TX - Police respond to reports of shooter at Santa Fe High School, 18 May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today the copy cats are out in force in the Houston area.

Student arrested on campus with gun, Huffman TX

Student arrested on campus with gun, League City TX

Threat written on bathroom wall, Crosby TX

Threat written in text, La Marque TX

These kids must think this is all a joke. I hope there are serious consequences for their actions.

Anything to get a day off from school.

Sad how our nation's public schools does not value academics.

Santa Fe, Texas, high school shooter was not targeting girl who spurned him, lawyers say

Dimitrios Pagourtzis remains "very confused" about Friday's shooting, which claimed 10 lives at Santa Fe High School.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...school-shooter-was-not-targeting-girl-n876061

"There's a lot of rumors out there right now," Poehl said after he and co-counsel Robert Barfield visited the 17-year-old suspect in Galveston County Jail. "I will say that my client did not recognize the name Shana Fisher."

Asked about a possible motive, Poehl said they're still no closer to understanding what sparked the deadly mayhem on Friday that stunned the state of Texas. He said his client remains disoriented and is "still in a state."

^
Thanks for the good information. I think it is important to note the emphasis on the word "mandatory". Juveniles who commit murder(s) can still be given life without parole sentences if state law allows. The sentence, however, must be given on a case by case basis. It cannot be automatic.

Justice Elena Kagan wrote for the majority of the court "that mandatory life without parole for those under age of 18 at the time of their crime violates the 8th Amendment’s prohibition on cruel and unusual punishments". "Mandatory life without parole for a juvenile precludes consideration of his chronological age and its hallmark features – among them, immaturity, impetuosity, and failure to appreciate risks and consequences," Justice Kagan said. "It prevents taking into account the family and home environment that surrounds him – and from which he cannot usually extricate himself – no matter how brutal or dysfunctional."

[

That's how it should be, MOO. Exceptions for juveniles who commit mass murders in a public building.

Santa Fe, Texas, high school shooter was not targeting girl who spurned him, lawyers say

Dimitrios Pagourtzis remains "very confused" about Friday's shooting, which claimed 10 lives at Santa Fe High School.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...school-shooter-was-not-targeting-girl-n876061

"There's a lot of rumors out there right now," Poehl said after he and co-counsel Robert Barfield visited the 17-year-old suspect in Galveston County Jail. "I will say that my client did not recognize the name Shana Fisher."

Asked about a possible motive, Poehl said they're still no closer to understanding what sparked the deadly mayhem on Friday that stunned the state of Texas. He said his client remains disoriented and is "still in a state."

Not sure I'd take his word on it. He probably doesn't like being viewed as a loser.

The lawyer should STFU and save it for the jury.

I see no viable reason whatsoever to blame public schools for creating mass shooters. That’s like blaming home-schooling for autism. Or blaming private schools for creating alleged rapists and murders like Michael Skakel. MOO

I see no viable reason whatsoever to blame public schools for creating mass shooters. That’s like blaming home-schooling for autism. Or blaming private schools for creating alleged rapists and murders like Michael Skakel. MOO

I don't think public school creates them just maybe cannot contain or prevent them without more support from families, LE, health professionals and community. Underfunded, understaffed, too many students to get to know personally.

Today the copy cats are out in force in the Houston area.

Student arrested on campus with gun, Huffman TX

Student arrested on campus with gun, League City TX

Threat written on bathroom wall, Crosby TX

Threat written in text, La Marque TX

These kids must think this is all a joke. I hope there are serious consequences for their actions.

Ugh. But I do wonder if some of
Them are doing it because they’re afraid. What a mess!

I actually agreed with your earlier post except for your use of the word hero. It isn't heroic to do what you are trained to do.
They cared enough and did what they could and that is all anybody can ask.IMO

While I agree military and LE know well what they are signing up for, heroism happens at the human level, in action, maybe on the battlefield, on the street, or in a school.

It's so easy to arm chair coach after the effects...after the facts. Truth is, a life was saved.

And the other truth is for all the easy as pie, Clint Eastwood movie scenarios, arm the teachers no problem scenarios, scenarios, we will find the truth in Parkland, and Sante Fe prove contrary to the Hollywood script.

You can't armchair after the fact. An officer saving another is natural. Happens on the battlefield and every other scenario.

I'd like to propose something to the kids these days. Throw your "poutastic" social media into the river. Create a dance floor based on romance, not hook ups.

This generation does not know the magic of holding hands. When a man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, trans and trans just hold hands. Feel the electricity in that one gesture.

Take your makeup off, put your steroids and valium and coke, and pot on hold, ditch your bra and jock strap, put on a tee shirt and jeans, get your bare feet on, and just hold hands, and feel it.

At every romantic or otherwise meeting in my life, and I've been around the block, it starts with that electric moment.

No there's no APP for that. Thinking that's what's missing. Would love to see schools get back to that level of trust. And kids too.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...urn-alive-family-mourns-slain-pakistani-stude

[h=1]'We Were Expecting That She Will Return Alive': Family Mourns Slain Pakistani Student[/h]
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sabika.jpg
    Sabika.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 138
Not sure I'd take his word on it. ..

I wouldn't take his lawyer's word for it either. Having an understandable motive doesn't go well with any potential insanity defense.

next, we'll hear it wasn't him he was framed. I don't understand why they keep saying he is confused.

Well, if they want to go for insanity defense, then I guess being confused goes toward that.
Why exactly is he confused now? Sure didn't seem confused during the shooting, based on what surviving students are saying.

While I agree military and LE know well what they are signing up for, heroism happens at the human level, in action, maybe on the battlefield, on the street, or in a school.

It's so easy to arm chair coach after the effects...after the facts. Truth is, a life was saved.

And the other truth is for all the easy as pie, Clint Eastwood movie scenarios, arm the teachers no problem scenarios, scenarios, we will find the truth in Parkland, and Sante Fe prove contrary to the Hollywood script.

You can't armchair after the fact. An officer saving another is natural. Happens on the battlefield and every other scenario.

I'd like to propose something to the kids these days. Throw your "poutastic" social media into the river. Create a dance floor based on romance, not hook ups.

This generation does not know the magic of holding hands. When a man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, trans and trans just hold hands. Feel the electricity in that one gesture.

Take your makeup off, put your steroids and valium and coke, and pot on hold, ditch your bra and jock strap, put on a tee shirt and jeans, get your bare feet on, and just hold hands, and feel it.

At every romantic or otherwise meeting in my life, and I've been around the block, it starts with that electric moment.

No there's no APP for that. Thinking that's what's missing. Would love to see schools get back to that level of trust. And kids too.

Wait, what??

Spending more time with the youth of today might change our negative perception of them while mentoring them to become healthy, functional adults.

Respectfully (ya know I ❤️ ya, Rose) if all they have to learn from is each other and their newfangled gadgets, then we’ve failed them.

They’re begging us to protect them from being shot down like fish in a barrel. They’re not pouttastic. They’re asking adults (us) to be adults and protect them from needless slaughter. They’re innocents.

There’s no app for that, either.

They need us, not our judgment. IMO

Doesn’t it depend on whether he’s charged as a juvenile or an adult? Also, whether they’re federal or state charges?

This thread moves so fast! Do we know if he’s being tried in adult court?

He is considered an adult in TX at 17. He will be tried as an adult. But he can't get the death penalty because of Supreme court ruling.

He is considered an adult in TX at 17. He will be tried as an adult. But he can't get the death penalty because of Supreme court ruling.

Yes, thank you. I figured it out up thread. [emoji6] He can’t get the death penalty and he can’t get life in prison without parole. If he’s convicted of the charges against him, he would spend at least 40 years before he could be considered for parole.

I wouldn't take his lawyer's word for it either. Having an understandable motive doesn't go well with any potential insanity defense.

bingo hence he is confused comment.
How can he go from singing Another One Bites the Dust to WooHoo! to being confused suddenly.

Fines and confiscation of guns.

I'd like to see them prosecuted with criminal charges including murder if a gun owner's registered weapon is used to murder someone. I think it's the only thing that might make "responsible" gun owners...be responsible.

If the gun is stolen and used in a crime is the gun owner held responsible?

I would say it should go to trial. Let the prosecutors prove whether there is negligence. If it's a matter of someone other than the registered owner knowing the safe code, or having a key, too bad so sad. Reqistered owner goes to jail too. If you can't 100% guarantee no one else is going to have access to your gun you shouldn't have one.

Yes, thank you. I figured it out up thread. [emoji6] He can’t get the death penalty and he can’t get life in prison without parole. If he’s convicted of the charges against him, he would spend at least 40 years before he could be considered for parole.

I'm surprised Texas is one of the states which does not allow Life Without the Possibility of Parole for juveniles. If the crime had happened in Florida he could receive life without parole.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member