Purpose Of This Emerald Triangle Sub-forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my inexperience, I am not quite following the ins and outs of the above proposed solutions. However, I will defer to the more experienced hands as to a solution. I would like to mention that the suggestion of closing the original threads so they could serve only to redirect searchers seems to have merit.

I must confess, I had not given much thought to UIDs in the new forum. As part of my creation of a thread for every Mendo Cty cold case (pre ET Forum), I found only 2 UID cases. I don't really know about Humboldt and Trinity Ctys, but Mendo apparently doesn't track UIDs. I get the impression that LE is just too overrun with work to track UIDs.

Excellent summary @Lilibet . I like this plan SO much better than moving all the threads (sorry Tricia and Burblestein --Your next hair appointments are on me ;) ) One little thing I wanted to mention in regards to the BBM-- by changing it so that we are only linking to the threads in the missing forums it takes the heavy responsibility off of one person to move threads or alert threads that need moved. And it removes the need for mods to move a thread here after it is created. ANYONE, any member at all, who sees a thread in the missing OR the crimes section that they think should be included can post a link to the thread in the appropriate location. Burblestein can still go about his business being awesome and linking all the threads here but if he misses one or wants to take a WS break (heaven forbid :p) there will not automatically be a void where the threads here languish. Others can fill in. This will also encourage other members to post here and be involved-- anyone can post a link to a new case and give their theory on why they think it might belong here. :D

Yes, the change to just linking threads is actually a huge advantage and solves the problems we were talking about before folie arrived and really rocked the boat! ;) It’s ultimately a win-win...after the hard work, headache and lost hair of changing it back to just links. Maintaining the ET forum will be simpler and not on Burblestein’s shoulders. He’s been awfully quiet...hope he hasn’t had a heart attack!

BTW, folks, Lilibet seems to be on the trail of an active serial killer. And I think this new forum just may uncover a couple more. Just call it my "suspicion intuition".

In my inexperience, I am not quite following the ins and outs of the above proposed solutions. However, I will defer to the more experienced hands as to a solution. I would like to mention that the suggestion of closing the original threads so they could serve only to redirect searchers seems to have merit.

I must confess, I had not given much thought to UIDs in the new forum. As part of my creation of a thread for every Mendo Cty cold case (pre ET Forum), I found only 2 UID cases. I don't really know about Humboldt and Trinity Ctys, but Mendo apparently doesn't track UIDs. I get the impression that LE is just too overrun with work to track UIDs.

Oh good! You’re still here. I’m not involved in UID’s either, so I am trusting folie’s comments and I do get what she’s saying. If you explore a little on WS, there is a whole forum devoted to UID’s from all over, with a very dedicated group of members working on and sometimes solving them. So we definitely don’t want to make their work harder by segregating threads over here on the ET forum.

The Unidentified

BTW, folks, Lilibet seems to be on the trail of an active serial killer. And I think this new forum just may uncover a couple more. Just call it my "suspicion intuition".

I am? Coffee hasn’t kicked in yet. Who am I trailing. I hate losing my memory!! Do you mean Jimmy Jones?

If I'm following correctly, what would happen is that all the threads would go back to their respective missing forums so that they can be searched and found by those of us looking for general CA cases to match with UID's. But the Emerald Triangle sub forum can stay here with individual discussion threads that LINK to the MP, UID and Homicide threads. So for example when I click on the Emerald Triangle Forum here and go to Humboldt County
Instead of seeing 51 threads there (that I currently can't tell are missing persons or unsolved murder cases), there would be only a handful of discussion threads with the links to the cases organized. You could break it down even more by decade or city if you want to and have a thread for each one with a list of MP case link and Murder case links all together.

So maybe I would start a thread: "Humboldt County Missing 1980's list" and the thread would have names and links to all the missing cases we currently know about. And another discussion thread here could be "Unsolved Homicides in Humboldt Co" and the links could go to those threads without having to bring every thread here.

What is great about using the linking approach is that if someone wants to start a thread for a specific type of crime or a certain category or theory about what is going on they can do that too. I could start a thread here titled "Missing Women of Humboldt Under 30" with links to all the missing fitting that criteria and posit a theory that there is a SK targeting only women in their teens and 20s. By using the "linking to the thread" strategy it allows a MP case to be linked and discussed in more than one place.

Another advantage-- Maybe there is a missing person who traveled back and forth between two counties or lived right on the county line. You can link the thread in both places here and the thread stays in the missing forum for others to find as well.

Oh good! You’re still here. I’m not involved in UID’s either, so I am trusting folie’s comments and I do get what she’s saying. If you explore a little on WS, there is a whole forum devoted to UID’s from all over, with a very dedicated group of members working on and sometimes solving them. So we definitely don’t want to make their work harder by segregating threads over here on the ET forum.

The Unidentified

What folie says is true and right on in my experience. I'm posting new UID cases daily whenever unidentified human remains are found and reported on in the media. The first thing I do after creating an UID thread is to look at the missing forums to see if there are cases that are possible matches. I do this both by sorting the cases by state and by searching key words such as the cities and streets the remains are found in. or if an UID has something such as "Pink Shoes" I might search that in the missing forums too. If a new UID is found in Eureka, for example, I would search the missing forums for Eureka. I don't want to search ALL of Websleuths for Eureka because that brings up a ton of results for other things I have to sift through-- murder cases, petty crimes, located cases, etc. I only want to see the missing cases to see if they could be a match to the UID. With all the missing threads being moved down here I won't see them when I search the missing forum or sort for all California cases.

Okay, I'm on board, no matter what format you folks come up with. However, while I do the grunt work of searching out cases because I know the geography, and I insert links, I am not the worker most concerned with these moves. JerseyGirl makes the actual moves and merges for this forum, and I am going to email her asking her for her input in this thread.

Please remain aware that we have Search function issues that affect can searchability. And I really appreciate her comment about pages and pages of Search results. I sifted through a few hundred of those while compiling the threads for this forum...such beauties as "Smith" and "Rogers", etc....

Okay, I'm on board, no matter what format you folks come up with. However, while I do the grunt work of searching out cases because I know the geography, and I insert links, I am not the worker most concerned with these moves. JerseyGirl makes the actual moves and merges for this forum, and I am going to email her asking her for her input in this thread.

Please remain aware that we have Search function issues that affect can searchability. And I really appreciate her comment about pages and pages of Search results. I sifted through a few hundred of those while compiling the threads for this forum...such beauties as "Smith" and "Rogers", etc....

Thanks Burblestein. I didn’t know who does the actual moving. Somehow, before Jersey Girl does anything, these threads on ET need to be listed or something somewhere, so you/we don’t have to go searching again in order to link them. I’m not sure how to do that other than send links to myself as a pm. Is there an easier way anyone?

Thanks Burblestein. I didn’t know who does the actual moving. Somehow, before Jersey Girl does anything, these threads on ET need to be listed or something somewhere, so you/we don’t have to go searching again in order to link them. I’m not sure how to do that other than send links to myself as a pm. Is there an easier way anyone?

I usually just open multiple browser tabs on my labtop and cut and paste the url links into the new thread I want to create, closing each tab after I have grabbed the link. This might be more difficult if you use a phone or tablet.

I usually just open multiple browser tabs on my labtop and cut and paste the url links into the new thread I want to create, closing each tab after I have grabbed the link. This might be more difficult if you use a phone or tablet.

Thanks Gardener. So, would a new thread here in the ET forum be something like “Humboldt County Missing” or “Humboldt County Murders” with the url links? Should there be any other break down like decade or? This would have to be done before Jersey Girl puts the threads back where they belong, right? I’m trying to figure out the logistics, so we get it right this time.

Thanks Gardener. So, would a new thread here in the ET forum be something like “Humboldt County Missing” or “Humboldt County Murders” with the url links? Should there be any other break down like decade or? This would have to be done before Jersey Girl puts the threads back where they belong, right? I’m trying to figure out the logistics, so we get it right this time.

I think a break down by decades would be good, JMO. However, one question I have before you start copying links to make new threads-- will the links remains the same after they are moved? Sometimes I copy a link and the thread gets moved, resulting in a broken link. This doesn't always happen, however. A lot of times the link still works when the thread gets moved from "missing" to "found". I'm not sure what causes them to sometimes go "poof", lol. So you might want to ask the mods if your links will be changed when they are moved back. Perhaps you could coordinate with Jersey Girl to grab all the links just after they are moved back to the missing forums before they get all mixed up again?

Some sort of brief intro/background info in addition to all the links would be nice as well... But I'm still a little unsure what that info would be in the intro. You need to imagine that anyone who reads this forum for the first time has no idea what the Emerald Triangle is or why it is significant. Give just enough info to get people interested and asking questions/forming theories of their own.

(I'll stop posting advice now. I've meddled enough. So sorry for all the work I created by my questions :oops:)

I think a break down by decades would be good, JMO. However, one question I have before you start copying links to make new threads-- will the links remains the same after they are moved? Sometimes I copy a link and the thread gets moved, resulting in a broken link. This doesn't always happen, however. A lot of times the link still works when the thread gets moved from "missing" to "found". I'm not sure what causes them to sometimes go "poof", lol. So you might want to ask the mods if your links will be changed when they are moved back. Perhaps you could coordinate with Jersey Girl to grab all the links just after they are moved back to the missing forums before they get all mixed up again?

:eek:(Backing up very slowly) My brain is not processing any of this too well. o_O I’ve been fasting all day for a procedure tomorrow. I’ll check back when I’m back to what passes for “normal.” :p

Some sort of brief intro/background info in addition to all the links would be nice as well... But I'm still a little unsure what that info would be in the intro. You need to imagine that anyone who reads this forum for the first time has no idea what the Emerald Triangle is or why it is significant. Give just enough info to get people interested and asking questions/forming theories of their own.

(I'll stop posting advice now. I've meddled enough. So sorry for all the work I created by my questions :oops:)

Good idea. I think Burblestein has been working on an intro.

Don’t be sorry and don’t leave us!! Your question will make the ET forum better!

Good idea. I think Burblestein has been working on an intro.

Don’t be sorry and don’t leave us!! Your question will make the ET forum better!

Thanks, Lilibet. I've been feeling bad that I caused all this trouble. :(
hiding-smiley.gif

I'm always willing to help start threads, but I don't feel like it's my place to do that here. I don't think I have enough knowledge of the area or the unique situation to be the main thread starter for the forum. So I feel guilty because I just picked apart y'all's project and then kicked the ball back in your court to fix it. But I have confidence in you and Burblestein and Jersey Girl that you can iron it out and make it a great forum. I'm cheering you on
cheerleader1-smiley.gif
and I will still be around.

:)
Thanks, Lilibet. I've been feeling bad that I caused all this trouble. :(
hiding-smiley.gif

I'm always willing to help start threads, but I don't feel like it's my place to do that here. I don't think I have enough knowledge of the area or the unique situation to be the main thread starter for the forum. So I feel guilty because I just picked apart y'all's project and then kicked the ball back in your court to fix it. But I have confidence in you and Burblestein and Jersey Girl that you can iron it out and make it a great forum. I'm cheering you on
cheerleader1-smiley.gif
and I will still be around.

No guilt! You did WSers a favor. So did folie. This forum can’t be interfering with everyone’s hard work on cases. It will all work out once I get my brain back and Jersey Girl gets on board to guide the fix. Your input will be needed still. Thanks for sticking around! :)

OT—By the way, Gardener. Can you direct me to the more complete list of emojis please. I looked briefly the other day and have lost it. Didn’t a mod start two threads of emojis? I couldn’t figure out how to access them easily when posting, so put off trying and now they’ve disappeared. Thanks!

OT—By the way, Gardener. Can you direct me to the more complete list of emojis please. I looked briefly the other day and have lost it. Didn’t a mod start two threads of emojis? I couldn’t figure out how to access them easily when posting, so put off trying and now they’ve disappeared. Thanks!

They are from this website: smileys emoticons | Emoticoner.com | Page 3

All you have to do is copy and paste them here (several pages of them there). I wish we had some of our old smilies back. I really miss them :(

Is there somewhere that explains what the "Emerald Triangle" is?
And what is the purpose of all these missing persons cases being down here in a "Crimes" forums instead of the "Missing But Not Forgotten" forums? I have recently noticed a large number of missing person's threads I created in the missing forums have been moved here. When I go to search for a missing person thread I search the missing forums, not the crimes section. Now that I know this is here I'll search the entire board for California cases, but I worry that duplicate threads will be created or other posters looking for MP threads will not find the threads. Some of these missing persons could be suicides or accidental deaths. So why are they in the Crimes forum?

*Sorry if this is explained somewhere but I have looked around and I am not seeing a description of this sub-forum or why it was created. TIA.
Hi Everyone,
Great question Gardener. Please forgive me but I am been buried under all kinds of work.
I will be back tomorrow to answer your questions and to get a description of the subforum and what our goal is with the Emerald Triangle.

Thank you for your patience.

Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members