Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
A theory I hadn't put much weight on has moved up in my list of possibilities. That 3-hour conversation with her dad and the statement from the conference about "getting to know Mollie" makes me wonder if this was someone she was close to that others were largely unaware of. And that she probably confided in someone about this person so he/she isn't a total mystery. All MOO and pure speculation from my amateur armchair.
Yes, in other cases like this, the missing young woman DID tell someone about the "secret" relationship with the person who became the perp. In the Erin Corwin case, it was ONLY some texts to a childhood friend back home about the guy she was seeing in secret that broke open the case, and lead them to the killer.

I am still hopeful that "the tip" may come through after today's press conference which will solve this.

Someone knows something but perhaps they haven't realized it yet.

The more often the authorities remind everyone to call in even what they think is an insignificant detail, the greater chance the call will be made.

My hope is still great that Mollie will be found alive. I will always have hope unless there is proof otherwise.

Thanks to taximama24 for posting the video of the press conference. It is the only format I am able to access. I got a lot out of this presser, more than I expected and I don't know if this is because I am normally useless at reading body language and "between the lines" or who knows what.

My interpretation of this:
- They firmly have a POI
- Next press conference scheduled for this coming Friday because they are hopeful this person will "break" before then. Person already in the brink of it.
- The layout/setup of the presser is not insignificant and much thought was put into it. They still need some key witnesses to come forward and giving the presser outside the building, noises around, close to the local people ... would make these witnesses lose the "fear" of approaching the FBI/LE with what they wish to report they saw and forget for a few minutes about the "whatever happens after this?"
- High level of emotional intelligence on this gentleman who spoke most of the time Mr Kevin Winker. Not sure what cases he has been dealing with in the past but he has not lost one bit the ability to care and empathize.

Before the presser I was giving up hope and was starting to think "Sadly another cold case, just like Maura" My feeling on it has shifted dramatically and this is definitely not going to become a cold case jmho.

Details like this feed the "She bolted!" side of me.

With regard to her leaving, I keep coming back to they would not be spending this much manpower if they didn't have reason to suspect foul play. She is an adult, she is not a danger to the community or a danger to herself (as in they have never stated she is a missing person in need of her medication, etc), if they truly had no reason to suspect an abduction they would not have PCs at all, they would have no need to have called in the FBI, etc. Adults are allowed to leave, sometimes the way they do it is crappy for the people they leave behind but it doesn't make it wrong in the eyes of the LE and certainly doesn't warrant coverage like GMA and PCs and what not.

Ab
She’s 19 from a town of 2000. A very common thought/post for someone her age. She’s was going to college and taking the steps to get out of dodge. If true she was doing homework ... then why just give it all up and head to the hills? She had probably another 2-3 weeks in that town before returning to school. Don’t see the she “ bolted” Avenue.
I absolutely agree with you. The facts, as we know them, do not lend to her “bolting” as being a plausible scenario. I think that people are reading too much into her social media posts and “falling down the rabbit hole.” It’s fine to speculate on what is known, but the direction that some people are heading is contrary to the most likely possibilities.

Many alerts came in from this thread. Please only alert once on a post that is against TOS. Alerting four or five times on a post is time consuming.

There is still lots of speculation and casting of suspicion on Mollie's family and this is against our terms of service. Most of those posts were by brand new members but a few long time members responded and perpetuated the discussion. It then takes time to hunt down anyone who has quoted those posts. If an alert comes in for a post on page two and we are currently on page 30 I have to go through each individual post on all those pages.

The family and boyfriend have been cleared. For new members, Websleuths is a victim friendly site and that includes the victim's family.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them.

Lay off the family and those close to Mollie..

Thread is open again..

Last edited:
I know it was mentioned that FBI hesitated when asked about the community being safe, I think that's a catch 22 question - what could he really say? "Yes" and then something unforeseen happens or "No" and then the community freaks out. jmo

I’m hopelessly behind, but have watched the presser and read the last few pages in this thread. My new theory is that she connected with someone from college or her online summer class. She left with him or her voluntarily, but then things took a dark turn. She may be held against her will, or she may already be deceased. LE has traced the individual thru Mollie’s electronic communications, but don’t know current status or location. They are hoping to flush the person out, either thru tips, or fear. If the person thinks LE knows she connected with him/her, maybe they’ll come forward. By saying they don’t know whether she left voluntarily, the person may think there’s an out — e.g., “I did pick her up, but I dropped her off at her mom’s house; don’t know what happened after that.”

TOTAL speculation on my part.

Ain't that the truth!? It's a heavy burden to carry when you are hiding something. It seems hard to tell the truth, but it's easier than carrying that weight. The heaviness of the burden doesn't go away over time - it's relieved by telling the truth and setting things right.

Somebody out there can set things right again.

jmo
Tara Grinstead case comes to mind. After over a decade, someone came forward to give the information needed for an arrest. Reportedly it was weighing on that person and those that knew. Lead to a decade of turmoil in many ways for those that knew something.

Hopefully whoever knows something comes forward willingly
Yes there’s only a certain amount of time. That’s why people have “delete” where a post once was I think ....
I haven't been able to figure out how to delete in this format on mobile regardless of the timeframe. Anyone know if there is a way?

In that new article, there's this:

Neighbor Dave Collum, a retired maintenance director for the school district, said he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening and made it home from the run safely. He said investigators told him she was doing homework on her computer later that evening.

Still unsubstantiated by LE but that's a new person described as saying it.

Although I think they're also getting some names wrong so who knows about these reports...

Quote source: Investigators still baffled by disappearance of Iowa student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member