Identified! Oh - Eastlake, Whtmale 454umoh, 70, Alias 'jnchandler Iii', Jul'02 - Robert Ivan Nichols

...When I search ancestry for the man by his first name, middle initial, last name with his exact date of birth as it appears on the Rapid City address record I find that 3 people have him listed in their family trees. He died in 2009 in Rapid City....

Obviously the people listing the same man as dying in 09, then they likely were related and not our UID.

However, in my experience, especially using other's Ancestry trees, if someone doesn't have info but another does, if the person shares the other's data without proof it's their kin then incorrect info can be spread. Such as, I was looking for Louis Kolar with a birthday, but could only find Louis Kohler born a year off and the day was wrong. It's likely him, as records were handwritten and could be inaccurate from back in 1900; but if there were 5 others using this data they'll put my ancestors in their tree and boom, who is whose Louis? (Go back to 1680 and imagine my research nightmare...)

Also, many families used the same names throughout generations. Maybe one of these guys you're finding is a nephew or something. Because sometimes people drop off the radar or are forced. So for decades there's no mention and you get a young adult researching genealogy and they literally would have no clue because everyone already died.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just two things. We did have an address in South Dakota where the birth certificate was sent. It should be in the thread somewhere. And two, the UID did claim to have a sister in Columbus, Ohio.
haven't those addresses proven to be non existent or vacant at time?

Reposting Lola's post #63 which contains the links to investagotory documents. The address is in there somewhere with the list of former tenant names. I didn't find it yet. But reading his application for an apartment in Ohio, I noticed he has very unusual capital "M"s.

Quote Originally Posted by lola2923 View Post
A few more links to case files and other correspondence with regards to this case I have just come across..

<ADMIN NOTE: WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES AT LINKS>

Case Part 1: http://www.scribd.com/doc/267598309/...II-Case-part-1
Case Part 2: http://www.scribd.com/doc/267598508/...II-Case-part-2
Case Part 3: http://www.scribd.com/doc/267598502/...II-Case-part-3
I do have the unedited crime scene photo links, but did not post them due to the graphic nature... I am new here and not sure what is allowed and what is not.

Address where social security card went:

2326 1/2 Canyon Lake Drive, D
Rapid City, South Dakota.

I can't access the other documents due to some membership requirement for Scribd.

One weird thing in studying what I could access. He purchased the gun in 2002 according to a receipt they found. The gun was originally purchased in Seagon, TX in 1966. His supposed resume begins in CA. in 1966. Coincidence? Or, do we not know enough about this gun? It appears to me the receipt was found in his belongings. Did he own the gun, hock it and buy it back? Is the receipt phony? But handwriting on receipt doesnt look like his. Too many missing pieces in this part of the investigation. Did he buy the gun in Texas and then reestablish in CA.? Is this guy originally from Texas?

Just two things. We did have an address in South Dakota where the birth certificate was sent. It should be in the thread somewhere. And two, the UID did claim to have a sister in Columbus, Ohio.

I can't access the other documents due to some membership requirement for Scribd.

One weird thing in studying what I could access. He purchased the gun in 2002 according to a receipt they found. The gun was originally purchased in Seagon, TX in 1966. His supposed resume begins in CA. in 1966. Coincidence? Or, do we not know enough about this gun? It appears to me the receipt was found in his belongings. Did he own the gun, hock it and buy it back? Is the receipt phony? But handwriting on receipt doesnt look like his. Too many missing pieces in this part of the investigation. Did he buy the gun in Texas and then reestablish in CA.? Is this guy originally from Texas?

Thanks for bringing that forward, that is NOT the address I was referencing above. I was discussing an address found on Ancestry by Creepedout. That address found by Creepout no longer exists but the person listed was real (died in 2009) and therefore not JNC.

Obviously the people listing the same man as dying in 09, then they likely were related and not our UID.

However, in my experience, especially using other's Ancestry trees, if someone doesn't have info but another does, if the person shares the other's data without proof it's their kin then incorrect info can be spread. Such as, I was looking for Louis Kolar with a birthday, but could only find Louis Kohler born a year off and the day was wrong. It's likely him, as records were handwritten and could be inaccurate from back in 1900; but if there were 5 others using this data they'll put my ancestors in their tree and boom, who is whose Louis? (Go back to 1680 and imagine my research nightmare...)

Also, many families used the same names throughout generations. Maybe one of these guys you're finding is a nephew or something. Because sometimes people drop off the radar or are forced. So for decades there's no mention and you get a young adult researching genealogy and they literally would have no clue because everyone already died.

Yes, I get what you are saying and agree that family trees can be wrong. In this instance (talking about the RN person Creepedout found) the family trees have additional documentation attached showing the man and his parents were Native Americans who lived in Rapid City and he had a Social Security Death record for 2009 with a birthdate matching (day/month/year) the birthdate attached to the no-longer-existing-address from the 1970's. So he was not JNC.

In regards to the actual address that we know JNC used it might have been one that formerly existed but is no longer in use. But I have not researched that address. I follow this case somewhat sporadically.

In part two of the case file above, just a few pages down, is a rental application, where he listed his closest relative as "Mary R. Wilson", no phone number, 1823 Center Street, Columbus, OH, no zip code. Noted elsewhere in the case file (can't find at the moment) is something about "Address not located", and that's because it's completely fictitious. Google maps first asks which zip code, 43213 or 43219. Clicking on either lands you on a "Center Street" but nowhere near the correct house number.

Do you mean Seagoville, Dallas County and partially Kaufman County, Texas for the gun purchase? Dallas suburb? There is no Seagon that I find.

Big prison there.

In part two of the case file above, just a few pages down, is a rental application, where he listed his closest relative as "Mary R. Wilson", no phone number, 1823 Center Street, Columbus, OH, no zip code. Noted elsewhere in the case file (can't find at the moment) is something about "Address not located", and that's because it's completely fictitious. Google maps first asks which zip code, 43213 or 43219. Clicking on either lands you on a "Center Street" but nowhere near the correct house number.
What if the address was written incorrectly by accident or even on purpose. What if the person is real and he just put her maiden name to avoid detection or she was a friend, neighbor, or name he found in the phone book, etc.

Unlikely, but just dreaming she could be a lead.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Thanks for bringing that forward, that is NOT the address I was referencing above. I was discussing an address found on Ancestry by Creepedout. That address found by Creepout no longer exists but the person listed was real (died in 2009) and therefore not JNC.

Just wanted to bring the last known address forward in case someone researching family trees came across it.

Do you mean Seagoville, Dallas County and partially Kaufman County, Texas for the gun purchase? Dallas suburb? There is no Seagon that I find.

Big prison there.

You could be right. I guess I only had half a memory, so half the name. Lol. Thank you for the prison info though. I didn't know this.

Story was very short. A lot more detail may trigger someone's memory.

Agree, the Cleveland Plain Dealer article at the link has much more detail, but not everyone will click through. It might help if local Oklahoma news media could mention his work as an electrical engineer, etc. Seems possible he worked in the same field when he was in Oklahoma. He may have even studied engineering while living there. Wonder if it would help to check any old college yearbooks from that era? What about the military? A lot of men of his generation who were electrical engineers learned their trade while serving in the Air Force or other branch of the military.

ETA: Here's a link to the list of military bases in Oklahoma

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_units_and_installations_in_Oklahoma

The Air Force bases are:

Tinker AFB - Oklahoma City
Altus AFB - Altus
Vance AFB - Enid

There were also Naval Air training bases in the area then, now closed. One was in Clinton, OK,the other in Norman, OK.
Both were training facilities.

After WWII, there was big demand for sharp military recruits to train in electrical engineering. The US military was converting to jets and the Cold War was on so they quickly developed big programs for aviation electronics and electrical engineering. For someone of "Joseph Chandler"s age, the military was the most likely place he would have received that training.

I hope the US Marshals are able to get Oklahoma City news outlets to cover the story as well.

ETA#2: The Plain Dealer article also mentions they were able to connect a bank account in South Dakota to Chandler. They should also check military records for electrical engineers stationed at the Air Force bases there. It might also help to distribute his info and photos to some of the Air Force veterans groups.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2014/10/chasing_a_ghost_us_marshal_inv.html

In a Google search, I found an article that will no longer load, but the Google cache still exists:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s-case-unknown-man/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

This article states the Rapid City address where the social security card was sent was a dilapidated shack. This says to me it probably had nothing to do with him, and was just a convenient place where the mail would still arrive into the box and no one else would check it.

In a Google search, I found an article that will no longer load, but the Google cache still exists:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s-case-unknown-man/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

This article states the Rapid City address where the social security card was sent was a dilapidated shack. This says to me it probably had nothing to do with him, and was just a convenient place where the mail would still arrive into the box and no one else would check it.

Reading this story prompted me to google east Liverpool Ohio murders in the 1970s. Oh boy. So many. Just don't know which ones Marshall Elliott was referring to. He must have some reason to think of this guy. 173 miles between Columbus and east Liverpool and 107 between Cleveland and east Liverpool. Not sure what the Marshall is thinking here.

Reading this story prompted me to google east Liverpool Ohio murders in the 1970s. Oh boy. So many. Just don't know which ones Marshall Elliott was referring to. He must have some reason to think of this guy. 173 miles between Columbus and east Liverpool and 107 between Cleveland and east Liverpool. Not sure what the Marshall is thinking here.
Yeah, not much to go on for a theory by leaving us a cliffhanger..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back