WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m drawn into this case as well. I live about an hour from vp. I think it’s because Sam represents Seattle well. Outdoorsy, socially aware, independent, etc. pnw girl. her mom has made these video updates that are raw and vulnerable, as has the boyfriend. I feel they’ve been transparent and it’s bern inspirational the way the family, community and snohomish county rescue has rallied to find her. It’s just strange there is NO trace.
Agreed

I’m drawn into this case as well. I live about an hour from vp. I think it’s because Sam represents Seattle well. Outdoorsy, socially aware, independent, etc. pnw girl. her mom has made these video updates that are raw and vulnerable, as has the boyfriend. I feel they’ve been transparent and it’s bern inspirational the way the family, community and snohomish county rescue has rallied to find her. It’s just strange there is NO trace.

Reading between the lines in the FB post, it sounds like she was late in the day for summiting - they mention seeing her still going up at 1:30, when others were already descending. It looked like there was only another couple going up at the same time. Our days are long during the summer, but given the travel time from where she lived, I wonder if something happened on the descent, due to it getting dark, and nobody else on the trail at the same time to see what happened.

dup

Last edited:
dup

Last edited:
I didn’t want to think it, but I’m starting to agree foul play must’ve been involved on some level. All the 100s of people, drones, dogs, helicopters, search team. There is a guy on ig (49th parallel) that’s extremely skilled and has basically went rogue and commits to finding her himself. If she was injured, she wouldn’t be that far off the trail. A dog would’ve picked up the scent day one. So how in the world did she get so far off track and why? She’s experienced and had done this hike before. She knew the way back. She had to have been lured off the trail for some reason. And being an experienced hiker, why wouldn’t she stay put? Knowing that’s the best chance for survival and her family knew where she was at? If someone took her, wouldn’t there be clues? Items left behind? Tracks? Branches trampled? Something HAD to have happened. It’s getting to the point where it’s.....obvious. And the cell ping 20 miles ne is for sure an anomaly? Has anyone checked that area? It’s been a LONG time now.

Yes, the 3rd cell phone ping still being considered an anomaly after 18 days, and this much attention from SAR is strange. I get that the terrain isn't normal for average hikers, but still... blood hounds picking up nothing? Infrared cameras resulting in nothing? Idk, my spidey senses are going.

Last edited:
Search dogs are awesome and I have so much love and respect for them but they do not always find people. Seen it here on WS many times that a person was later found where dogs had searched earlier. Wind, rain, other people's scent, experience of the handler etc, there are many factors that can disrupt a scent trail.

The fact that dogs have not found Samantha does not mean she isn't lying somewhere in brush or in a ravine.

Have they used cadaver dogs?

This is about 20 miles from Pinnacle Lake Trail, the area where my childhood friend and her mother were murdered while on a day hike in the summer of 2006. The case remains unsolved.
I've noticed that anyone who brings up the possibility of foul play/abduction gets immediately villianized on the Facebook discussions. It is the first place my mind went, knowing the area, and the info that she was a skilled hiker. This woman and her loved ones deserve to have all avenues explored. The videos and photos from aug. 1st show that the trail is damn near crowded for such a wild place. Seems if she had a fall she would have easily been In earshot of another person within the 1/2 hr, assuming she wasn't so badly injured she couldn't call out for help.
I surely hope the possibility that she made it down to the trailhead and was abducted has been seriously considered. Do the cell pings jive with this scenario?
If you watch some of the Youtube hiker vlog videos from various serious hikers, you'll notice the community is very tight-knit. I've followed several for a while, and I am still astounded by how trusting and unconcerned with possible threatening humans they are. I love watching the interesting thru and day hikes, but the question and answer videos from a lot of the vloggers are practically an advertisement to predators. The fb discussions about foul play probably irritate the serious hikers. MOO

That's not really true. The Forest Service has guidelines on self-rescue. We don't hear very often about the people who are lost and self-rescue because they just get in their cars and drive home.
Actually, the list on that link says to stay put quite a few times. But it may be a moot point if she is injured somewhere. Since she is an experienced hiker, and was only on a day hike, and did not bring basic survival items(that is baffling to me), it would make sense that she is incapacitated in some way. Also, her car is still in the parking lot. moo

...Have they used cadaver dogs?

I have not seen any mention of it, but would love to know. My guess is yes. I really wonder what LE is doing/thinking. Right now there is still so much frenzy and viral support for finding her alive I doubt they would say publicly. Seems to me 18 days missing without food or water, or emergency supplies in other cases this would be considered a recovery.

I do hope and pray they find her, SAR from all over are still at it today. God bless them.

This is about 20 miles from Pinnacle Lake Trail, the area where my childhood friend and her mother were murdered while on a day hike in the summer of 2006. The case remains unsolved.
I've noticed that anyone who brings up the possibility of foul play/abduction gets immediately villianized on the Facebook discussions. It is the first place my mind went, knowing the area, and the info that she was a skilled hiker. This woman and her loved ones deserve to have all avenues explored. The videos and photos from aug. 1st show that the trail is damn near crowded for such a wild place. Seems if she had a fall she would have easily been In earshot of another person within the 1/2 hr, assuming she wasn't so badly injured she couldn't call out for help.
I surely hope the possibility that she made it down to the trailhead and was abducted has been seriously considered. Do the cell pings jive with this scenario?

Yes, they do get shut down and attacked for mentioning anything like that, and kicked off the page. I get where they are coming from, but I wonder if they’re shutting down suggestions on cadaver dogs as well.

A few years ago there was a tragic story about a young woman hiker who became injured on a hike and s friend who she was with fell and died trying to help her. She was found the next day by some climbers and subsequently rescued, but even though she was in close proximity to them they did not see her at first. In fact, while they were enjoying their climb, she is actually visible in the background of some of their photos. She had been RIGHT THERE and they didn’t see her at first.

The article here has the photos:
Meet The Three Hikers Who Saved A Woman's Life On A Hiking Trail | HuffPost

It just strikes me that if Samantha is injured she could be very close by and still not found. The hiker story above haunts me thinking of how she almost wasn’t noticed.

Sam Sayer's mother just posted a Facebook Live video in which she states that last night two "air scent" dogs hit on an area that is steep and thick with brush. Air scent dogs are dogs that are trained to indicate that a human scent has been located. The police are supposed to do a further examination of this area today, but have advised the family to not get their hopes up, as it could be anything at this point.

EDIT: I cannot seem to get the hyperlink to the video to work, so I have described what the mother was told here.

A few years ago there was a tragic story about a young woman hiker who became injured on a hike and s friend who she was with fell and died trying to help her. She was found the next day by some climbers and subsequently rescued, but even though she was in close proximity to them they did not see her at first. In fact, while they were enjoying their climb, she is actually visible in the background of some of their photos. She had been RIGHT THERE and they didn’t see her at first.

The article here has the photos:
Meet The Three Hikers Who Saved A Woman's Life On A Hiking Trail | HuffPost

It just strikes me that if Samantha is injured she could be very close by and still not found. The hiker story above haunts me thinking of how she almost wasn’t noticed.

Amazing story! Thanks for sharing.

Sam Sayer's mother just posted a Facebook Live video in which she states that last night two "air scent" dogs hit on an area that is steep and thick with brush. Air scent dogs are dogs that are trained to indicate that a human scent has been located. The police are supposed to do a further examination of this area today, but have advised the family to not get their hopes up, as it could be anything at this point.

EDIT: I cannot seem to get the hyperlink to the video to work, so I have described what the mother was told here.

I was just coming to report this as well. Really hoping it’s somethung and she’s alive. Think it’s interesting TWO dogs indicated something in the same spot. Afraid to have hope for them!

I was just coming to report this as well. Really hoping it’s somethung and she’s alive. Think it’s interesting TWO dogs indicated something in the same spot. Afraid to have hope for them!

I was glad to get this news as well. I don’t live far from the search area (30-40 mins.). I’m on pins and needles while they continue the search today—as I have been all weekend. I want to go up there desperately but would only be turned away and be in the way. My heart breaks for her sweet mom.

I was glad to get this news as well. I don’t live far from the search area (30-40 mins.). I’m on pins and needles while they continue the search today—as I have been all weekend. I want to go up there desperately but would only be turned away and be in the way. My heart breaks for her sweet mom.
I know, I keep checking obsessively to see the update. This is the first shred of hope I think they’ve had. I live just south of Bellevue so local to me as well! Just know so many people who hit these trails every weekend. Could be anyone.....

Also what happened to KD? He had such a strong social media prescience, then he shut down his profile, minimal post and silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo