Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
When this began it was NOT a 'big case where there's a crime" - it was a mystery - a missing person.

(snipped by me)
It is not folks wanted details because of curiosity or selfishness. Folks wanted to HELP and many have grown accustomed with using their devices to spread the word - which could be a wonderful tool imo when it comes to a missing person case!

And the particulars of that report didn't include the actual classification used for Mollie -

"OTHER Missing Adult"

And they never explained.

I think folks who sit back and say WELL we just don't deserve to have particular information because it is none of our business is missing the opportunity to look close enough at a case to help the next case be resolved quicker and hopefully with a better result.

For me I have cared about missing persons of all ages for a long long time. And sadly when a young woman vanishes it is very common for her to have not lived very long if abducted. It may be minutes, hours, or days but it is rarely more than three weeks before she dies. What is widely published is the first 72 hours are critical.

Those hours are so critical our Country has special task forces to attack when a child goes missing. I believe some of what they do with those cases should be used for every missing person - it should NOT still be where anyone in LE makes the assumption someone because of their age is either a runaway or walk-a-way (someone who is of legal age and because of THEIR privacy the case stalls for even a day) because UNTIL the MISSING is FOUND the circumstances cannot be clear for any third party be they LE or other.

And as a Society if a report is filed it deserves to be handled as an emergency in my opinion.

I believe the zeal and interest and concern should be fostered, harnessed, and used to our advantage - not reproved or belittled.

Just my opinion of course.

Beautifully stated... There will always be those who are attracted by sensationalism, however they are not the same as the caring and helpful individuals who repeatedly post on here. As a group we are fortunate to have people with LE experience, SAR experience, legal experience, etc. We also have caring citizens who try to assist, in whatever way possible, through mapping, searching and providing "boots on the ground" information. A great many of us are truly heartbroken by the outcome of this crime. RIP sweet Mollie! :(

... I know all the sleuthers want to be part of the outcome and kind of resent it when LE is reserved about information and solves the case themselves, but it's not wrong if they get the right outcome.

Hope you are OK with me chopping to the part of your post I specifically wished to comment.

I found this particular sentiment is not accurate. First many here have been drawn here, if by SLEUTHERS you refer to members of Websleuths, because of a personal event which occurred in their lives. That event has made them hypersensitive to particular events like missing persons. The aim is not some sort of glory seeking, the aim is more fellowship and a genuine desire to help.

Are you saying LE solved Mollie's case 'by themselves"? I would like how if that is what you meant how you got there.

First - We don't know who found Mollie do we?
Second - The media, Crimestoppers, and the family's efforts all were occurring in concert with LE's efforts I find it way too early to draw such a conclusion.

Of course this is all JMOO.

According to KCCIs live reporter the area that is blocked off is off the gravel road by Kwik Star gas #303, exit 201 on 21 ... that’s about 10 miles from the house where Mollie was staying

Google Maps

“ TELL US MORE ABOUT WHERE YOU ARE. YOU ARE SOUTHEAST OF THE TOWN OF BROOKLYN BETWEEN GUERNSEY AND DEEP RIVER ALONG HIGHWAY 21? >> THAT IS RIGHT. WE JUST TO EXIT 201 AND A RIGHT DOWN THE STREET AT THE QUICKSTART GAS STATION. RIGHT OFF THIS IS THE GRAVEL ROAD. THIS MAY BE THE SCENE OF WHERE THE POSSIBLE BODY HAS BEEN FOUND . WE ARE JUST EIGHT MINUTES AWAY FROM THAT EXIT OFF THE INTERSTA. ”
Right where the ping was. Ugh. RIP sweet Mollie.

If a body has been found after five weeks would an autopsy be required or identification? I don’t know, just asking.
They'll do one to positively confirm and to find any other information i.e. cause of death, time of death, toxicology, dna, etc. <modsnipped rumor>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from work, I logged in to FB and read the news that never wanted to read :( I am heartbroken, somehow I always expected she would return to her home safe. I hate it so much when a young person dies, especially in this type of circumstances. RIP Mollie.

I'm trying to read backwards but am impatient so if someone wants to respond with the following without getting annoyed, please feel free:

- Heard rumors of a press conference, what are the details of that?
- Has anyone overlaid possible location to any of our maps.

Scroll and roll if you must. Trying to catch up.
Press conference at 4pm CST.

This is MOO, but as someone who has suffered from severe depression to the point of attempting suicide, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that a suicidal person would go for a jog if they were planning on committing suicide that day. Regular exercise, being in contact with family are more tied to good mental health than signs of depression. It just doesn't add up to me on any level. Speaking for myself, I would NEVER want my parents and loved ones to wonder what happened and where I was for so long. Also, Mollie seems like somebody conscientious enough to at least leave a note for her loving family. It just doesn't add up to me, but that is only my opinion and perspective.

Leanne Beardon did just that. Committed suicide while on a jog/walk and was found hanging in a neighbor tree. It happens.

from the reports, it sounds like some LE and people close to LE had loose lips and told people, so it wasn't an official identification. They probably informally ID'd her based on her clothing and general description?
Even before formal ID, the body will have gender, rough age, hieght, weight/body build, hair length and color, clothing, jewelry, and perhaps drivers licence, phone, and rough elapsed time since death readily apparent. So with any half of that, hey'd be at 99% before the ME made formal ID with dental records or dna. That is enough for them to tell press off the record or on background. And police often trade info with the press, it is not so much loose lips as mutual interest. Crime reporters are in a position sometimes to help cops as well, so it is a trade.

This is so heartbreaking. I can't sleep now that I know she's finally been found. Poor Mollie, may she rest in peace. Let justice be swift and an arrest be confirmed at the upcoming PC. Her poor family must be going through hell right now, having to face the loss of such a special daughter and sister.

It is fine we just disagree, I think le did a bad job. However that dont matter right now. So I am moving on.

I want you to know you are NOT alone!!! I still am waiting for who made the initial assessment of Mollie's missing person case. I suspect if and when we learn this your opinion will have merit.

It is my hopes someone who does investigative journalism will take a very close look at Mollie's case - and maybe others in IA.

For some of us, we live in states which just do missing person cases different from the way this IA case was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01