Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It kills me how people will move in next to an airport, and then complain about the noise of airplanes. Or people will buy a cheap property next to a dump, and then complain about the toxins. Kills me. :confused:

I wonder if same situation would have happened if the MRO had gone ahead as planned? I'm pretty sure there would have been enormous agreements signed from both parties, and if a company spent that kind of money under the guise of future expansion which ended up not happening, there would likely be damages to be paid out.

To me, a month is nothing. But the real issue is that it was DM himself who was preventing even the possibility of entertaining prospective clients and investors. I see this whole situation as almost a power struggle, like a 2 year old has with his parents, a battle of wills. Poor little rich boy isn't getting his way this time and he is MAD AS HELL when it begins to look like everything is actually coming together. He sees doom, and tries to make sure he makes it become doomed... tries to blame it all on the professionals, the consultants hired to ensure its success. Remember the fellow said that DM wasn't even listed on the corporate organizational chart? Can you imagine how put out poor DM must have felt when his dad was listening to his paid consultants instead of HIM? jmo.

"Adam Carter
Jun 12 2018 2:41 PM
Barnes says he was basically the second in command at MillardAir before he was let go. Dellen Millard wasn't on the company's organizational chart, Pillay says.""

This article states the concrete plans for the hanger began in 2011.

“A month later in June 2011, Millardair finalized a site plan agreement with municipal governments and applied for a building permit for a 51,516-square-foot hangar at the northwest corner of the airport, valued at $6.4 million. The building permit was approved in July 2011.”
From jetliners to police tape

A month without contracts might be nothing if the airport plans had began to progress into reality but that hadn’t occured by late 2012. By then it’s highly possible there were many indications that expansion for the new terminal and runways was not imminent therefore airlines would have no incentive to arrange contracts with an MRO that month, the next month or later.

It’s not unusual for businesses to gamble, land developers do it all the time on the prospects of planned urban growth and development which is much like what WN chose to do IMO. But the airport plan was only a plan, not a commitment, no guarantee it would proceed.

If there is motive for DM in all this, it would be the wasting of his anticipated luctrative inheritance on a costly project that had no future. JMO

So..... I asked my son about the gun.. he's into 'toy' guns.. just so happens he has an airsoft gun that is VERY similar in size.. (this one measures just over 11" in total length). I was SHOCKED at the weight of the thing.. and he said the weight of a real gun is even heavier (I'm presuming even heavier again if it's loaded with 6 'real' bullets)..
My bed happens to be against a wall, with a nightable beside.. but a dresser (like beside WM's bed) is a bit taller than a night table. We did the positioning experiment.
My theory about DM getting in bed in behind WM doesn't work at ALL.
It is definitely possible that WM could have done this to himself.. however.. it was awkward positioning. If you're doing this with intent, then why do it so awkwardly? And why not leave a note?
The part that concerns me is the position of the gun afterward, and how it would have shot out of his hand backwards into the space between the dresser and bed. Son says it would have landed that way based on the angle he would have had to have pointed in order for the bullet to reach the back right side of the brain (right parietal lobe). It's also a concern (imho) why his thumb was raised, because I'm assuming your entire body goes limp when you die, so why would his thumb remain in the curled up position?
It could also just as easily have been pointed AT him (by someone else). No wonder the coroner couldn't tell for sure and based his decision on what was said by the family members present.
jmo
Thank you for all this. It has always been my assumption that DM just walked up to his sleeping Dad and shot him while he slept. Trying to stage it as suicide by climbing into bed or even holding his hand would be too risky of WM waking up. Shoot him while he is sleeping (no weird body position if he is fighting and/or resisting me or defensive wounds no knocked over furniture, screaming, etc. )

From article: Millard's credit card statement shows a charge to a Pizza Pizza in Oakville, Ont., on Nov. 29.

I wish the statement included the time! The charge was made on the 29th, so def. after midnight, meaning that if MM was right about ordering the pizza within 10 minutes of getting back to Smich's house, that they did walk over to the plaza closer to 1am (when DM got the taxi) than 9pm as she had previously said.
Then again, without a time attached to it, couldn't it be argued that the charge was from when they went to get food when they woke up, after DM slept over?! IIRC, MM did say they went to get food the next day (same date).
Maybe there is a time attached to the charge in the statement of facts but Adam Carter didn't include it in the article...

This article is dated May, 2013.
BBM

“.......The venture was not for the faint of heart and not everyone believed it could succeed. One senior executive at an Ontario-based flight-training company, who did not want his name published, was touring on his motorbike one day last fall when he spotted the new hangar and pulled in to take a closer look. “It was empty, not a soul around, no cars. I was scratching my head and thinking I’m not getting this,” he said. “I just can’t see a business model that makes sense for a hangar of that size at that airport despite what they may have said to the airport authority.”

The doubts the executive expressed were similar to those raised by Dellen Millard in his steakhouse meeting with Mr. Sharif. But Mr. Sharif, who had helped set up similar businesses before, was convinced that the future was bright. He emphasized to Dellen, as he had to Wayne, that the real value of the business lay in its coveted Transport Canada operational certification, the high-quality team it had assembled, and the potential customers who, Mr. Sharif says, were lining up. To dismantle the business before things really got underway and plans came to fruition could mean getting back just 20 cents for every dollar invested.

Yet that’s exactly what Dellen, Wayne’s sole heir, did when his father died suddenly
....”
Tim Bosma murder suspect, Dellen Millard made surprising decision to dismantle family business

After the fact, the plans for the airport never came to fruitation. For employees involved in business development at the time, no doubt they’re going to share only optimism.

Aside from the murder aspect, what possessed WM to undertake such a high risk project, given it was something totally away from his realm of experience, intrigues me. Other than the stated intention for his son to take over, it’s almost as if it was something that would’ve finally made his own deceased father proud. All around such an absolute tragedy, how it ended.

Last edited:
WM told Woodward that he had $10m to fund the building and the first 2 years costs. At some stage WM must have realised he didn't have that much, possibly when the building costs overran and he was unable to make the payment due to the builder in June 2012 (although he did sign off on the incinerator at that time). The RBC loan would likely have been secured on the building and not necessarily on the future performance of the business. Woodward also agreed in cross that WM was having financial problems and had taken out a mortgage on his own home. The annual costs for 16 employees and servicing the debt was probably in the region of $1m.
I think DM knew about the problem earlier in 2012 when he asked for someone to invest $2m in the business. All he could see were mounting debts, and his cash resources being drained.
So the financial situation could be a reason for suicide but, from DM's point of view, also a motive for murder, he being the one most impacted in the future.
Why did they have so many mechanics on the payroll already - without any work to do?

I think being left handed would make it improbable that he shot himself in the left eye while laying on his left side. The wrist would be bent at a very uncomfortable position, especially if the barrel of the gun is long. DM probably didn't think of that, but it doesn't appear anyone thought of that either until after the arrest for TB's murder.
Well we know he didn't use his right arm because he was laying on it. Picture lying on your left side with your right arm under your head, then try to comprehend shooting yourself in you left eye with your left hand. Just doesn't make sense.

When son and I just tried it out, it wasn't very difficult at all. It was more like.. but why would he do it that way, when he much more easily could've done it *this* way.. type of thing.
Thats it exactly. Lie on your back and fire.

This article is dated May, 2013.
BBM

“.......The venture was not for the faint of heart and not everyone believed it could succeed. One senior executive at an Ontario-based flight-training company, who did not want his name published, was touring on his motorbike one day last fall when he spotted the new hangar and pulled in to take a closer look. “It was empty, not a soul around, no cars. I was scratching my head and thinking I’m not getting this,” he said. “I just can’t see a business model that makes sense for a hangar of that size at that airport despite what they may have said to the airport authority.”

The doubts the executive expressed were similar to those raised by Dellen Millard in his steakhouse meeting with Mr. Sharif. But Mr. Sharif, who had helped set up similar businesses before, was convinced that the future was bright. He emphasized to Dellen, as he had to Wayne, that the real value of the business lay in its coveted Transport Canada operational certification, the high-quality team it had assembled, and the potential customers who, Mr. Sharif says, were lining up. To dismantle the business before things really got underway and plans came to fruition could mean getting back just 20 cents for every dollar invested.

Yet that’s exactly what Dellen, Wayne’s sole heir, did when his father died suddenly
....”
Tim Bosma murder suspect, Dellen Millard made surprising decision to dismantle family business

After the fact, the plans for the airport never came to fruitation. For employees involved in business development at the time, no doubt they’re going to share only optimism.

Aside from the murder aspect, what possessed WM to undertake such a high risk project, given it was something totally away from his realm of experience, intrigues me. Other than the stated intention for his son to take over, it’s almost as if it was something that would’ve finally made his own deceased father proud. All around such an absolute tragedy, how it ended.
Very informative article.

is it possible they needed them on staff in order to get licensed?
I believe I read that at one time? Otherwise, doesn't make sense.. unless they had to get specific training certifications with MillardAir or something, ie non-transferrable certifications for specific types of work?

I have shot a gun very similar to this, it also depends how "stuck" the trigger is. Some are really sensitive, others require a bit of strength.

TPS really effed up not scanning the room and DM for gun powder residue.

If one of your close relatives were to commit suicide, how would you feel if they started running tests on you, just to be safe? Truth is that the vast majority of these types of incidents are exactly what they appear to be and the police have to have compassion for family members. Should they have checked MBs hands too? The housekeeper? The problem here is that one in a million kids kill their parents. DM was acting normally and gave the appearance of being helpful. Both he and MB didn't seem surprised and talked about depression and alcoholism. If the two of them had said "He never would have done that to himself", I'm sure police would have looked at things differently.

Hi All!

Following along once again and appreciating and enjoying all your comments and thoughts! I predict another guilty verdict for DM. I wonder about the vomiting, if the gun shot would have been immediately fatal...could WM have woken up and had any convo with DM and known what was about to happen to him? Or vomit from maybe his drink being laced with something? Something to think about.

Feel with the lies about a date and no mention of said date to Police that night, the email to Barnes, the lies about the gun and a few other things will seal the deal for DM.

Whatever happened to being patient and we will here about JS being there that evening? Hmmm maybe not such reliable sources afterall??

Hi All!

Following along once again and appreciating and enjoying all your comments and thoughts! I predict another guilty verdict for DM. I wonder about the vomiting, if the gun shot would have been immediately fatal...could WM have woken up and had any convo with DM and known what was about to happen to him? Or vomit from maybe his drink being laced with something? Something to think about.

Feel with the lies about a date and no mention of said date to Police that night, the email to Barnes, the lies about the gun and a few other things will seal the deal for DM.

Whatever happened to being patient and we will here about JS being there that evening? Hmmm maybe not such reliable sources afterall??
I think they said death would have been almost instantaneous.

Thank you for all this. It has always been my assumption that DM just walked up to his sleeping Dad and shot him while he slept. Trying to stage it as suicide by climbing into bed or even holding his hand would be too risky of WM waking up. Shoot him while he is sleeping (no weird body position if he is fighting and/or resisting me or defensive wounds no knocked over furniture, screaming, etc. )
Yes, makes total sense. He would've risked waking him up to do it any other way. And it seems he had this planned out very well, so it's not like he could just make it another time.. took coordinating of phones, credit cards, alibis, sleeping over at a friend's, taking cabs, some kind of planning with his dog, choosing a day when the housekeeper would be there (maybe it was everyday?), having just had the meeting at the house,.. before the man got tooooo healthy, or tooooo in love with his new lady friend... really really too bad they didn't check DM out for GSR on that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname