONE picture with her wearing a ring (posted April 4th) and it's a BIG rock.

I don't know Isabella but my guess is she would be wearing it often if she had it because it's new, expensive, and exciting as a newly wed or newly engaged. Also because she seems to be a little on the flashy side according to her online presence.

Not insinuating much but making an observation which may or may not mean something.

I have a 1 carat ring that I didn't wear when we traveled to Mexico or Europe. It didn't seem worth the risk. I hated being without it and I had a definite tan line where it usually sat though. I haven't looked at the pictures but if it's a big enough rock she maybe didn't want to wear it when she went out. Worried about it slipping off, attaching unwanted attention.. just some thoughts.

I'm also not convinced she was ever on the boat that night.

IMO, at this point, I don't think he did it. :thinking:

Also, some people wear "travel jewelry."

There have been times in Delray when I won't even wear my ring to the Publix or carry a designer bag to the Boca Mall.

On May 17, the night before the U.S. Coast Guard called off the search, a neighbor said last week he approached Bennett to express his concern and sympathy.

“He said, ‘Yeah. I’m going to be leaving for England. I’ve got to move on with my life,’ ” the neighbor recalled. “I said, ‘What about the baby?’ He stopped and said, “Oh. I guess I’ve got to take her with me, too.’ ”

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...mystery-missing-woman/5reNR5lTYpl2kcOKNxdxaP/

IMO. Brits are reserved and stoic. Also, some people go into shock after an incident like this, they are stressed, and they aren't thinking clearly. Because his wife's parents have been taking care of the baby, perhaps his mind had not gotten that far ahead yet.

I think the hull of the boat needs to be searched by divers before many more conclusions are drawn. IMHO

I assume there are customs requirements for entering and exiting a country.

He doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed; maybe she didn't have an airplane ticket or get on the plane.

I think we can all agree that box is no longer evidence sitting on the porch open with no chain of custody.

Yeah, that evidence box sure is a mystery to me!

Trips to Tokyo, Singapore, Bahamas, panama, etc, pretty unusual lifestyle for youngish couple

On May 15, within hours of when Bennett would have been rescued, a neighbor said she saw a car parked downstairs that she recognized as belonging to Hellmann’s sister. Two days later, she said, she saw five relatives go into the condo.

The neighbor said Bennett told her later that after the Coast Guard rescued him on the morning of May 15 and flew him to Florida, Hellmann’s family picked him up that afternoon and brought him to their home in Boca Raton. Bennett told her his first time back in his apartment was the evening of May 17. He also told her Hellmann’s engagement ring and electronics and an expensive handbag were gone. She told him she’d seen the family in the apartment.

On Friday, May 19, the neighbor noticed the key lock on Bennett’s front door had been replaced with an electronic keypad. Bennett also told her he planned to contact deputies to file a complaint. The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office confirms he filed a report that day but will not release it, citing an active investigation.

Bennett and the baby daughter were at the apartment from May 20 to May 23. The neighbor said she has not seen the baby since the 23rd and assumes Bennett took her back to the Hellmanns.

Also that weekend, Bennett told her he wanted to search for his wife but had lost his passport when the vessel sank. He said he had obtained a temporary one but that it barred him from leaving the country right away.

The neighbor said she saw the “official-looking” men with the latex gloves and Bennett out by his car at about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

On Wednesday night another neighbor was walking his dog and saw Bennett “bringing stuff out. He had someone helping him. They were throwing stuff in the dumpster.”

On Thursday, his car was gone and she has not seen it, or him, since.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...mystery-missing-woman/5reNR5lTYpl2kcOKNxdxaP/

I'm starting to agree with the posters who wondered if she was ever on the boat. I hope they are trying to pinpoint where she was last seen by someone other than her husband.

IMO -

i disagree. there's no better place to dump a body than in the middle of the ocean. if it was, it will likely never be found. no body makes it much harder to get an arrest and conviction. and no witnesses out there on a boat in the middle of the ocean. strangle her on the boat, dump the body, purposely try to sink the boat to hide and evidence and have a cover-story. the perfect murder.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tidesta1783.png
    tidesta1783.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 440
I agree with that. However, we have to go back to: in cases of man/wife sailing teams, when one goes overboard during watch at night, 100% of the time it is either the husband or the wife who is presumed lost and never found.

You know?

This has happened before. I am trying to remember the last case I read about -- older couple.. I want to say off the coast of Africa... wife disappeared at night....never found... husband distraught... other sailors came to the area to help search. She was never found.

More thoughts: if he has a captain's license and was never home, it would make sense because he was out working. He could have been charter captain, or captain for hire (taking possession of new sailboats and yachts and then delivering them to new berth locations etc). If he has a pilot's license, he could have beem a riverboat pilot and they make a very healthy salary.

IMO -

i disagree. there's no better place to dump a body than in the middle of the ocean. if it was, it will likely never be found. no body makes it much harder to get an arrest and conviction. and no witnesses out there on a boat in the middle of the ocean. strangle her on the boat, dump the body, purposely try to sink the boat to hide and evidence and have a cover-story. the perfect murder.

I am leaning this way also. I'm interested to see what other details come out.

Forgive me in advance as this post is going to be quite long. But I have so many questions surrounding his behavior, her families behavior, and what was going on behind the scenes. All quotes in this post can be referred back to here : http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...mystery-missing-woman/5reNR5lTYpl2kcOKNxdxaP/

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. So it sounds like she/her family were not independently wealthy, as she told a neighbor she sunk her entire savings into their condo:

"Mayer, who lives in a nearby building and who also is in the real estate business, told The Post that Hellmann told him she’d sunk all her savings into the condo:
"All of a sudden he (Bennett) was on the scene. And all of a sudden they spent $60,000 to $70,000 remodeling the apartment,” he said.
too".

2. My thoughts: insurance policy. Sounds like she wasn't independently wealthy, so I would be curious about the life insurance and were any changes made, recently. Also - is he possibly the independently wealthy one, and was there a prenup? Perhaps he didn't want to lose money to her in a divorce. His work history/employment is difficult to follow: he was a captain of private yachts (per Isabella to a neighbor), a plumber (per him), and owner of Next Generation Solar originally from Australia (per docs via the Post).

Also - and this is out of pure curiosity and total speculation and just a stab in the dark - it was mentioned that they met online. I wonder if (let's run with the idea that he is the wealthy one or purporting to be wealthy) they met on some sort of sugar daddy/wealthy men site. There are plenty of "dating sites" for wealthy men to meet interested and attractive women. Many require proof of monetary value, but not all. Perhaps they met on one such site, and either a) he decides he wants out or b) she finds out he isn't nearly as wealthy as he had purported and not the person she thought he was, and was wanting to leave him and take the baby. Motive. I wonder what his past looks like.... MOOOOO.

3. Family clearly IMO doesn't trust the guy - just hours after he would have been rescued they were at the condo and sounds like they took several items. Why would a family go and take pricey electronics/designer handbag/engagement ring unless they felt something i towards had happened? Seems very odd:

"Fennimore said Bennett told her later that after the Coast Guard rescued him on the morning of May 15 and flew him to Florida, Hellmann’s family picked him up that afternoon and brought him to their home in Boca Raton. She said Bennett told her his first time back in his apartment was the evening of May 17. She said he told her Hellmann’s engagement ring and electronics and an expensive handbag were gone. She said she told him she’d seen the family in the apartment."

4. Contention about where to live/raise the baby? Sounds like Bennet wanted to go back to Australia and Hellman had no interest:

"Fennimore said Bennet had told her in the past that they had always planned to go to Australia with the baby.” She said Hellmann had told her last summer Bennett had asked her but that she had no intention of leaving South Florida because her family is here."

5. His response to his neighbor is a huge red flag, for me..."need to move on with my life". It's all so recent. And, you KNOW that her family will most likely raise hell at the idea of him taking the baby, their last living connection to Isabel, away from them.

"On May 17, the night before the U.S. Coast Guard called off the search, neighbor David Mayer said last week he approached Bennett to express his concern and sympathy.
“He said, ‘Yeah. I’m going to be leaving for England. I’ve got to move on with my life,’ ” Mayer recalled. “I said, ‘What about the baby?’ He stopped and said, “Oh. I guess I’ve got to take her with me too".

This could all mean nothing - maybe she went overboard, maybe she wasn't tethered or wearing a life vest, maybe it's all above water, pun intended. But maybe, maybe it isn't...because my hinky meter has been going off since the moment I read the first article about this several days ago. Too many red flags for me in the background - not even just in how it all happened.

Also whose jurisdiction does this fall under??

Also whose jurisdiction does this fall under??

Right now the FBI is involved. Their authority to investigate criminal offenses and enforce laws of the United States on the high seas or territorial waters of the United States depends on several factors
(1) The location of the vessel
(2) the nationality of the alleged perpetrator or victim
(3) the ownership of the vessel
(4) the points of embarkation and debarkation, and the country in which the vessel is flagged
All of these four factors play a role in determining whether there is federal authority to enforce the laws of the United States if a crime has been committed.
The principal law under which the U.S. exercises its Special Maritime and Territorial Jurisdiction is set forth in Section 7 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code. This statute provides, in relevant part, that the U.S. has jurisdiction over crimes committed on a ship if:
 The ship, regardless of flag, is a U.S.-owned vessel, either whole or in part, regardless of the nationality of the victim or the perpetrator, when such vessel is within the admiralty and maritime jurisdiction of the United States and out of the jurisdiction of any particular state;
 The offense by or against a U.S. national was committed outside the jurisdiction of any nation;
 The crime occurred in the U.S. territorial sea (within 12 miles of the coast), regardless of the nationality of the vessel, the victim or the perpetrator; or
 The victim or perpetrator is a U.S. national on any vessel during a voyage that departed from or will arrive in a U.S. port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member