GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy has ears, whether or not he was specifically informed. I'm sure he was keeping his ears and eyes fully open that night. jmo.

In the couple of instances of suicide of relatives/spouses of friends, they were not required to go to the police station and provide a recorded statement. They were just asked to provide a written statement. Maybe the routine procedure is different in Ontario? To an ordinary law abiding citizen (which DM clearly was not!) I’m imagining that following the death of a loved one, going to the police statement for an interview in a room with a video camera and two officers scribbling notes would be very intimidating. But in this case obviously it was very prudent by LE to do, after the fact at least.

Just playing devils advocate......on the flip side anyone who personally knows of a family member with alcohol issues and suffers from depression and then finds them dead in bed would immediately suspect suicide and not murder.

But it’s considering DM was found guilty of 2 other murders, why his reaction becomes very suspicious.

I disagree. Sliding doors left open, drug dealing friends and generally shifty lifestyle, a dad with a new MRO, a new girlfriend ... sure wouldn't cross my mind that dad just decided to end it all.

And my suspicion is not taking into account that he was later found guilty of two other murders.

Last edited:
Where are the taxi records and phone pings to say where the phones were at the time the pizza was ordered?
We haven't seen them all as they are in the agreed statement of fact. But Millards back up phone leaves with him, calls a cab near Smich's place then pings off the tower at Maplegate at about 6:00 AM. Hi regular phone stays at Smich's and calls for Pizza at just after midnight.

The question I'd have asked Meneses is why they used Millards phone to order a pizza instead of their own?

In the couple of instances of suicide of relatives/spouses of friends, they were not required to go to the police station and provide a recorded statement. They were just asked to provide a written statement. Maybe the routine procedure is different in Ontario? To an ordinary law abiding citizen (which DM clearly was not!) I’m imagining that following the death of a loved one, going to the police statement for an interview in a room with a video camera and two officers scribbling notes would be very intimidating. But in this case obviously it was very prudent by LE to do, after the fact at least.
They kept him waiting for five hours to give his statement. The fact that he didn't walk out of there tells me he's guilty.

Court is now back in session. Pillay is continuing his closing submissions.
by Adam Carter 2:23 PM

Pillay says there is no evidence before the court that Millard possessed or used the phone that was seen travelling to his father's home on the night of his death.
by Adam Carter 2:24 PM

Pilay says Millard had six phones registered under his name at this time. "It's not like Mr. Millard had only one phone or two phones, he had several phones active at this point in time," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 2:25 PM

The question I'd have asked Meneses is why they used Millards phone to order a pizza instead of their own?
<rsbm>

His phone might have been set up with a 'wallet' to use for online payment by credit card. Also, pizza places usually call back to confirm, so they may not have wanted to wake others with a house phone ringing late at night.

Pillay says Millard had phones under his name that other people used. Court has previously heard Smich used a phone that was registered under Millard's name. "That this phone was registered in Mr. Millard's name does not establish that he used this phone on that particular evening at all," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 2:27 PM

Pillay now noting that there were several times where Millard's two phones used in this case communicated with each other through the years.
by Adam Carter 2:28 PM

Pillay says the phone that was allegedly "set up as an alibi phone" was active after the incident, which doesn't make any sense, if that's the purpose Millard had been using it for.
by Adam Carter 2:30 PM

Pillay is also saying the "presumed time of death" in this case has "not been proven in evidence."
by Adam Carter 2:31 PM

We haven't seen them all as they are in the agreed statement of fact. But Millards back up phone leaves with him, calls a cab near Smich's place then pings off the tower at Maplegate at about 6:00 AM. Hi regular phone stays at Smich's and calls for Pizza at just after midnight.

The iPhone is what’s referred to as the backup phone, the Samsung the regular? Because MM testified that DM left the Samsung at MSs. I just don’t get why the two phones aren’t being distinguished by the brands during this trial, sure would make it less confusing.

"There is no concrete evidence that the time of death falls within this alleged period of a false alibi," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 2:34 PM

Pillay says it's not unusual for Millard to have left his car at Smich's home, if that's in fact what happened on Nov. 28/29. He says Millard "had a driver" during that period of time.
by Adam Carter 2:36 PM

Pillay also says Millard's police statement isn't detailed as to a "chapter and verse" of where he was on the night his father died. "It's not necessarily the case that it's a false statement," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 2:38 PM

Pillay is now moving to talk about the gun in this case. Pillay says the evidence here (ie text messages) is not clear as to Millard buying this particular gun. In those texts with Matthew Ward Jackson, a ".32 long" is mentioned. This gun was a .32.
by Adam Carter 2:39 PM

If found not guilty would the crown ever re-appeal?

Appeals, both sides, are based on judicial rulings or errors but not on verdict alone. Appeals are very commonplace, but the vast majority are dismissed.

Where are the other media outlets and why didn't they send anyone for the final day when they sent them for the opening? :mad:

I spent a lot of time this rainy weekend reading trial transcripts from the Steven Avery case, particularly their closing arguments.
Do we, in Canada, have these transcripts made available to us for cases such as these?

Pillay says there's no question Millard's DNA is on this gun. But Millard would have been reluctant to divulge its existence to police, "because the obvious question that would follow were who what were when ... and then he is necessarily exposing himself to liability ... and a whole host of questions."
by Adam Carter 2:41 PM

Pillay says "remarkably," police at the scene didn't ask Millard any followup questions, even when he asked "is it a revolver" when police told him a gun was found in his father's room. Pillay says Millard asked this because he didn't know what gun was used, and this was "powerful evidence."

"If he knew, I submit, that question never would have been asked," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 2:45 PM

Well that would be hard to do considering she agreed with RP that DM left the "back up" phone, the Samsung. Not sure if the Crown ever tried to recross this or if AC just tweeted it incorrectly.

MOO

Pillay says there's no question Millard's DNA is on this gun. But Millard would have been reluctant to divulge its existence to police, "because the obvious question that would follow were who what were when ... and then he is necessarily exposing himself to liability ... and a whole host of questions."
by Adam Carter 2:41 PM
<rsbm>

Oh, that's my first concern when a loved one is found dead ... "Lordy, am I exposing myself to liability here?"

Pillay says the DNA that was located on the gun was a mixture of "at least two people." He says that means the DNA of more than two people could have been on there. Wayne Millard was excluded from being one of them -- Dellen Millard was not.
by Adam Carter 2:47 PM

Pillay says there's no way to know the sequence of who touched the gun when -- ie: who touched it last. "It doesn't put the gun in [Dellen Millard's] hand at any time approximate to this particular incident," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 2:50 PM

Pillay says Millard never intended for this to happen, or Millard would have made an attempt to "sanitize" this weapon.
by Adam Carter 2:51 PM

Pillay says Millard had phones under his name that other people used. Court has previously heard Smich used a phone that was registered under Millard's name. "That this phone was registered in Mr. Millard's name does not establish that he used this phone on that particular evening at all," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 2:27 PM

I don't remember testimony in this trial that MS used a phone registered under DM's name? Anyone else? I know it came out in the TB trial.

Pillay says there is no motive that has been established in this case. "Not a single witness came before this court and suggested there was any discord between Mr. Millard and his father," he says. "There is nothing in the record before you that supports this one way or another."
by Adam Carter 2:53 PM

Pillay says it's clear that MillardAir was a complex organization that "Dellen Millard was in no position to run, in the absence of his father" -- and that's why he shut it down after his dad died.
by Adam Carter 2:54 PM

Pillay says he's now moving on to talk about suicide in the case.
by Adam Carter 2:56 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member