NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

How did we learn he was raised by grandparents? Mom or dads parents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on public records, such as great-grandma's obituary, and publicly available professional info of mom and step dads, as well as mom's age, a picture emerges.

I think I have these details correct, but could be off. Trying to keep it focused on explaining MP's psychology based on estimated family structure.

I believe this is within TOS:

Grandparents TH and AH, raise MP
Their daughter, MGH/C/K, is Phelps' mom. She was approx 20 when she had him and never had the P last name, AFAIK.
Mom eventually got a high level nursing degree and stepdad(s?) were/are advanced degree holding professionals.
It looks like Phelps had 2 stepdads over his lifetime.
A step-brother approx his age OD'd in July this year. Unlikely they "grew up" together, based on other public info (obit).
MP may have felt abandoned for careers/money, rather than viewed grandparents raising him as providing stability while mom worked towards goals.
JMO, etc

This may be wrong, but I think it's close.

I found a few more younger pics via facebook. Can I post them here or no? They were not accessible via his page but he is tagged so they are not from sleuthing family.

Based on public records, such as great-grandma's obituary, and publicly available professional info of mom and step dads, as well as mom's age, a picture emerges.

I think I have these details correct, but could be off. Trying to keep it focused on explaining MP's psychology based on estimated family structure.

Their daughter, MGH/C/K, is Phelps' mom. She was approx 20 when she had him and never had the P last name, AFAIK.
Mom eventually got a high level nursing degree and stepdad(s?) were/are advanced degree holding professionals.
A step-brother approx his age OD'd in July this year. Unlikely they "grew up" together, based on other public info (obit).
MP may have felt abandoned for careers/money, rather than viewed grandparents raising him as providing stability while mom worked towards goals.
JMO, etc

I don't think the doctor is his stepdad. I'm not sure if that's what you are even saying but I know some others have wondered. I also found a different brother that has a different last name and totally different parents?!?!??? This family is def confusing

JMO, etc

Did his mom take him after age 13? Because he stated on his Tumblr account he was raised by TH/AH until he was 13.

Some good sleuthing going on here. :)

Curious as to how long he was "sick".... as in flying into rages or flipping out ? Although I believe this is his first murder.
It would be interesting to know if his family/friends or anyone very close to him had warning signs that he needed some help ?

Although after the brutal death of Lauren -- my .02 is that he needs a jail cell ...and not mental hospital therapy with possibility of release.

if someone feels he needs treatment it can be administered behind bars ; and imo he should never be released.
:moo:

I have no idea what kind of social media page this is, but Lauren is so open and happy and always boasting about her hubby (I think it has something to do with Instagram?). She is quite the fashionista!
http://www.djll.us/user/hugelmaierla

and his page: http://www.djll.us/user/uncanny_matty#

The body language says so much in the couple pics she posted. She so obviously adores him, and he just stands there, stiff as a board.....makes me so very sad for this sweet and intelligent young lady!

Really? I can't see that. To me the pictures are adorable. Wouldn't have second guessed any of them.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

He didn't know what he had in Lauren... and even if he did-- he obviously could've cared less.
Despicable monster. :stormingmad:

He didn't know what he had in Lauren... and even if he did-- he obviously could've cared less.
Despicable monster. :stormingmad:

I think you mean that he couldn't have cared less, and a bunch of us seem to agree!!!

Before the IG accounts went private I did some comparisons between her account and his 'weird' account. There was one name that appeared on both; a girl who liked many earlier photos on his weird account and also left comments on her most recent posts (to which she responded directly). I think the last like I could find on his weird account was from June/July, when posts had turned dark but not the super, super dark nature like the month leading up to the killing. This leads me to believe that Lauren had to have known Matt's dark side existed and how it was getting worse. At least I hope the apparently mutual friend informed her, if Lauren wasn't monitoring the account herself. And if she was monitoring it, what would she have thought? Those were some really dark, satanic images and quotes that scared me and I didn't have to live with the monster.

I found a few more younger pics via facebook. Can I post them here or no? They were not accessible via his page but he is tagged so they are not from sleuthing family.

When in doubt ask a mod. Sillybilly is a mod who has posted here. Click on her name and send a pm or report your post with the red triangle and ask. All mods will see it. There are very strict rules about using FB, so I don't think the photos you found would be allowed. The birthday party one shouldn't be here either, actually. JMO

The SM rules...
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?291123-Social-Media-Facebook-Twitter-etc

Anyone else find it odd how she didn't change her last name on her FB page to Phelps? She was so proud to be his wife everywhere else. IG, The Knot website. Using hashtags like #wifelife #proudtobemrsphelps, etc.

Anyone else find it odd how she didn't change her last name on her FB page to Phelps? She was so proud to be his wife everywhere else. IG, The Knot website. Using hashtags like #wifelife #proudtobemrsphelps, etc.

Or did her family delete the name Phelps from her FB before we saw it? They used only her maiden name in the obituary and didn't mention him at all.

:welcome:to Websleuths, jaygeezy!! We're glad you're here!!

:cheer::cheer:

Didn't I read that his brother - half or step - killed himself this year? It was in someone's post.

Could that have been a huge factor in his declining mental state?

Or did her family delete the name Phelps from her FB before we saw it? They used only her maiden name in the obituary and didn't mention him at all.

Yes, I think that is what happened. The first time I looked at her Facebook page, it was already a memorial page... "Remembering Lauren H" ... so if they had done that already, they would have been in the frame of mind to adjust the name on all her social media sites.

So, I was lining up podcasts for my drive home this afternoon. I came across one titled "The Uncanny Valley." I thought that was rather peculiar--Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, anyone?

Well, my Bluetooth was being fussy so I wasn't able to listen to it. I looked into the "Uncanny Valley" and I'm pretty sure my mouth hung open whilst reading about it.

Quickly review this page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UncannyValley

Am I crazy to think MP may have been aware of the "Uncanny Valley" and that he based his IG name after it, perhaps Uncanny_Matty was the not 100% human (fake) version of his real human self (Marty)? He certainly looks less than human in many photos with his beautiful, lively wife, like something just isn't quite right. Know what I mean? Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm probably crazy.

So, I was lining up podcasts for my drive home this afternoon. I came across one titled "The Uncanny Valley." I thought that was rather peculiar--Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, anyone?

Well, my Bluetooth was being fussy so I wasn't able to listen to it. I looked into the "Uncanny Valley" and I'm pretty sure my mouth hung open whilst reading about it.

Quickly review this page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UncannyValley

Am I crazy to think MP may have been aware of the "Uncanny Valley" and that he based his IG name after it, perhaps Uncanny_Matty was the not 100% human (fake) version of his real human self (Marty)? He certainly looks less than human in many photos with his beautiful, lively wife, like something just isn't quite right. Know what I mean? Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm probably crazy.
SABBM

Umm, no you're not. :) Hth.:p

My .02 is that he was "off" long before this and either no one saw signs -- or if they had a premonition--- they tried to ignore it.
Possibly Lauren saw him for what he was shortly before her murder-- like a day or two ??

Some people have two or more sides, and are able to compartmentalize their different 'selves'. I think he did have violent tendencies and suppressed or masked them.

A little harder if you're married and the other person sees you day and night.
Either he just exploded or she unintentionally triggered the monster.
Wonder if she'd started discussing separation ?
:moo:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndieLiz