PA PA - Mary Ann Verdecchia, 10, Bloomfield, 7 June 1962

I do know that in the 50s, there was a young man who tried to snatch a young girl in Pennsylvania-I wonder if it is the same guy? I can't remember the case, but the guy was questioned re another case where a young girl was either snatched or murdered.

Becky Triska went missing from Ambridge in September 1958. The suspect, Frank Senk, was 26 at the time. He was later convicted of murdering Jane Benfield of Centralia, Columbia County.
http://www.pamissing.com/triskarebeccaann.html

The google pictures and the old map on the PA Missing site are excellent. The Boulevard Apts is the same building as Martinique. I have been there. Not far from where I live. And walked around and through the arch and drive through. This is not a newer building. Seems it was maybe from 1920's or 30's. There is an incinerator leading up from roof and I think five floors altogether. Several doors to the outside.

Sorry that I am so late to this discussion. I lived in the same neighborhood as Mary Ann. We all played together back then as there were many children who lived in that area then. Mary Ann and I were the same age and grade level. However, we attended two different Catholic grade schools.
There are a few things I'd like to adjust and perhaps a few more later as I remember them. Lets start with these:
1. The Martinique Apartments were renamed to The Belvedere Apartments back then. The only way the building changed is that a wood sign was placed over the first name which was etched into the building above the door. The main entrance is rather small and unassuming.
2. The building was not torn down. There is an empty lot next door where a Cities Service gas station was located. It was torn down as was a small apartment building across the street.
3. There was a business in the area where the pizza shop is currently located and not a restaurant.
4. There is a public bar located in The Belvedere today called P Town. Back in the day, it was a "go go" bar in that strippers appeared there. It had a marque announcing the performers. It was not a loud or trouble making location back then.

5. Several neighborhood kids stated back then that they had seen Mary Ann on a nearby bridge walking in the direction of going back to the school she attended. There were so many kids who were in that area that they could have easily seen someone else.
6. More than likely, by my thoughts, she disappeared in that building and was disposed of some other place later. It is so easy for a child like her to be overpowered, abused, killed, and taken elsewhere.
7. I have checked the location of the building for an incinerator. There appears to be a smoke stack, but not one large enough to have an incinerator. I could be wrong though. If there was an incinerator, she could have been burned and disposed of in an other location as ashes. There are several bones which exist after an incineration; but they are not that large. Any way, this is one way which would explain her going away so quickly and thoroughly in such a short amount of time.
I'll write more later; but, need to stop right now.

Sorry that I am so late to this discussion. I lived in the same neighborhood as MaryAnn. We all played together back then as there were many children living in our neighborhood area then. Mary Ann and I were the same age and grade level. However, we attended two different Catholic grade schools.

Many individuals worked hard attempting to find Mary Ann. Police, fire, relatives and neighbors searched and spent many hours looking for her. My father and his brother were both on the Force, not assigned to the case, but dedicated their skills and time in the hopes of finding Mary Ann.

There was one person who stood out: Assistant Police Chief Therese Rocco. She specialized in missing children cases and established many protocols still used today. Assistant Chief Rocco has authored a memoir of her career. Mary Ann Verdecchia is a central theme throughout it. She is 92 years old now; but, she has NEVER given up on solving this case. If you would like knowing about this case from her perspective, find her book: Therese Rocco, A Memoir. It is available on Amazon.

There are a few things I'd like to adjust and will add other points later.
Lets start with these:

1. The Martinique Apartments were renamed to The Belvedere Apartments back then. The only way the building changed is that awood sign was placed over the first name which was etched into the buildingabove the door. The main entrance is rather small and unassuming.

2. The building was not torn down. There is an empty lot next door which might make someone think there may be an error in the address number. This lot is where a Cities Service gas station was located. It was torndown as was a small apartment building across the street.

3. There was a business in the space where a pizza shop is currently located and not a restaurant. Back then, I really don't recall a restaurant in that building; but, for all I know there may have been one. This could be checked by looking at an old photo of the building or looking at the phone book from that time.

4. There is a public bar located in The Belvedere building today called P Town. Back in 1962, it was a "go go" bar. Strippers appeared there and there was a marque announcing the performers appearing. It was not a loud or trouble making location back then, but those families in the area were not happy having it there. Also, at that time, immediately beside it there was a braille library.

5.Several neighborhood kids stated back then that they had seen Mary Ann on the Millvale Avenue Bridge, a nearby bridge on the street connecting Morewood Avenue (where Mary Ann and I lived) and Baum Blvd, where The Belvedere is located. Mary Ann was seen walking in the direction of her school she attended, Immaculate Conception There were so many kids who were living and normally walking in that area that they could have easily seen someone else.

6. More than likely, by my thoughts, she disappeared from that building and was disposed of at a different location. It is so easy for a child like her to be overpowered, abused, killed, and taken elsewhere. The build has a number of doors, unlabeled, on the first floor. Plus, the driveway to the back of the property travels under the building on the street level. On two sides, the building has a first floor. In the middle, it starts on the second floor.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
** DDXRRR **** XXBB

D = Door, X=Regular Space, R = Restaurant (now pizza shop)
** = Drive way, BB= Bar (Strippers then, Regular Bar now)

7. I have checked the location of the building for an incinerator. There appears to be a smoke stack, but. I could be wrong though. If there was an incinerator, she could have been burned and disposed of in another location as ashes. There are several bone sections which can still exists even after a cremation, so if a body is incinerated, there would be something beyond ashes. Anyway, this is one way which would explain her going away so quickly and thoroughly in such a short amount of time. More later.

Thanks Scoop for sharing information and thoughts. It must have been devastating for you and her other friends, family and community. There are many who hope against hope that this sad, haunting mystery will be solved. I think the incinerator in the building was referenced in a news article about Mary Regan's 1958 murder, when police were searching for a murder weapon. The reference to a restaurant there was from an older city directory. Was the Belvedere bar located where PTown is or where the pizza shop is now? The pizza shop has a wide view of Baum.

There are photo maps taken in 1957 & 1967 that are helpful in seeing how that area has changed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Today

attachment.php

Street view

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 288
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 288
attachment.php

https://www.newspapers.com/image/?spot=19540445

The Martinique from the Pittsburgh Press, 7/9/1958. The circle is the apt where Mary Regan was killed. The car dealership in the forefront is where Vocelli's Pizza is today. The Belvedere Bar was likely where P-Town is now. Makes sense since Mary Ann, on her way to the apartments, waved to Mary Adancik who was standing at the window of the bar.

Attachments

• Martinique 1958.JPG
    Martinique 1958.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 249
This is an excellent picture of the Martnique. Behind the apartment bldg there is a garage- think it is still Joga's. On the other side of the garage is a very large apartment bldg - Ambassador Apartments at 4733 Centre. It appears that a colannade connects with the same garage. There was a listing for Martinique garage in an old city directory at the address for the Martinique apartments.

PA - Mary Ann Verdecchia, then 10 -
Allegheny County >> Pittsburgh - 1962
Born: 15 Aug 1951*

Trib-Live Article -- July 2018:
Answers still sought for 'lonely child' who disappeared from Pittsburgh in 1962

NamUs # MP 7036:
Missing Person Case

*PA Missing Persons & UID Victims:
Pennsylvania Missing Persons and Unidentified Victims

Doe Network 1627DFPA:
The Doe Network: Case File 1627DFPA

Pennsylvania Lost n Missing:

Pennsylvania Lostnmissing

Pennsylvania Missing & Unidentified:

Pennsylvania Missing Persons

[Message 5801
Thread 19917]

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this information. The article provides some info not found in news articles from that time-

William Dozier stated he told her Miss Emery was not home and saw her leave and cross Baum towards Morewood.

And Therese Rocco states that she believes she knows who was responsible and where it ended.

Powerful information!

Thank you for sharing this information. The article provides some info not found in news articles from that time-

William Dozier stated he told her Miss Emery was not home and saw her leave and cross Baum towards Morewood.

And Therese Rocco states that she believes she knows who was responsible and where it ended.

Powerful information!

Yes, William Dozier was also quoted in the article about Mary Regan's murder in the Martinique. He was working there at that time, too.

It seems unlikely that Miss Emery would have sent Mary Ann on an errand, then left the building before she returned. Was it ever verified that Miss Emery actually sent her on an errand?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back