Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

I always have trouble thinking about that and who was killed first and how frightened the others must have been.

Can you imagine the horror? You hope they were all asleep and never knew, but odds are they were aware they were waiting in line to be murdered.

When we make excuses for male violence, we encourage it

Whatever may have transpired in Margaret River that morning, the narrative of the “good bloke” who “snaps” and kills his family is myth, whether it’s “what people thought of him” or not. And maintaining it as a frame for news reporting provides external validation to potential murderers that their inclinations towards violence are not unconscionable.

Indeed, “good bloke” memorialising around suspected killers instructs that you can both murder your family and retain your reputation.

This brutal reality is what the myths obscure. And it’s this evidence-based framework that must foreground the way we analyse incidents of violence if we as a community are to attune to the nuances of its established patterns, intervene and prevent it.

Australia’s police process 657 incidents of family violence every day. One woman in Australia is murdered by her current or former partner every week.

We do not owe sympathy to perpetrators. We owe it to the abused, dead and living, to condemn their suffering without equivocation.

When we personalise tender excuses for male violence, we don’t, actually, minimise the hateful horrors that curdle beneath it. We do, alas, encourage them.

No one has said Peter Miles was a good bloke.
Peter Miles had suffered a mental break down after the loss his son.

Peter Miles had been on treatment and councilling for a period of time.

Peter Miles was deranged.

Unfortunately, many have said he was a great guy. That was their impression of him. And it has been reported in a widespread fashion. Then they are grasping to find a reason, like depression or medication. Something that 'changed' him.
Though we learned in the article I posted yesterday, his depression was only being treated for a few weeks prior to the murders.

Just one example:
BEFORE Friday morning, Peter Miles was known to all as a hard-working farmer, a knockabout bloke and a doting grandfather.

“He was just a giver, a very decent man. So there must be more to it.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/so...beautiful-wa-family-gunned-down-ng-b88834383z

But, as Sherele Moody puts it, and I agree ... (BBM)

"Much of the public discussion around Peter Miles' deadly actions focuses, almost sympathetically, on his "troubled" life while managing to neatly tip-toe around the fact that this was a clear-cut case of domestic abuse and male violence - both major issues in our society.

Peter Miles' decision to murder Katrina, Cynda and his grandchildren means 29 Australians have now been, allegedly, killed by a loved one this year.

In other words, 34 per cent of the 83 murders committed in 2018 are deemed to be the result of family abuse.

Research shows that people who kill their families do not do it in a vacuum - they often perpetrate other abuses, be they physical or emotional, before they murder.

And why do we insist on highlighting the perpetrator's background and personal issues as excuses and justifications for eradicating innocent humans?"

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/good-bloke-peter-miles-was-a-violent-selfish-monst/3418329/

His first son committing suicide might be an insight into bigger issues.

So he leaves his two surviving sons to deal with his suicide and the murder of their mother, sister and niece and nephews?

The second son with kidney issues could be alcoholism? If so, what was going on.

More probably Urinary Reflux.

The inquest will shine some light.

Mr Cockman said Mr Miles had struggled for years to recover from the shock after one of his sons took his own life.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...iles-pain-behind-killings/9756918?pfmredir=sm

I don't think that he was deranged. I think he was a controlling man.

I don't think that he was deranged. I think he was a controlling man.

Me, too. And one that very possibly could have inflicted violence on his family previously, in other ways. Behind closed doors, of course.

… we know from good and authoritative research that homicidal instances of family violence nearly always are the awful climax to a previous history of abuse and/or violence.

— Margaret Simons, Associate Professor, Journalism, Monash University, 15 May, 2018

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4846264.htm

Media Watch has done a piece on these murders - it aired on TV last night - to do with how this type of thing is reported by journalists. How so many articles say "What a good bloke he was" when he, in fact, committed the most horrendous of crimes. Crimes he will never be charged for, or face in a murder trial.

It is interesting to read a coroner's take on it, and Domestic Violence Victoria's take on it (in the article).

..... it is a disgraceful act that we should condemn … driven by a view of women and children as commodities to be controlled by a man.

In other words, the fact that everyone thought the killer was a good bloke doesn’t necessarily mean that he was, at least not to his family.
So, proceed with caution.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4846264.htm

I watched Media watch too South Aussie, & they were spot on.

Really he is just a mass murderer, he killed the ones who he should have loved & protected, mental illness or not ( most people who are depressed etc don't just wipe out the majority of their family & than themselves, they ask for help) ...........never any excuse for what he has done & unfortunately...........for him, no consequences for his actions.........just two sons left to deal with his choices :gaah:

Really he is just a mass murderer, he killed the ones who he should have loved & protected, mental illness or not ( most people who are depressed etc don't just wipe out the majority of their family & than themselves, they ask for help) ...........never any excuse for what he has done & unfortunately...........for him, no consequences for his actions.........just two sons left to deal with his choices :gaah:

BBM. I find that part of it particularly selfish.

So why murder your own family then ring 000?

Why do mass shootings happen at USA schools also? Do they not see the gutless cowardice act of shooting unarmed children?

Do they not see their own cowardice? Do they not feel shame?

Considering the majority of US school shootings are the last 20 years; Im putting school shootings down to in part social engineering.

In the second world war guns were prolific in the US. Guns have been an intrinsic part of family life for centuries.
Americans have only had supermarkets 70 years. Americans were actively hunting food.

The majority of US school shootings have only been the last 20 years.

BBM. I find that part of it particularly selfish.

As well as the fact that he took 4 children away from their own father (no matter what some people may think of him - he is their father, he loved them and they, no doubt, loved him, as children do).

Peter Miles was deranged

If Peter Miles was on SSRIs that adds to a growing list of shooters taking brain chemical adjustment meds.

America is full of medicated shooters. Gun containment is poor where shooters use mummy or daddys firearm to shoot unarmed children.

In a recent shooting in Florida, a medicated student took his fathers firearm and shot a load of students.

SSRIs are a ramping drug. Their dosage must be increased and decreased slowly.
If the dosage is abruptly stopped, the patients brain cannot cope without the meds.

Had Peter Miles stopped taking his meds?

Peter Miles was deranged

You keep on repeating this & I don't agree. IMO he was NOT insane or deranged as you seem to think. He was controlling & I hate to think what his family was subjected to. He was in a "situation" that ALOT of people would find themselves in & he took the cowards way out, if only he just killed himself & the rest of his family could live their lives as they pleased...……...MOO

An inquest is going to show that Peter Miles was under psychological car

If Peter Miles didnt love his family how did he have a mental break down over his first son's suicide?

His second son suffering kidney failure triggered another spate of depression.

Peter Miles was deranged

If Peter Miles was on SSRIs that adds to a growing list of shooters taking brain chemical adjustment meds.

America is full of medicated shooters. Gun containment is poor where shooters use mummy or daddys firearm to shoot unarmed children.

In a recent shooting in Florida, a medicated student took his fathers firearm and shot a load of students.

SSRIs are a ramping drug. Their dosage must be increased and decreased slowly.
If the dosage is abruptly stopped, the patients brain cannot cope without the meds.

Had Peter Miles stopped taking his meds?

We don't care if he was taking his meds. He cold bloodedly killed four children, his wife and daughter.

He was not a sick man;he was a bad man.

If Peter Miles didnt love his family how did he have a mental break down over his first son's suicide?

You could also ask, if Peter Miles did love his family, than why did he murder his wife , Daughter & 4 grandchildren??? Doesn't sound like love to me...……..

All about him. Did his wife not suffer when their son killed himself?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back