CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of things:

1) Thank you to the WSers who transcribed and described the presser today! Much appreciated.

2) I really want to see an interview with the Elvis guy. He might be the person who knows the family best! Seriously.

jmo

For everyone trying to connect this to their religious beliefs- LE stated in the presser they did not find any religious
connection to the parents' behavior and treatment of their children. If that comes up in their future defense, I still
think it's just a cop out.

If the younger sister was being sexually abused after Louise's marriage, maybe Louise was the victim before she got married and left. Good reason to marry at 16 and get outta dodge. MOO.

Anyone familiar with the Quiverfull movement knows the codespeak they use: "Called by God" to have unending children. "Blessings".

I think it is clear that the number of their kids was at least justified religiously. But obviously a lot of dysfunction was going on with those people. I'm guessing maybe some high functioning neurological issues could even be at play.

One thing however. It is fact that abuse of all kinds, family violence, sexual assaults, poverty and neglect, are all high in religious patriarchies. If that's the background these two came from they could have been subjected to a lot of abuse that became generational.

Grandma said they had a "strict homeschooling" environment and the kids were memorizing large tracts of the Bible and the parents justified their number of children religiously. So I'm pretty sure religion played some role here.

Sadly, that is not unusual.

True. Could also tie into a feeling of general paranoia or that "the outside world is evil" and some seriously hefty trust issues.

JMO
That exact mentality is one of the things brought up as a possible reason why the Bevers children did not seem to adjust or associate well with other normal kids their age. The two brothers ended up killing their parents and three other family members.

Unique religious beliefs played a big part in that case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Arrow_killings

No doubt in my mind BOTH parents are complicit in this rat's nest of a family. Each supported the other in how they treated the children. As I mentioned previously, IMO, they are both selfish narcissists. Notice in the videos how
enamored the parents are of each other, but no affection shown towards any of the neglected children.

In families where children are neglected and abused physically and emotionally, besides the starvation (as stated by the 17 yr. old daughter), eating even when there is food offered can become a control thing for some kids. The kid
may refuse to eat because they are ordered to eat- because an abusive parent 'says to eat". I've seen this also in real life. That poor boy in the Elvis video trying to dance and his leg under the pants looked like a broom stick, it was so
skinny.

In real life, I knew a woman who said her parents were so in love with each other, they had no time or feeling for their children. I guess it does happen that way.

Geesh......I don't know where to start with this....

When did home schooling become popular ?..well...when I went to school,I thought it was illegal NOT to go....?

How did they get away with no hospital visits ????? I was in and out yearly with bike accidents, high fevers ....the usual childhood ailments.
The girls.....oh my.
....and Cariis....where are you?

In many states there are religious exemptions for a whole mess of things. Like going to school. Home schooling or private religious schools are both only minimally (and in some cases not at all) accountable for anything. Try to make a case that kids are being neglected because they don't get regular check-ups if the parents claim religious beliefs. Doesn't fly unless/until things are life-threatening. I have seen a whole online community of religious home-schoolers go to bat for families that lose their children due to abuse/neglect charges claiming that the state is discriminating against devout Christians. And if your family is effectively "off the grid," as in, not enrolled in school, no regular medical care, neighbors didn't even know how many kids lived next door to them, well, you can go a good long while before anyone takes notice.

JMO
That exact mentality is one of the things brought up as a possible reason why the Bevers children did not seem to adjust or associate well with other normal kids their age. The two brothers ended up killing their parents and three other family members.

Unique religious beliefs played a big part in this case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Arrow_killings

Yeah, "unique religious beliefs". There are a lot of them out there. I've been going through hunting, pecking, listening, wondering, believing, sometimes throwing the whole mess out the window. Yeah, there are a lot of "unique religious beliefs" out there. The one thing most of us need to understand is love and love doesn't starve your children or chain them to the furniture.

Just popping in randomly, so I apologise if this post is repetitive or out of place.

Note the sash ribbons on the girls in the wedding photos. In one set there's one girl with a smooth satin pink ribbon sash while the rest have the more dark pink layered/pleated ones but in the other wedding photos two of the girls have the lighter pink ribbon sashes. So maybe some did get new dresses for the second round but still doesn't explain why the one girl has a different sash in the other one. It could be as simple as they miscalculated the amount of ribbon and then couldn't get more later but I'm wondering exactly how many times these weddings have really been done...idk... Maybe I'm overthinking.

And there's the one boy who I guess is the ring bearer in the one wedding but it almost looks like he's helping officiate or something. All very creepy. mom with her deer in the headlights crazy eyes and dad with his weird hair and almost boyish sheepish grin. The kids are all so skinny and identical... Their upper arms in the photo where they're jumping highlights the skinniness.

This story has me riveted.

In regard to the sashed dress- I had noticed that in the 2016 photo one young girl had the pink satiny ribbon. But in the 2013 (if I recall) photos more than one girl had the same dress (top part embroidered and the satin sash) I believe It was 2 or 3 (I saw this late last night and now my work day has my mind muddled as social work does). Perhaps this is just their “smaller Girl version” of their plaid ensemble. The same girl wearing the pink satin sash in 2016 I believe has a very large bandaid on her forehead in the “thing”’s t shirt photo. Just a small observation, I almost didn’t notice It Blended very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a national conversation about the abuse that happens within schools too. While I do NOT condone how these parents raised their children, I also don't think they represent homeschooling in general.

jmo

I would agree that this family is atypical of the home school population. However, I do hold them to account for their support of laws that serve to exempt homeschoolers from any oversight. HSLDA has backed off some in their willingness to defend each and every homeschool family accused of abuse and/or neglect. But they still attract a number of followers convinced that any state oversight is motivated by religious animosity (at best) and a whole slew of other ills (medical trafficking, for instance).

Speaking of family issues, also, I found an author interview where her sister talks about fasting for 90 days to try to bring her husband back after he left with the children.

I think that one commonality with quivering families is that none actually align with a denomination. Quivering is sort of its own thing. It is my understanding that many quiverers form their own church, headed by the patriarch. This conveniently sidesteps any accountability to a larger church structure that MIGHT develop an awareness of theological idiocy or spot abuse. It is my impression that many are the end product of splintering--first a church that declares independence from their denomination (frequently following a charismatic leader). Then any who might challenge that leadership break away into ever smaller sects until arriving at the family as being "the church." Hence, if Dad is a-ok with mom's cleavage, but insists on 1970s hairstyles, well then, so be it. The word of Dad is the Word of God.

Great information. And true from what I've seen. (I'm fascinated by the movement).

there is another fundamentalist christian family out there that has a blog..
David and Jill Rodrigues and the photos of their kids are strikingly similar to these kids..
All the kids are horriblly thin, the parents are well fed, especially the dad.

The mom is stuck in the 80s, with horrible hair and horrible 80s makeup and all the poor girls are made to wear this awful makeup...

check them out, they are awfuly similar to these people.. they live in a trailer with 13 kids, shes pregnant with the newest, they kept the baby in a small cage/crib in the closet of the RV.

Oh i know of that family well (online stuff) and didn't think of them but you're right! And their videos are so reminiscent. Tons of poverty. Super thin kids with healthy looking parents. An eccentric pathology to the manner of dress, make up and clothing. Super weird speech patterns and mannerisms in the part of the kids likely due to isolation.

Even their bathroom in the house they got is bizarre- carpet around the shower
cabinet. How moldy would that get!

There are some interesting families out there.

But I guarantee you nothing would be done if people called for a welfare
check. They're not starving even though they they appear deprived. Social services looks at the minimum when deciding to act.

There's a rise in homeschooling in general. Not in abuse within homeschooling families. Unfortunately, dysfunctional families are using homeschooling as a means to hide abuse. So it is attracting some crazy people.

https://digitalcommons.law.byu.edu/...le.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1335&context=elj

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-sinister-side-of-homeschooling

Also, homeschooling is quite popular among more secretive people and religious people who likely believe more strongly in corporal punishment, which enables a slide into abuse more likely than among people who don't believe in it.

But clearly the vast majority of homeschoolers are normal families. In fact, I think it's safe to say the majority are families who are the opposite of neglectful or abusive as they tend to be super concerned with their kid's educations and very involved in their lives and growth and development.

I think stats bear that out- homeschool kids apparently do well academically in college and are successful in the world.

So I think it's not that people who homeschool are weird or dangerous. But I think weird or dangerous people might be attracted to it.

Of course, there are always going to be people who use homeschooling to hide nefarious behavior. Just like there are people who use their occupations (how many teachers are abusing students? Now that is proven to be on the rise!,) social standing, occupational standing, etc...to hide horrible behaviors. I don't deny that there are fringe folks who have lives they try to keep hidden, by controlling every aspect of their children's lives...including "schooling" at home. But there are no statistics or proof that abuse in families of homeschoolers is on the rise.

Don't know what the homeschooling check and balance is across the the country, but the abuses outlined in this link make this case almost textbook.

Obviously homeschooling was the vehicle for the abuse.

Wonder if something happened in Texas and that's why the parents moved the family...

Coalition For Responsible Home Education

https://www.responsiblehomeschoolin...-neglect/abuse-in-homeschooling-environments/

We also protect the rights of minor children, those who aren't old enough to make their own choices and take care of themselves. This is really an issue of the state needing to protect the rights of minors from abuse. Their rights count, too. They have a right to be well fed and live in a safe, clean environment. They also have the right to formal education until they're age 18.

Since we're seeing a rise in child abuse in situations where children are schooled at home, perhaps the best option is to require parents who are home schooling children to bring them into school periodically for the same educational testing and health checks (vision, hearing, etc.) that kids in public schools receive. It would give authorities the opportunity to make sure home schooled children are being properly educated and are receiving adequate nutrition and health care.

Most states require homeschooled children to be tested or evaluated yearly (we test and submit scores and a notice of intent to the city yearly in VA) and most children who are homeschooled attend outside groups, classes, etc.. IME the very vast majority of homeschooling parents do so in the best interest of their children. Those who are not doing it for their children’s best interests would absolutely go 100% off-grid with their kids and be even harder to find if homeschooling wasn’t an option. Honestly I’m pretty surprised that these parents were complying with homeschooling laws in their state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is another fundamentalist christian family out there that has a blog..
David and Jill Rodrigues and the photos of their kids are strikingly similar to these kids..
All the kids are horriblly thin, the parents are well fed, especially the dad.

The mom is stuck in the 80s, with horrible hair and horrible 80s makeup and all the poor girls are made to wear this awful makeup...

check them out, they are awfuly similar to these people.. they live in a trailer with 13 kids, shes pregnant with the newest, they kept the baby in a small cage/crib in the closet of the RV.

BBM, I was raised by my grandparents. They often spoke about the man in the family eating good food while the rest didn't. This is nothing new. I don't believe it's a "religious" thing, just a fact of life, probably practiced by many "tribes" in the old days.

I wonder if someone should report this to authorities?
How do they look sickly? They look healthy to me. This family has plenty of public social media to almost instantly dispute any rash accusations.MOO

Just popping in randomly, so I apologise if this post is repetitive or out of place.

Note the sash ribbons on the girls in the wedding photos. In one set there's one girl with a smooth satin pink ribbon sash while the rest have the more dark pink layered/pleated ones but in the other wedding photos two of the girls have the lighter pink ribbon sashes. So maybe some did get new dresses for the second round but still doesn't explain why the one girl has a different sash in the other one. It could be as simple as they miscalculated the amount of ribbon and then couldn't get more later but I'm wondering exactly how many times these weddings have really been done...idk... Maybe I'm overthinking.

And there's the one boy who I guess is the ring bearer in the one wedding but it almost looks like he's helping officiate or something. All very creepy. mom with her deer in the headlights crazy eyes and dad with his weird hair and almost boyish sheepish grin. The kids are all so skinny and identical... Their upper arms in the photo where they're jumping highlights the skinniness.

I'm guessing this was a snowball effect... Like they're both odd and or mentally ill and or evil and or unworldly and the longer it went on the more it gathered momentum and size and they probably controlled everything increasingly strict and so on.

Like I mentioned before, I've been around a lot of very large religious families, and I've seen ones where they were allowed one square of toilet paper for number one and 2 for 2. (Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine needs TP in the lady's room) and some families are rather food restrictive where the children of all ages had to ask permission to get a glass of milk or anything except water. Home schooling to avoid any talk of evolution or sex or gender equality or science that reveals the anachronisms of their beliefs. This reminds me of those families.

This story has me riveted.

There's a thing about putting your kids in all the same color and type shirts to find them in a crowd.From the Disney photo, I think it's more about the color, rather than the exact shade of the color. His mother mentioned something about them dressing the kids alike, with one of them in front, and the other in back, because of fear of losing one (or maybe that little rebel getting away). They dressed all my grandchild's class alike, for their school trip. All the other schools picked a color and did the same. The only thing that I found that might be helpful about it, was the name of the school was on their shirts. Someone mentioned the girl's parts in their hair. I'd guess that the girl's part either fell in the middle or on the side.

I've been around some kids from very strict religious upbringings too, but they weren't chained to their beds. These folks are extreme and, I think, have become fearful of the "world" around them. They remind me of a couple of those t.v. show families, too, only on steroids.

I don't believe, at this point (it's up for change), that they were intentionally starving their kids but I do believe they were food restrictive. I was brought up to ask prior to getting a pop, or a snack, we weren't allowed to just dig around in the fridge. Mom planned meals, and went to the store once a week, and stayed on budget. Period. One didn't waste food, nor eat, just to be eating.

O/T The Seinfeld show. Love it, and that episode!

Can't believe the grandma (DM article) said they (Turpins) were "respectable" !

Just how ignorant can a person get ??
Signs of abuse that were allowed to go unchecked, fgs !!!

One clear sign of danger is when a child/children go 'unseen' for a time. As in -- no one outside the family sees them 'out and about'.
Guessing there was possible sex abuse and/or incest ? Like V.C. Andrews in real life. :(

So disgusted with these monsters.
You DO NOT starve and isolate growing children...yours or anyone else's.

What this despicable twosome have done to these children is appalling... somewhat like Fred and Rose West in their house of horrors. :(
:moo:

Welcome to newcomers!

Just a word about WS - there are rules here about what can be posted. Copying from FB pages is not allowed. Also, naming family members is not allowed. Look at the top of the page for a link to the rules.

And, again, welcome! Always good to have new people join the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa