GUILTY Canada - Shannon Burgess, 25, Calgary, 26 Nov 2014 - #4 *Arrest*

Wondering if he would have had access to a concrete supplier.. i'm thinking with the concrete slabs/chunks being that thick, he would have needed SO much concrete.. it looks like it would be a fairly noticeable thing to have a concrete delivery into that yard location, and/or to have been lugging bags and bags of the stuff from his vehicle (from the parking area?) to the tarped location?

i am still so shocked that none of the neighbours, in such close quarters, reported seeing anything, in one way or another. It was interesting re-watching the clip of the police press conference.. at 6:58 the officer explicitly says, "it wasn't a tip". I'm very curious to know what led to their pursuing a search warrant 7 months into the investigation. I guess it could have been so many things which led to the search warrant so long after the fact, without a tip necessarily being called in. I suppose it is even possible that police came to his door to re-question him on something, and noticed an odor and/or saw some recent (perhaps homemade looking?) concrete work.

I know nothing about concrete, and couldn't even begin to estimate how much concrete was needed to cover the area where Shannon was buried.

Given that there was a missing person, and it seemed obvious to some of us that she never left the apartment, it wouldn't surprise me if police were keeping an eye on him, watching his purchases, tapping his phone, and waiting for him to make a move that would justify a search warrant. New concrete in the backyard and a missing wife might have been enough for the warrant.

It's shocking to me that his trial date is still over a year away

[h=3]Scheduling of Red Deer murder trial threatening to derail 2 Calgary trials[/h]
"Burgess is accused of killing his wife, Shannon Madill, and hiding her body at the home the couple shared in Ramsay. He was charged 28 months ago.
That trial was originally set for February 2018, but Pepper was concerned about the Jordan timelines, so she and Fay had it rebooked for November.

Pepper said the Madill's family is upset and anxious over the threat of a delay. Many have flights booked so they can attend the trial.
"We strenuously object to any adjournment of the Burgess trial," said Pepper. "There are people who have been affected by this crime who are expecting to be here."
'I want to know why'

Pepper says her properly scheduled trial shouldn't be affected by the judge's inability to sit for a week, which hasn't been explained.
"I don't know why they're not sitting, but I want to know why," she said.
In his 30 years as a practising lawyer, Fay said he's never been involved in a situation like this. He has already said on the record he will make a Jordan application if the Burgess trial is adjourned."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ry-klaus-frank-burgess-ngyuen-chief-1.4397089

[h=3]Scheduling of Red Deer murder trial threatening to derail 2 Calgary trials[/h]
"Burgess is accused of killing his wife, Shannon Madill, and hiding her body at the home the couple shared in Ramsay. He was charged 28 months ago.
That trial was originally set for February 2018, but Pepper was concerned about the Jordan timelines, so she and Fay had it rebooked for November.

Pepper said the Madill's family is upset and anxious over the threat of a delay. Many have flights booked so they can attend the trial.
"We strenuously object to any adjournment of the Burgess trial," said Pepper. "There are people who have been affected by this crime who are expecting to be here."
'I want to know why'

Pepper says her properly scheduled trial shouldn't be affected by the judge's inability to sit for a week, which hasn't been explained.
"I don't know why they're not sitting, but I want to know why," she said.
In his 30 years as a practising lawyer, Fay said he's never been involved in a situation like this. He has already said on the record he will make a Jordan application if the Burgess trial is adjourned."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ry-klaus-frank-burgess-ngyuen-chief-1.4397089

An update today:

"Justice Eric Macklin (the Judge in the Red Deer trial), who is hearing the case without a jury, has said the trial needs to be completed by Nov. 27 because defence lawyers are scheduled for other cases. It was originally to last four weeks, but was delayed by 14 days, so Macklin said court will sit longer each day and on Saturdays, if necessary, to meet the deadline."
http://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-p...-him/wcm/6ae1df7c-9e64-4f5b-9503-a6d85e4b2087

Can you imagine the outrage from the victim's family and loved ones if their loved one's killer walks free without even having a trial? Why would the Crown have failed to give the Defence notice that they'd be calling certain evidence, when they know the rules?

.... two trials in Calgary are on the brink.

But lawyers in those cases have been told they’ll be proceeding as scheduled in less than two weeks, despite Macklin’s insistence he wants the trial before him completed before anything else can be done.

Lawyers in the Calgary cases, the domestic-related murder trial of Joshua Burgess and the continuation of the conspiracy to commit murder trial of three alleged gangsters, have been told they will proceed as scheduled on Nov. 27, and Nov. 29, respectively.

Meanwhile, the triple-murder trial of Joshua Frank and Jason Klaus in the killings of Klaus’ parents and adult sister, continues in Red Deer.

That trial — originally scheduled for seven weeks — was supposed to be concluded by Nov. 24.

But because of an issue involving the Crown not giving defence notice they would be calling evidence of a Mr. Big operation, defence lawyers were granted a two-week delay to prepare for that testimony.

Matters were further complicated when Macklin said he wasn’t going to be available for the seventh and final week.

Macklin hasn’t explained what was tying him up that he couldn’t preside over the Red Deer case, but he has since made himself available for that time period.

Lawyers for Klaus (Allan Fay) and Frank (Tonii Roulston and Andrea Urquhart) are scheduled to be in Calgary trials the following week, so an earlier pronouncement by Macklin that the Red Deer trial would continue until it’s done is in direct conflict with the Calgary cases.

Obviously the lawyers can’t be in two courtrooms at the same time, especially in two cities an hour and a half apart.

If the Red Deer trial isn’t completed before Nov. 27, there will be an application on at least one major criminal case seeking a judicial stay based on unreasonable delay.

The Burgess trial was set for November, with the express purpose of avoiding surpassing the Jordan deadline.

If it has to be adjourned, it will be months before a new, two-week trial period will be available.
http://calgarysun.com/opinion/columnists/martin-time-of-the-essence-in-calgary-courtrooms

The Red Deer trial is complex - two charged with triple murder in the 1st degree and is currently embroiled in the defendants pointing the finger of guilt at each other. Both are testifying, which also couldn't have been predicted in advance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...-allegations-at-triple-murder-trial-1.4417403

Today is the 24th. Will this trial be concluded by Monday if court is held tomorrow, Saturday? On Monday, Nov 27th the defense lawyers are supposed to commence Calgary trials including the murder trial of Shannon Burgess. It's looking very doubtful. However that not to say a judicial stay will automatically be granted.

In my opinion, the blame squarely lies with the Federal Govt who refuses to appoint more Judges in light of the Supreme Court ruling, as well the Provincial Govt who's priority is not additional courtroom space. Thus court dockets are jam-packed months and years in advance with absolutely no room for flexibility.

The Klaus and Frank trial is definitely going into next week. It's worth mentioning that Klaus's defence attorney, Allan Fay also filed a Jordan application to have the triple murder charges thrown out for unreasonable delay in this case. IIRC, one cause of the delay was because his client fired his previous attorney.

"Lawyers for Jason Klaus argued in August that his trial was taking too long.
However, their Jordan application was denied by the judge last week."
https://globalnews.ca/news/3734322/...ad-for-alberta-man-accused-of-killing-family/

So now Allan Kay is also defending Burgess and once again the threat of filing a Jordan application on that case is on the table according to the Calgary Sun.

But is it really?

The Supreme Court ruling R v Jordan occured mid 2016 and I notice thiis:

".........However, the court provided a ray of hope for prosecutors and crime victims seeking to overturn the dismissals of serious charges because of the Jordan case, including murder and child abuse. While not softening the principles it set out last year – which established strict new time limits for criminal trials, including 30 months in superior court, where Mr. Cody was to be tried – the court stressed that serious offences that were already in the system before the Jordan ruling should be harder to dismiss.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...sion-to-ensure-timely-trials/article35326050/

Plus this, Burgess was arrested July 5, 2015.

"Burgess was charged with the slaying of his wife more than seven months after she disappeared on Nov. 27, 2014.
He was arrested after her body was discovered July 3, 2015, at the Spiller Road S.E. residence they shared......"
http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/accused-wife-killer-joshua-burgess-to-stand-trial

His trial was even moved forward from the original date of early 2018.

"...A trial date has been set for a Calgary man accused of killing his wife.
The trial for Joshua Burgess by judge and jury is scheduled to last three weeks beginning Feb. 20, 2018......."
https://globalnews.ca/news/2989341/...rial-in-2018-for-wife-shannon-madills-murder/

So aside from the fact the murder of SB occured prior to the Supreme Court ruling, if my math is correct 30 months from July 5, 2015 is Jan 5, 2018. Therefore no clock is ticking precisely on Nov 27th.

I think the Calgary Sun reporter who wrote this -
"The Burgess trial was set for November, with the express purpose of avoiding surpassing the Jordan deadline."
- was practicing a little creative speculation. JMO

".....The ongoing Red Deer triple-murder trial of two central Alberta men is going to delay two major cases in Calgary.

The second-degree murder trial of Calgary man Joshua Burgess was set to begin Monday, while the continuation of the trial of three men charged with conspiracy to murder a rival gang member was to start Wednesday.

Now, both those cases have been pushed to Dec. 4, as defence lawyers in those matters remain tied up in Red Deer, in a trial that was originally scheduled to end last Friday...."
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ases/wcm/0ac71b7a-152a-46fd-b53f-0acd69c82364

UPDATED: Calgary man who strangled wife so she'd 'stop talking' gets life sentence with no parole for 10 years
December 4, 2017

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/joshua-burgess-shannon-madill-guilty-plea-1.4431581

From your link ---

Seven long months must've seemed like an eternity for the family, wondering where was Shannon. Too bad his suicide attempt wasn't successful.

".........After he killed her — strangling her with his hands and then his belt — Burgess put Madill's body in a plastic bin that sat through the winter on the patio of the home they shared in the Ramsay neighbourhood.

When the ground thawed, Burgess dug a hole in his lawn and buried her there, covering her body in dirt and branches.

"I chose my lawn because I just didn't want her to leave," Burgess told police after his arrest seven months later.......

........In July 2015, police went to Burgess's home to execute a search warrant on his phone but when officers showed up, Burgess wouldn't come out right away and told a detective over the phone that he had killed Madill, according to the agreed statement of facts.

After hours of negotiations, Burgess emerged but had tried to slit his own throat and was taken to hospital. Once released, he confessed to the murder during a police interrogation...."

UPDATED: Calgary man who strangled wife so she'd 'stop talking' gets life sentence with no parole for 10 years
December 4, 2017

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/joshua-burgess-shannon-madill-guilty-plea-1.4431581

When given the chance to address the court, Burgess apologized for the pain he'd caused.

"I'm very sorry for the vows that I made, that I promised to look after her, no matter what the circumstances were," said Burgess. "I failed her in that.

Seems a bizarre statement, to me. Since when did "I killed her" become "I failed to fulfill my vow to look after her"? Should the vow have been more explicit "I vow to love, honour, and not kill you, even when I wish you'd stop talking..."?

Seems a bizarre statement, to me. Since when did "I killed her" become "I failed to fulfill my vow to look after her"? Should the vow have been more explicit "I vow to love, honour, and not kill you, even when I wish you'd stop talking..."?

I can't believe he is truly sincere in his remorse and the tone of his confession is creepy. The seven months before he confessed is a long time to not be remorseful.

His reference to marriage vows is indeed bizarre. I wonder if that's how he justified Shannon's murder --- if she no longer loved and cherished him, then he had the right to cause her death (if their vows were traditional).

"....... to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part......."

10 years?

smh :facepalm:

Ten years is normal for spousal homicide with second degree murder conviction. I guess she told him that she planned to move to Edmonton for her career and he didn't like that, so he murdered her. Her career would be soaring right now if she were alive. Voice actors are increasingly in demand.

I'm still curious about the person who posted on this thread, who so strenuously insisted that the husband wasn't guilty, and who made so many illogical claims that ultimately the only obvious conclusion was that her body was still at the home ... I'm curious about what the relationship was between that person and the husband.

I'm also curious why no one found her body when both police and her family had an opportunity to look around their home when she was first missing. According to recent information, at the same time her body was in a plastic bin in the very small back yard.

Dang, I missed this.. guess I didn't miss too much though since he plead guilty and so we won't hear most (any?) of the evidence.

I am wondering if it was the accused who, through his own actions unknown to us, prompted the police to seek a search warrant (for his phone) at the late date of July (after SM had been 'missing' since December, some 7 months earlier). Was it his own guilty conscience that led to him perhaps contacting police himself? Otherwise, what was the reasoning for obtaining his cellphone 7 months after the fact?

It *seems* like he wasn't having a lot of remorse and guilt, considering he went about his daily life, had a publicly affectionate relationship with his new girlfriend, etc., in the meantime. It wasn't until police showed up at his door that he tried to take his own life.

I feel so bad for JB's mother. I am not sure, but I believe he may have been her only child. So sad all around. I always think that way. Needless killing, and so many lives affected so negatively. It was graceful of SB's mom to publicly think about JB's mom's feelings. Where's his dad? Does anyone else notice how it seems to be so very often that many of these killers had a rather absent father?

I had always suspected it was the husband, but I had thought it made more sense that he killed her and dumped her at the side of the road somewhere in the stretch between Edmonton and Calgary.

Why is it that the man has his wife in a Tupperware bin on his porch for months after she disappears and yet police don't notice, even right away? Wouldn't that be one of the first things your eyes would go to as you took a look around? And her family also. I realize we can't be looking under beds for bodies when we visit the husband of our missing loved ones, but jeez. Would love to hear the gory details of how on earth the accused went for some 7 months unsuspected by the victim's family. Surely SB's family and friends must have realized that emotions can be volatile during a separation when spouses are still living together? And even if he had been an accepted member of SB's family, how can that potential issue be swept aside? Why was everyone too willing to believe she just nodded off into nowhere land with no contact with anyone from her life?

Do I remember reading at one point that JB had to be taken to hospital while he was in jail?

Are we convinced that the two 'were intimate' for one last time, just prior to her murder? I'm getting from that statement of fact that SB's body must have been naked, perhaps with his DNA in her body. (Would they be able to tell at the late date of July when her remains were found in the plastic bin?) She had been away in Edmonton, IIRC, and come home.. just prior to her 'disappearance'? There was much discussion about all of this at the time. They each had already gone on to have a new girlfriend/boyfriend, even though still officially residing together. I recall that they had always had an 'open marriage'. I guess it was okay to sleep with others, but not to 'leave'. jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayne_solves
Back