Found Alive NC - Allison Cope, 24, Raleigh, 26 June 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same thing. OMG, if I took a mental health break, ended up off the radar for a few days, and then saw myself on TV with my weight prominently displayed, I would almost die.

On a more serious note... I know nothing of "wrappers" like the one on her back window. It seems like it would be very hard to drive around undetected anywhere where the news of this story is being publicized. Do those come off easily? The car is so generic-looking that I think it wouldn't draw much notice without the pit bull rescue stickers on the back.

I get that. But no one cares about her weight, with all of the pleas for her to come home, obviously people care about HER. She had to know leaving work mid shift, leaving her purse and phone was going to cause a panic. It always does in MP cases. I gotta sit on my hands and duct tape my mouth a lot here.

I thought the same thing as you when I first saw that posted, and still think there has to be a back story if it is true, but I suppose that when the roommate was married to Allison's brother, they could have lived in the home with Allison and her mother/parents. Another thought is that Allison could have moved out of her home to go and live with them, though at 14, that seems unlikely unless she was a runaway. JMO

I was wondering when I first heard the quote if she had been a runaway, but it seems like that would have come out by now. It would give additional insight into her background if that were confirmed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I'm a bit dubious of the gas purchase. Most gas stations place a hold of $50 in a debit transaction until the actual transaction amount hard posts at the end of the business day. This would mean that either Allison did not purchase gas because the transaction would have been denied, or if approved, she had more than $50 in her account. Was it the roommate who pressed that she didn't have but $23 I her account or just who specified this?

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I'm a bit dubious of the gas purchase. Most gas stations place a hold of $50 in a debit transaction until the actual transaction amount hard posts at the end of the business day. This would mean that either Allison did not purchase gas because the transaction would have been denied, or if approved, she had more than $50 in her account. Was it the roommate who pressed that she didn't have but $23 I her account or just who specified this?

My teenage daughter debits out $10 , $5 all the time getting gas because she usually doesn't have enough to fill her tank. They never hold $50.

:welcome: to Websleuths,:cheer: TurningAmondEye!!:cheer: We're glad you've joined us!!

I know that people upthread were griping about comparisons to other cases, but I can't help it. There is another active case on here of a young woman last seen leaving work. One theory is that an acquaintance of hers asked her for a ride from her workplace.

I wonder if something like that happened. When Allison ran out to her car for whatever reason, someone she knew was out there too. I'll call the unknown person N, like someone did above.
N: Hey, Allison. I need a ride to ____. Can you help me out?
A: (Being the nice girl she is.) Well, I am on my break so...
N: Oh please? I have an appointment, have to take my kid to the doctor, etc. You can just drop me off and come right back, You're the boss! LOL
A: Well, ok. I have to stop and get gas though.
N: That's ok, oh man, I sure do appreciate this. I owe you one!

She may have left voluntarily with this person, thinking that she was doing a good deed (I am always in that mindset, though I shouldn't be). Figured she could make it quick, and well, she did need to get gas. So, she wasn't under their power knowingly at the gas station. No frightened look, no clues to the cashier, etc. But perhaps did look a little "on a mission" because she was maybe bending the rules a bit.
When she got in the car, or sometime thereafter, things went downhill fast.

Why didn't she take her purse, phone, etc. ? Because she hadn't planned on leaving the premises.
Not saying this is what happened, but IMO it is surely possible.

My teenage daughter debits out $10 , $5 all the time getting gas because she usually doesn't have enough to fill her tank. They never hold $50.
I only have to have $1.00 in my acct and I can run it as credit on my debit card and it approves it for whatever amt i pump for gas. Now that only works if i pay at the pump and press credit instead of debit (eventhough its my debit card for my checking acct). However it does NOT approve it if I have only $1.00 and try to go inside and pay for it. Now once I pay at the pump (whether i purchased $1.00 or $50.00) it only post on my acct as $1.00 until the next business day. Then once it clears it shows the actual full amount i purchased. Not sure if this was the case for her or not but this is how my bank works! MOO

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I only have to have $1.00 in my acct and I can run it as credit on my debit card and it approves it for whatever amt i pump for gas. Now that only works if i pay at the pump and press credit instead of debit (eventhough its my debit card for my checking acct). However it does NOT approve it if I have only $1.00 and try to go inside and pay for it. Now once I pay at the pump (whether i purchased $1.00 or $50.00) it only post on my acct as $1.00 until the next business day. Then once it clears it shows the actual full amount i purchased. Not sure if this was the case for her or not but this is how my bank works! MOO

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yep. I run everything as "credit" on my debit card. My credit union advised me to do that because there are limits on how many debit purchases we can make on any given day and also because it will be covered if I go over my balance, as in it will be just like any other credit card charge.

I thought the same thing as you when I first saw that posted, and still think there has to be a back story if it is true, but I suppose that when the roommate was married to Allison's brother, they could have lived in the home with Allison and her mother/parents. Another thought is that Allison could have moved out of her home to go and live with them, though at 14, that seems unlikely unless she was a runaway. JMO

Yeah, she could have had a bad situation at home or something could have happened to her parents. She may have wanted to change where she went to school. Have her parents been mentioned much? I don't recall any info on them, but I certainly could have missed a few posts. This thread gallops, and I can't always read every one of them!

I know that people upthread were griping about comparisons to other cases, but I can't help it. There is another active case on here of a young woman last seen leaving work. One theory is that an acquaintance of hers asked her for a ride from her workplace.

I wonder if something like that happened. When Allison ran out to her car for whatever reason, someone she knew was out there too. I'll call the unknown person N, like someone did above.
N: Hey, Allison. I need a ride to ____. Can you help me out?
A: (Being the nice girl she is.) Well, I am on my break so...
N: Oh please? I have an appointment, have to take my kid to the doctor, etc. You can just drop me off and come right back, You're the boss! LOL
A: Well, ok. I have to stop and get gas though.
N: That's ok, oh man, I sure do appreciate this. I owe you one!

She may have left voluntarily with this person, thinking that she was doing a good deed (I am always in that mindset, though I shouldn't be). Figured she could make it quick, and well, she did need to get gas. So, she wasn't under their power knowingly at the gas station. No frightened look, no clues to the cashier, etc. But perhaps did look a little "on a mission" because she was maybe bending the rules a bit.
When she got in the car, or sometime thereafter, things went downhill fast.

Why didn't she take her purse, phone, etc. ? Because she hadn't planned on leaving the premises.
Not saying this is what happened, but IMO it is surely possible.

What could cause a person to drive off, in the middle of work, without their phone or purse?

An emergency.

Why hasn't she told anyone where she is yet? Because (1) she may not know she's missing without having seen any media via her phone or computer; (2) she's preoccupied with the "emergency" that seized her.

Why'd she leave her phone and purse behind? Maybe she absentmindedly thought she had her phone in her pocket? After all, she just took a quick break from work and was running to her car, so she was rushed.

Solid theory.

Seems to me, that if AC is that close to her long-time roommate, surely she would have gotten in touch with her by now. If she was in a funk, I would hope that by now she would be okay enuff to keep her best friend from lying awake at night worrying about her. Of course, she could have gotten in touch with her & her friend is keeping mum, but that would be putting her roomie in a possible legal problem by not telling LE the truth. That's what makes me think something bad has happened -- either an accident, down a wooded & well-hidden embankment, into a river etc., or she is being held against her will or the worst.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. I'm almost always intrigued that the person 'sitting on their hands" knows more than they are saying but I'm equally frustrated when they don't reveal what it is.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I don't sit on my hands often, but when I do it's because my feelings on a case aren't very nice or sensitive. So...I'm sitting on my hands a lot in this case, waiting to see what unfolds. I don't know anything more than anyone else here, I'd never want to suggest that. My feelings are just not appropriate to put out there at the moment.

I get that. But no one cares about her weight, with all of the pleas for her to come home, obviously people care about HER. She had to know leaving work mid shift, leaving her purse and phone was going to cause a panic. It always does in MP cases. I gotta sit on my hands and duct tape my mouth a lot here.

BBM

This has been a sticking point for me as well.
For those who think she wants to "disappear" why do it at that time where it is sure to create a scene?
Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

BBM

For those who think she wants to "disappear" why do it at that time where it is sure to create a scene?

Yes it does. But if I go into my perceptions on that I will get blasted. So I'm chillin' here.

Yes it does. But if I go into my perceptions on that I will get blasted. So I'm chillin' here.
Well, I'm horn swoggled. What happened that would put her over the edge to just take off? She doesn't strike me as the type to do it for attention.

Did her roommates know she'd been off lately? A tad depressed?
Is that why they hired a helicopter?
Did they secretly knew she was in trouble mentally. So why perpetuate the abduction theory unless they are trying to protect her and her family regarding the real reason she left. Or does it make it easier for the roommates to believe she was abducted instead of thinking that they may have added to her distress
and therefore her disappearance or... that they totally missed the signs that she was in serious trouble.

No sitting on hands!!

Well, I'm horn swoggled. What happened that would put her over the edge to just take off?

Or does it make it easier for the roommates to believe she was abducted ... or... that they totally missed the signs that she was in serious trouble.

No sitting on hands!!

Horn swoggled. Haha!!! :D

#1. Don't know. #2. I think so. #3. Sorry, I gotta.

Horn swoggled. Haha!!! :D

#1. Don't know. #2. I think so. #3. Sorry, I gotta.
I just looked up horn swoggled and it is actually hornswoggled. Meaning bamboozled. I going to add my own definition: totally confused.

So...I wonder if something was said or texted to AC that the rooms would rather not have aired in public. And whatever it may have been, pushed AC over the edge.

Has anyone ever been at a point where your last nerve was hit and you said, "I'm done". And then removed yourself from that situation that had gone on way too long with no looking back?

I have but not to the point where I have completely disappeared. But when I'm done with a certain person or situation, I am done with it.

Would I be brave enough to take off with little money? Not unless I had a place to go where someone would understand and let me stay for awhile.

Depends on the bank. Mine always show up within 5 minutes for exact amount of purchase.

BBM

Maybe, unless the purpose was to get attention.

But then again, I don't know. I don't think she chose to disappear herself. I think someone else made that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member