Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think Mollie started out on foot Thursday morning without texting someone. It seems out of character for anyone under 30 imo.

If her running things were not found then I am not sure she was on the computer later at all. Unless it has been proven she sent the pic at 10pm. But then where are her dirty clothes? LE would have searched and since they have only given out “last seen wearing” and nothing else, they must feel certain she wore them when she disappeared

Idk about her sports bra/top and running shorts but apparently the earbuds also gone.

IMO, she can still pack her earbuds in her pocket going to work. It would have been a long day with the kids at the field trip, she probably would have had some down time to play on the phone, listen to music, videos, etc. I know I used to bring my earbuds nearly everywhere.

Furthermore, her not texting anybody in the morning isn't as crazy as it sounds (assuming she was up in the morning).

First off, it's super early, most people are asleep. Secondly, she had to get ready for work. In theory, she had time to shoot a text but not every millennial does at every minute of the day. It's possible she was going to text her brother/boyfriend/mom soon but was taken right before. JMO.

This isn't true at all. Telling somebody that they've been cleared and are not a person of interest is a very powerful tool used by PD with people who are actually still under investigation. It prevents people from clamming up, going into hiding, lawyering up and pleading the 5th.

What he said is exactly true. Police don't lie to the public. They do lie to individual suspects.

ALERT, ALERT: Mollie's Mom gave an interview (and many family photos) to Daily Mail. Many revealing details at link below. Again, this is directly from Laura Caldwell

[Dalton Jack] He says his last contact with his girlfriend of three years was a Snapchat message he opened at around 10pm.

Jack thinks it [snap photo] was taken indoors at his house but told DailyMail.com he couldn't be sure because the message expired ten seconds later.

The anguished mom of missing student Mollie Tibbetts has revealed perplexing new clues about her daughter's mysterious disappearance two weeks ago - telling DailyMail.com: 'I'm in purgatory.'

Her car, a wallet containing a driving license and debit card, and an unused passport, have all been located, according to Laura - who says it's 'inconceivable' her daughter skipped town without saying a word.

<modsnipped>

Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

Late Edit to add credit to local writer:

By BEN ASHFORD IN BROOKLYN, IOWA FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 18:32 EDT, 3 August 2018 | UPDATED: 18:32 EDT, 3 August 2018

Last edited by a moderator:
If it helps alleviate your irritation at all, I don’t think the purpose of her speech was to derail from MT’s case in any way. I believe she was up there to help clarify numbers and help people to understand that the missing persons cases the internet has gone crazy with lately are truly unrelated. As she stated, a good majority are runaways. Honestly, I think they called her in to inform people, I think she had good intentions.

Thanks for providing some positive perspective, PNWgirl! That helped. I do believe it was extremely well-intentioned. I honestly do. I just really don't think that was the time or the place to have that presentation...maybe it would have been more palatable if after the main presser, they could have given the parents & bf the opportunity to leave and then she could have given her spiel.

Can somebody post the official statement from the investigators/PD stating who, if anybody, has been cleared of any suspicion of involvement?

If I'm like most people, I only check in here now every once in a while because the threads move so fast I have trouble keeping up. I read several posts, then jump ahead and hope to catch something relevant. I know if anything earth-shattering hits the news, I can google before I get on and see about 10 updates on major news sites. I just have to filter through the reposting and rewording of the titles of articles I see online to see which ones are actually new information.

Here's a thought I just had - I remember with Holly Bobo that initially there were a few early clues regarding her abduction...blood drops in the garage...a lunch bag on the side of the road...maybe her phone recovered. Anyway, I think that this is sort of an interesting situation because there are relatively few items that could be dropped during the process of being abducted by Mollie...sport bra, shorts, socks, underwear, running shoes, phone, fitbit, and a red shirt. Those are the only items we know that are missing unless I am incorrect. And now perhaps we have one of those items pending an official announcement, the red shirt. That is the one item that we would have the greatest chance of recovering because she would not necessarily have to be wearing it. The only other item would be her phone, more difficult to find due to size and color. That being said, the red shirt may be the only item we locate until she is located. My bet is that if that shirt was hers...the abductor threw it from a vehicle in route with her or upon returning from disposing of her or a remote chance that Mollie dropped it during the movement from a car to another location. Let's hope that the shirt was hers and if so LE is drawing a grid around its location to begin an intense search. She couldn't be far from there.

Another question - I assume there has been no mention of missing earbuds? If they're gone, you can bet she left on foot and was abducted in route walking to another location. My kids wear them constantly when we are driving or when jogging or walking...otherwise they are not connected.
Earbuds can also be located with "Find My iPhone". I'd be curious to know the delta between the last location of the ear buds and the last location of the phone.

<snipped quoted post>
LE has absolutely ruled out the boyfriend. I am taking them at their word. I assume they were able to prove that he was where he said he was. It's your choice to decide otherwise, I guess, but in addition to that, he appears to love Mollie, IMHO, and would have no motive to do away with her.

ALERT, ALERT: Mollie's Mom gave an interview (and many family photos) to Daily Mail. Many revealing details at link below. Again, this is directly from Laura Caldwell

[Dalton Jack] He says his last contact with his girlfriend of three years was a Snapchat message he opened at around 10pm.

Jack thinks it [snap photo] was taken indoors at his house but told DailyMail.com he couldn't be sure because the message expired ten seconds later.

<modsnipped to comply with copyright rule>

Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online
This scenario solves just about all the problems I have with the case. Mollie does return home from her jog, uses the computer, and keeps her running clothes on because she is planning to walk to her mother’s house later on. She finishes what she is doing on the computer and then leaves the house for her mother’s place. It would be late, and thus dangerous, but it would kind of make everything make sense if what happened to her happened on this walk.

How could Mollie vanish without a trace?
"It was reported that a red t-shirt linked to Mollie's job had been found, but her mom says her daughter owned two of those shirts and they are both in her room."

Can’t be sure when she worked on homework after all, it seems:

Calderwood said that a look at the internet history after it was retrieved from Jack's house suggested Mollie had been working on a homework assignment for her Roman Civilization class.

However, she warned that it was unclear exactly when the laptop was used and cautioned against drawing any firm conclusions.

Last edited:

The anguished mom of missing student Mollie Tibbetts has revealed perplexing new clues about her daughter's mysterious disappearance two weeks ago - telling DailyMail.com: 'I'm in purgatory.'

Her car, a wallet containing a driving license and debit card, and an unused passport, have all been located, according to Laura - who says it's 'inconceivable' her daughter skipped town without saying a word.

'Every time I try and form an opinion there is a piece there that doesn't fit into the puzzle,' a confounded Laura told DailyMail.com.

Investigators are so far refusing to say whether or not Mollie made it home from her jog, with conflicting evidence suggesting she may have gone missing later that night or even the next morning.

THE MISSING ITEMS

Mollie's mom told DailyMail.com that all the items and clothes she took on her run have never been located.

These include her Fitbit, a gold-colored iPhone 7s in a protective case, some white earbuds and an armband pouch she used to hold the handset while she ran.

Her dark colored running shorts, pink sports top and running shoes are also yet to be found despite extensive searches of Brooklyn and the surrounding county.

Mollie would often walk from Dalton Jack's place back to her mom's house in Bear Drive to eat with her brothers Scott, 17 and Jake, 21.

If she were using "find my phone" for the iPhone, they can find it in a heartbeat; even if it is turned off. If someone knew her account password....or LE would have to get a warrant to access.

imo something happened that first night and she hasn't been with us since then. I think it occurred with someone known and trusted by her.
And I also wonder if that person is sooooooo very very sorry! I'm thinking about a crime of passion, protecting someone else perhaps.

I’m talking about doing it publicly, announcing it to the media and thus the world. I’m not talking about what they tell a potential suspect. I think I stated this pretty clearly.
You did and are exactly correct. However, LE is sometime ambiguous with statements to the public that are sometimes misleading. Like, "she was last seen wearing her running gear." Is that what they think she was still wearing because they know if the running gear was in the laundry at the house or is gone? Another is "we can't tell you why she is missing" - is that they don't know or they are choosing not to tell?
So, they don't lie but you have to listen to their statements carefully.

How could Mollie vanish without a trace?
"It was reported that a red t-shirt linked to Mollie's job had been found, but her mom says her daughter owned two of those shirts and they are both in her room."

That was a whoooole lot of info that the police have been quiet on, and that Mom spilled to the reporter. Maybe the family isn’t so sure that absolute silence is the way to go. I can say I am either.

When Lyric & Elizabeth went missing in Evansdale, I personally believe the local authorities did an excellent job of responding. When the FBI came on the scene everything went silent, citing the need to preserve investigation details. They continued to schedule press conferences, which sounded pretty similar to these, by the way. I believe it was two years later, iirc, when they decided to announce that they’d like

This news is interesting. Mollie's mom first reported (wish I had a source) that the shirt was going to be handed out/available the day before the event/fair. Because of this, the mom looked for a shirt but didn't find one.
Am I dreaming? Does anyone else remember this version of the red shirt detail shortly after the case broke?

WBG, I remember. Either that, or we share a dream life.

If she did homework after her run, then she had to have arrived home after the run.

Maybe Mollie came back from her run and didn't change. Maybe she kept listening to music as she did her homework. She was a young fit healthy woman, so no reason to assumed that going for a run would leave her sweaty and smelly.

Maybe someone came to the house as she was doing homework, and maybe someone entered the house while she was running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa