Gun Control Debate #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have heard something like that bobcat, however, can you please provide a source link to back up your statement?

Thanks,
Tricia

Sure. I looked it up and find that in 2017, according to Wikipedia, there were 7 deaths from shootings that happened in schools. There were 5 people who were shot, but not killed, so if included, that's 12 people shot in schools in one year in the U.S.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Lightning deaths, at a record low number for 2017 was 16, according to USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/996949001

While it is all well and good to judge, here, on an anonymous forum, take it to your town councils, I suggest meet the peeps who live differently than you. I know this because NJ & PA are vastly different yet share a river.

I know absolutely why the 2nd A is important, from generations passed down. Is bashing of those who hold it important gonna solve school shootings?

Honest Q.

Is life in San Fran or NYC equalivent to rural Tennessee?

Western Pennsylvania to New Orleans?

Vermont to El Paso?

Aside from doing the sensible like banning war weapons, weapons of mass destruction, we have have different solutions to different problems.

I credit the kids (the highschoolers) in America for bringing this existential Q to the table. Why? Because every gun owner, and non gun owner has to ask themselves the same Q.

Is it worth it?

And that's the power of change.

That map was not even close to being complete. From what I have read there were walkouts at most schools, across the country. That said, I don't think any conclusions can be made from it. When I was in school I remember joining several walkout protests, and I didn't even know the reason for the protest, and I don't really care. It was just a reason to get out of class.
You are correct, the map is wrong. I found out to day that almost if not all f the high schools in our district participated. From what I have been hearing from the ones that work in the schools, most were not about gun control. Many were about safe schools, while others were more in paying respect to those that died in the last school shooting. The schools set the rules and no students were to leave the campuses. I was so concerned for the students should they leave the campuses. I think that these protests were handled well by both the students and the administrators working together so the students voices could be heard in a safe enviroment.
I would still like to know the breakdown of the numbers. How many students participated for gun control? How many for safer Schools? How many to show thier respect for the school shooting students. How many because they just wanted to be part of something and get out of class?

Then where are the solutions that they are putting forward that does not involve more firearms?

Depends on where you live in this vast country of ours.

And that is why I don't count a cookie cutter response as any kind of solution.

We are deeper than that. I have no doubt we will find our way. History has shown that over and over.

But I can mute the doubters along the way because there are always those who are strangely invested in a certain outcome...

Depends on where you live in this vast country of ours.

And that is why I don't count a cookie cutter response as any kind of solution.

We are deeper than that. I have no doubt we will find our way. History has shown that over and over.

But I can mute the doubters along the way because there are always those who are strangely invested in a certain outcome...

I'm invested in a certain outcome - one that doesn't include 17 dead students who thought they were going to school that day, just like any other day. An outcome that doesn't include toddlers shooting their parents or each other. One that offers help and hope to people who would use a firearm in an attempt to take their own lives.

Am I that strange?

The NRA's investment is money and guns. The outcome they are invested in is always, always, sell more guns. No matter who has to die. I find that strange and heartless.

Sure. I looked it up and find that in 2017, according to Wikipedia, there were 7 deaths from shootings that happened in schools. There were 5 people who were shot, but not killed, so if included, that's 12 people shot in schools in one year in the U.S.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Lightning deaths, at a record low number for 2017 was 16, according to USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/996949001

And the people traumatised by the school shootings? What about the impact of that? Or does that not matter?

I'm invested in a certain outcome - one that doesn't include 17 dead students who thought they were going to school that day, just like any other day. An outcome that doesn't include toddlers shooting their parents or each other. One that offers help and hope to people who use a firearm in an attempt to take their own lives.

Am I that strange?

The NRA's investment is money and guns. The outcome they are invested in is always, always, sell more guns. No matter who has to die. I find that strange and heartless.

What kind Q is that?

Don't make me say odiferous!!!

While I have no problem taking the NRA up the flagpole for buying politicians, I don't hold gun owners, or their lifestyle, or values, to blame.

If we, as a country, can't get a grip on that reality, we are doomed. IMO.

And the people traumatised by the school shootings? What about the impact of that? Or does that not matter?

Of course it matters. My post is only in response to being asked to provide proof that school shootings in the United States are not that common, as many people are saying. The facts just don't back that up.

What kind Q is that?

While I have no problem taking the NRA up the flagpole for buying politicians, I don't hold gun owners, or their lifestyle, or values, to blame.

\BBM. What are your suggestions to even reduce the amount of gun violence?

What kind Q is that?

My question to you was a direct response to this:

there are always those who are strangely invested in a certain outcome...

Of course it matters. My post is only in response to being asked to provide proof that school shootings in the United States are not that common, as many people are saying. The facts just don't back that up.

And in which countries do they occur more frequently?

Comparing lightning deaths to school shooting deaths is about as helpful as comparing traffic deaths to shooting deaths. JMO

Obesity kills more people too, but we don't encourage people to eat more sugar and more fat.

I've been told so many countries are better than ours...

But, I am actually grateful I don't judge my neighbor.

Obesity kills more people too, but we don't encourage people to eat more sugar and more fat.

I've been told so many countries are better than ours...

But, I am actually grateful I don't judge my neighbor.
???

I hope everyone is feeling okay today... There's a weird vibe going on I feel.
ETA the quotes are messed up but IDK how to fix

And yours? Mine are posted throughout this discussion. With links.

Try someone else on this cookie Q.
What is a cookie Q??? I feel so lost here right now? Whose neighbor? Wtf?

Eta I hope things are back to somewhat normal after my meeting

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/world-tribune/
312a1450358c25c28ce2a41c07384afa.jpg

And in which countries do they occur more frequently?

Comparing lightning deaths to school shooting deaths is about as helpful as comparing traffic deaths to shooting deaths. JMO

The comparison is only to point out how rare school shootings actually are, when many people seem to feel that a person is more likely to be shot at school on any given day than not shot.

Comparing the two is helpful, at least to me, to know that my two daughters are more likely to be struck by lightning than to be shot at school.

Still I would like to see schools made safer, in any way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damnthatsux