CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
His bosses called DeAngelo an "average" officer. He also has a history of rage and angry outbursts and hostility toward neighbors, etc.

I'm eager/curious to know more about what coworkers thought of him, and I missed the story link. Can you repost? Thank you :)

From the link:

Willick was DeAngelo’s boss at the Auburn Police Department from 1976 to 1979, first as his sergeant, then as the chief. He remembers DeAngelo as an average cop.

“There was nothing really while he was working at the Auburn Police Department that would say he was a mass murderer, serial rapist, burglar,” Willick said.

rbbm
Right. Because a cop who breaks the law doesn't think they are above the law, and can get away with anything. Up to and including murder. The shoplifting Dog repellant, and a hammer, freaking out and fighting when caught to the point of having to be restrained. was not a red flag. Hmmmmmmmm.
Seriously no wonder he was able to get away with what he did.
Tell his victims there were no clues, no red flags or signs right there. Tell the victims families, friends, and loved ones.

I sure hope there are not hiccups with LE violating his constitutional rights:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article209999469.html
[...]
Howard, his newly appointed public defender, would not talk about her client's health issues or why he was in a wheelchair, but complained that she was denied access to him while sheriff's investigators interviewed him Wednesday, even after she got a court order.
"I had a court order that said they had to give me access to him and I felt they were stonewalling me...," she said. "I went to interrupt it and the sheriff's department disregarded it."
Howard said she expects to receive "hundreds of thousands of pages" of discovery evidence from prosecutors, but said that as of Friday she had been given only the criminal complaint. She also declined to say anything about the meeting she later was able to get with DeAngelo.
[...]

That could be his bike they were talking about. That one looks to be about a 250cc and yes that could probably top out at right around 100mph or so. I had a 175cc which was a little smaller than that one in the picture and I could get mine up to about 70-75 mph.

Police had him under surveillance before arrest. He sure was a good faker in that courtroom. Looking so feeble. This is perfect timing just shortly after he was looking forward to his retirement. No fishing, boating and biking for him. I can’t believe that Public Defender put her hand on his shoulder in the courtroom like she was sympathetic to him. Sickening.

I think he stopped killing and raping because something shook him up enough that he thought he might get caught.

From the Sacramento Bee:

"Paul Holes, the newly retired Contra Costa County investigator who chased the East Area Rapist for 24 years and was part of the team that watched DeAngelo in recent weeks, questioned DeAngelo's frail court appearance."No, no, no, no," Holes said. "This guy was moving around like a young 50-year-old. He was riding his motorcycle, bombing down the freeway at over 100 miles per hour. Stop signs are optional for this guy.""

I thought the same when I watched him at the hearing. He's faking being weak and ill. He's a Grade A psychopath, a pathological liar who is expert at manipulating people. His own neighbors said he had been outside his garage working on a table just before the arrest.

Tomorrow at 9pm on CBS there is a NEW episode of 48 Hours on this story.

I'm not sure what you mean, but LE did not send the only sample that they have of the criminal's DNA to GedMatch. They have lots of it, from several crime scenes... all matched previously in their certified labs.

I understand that it's not the only sample, etc.
It has to do with the fact that LE told the public too much.
GEDmatch is now decrying the whole thing as " unauthorized use".

What this could do, and I hope it doesn't, is open the door to doubt of the integrity of the case in total. Evidence, specifically and the legal chain of custody.
Because to the best of my knowledge, what they did was innovative and savvy but I don't know if there are any laws about this type of DNA familial matching, especially in CA, the most liberal state in the US for individual rights of a criminal.

Remember in the O.J. Simpson trial, things started to go south for the prosecution when Mark Fuhrman's racial slur which had been taped 10 years prior was played in court. He had said he didn't use racial slur words, then they played the tape.

After that, ALL of the blood evidence was questioned because he had collected some of it.
The bloody glove was called into question because he had bagged it. Blood evidence on the glove was said to be not valid because the defense found a gap in the legal chain of custody in one of Fuhrman's samples in the lab. Not that Mark didn't maintain legal chain of custody, but that a lab worker failed to initial, date, and log in one specimen he collected.

IMO, in the state of CA ( and FL), if there is any doubt about the handling of evidence, or if the jury does not understand what has been done and why, the case is going to be very hard to win.

We've lived through it with OJ, and in FL, with Casey Anthony, because that jury totally did not understand the forensic testimony. Not one word of it.
You get stupid juros sometimes. I know why LE did what they did at GEDMatch but the jury may not.
A jury only knows who's saying " Objection, your honor" at every turn sometimes.

Yep, Monday morning quarterbacking at its best. It is so easy to put it all together in hindsight.
Wow Seriously.
How long did he get away with victimizing, robbing, raping, murdering, calling and taunting his victims?
not a single brow was raised over a cop, shoplifting, dog repellant, a hammer, freaking out,and fighting when caught. He had to be restrained for christ sake. Yet he got to go on and rape 50, and Murder 12 people. Because no red flag there.
SMH.

Right. Because a cop who breaks the law doesn't think they are above the law, and can get away with anything. Up to and including murder. The shoplifting Dog repellant, and a hammer, freaking out and fighting when caught to the point of having to be restrained. was not a red flag. Hmmmmmmmm.
Seriously no wonder he was able to get away with what he did.
Tell his victims there were no clues, no red flags or signs right there. Tell the victims families, friends, and loved ones.

Makes me wonder how many innocent people were prosecuted before DNA came along.........also, with how the suspect kept evading dragnets, surveillance of neighborhoods & these cops had night visions googles received from the military & he evaded all of it.......how do you not think its someone on the inside? Had to be a cop, but I guess they didn't want to believe it even tho they speculated on it......also, EAR/GSK had some incredible luck as well, it goes along with his preparations & inside info.

I understand that it's not the only sample, etc.
It has to do with the fact that LE told the public too much.
GEDmatch is now decrying the whole thing as " unauthorized use".

This is what they said in a statement: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/26/...-genealogy-websites-dna-genetic-investigation

" “Although we were not approached by law enforcement or anyone else about this case or about the DNA, it has always been GEDmatch’s policy to inform users that the database could be used for other uses, as set forth in the Site Policy,” the statement reads. “While the database was created for genealogical research, it is important that GEDmatch participants understand the possible uses of their DNA, including identification of relatives that have committed crimes or were victims of crimes.”"

Yeah, I think it was all a big act to seem pitiable, ohhh, the poor helpless old man. Remember when he screamed and begged "oh my god, don't hurt me, don't hurt me" super pathetically at Officer McGowan and then SHOT AT him? Yeah, I think the wheel chair and the frail voice and the eyes he can barely keep open are all an act.
Probably not an act, first off no reason to act frail. There's no jury, the judge won't be the same one who oversees his trial.. He's just old and his whole world, the cocoon he had built around himself was suddenly stripped away and now he's facing judgment for his crimes. He probably thought he had got away with it after all these years, thought he'd die of old age with his loved ones around and now it's gone, the truth is out thee and the realization is he'll die an old man all alone and everyone will cheer, his loved ones will abandon him...

Part of him may have been able to separate himself from the crimes over the years, convince himself that was a different man in a different time now it's all back and not ever going away again. We know he's not right in the head.. The victims statements of him talking to himself etc etc while on the flip side the crimes were so meticulously carried out. Then all those years go by and BOOM they got him and now all the bluster has been sucked out of him. His come to Jesus moment is upon him and he knows he's screwed...lol

I’ve lived in Southern Cali my whole life and followed many high profile cases. I hope this guy takes a plea deal as he will be dead before this case ever goes to trial. For a case like this maybe will go to trial in about 7+ years. All those case files and discovery it will be many years.

I hope he accepts a LWOP plea deal because it would be much sooner than a trial and I would love to hear his story and how he got away with this. We have the DP last time someone executed was 2006 currently 746 inmates on death row.

https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Capital_Punishment/docs/CondemnedInmateSummary.pdf?pdf=Condemned-Inmates

Tomorrow at 9pm on CBS there is a NEW episode of 48 Hours on this story.

Great. Thank you for this update. I love those shows like 48 hours or 20/20 when they do these specials. They usually do a very good job of them. Im gonna watch that for sure.

Its actually amazing how much information they can get so quickly for shows like that. Its bound to be a good show and probably more like them in the future as news gets found out more about this animal.

Ive never done it but there are some here that know a "trick" to reset your count so you can start over. I think it has something to do with deleting your "cache" or browser history and/or deleting "cookies".

You have to be careful though if your one that likes to keep the "defaults" like how a PC will autotype for you certain things on forms like ID and Password. Because when cleaning up some of the things like cookies it will then make you start over with any default settings.

Anyway I think it is shared somewhere how to reset something on your computer so your count goes back to zero for websites that have those limits. I dont know where it may have been shared though. Sorry. I just remember reading about it a few times.

I open a new browser window in "incognito" mode, which gets around the limited number of articles issue.

Golden State Killer had a BA in criminal justice from Cal State.
He was over qualified to be a police officer and is working the system because he knows it well.

Moo
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-golden-state-killer-profile-20180426-story.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually some town require a Batchelor's degree to be considered for the force. I wouldn't say he was over-qualified

but maybe for a small town podunk force he was.

I always thought he didn't do any drugs or smoke cigs during his crimes. I think he was an exercise & stay fit freak. The guy is biking at 72, u gotta be fit for that. Who knows why he's in a wheel chair, probably he's been sedated, & the scope & shock of his world collapsing all around him.

He left "field stripped" cigarette butts near many crime scenes, places from which he conducted surveillance. He also left a motocross glove at one.

I think he's pulling a "mafia don in court" wheeze. No doubt he planned for this contingency.

I sure hope there are not hiccups with LE violating his constitutional rights:
[...]
Howard, his newly appointed public defender, would not talk about her client's health issues or why he was in a wheelchair, but complained that she was denied access to him while sheriff's investigators interviewed him Wednesday, even after she got a court order.
"I had a court order that said they had to give me access to him and I felt they were stonewalling me...," she said. "I went to interrupt it and the sheriff's department disregarded it."
Howard said she expects to receive "hundreds of thousands of pages" of discovery evidence from prosecutors, but said that as of Friday she had been given only the criminal complaint. She also declined to say anything about the meeting she later was able to get with DeAngelo.
[...]

The investigators are probably trying to get him to confess, as they were able to do with Dennis Rader and Russell Williams. It takes an extremely good interrogator to gain trust and get serial killers to confess. I hope they're using someone really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsLbDzkIy3A

I don't think they sent them any sample, they just created a fake profile and posted the results of their DNA testing.

Ohh, OK, that makes so much more sense. If that's what they did, it seems to me it's not using deceptive practices, or giving crime scene DNA to a non- authorized lab.
Thank you for clarifying. I haven't been able to open most of the news links today.

My sincerest apologies to all. I totally understand what they did and why they did tell the public. They were discreet and did not send in any actual crime scene DNA.

Mea culpa. Mea culpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members