Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing this article over from the last thread, thanks @heed101 for the link:

Deadly Dads: Some of the Shocking Reasons Fathers Kill Their Own Children | The Forensic Outreach Library

“While it’s true that over 50% of filicides – the murder of children by their parents — are committed by the mothers, fathers have also been known to carry out these killings. In fact, most cases of familicide — where the entire family is murdered at once — are committed by the father.“

Snip

“Under pressure
At times, it appears that fathers turn to murder when the pressures of life abound. They feel that they aren’t able to cope with the increasing demands and the feeling of helplessness overwhelm them to the extent that they believe murder is their only way out.
Robert Rowe was a former lawyer who, in the years leading up to his shocking murder of his wife and children, had lost his job at an insurance company, failed to earn a living as a cab driver and suffered considerable financial strain as a result. To add to these problems, one of his sons was physically disabled, which unfortunately added even more financial pressure on the family. What he did next, he saw as an act of love for his family and a way to put them out of his suffering.“

-more at link

Last edited:
I was thinking that he had 6 weeks to contemplate the debt they were in while he was alone. But you are right - he definitely could have found some stashed mail and past-due notices. He might not have even known there was a court date coming up. I don't know how other husbands are, but my husband definitely would have put a halt to all my travel and gender reveal parties, etc., and told me to get my priorities straight and quit spending money. (And like I posted in the last thread, nothing is free. Those all-inclusive vacations she was winning were costing something.)

Hard to believe that family members were not aware that at least "something" was going wrong in that household. Did they share their issues with finances with anyone?

The smiling faces in the photos just don't add up.

Every time I read something new on this case, it gets worse... I didn't think that was possible. At all.

hi my ana

i agree and i just dont know

its different everywhere

what is released

what is never released

are we, by Tues night , in this state, going to know a lot more

they already sealed shi@ before he walked into the courthouse

how is this in this state gonna work guys

After looking through her very public Facebook photos (and the doll on a couch is still there - just not 0n her timeline) I gotta be honest, her marketing of Le-Vel was pretty excellent and I can easily see how people get sucked in.

On the other hand, I can see how doing so much of this marketing would take a LOT of time. I would guess it's gotta be more time consuming than a full time job especially with all that travel.

My thought on the doll is: Isn't it pretty common for little girls to cover dolls' head when they're 'sleeping'? I'm not bothered by this photo.

To me, this picture is only odd because we have hindsight. If one of my friends posted it, I wouldn't think a thing. My kids are very morbid, though. Just this week my 7 year old DD made a pact with her BFF: she wouldn't talk about dead people if her friend promised not to spit.

I was thinking that he had 6 weeks to contemplate the debt they were in while he was alone. But you are right - he definitely could have found some stashed mail and past-due notices. He might not have even known there was a court date coming up. I don't know how other husbands are, but my husband definitely would have put a halt to all my travel and gender reveal parties, etc., and told me to get my priorities straight and quit spending money. (And like I posted in the last thread, nothing is free. Those all-inclusive vacations she was winning were costing something.)

True. Like most couples, they really need to be open and honest about their finances, especially when it's all tight and they are now anticipating more financial stress with the new baby.

But, in my experience the HOA goes through this lawsuit business so they can legally file for a lien against the mortgage. We had this happen with a neighbor who just stopped paying anything & declared bankruptcy. It became the bank's responsibility to enforce the payments and pay the HOA lien off. They sold the house at auction and evicted her, finally, but it took at least 6 years to do so. We haven't heard that CW and SW were being threatened with eviction.

Heck, if he showed up with a certified check for half of that ( like about $800) the HOA would likely accept that and payment terms. A lien of $1554 is very small potatoes. Ours was for about $11,000

This may not be terribly relevant but it does make me wonder.. The patches that Shanann was wearing during her pregnancy had to have been borderline not safe. I was looking at the ingredients of these patches and they're totally bizarre..at best they do nothing, at worst they poison you. CoQ10 lowers blood pressure, willow bark is basically aspirin and it has three different kinds of caffeine.

It looks like her husband was also using these...was he also using steroids?

I think this MLM she was with will play some kind of role in all this. They're always a bit cultish and mysterious but in her case it seems to have been what she needed for a boost in her confidence. Was he jealous, feeling left out? Don't couples usually get involved in these kind of things together...considering they're all consuming?

So he wasn't allowed to check the mailbox nor open the mail?

She must have been real great at hiding all the bills then. Nay?

Lol. Just kidding. But seriously. He probably overseen every penny in that house and hated her new independence with her traveling job. Jmo.

It's entirely possible he hadn't seen the bills, etc. I handle the finances in our house. My husband has no idea how much is in the bank, how much out bills are or when they are due. Not because it's a secret but he just never asks. As long as he has money for his car parts, etc, he's a happy camper. He even jokea about how screwed he'd be if something happened to me and I was laid up for a bit. I get home from work before him so I could intercept any mail. With CW working outside the home, it is possible she hid things.

So he wasn't allowed to check the mailbox nor open the mail?

She must have been real great at hiding all the bills then. Nay?

Lol. Just kidding. But seriously. He probably overseen every penny in that house and hated her new independence with her traveling job. Jmo.

I think she was the one one holding the pursestrings. He strikes me as willing to be passive and uninvolved

This may not be terribly relevant but it does make me wonder.. The patches that Shanann was wearing during her pregnancy had to have been borderline not safe. I was looking at the ingredients of these patches and they're totally bizarre..at best they do nothing, at worst they poison you. CoQ10 lowers blood pressure, willow bark is basically aspirin and it has three different kinds of caffeine.

I think this MLM she was with will play some kind of role in all this. They're always a bit cultish and mysterious but in her case it seems to have been what she needed for a boost in her confidence. Was he jealous, feeling left out? Don't couples usually get involved in these kind of things together...considering they're all consuming?
From what I've observed from many friends, usually the women get into it and sometimes their husbands come on board, or at least it's made to look that way. I have one friend who I know wasn't happy in her marriage before starting a MLM business, then all of a sudden after she gets the car and the trips and starts gushing about her wonderful husband, he seems to be part of it. Honestly, I think it's in their training/messaging. It all seems to follow a pattern. I don't think there was anything unique about Thrive.....they are all the same in terms of this. It's a huge self esteem boost for women and that's part of the pitch.

Hard to believe that family members were not aware that at least "something" was going wrong in that household. Did they share their issues with finances with anyone?

The smiling faces in the photos just don't add up.

ty ty ty ty

insta freaked me last night

what did i do for a living - extend invitation to folks to be authentic

kinda pissed and over media doing all this perfect family stuff

excuse me someone murdered three people and stuck two kids in motor oil

he is not seeing or hearing things

so please stop it

something was clearly very wrong with both of them

and in my mind it is like they are all reporters they live on Sm

I am "allowed" for lack of a better word to not know how this BS works they are not -- there wives are probably posting the same stuff

now, I have to say , the more stuff we learn about how bad this stuff is , yes I am patting myself on the back , that intuitively I did not like it and have never participated

i am heavy i like good conversation (face to face - that lasts 5 hours ) not 145 characters or whatever it is

Hi guys! I didn't search to see ift his is a repeat, if so, please forgive. It was something I hadn't heard before. Report: Security video shows Watts loading bags into pickup
I also visited my vet (just south of the crimescene) and EVERYBODY is talking about this case.
We were all saying how flabbergasted we were that he probably murdered the children after the party (hopefully in their sleep, hopefully suffocated rather than strangled, but we all want to minimize what our psyches can handle I guess), then he murdered Shanann pretty quickly after her arrival (since she'd be wanting to see the children first thing). Thankdog the friend blew up his staging of the scene, because I THINK he was planning on heading home for lunch to do such things. Not that anything would've changed, just taken longer.
Jim just shakes his head at me as I said That husband did it, the very minute I saw him on the evening news. But that wasn't a huge gamble. They do it a high percentage of the time. That friend checking on SW so assiduously also sent prickles up the back of my neck......Thanks for being here, WebSleuths.

I almost wish that the focus would go on the MLM, and how it made CW go crazy, he snapped, because of the financial crisis, directly related to the MLM mentality and fanaticism Shanann had towards her MLM. More money, more time, more travel, and the psychology of "perfect life" facade, to build up the MLM persona.

I don't like victim blaming, make the villain the MLM, that was destroying his marriage.

I don't compare CW to Bundy, SP, or JM, all of whom were far more intelligent than CW. CW came off as pretty stupid to me, if he had planned a family killing, for 6 weeks, it would have been far more difficult to get him to confess. He would still be free, pleading for his wife to return.

No way can he get bail, he would disappear in a heartbeat.

I believe that C.W. 's behavior and actions are parallel to Jeffrey MacDonald's.

They both demonstrated narcissistic rage at a psychopathic level when killing their wives and children.

I happen to think that the girls woke up to the sounds of fighting and that they were killed after 2:00 a.m., same as S.W.

You may find this article (below) fascinating. A forensic psychologist has placed murderers in specific categories, according to psychopathy.

On The Scale Of Evil, Where Do Murderers Rate?

I am just catching up and have not seen this mentioned, but it was my first thought. Mom came home, argument ensued, it got physical and he killed her. The girls were witnesses and could not live because they would tell. It has been my thought all along. BBM

Random thoughts -
I’m thinking this is definitely a case of familicide. Not sure what the motive was at this point but since this case is so fresh I’m certain that will come out in time. The end result is the same though regardless of motive : For reasons unknown, CW decided his life would be better off without his pesky family weighing him down any longer so he heartlessly murdered them.

He obviously thought this out (premeditation) being that he chose to dispose of the bodies in an oil tank knowing would conceal the smell of decomposition and the bodies would be unlikely to be discovered. I believe he did initially plan to place his wife in there along with her babies.

The tanks that the toddlers were found in are fairly large and CW would have needed to climb a ladder to put them in. This could definitely explain why SW wasn’t found in the same locations as her babies - he may have simply been unable to lift her up that ladder so he had to dump her elsewhere.

He wasn’t prepared for the body of his wife to be too heavy for him to carry up that ladder. Nor was he prepared for that extremely concerned friend who reported SW missing 8 hours after dropping her off after she didn’t respond to texts. Since his plans were thwarted he had to act fast leading him to drop her body somewhere else. Maybe he intended to move her again but the friend had LE involved only a few hours later so that was no longer possible. He had to play the distraught Dad role at that point.

Had he placed her in the oil tank along with her babies as intended the bodies may have never been found and he possibly could have a completely different outcome.

Thank goodness for that friend that too notice when her intuition told her something was up. We all need friends like that.

All Jmo of course - just trying to make sense of this atrocity.

I believe that C.W. 's behavior and actions are parallel to Jeffrey MacDonald's.

They both demonstrated narcissistic rage at a psychopathic level when killing their wives and children.

I happen to think that the girls woke up to the sounds of fighting and that they were killed after 2:00 a.m., same as S.W.

You may find this article (below) fascinating. A forensic psychologist has placed murderers in specific categories, according to psychopathy.

On The Scale Of Evil, Where Do Murderers Rate?

Thank you for posting the very informative article.

This case brought me back to WS...WHY is that man smiling in the interview?????

‘dupers delight’.

Definition: A sociopath doesn’t feel too many emotions.

I came back for this too. I think the last time I spent this much time was during the Travis Alexander case. I thought CW's demeanor was bizarre as well, and I suspected he'd land where he is residing today.

Do we have any idea if he had any hobbies at all? Hiking, fishing, hunting, working on old cars, toy trains, stamp collecting, gardening?

I dont have any idea of anything that interested him from comments that others have made. He had a busy wife who was away a lot. He had two small pre-school girls that relatives could take care of. I think they had a dog? I remember some comment about them owning an older (not collectible) Mustang. The only thing he did other than work was go to the gym.....

He seems very bland and almost featureless, until he bulked up from the gym stuff and changed into a buff guy.....

After looking through her very public Facebook photos (and the doll on a couch is still there - just not 0n her timeline) I gotta be honest, her marketing of Le-Vel was pretty excellent and I can easily see how people get sucked in.

On the other hand, I can see how doing so much of this marketing would take a LOT of time. I would guess it's gotta be more time consuming than a full time job especially with all that travel.

My thought on the doll is: Isn't it pretty common for little girls to cover dolls' head when they're 'sleeping'? I'm not bothered by this photo.

I agree 100% with your entire post!

I couldn’t post every move I make on SM - facade or not. I think I would rather stick my hand in a fryer.:D

imo only

here is the bottom line its long i know

this is her actually moo

There. is .no.blaming.shaming.judgement. here.

It is, however the petri dish of the BOrderline Personality disorder (her not him )

no blame

just roll here

computer being a bit strange so pls pardon

Most people have fears of intimacy and are self-protective and at the same time are terrified of being alone. Their solution to their emotional dilemma is to form a fantasy bond. This illusion of connection and closeness allows them to maintain an imagination of love and loving while preserving emotional distance. Destructive fantasy bonds, which exist in a large majority of relationships, greatly reduce the possibility couples achieving intimacy.

The nature of a fantasy bond is the central concept of my theory as explained in my book THE FANTASY BOND. It explains people's compulsion to relive the past with new relationships i.e., to form illusory connections that invariably lead to a reenactment of defensive styles of interacting developed in childhood. This process of reverting to outmoded defense patterns interferes with the establishment of secure and satisfying adult relationships characterized by feelings of humanity, compassion, and equality.

Once a fantasy bond is formed, individuals prefer to maintain a defensive posture rather than trusting and investing genuine feeing in others. Once having been hurt, they are reluctant to take a chance again and this defensive pattern has an insidious effect on couple and family relations.

Men and women are most likely to become romantically involved at a stage in their lives where they are breaking dependent emotional ties with their families and experiencing a sense of separateness and independence. As they reach out and risk more of themselves emotionally, they tend to attract others with their vitality and enthusiasm. In the first stages of the relationship, they tend to let down their defenses and are open and vulnerable.

While this state of being in love is volatile and exciting, at the same time it can be frightening. ( I think this piece applies to him - lets be honest he was ugly fat probably bullied in midlife he appeared to excel when younger BUT then we have to ask what was going on for him - he was adorable when younger and ended up looking gross and dirty - severe depression? )

The fear of loss or abandonment as well as the poignant sadness often evoked by positive emotions may become difficult to tolerate, especially for those who have suffered from a lack of love in their early lives. At the point these individuals begin to feel anxious or frightened, they retreat from feeling close, gradually giving up the most valued aspects of their relationships, forming a fantasy bond.

By the time most people reach adulthood, they have solidified their defenses and exist in a psychological equilibrium that they do not wish to disturb. Although they may be relatively congenial with more casual acquaintances, (neighbors) there is a deterioration in friendly and respectful feelings as a relationship becomes more meaningful and intimate, because the new love object now threatens to disrupt this balance by penetrating their basic defenses.

A fantasy bond is the antithesis of a healthy personal relationship where individuals are free to express their real feelings and desires. This destructive tie functions to perpetuate feelings of distrust, self-hating thought processes, and the inward behavior patterns that each person brings to the relationship. In their destructive coupling, men and women surrender their unique points of view for an illusion of safety.

How fantasy bonds continue to affect us
While people may be comfortable casually criticizing their parents as adults, as children, it may have felt scary to be critical of one’s caretakers. People rely on their parents for survival, and at times, a parent’s neglect or hostility might have felt terrifying, even life-threatening to the child. Part of the formation of a fantasy bond involves young children learning to self-parent, both soothing and punishing themselves in similar ways to the parent.

Children identify with and internalize the ways the parent saw and treated them. They may try to preserve an idealized image of the parent by seeing themselves critically. As they grow up, they uphold an, often unconscious, internalized connection to their parent in the following ways:

• Idealizing their parents and family – i.e. “My parents were great. There was just something wrong with me.”
  • Maintaining a negative image of themselves – Many people develop a “critical inner voice,” a negative thought process, which, like an internal parent, coaches, critiques, and comments on them, as they live our lives, i.e. “I’ve always been too much for other people to handle. No one could love me.”
  • Projecting negative parental qualities and behaviors onto others – Without realizing it, we can project qualities of our parents onto the people we get close to throughout our lives. “She’s going to leave you. You can’t trust her.” “He’s critical of you. See how he looks at you.”
  • Recreating negative family dynamics in adult relationships – People may choose to get close to others who remind them of their past. Or, they may distort, and even provoke, the people close to them to recreate old, familiar, albeit negative, dynamics.
  • Reliving their parents’ life rather than living their own – Many people find it hard to differentiate and live their lives on their own terms. They continue to listen to the “voice” inside their heads that doesn’t always represent their real point of view.
  • Maintaining psychological defenses that were adaptive as children but that limit them as adults – The psychological defenses someone formed in childhood to make them feel safe and secure are hard to shake later in life, even when these defenses are no longer adaptive. Defenses often go on to limit individuals in their lives and interpersonal relationships. For example, if they used to shut down to avoid punishment or would cling to the parent to get soothed, they may carry these patterns into their adult relationships, when they actually serve to create distance, rather than bring people closer.
Fantasy Bonds in Our Adult Relationships
upload_2018-8-18_16-18-46.gifThough a fantasy bond is established early in life as a way to feel safe and connected, especially when one’s parents weren’t available or nurturing their needs, people go on to recreate these bonds in their adult relationships as a way to feel protected. As Dr. Robert Firestone wrote, “Most people have fears of intimacy and are self-protective and at the same time are terrified of being alone. Their solution to their emotional dilemma is to form a fantasy bond.”

This bond replaces the substance of a loving relationship with the form of being a unit. It keeps people at a comfortable distance emotionally, while maintaining a sense of oneness with their partner that allows them to feel an, often false, sense of security.

a fantasy bond exists along a continuum, and most of us fall somewhere on the spectrum in our relationships.

Perhaps the most significant sign that a fantasy bond has been formed is when one or both partners give up vital areas of personal interest, (this would be HIM) their unique points of view and opinions, their individuality, to become a unit, a whole. The attempt to find security in an illusion of merging with another leads to an insidious and progressive loss of identity in each person.

. They find life increasingly hollow and empty as they give up more aspects of their personalities. ( I go him here -- I hope i don't get in trouble here but I think (life entails risk huh!) he grew astounded that he was so puss# whipped and it shattered is masculinity ( hence his focus on getting more attractive)

and no matter the consensus here he sure as heck was a lot a more attracitve on his porch than his presentation. And to make that transformation had to be a hell of a lot of work)

frankly, I think it is hard for ladies here to acknowledge -- the porch interview is a handsome sexy male - just check in with yourselves ( i say this warmly)

But as the interview went on I could not help but get scared - like oh my god if he got really pissed he would be So scary so scary

i think that is why i think not premeditated i think he lost his marbles after feeling rage for a long time about being pu@sy whipped for so long

been off often -- we will see I think he just lost it -- was not like he wanted to kill her he just went off lost control

A Guide to the Fantasy Bond

Fantasy bond - Wikipedia

A Guide to the Fantasy Bond

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-18_16-18-46.gif
    upload_2018-8-18_16-18-46.gif
    35 bytes · Views: 22
  • upload_2018-8-18_16-18-46.gif
    upload_2018-8-18_16-18-46.gif
    35 bytes · Views: 17
Last edited:

Really I don't think the patches do a thing. Reputable scientists and doctors would say that most molecules and substances can't enter a body transdermally and get into circulation in such a way to cause effects. And it's a good thing our skin is such a protective organ!

Although I think Thrive patches are a total scam I can see they are sorta ingenious in the Instagram era. Even if wearing my kids Finding Dory band aids on my collarbone would have the same null pharmacological effect. Lots of opportunities for neat selfies displaying the patches.

On SWs social media the whole "I only sleep from 3 to 6 am and am a super mom and wife, cleaning driving a Lexus vacationing exercising making bank" stuff is sad to me. Especially knowing what happened to her.

Do we have any idea if he had any hobbies at all? Hiking, fishing, hunting, working on old cars, toy trains, stamp collecting, gardening?

I dont have any idea of anything that interested him from comments that others have made. He had a busy wife who was away a lot. He had two small pre-school girls that relatives could take care of. I think they had a dog? I remember some comment about them owning an older (not collectible) Mustang. The only thing he did other than work was go to the gym.....

He seems very bland and almost featureless, until he bulked up from the gym stuff and changed into a buff guy.....
I’m going to GUESS hiking, bicycling and yoga. This is based on nothing but typical Colorado family activities, and his physique/plank. Maybe skiing in the winter. Jmo moo. I’ll be curious to see if I’m right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert