Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the next question should be, where are the other bodies? If this is a usual experience for him, then where are the other people he's killed?
Good point, also from the wording it makes it sound as if he consciously blocked the memory. I know that he means he blacked out, but he kind of put his foot in his mouth. He must have done some research on the jodi Arias case while he was waiting to be caught.

4de7ad19-692e-484b-a0ed-94090005d661-0821_tibbetts_presserrwhite_00560.JPG

Family and friends huddle around Mollie Tibbetts' mother Laura Calderwood (center, in blue), including Tibbetts' brother, Jake Tibbetts (back left), as Iowa DCI announces murder charges Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2018, in the Mollie Tibbetts investigation. Tibbetts was last seen July 18, 2018, after going for a jog in Brooklyn, Iowa.

Photos: Investigators announce charges in Mollie Tibbetts case

This makes me FURIOUS!!! I'm so sorry Molly had to die.

Because of his age and the unrefined nature of his crime, I think it’s likely that this is his first murder. I’d be willing to bet that he didn’t start with murder though, and there may be some sexual assault history. He may not have been very mobile, so they may not have to look at a wide area in order to link any other crimes to him.
Makes me wonder if any previous assaults may have been committed on those vulnerable migrant workers. Preying on them would have been easier since they wouldn't likely report him.

I wonder, too, if maybe he had drugs in his system, which, depending on which kind, can make people more impulsive and risky in their behavior.

If he indeed has an anger problem (as he himself seems to have said) it would seem he would at least have a bit of domestic stuff on his record, although with illegals I’m not sure how much of a record they are allowed to have....?
Great point. He may not have a domestic violence history, but as we know, you don’t necessarily need a record in order to have knocked a woman around. I’m sure they’ll be looking at his past relationships, even if there aren’t any police reports. There is generally a build up to a crime like this, and it may come in many forms.

RIP, sweet Mollie. Peace and love to her family, friends and community.

I am absolutely horrified by some of the comments I saw here earlier today. My God. This is about Mollie, and nothing else.

This guy was a predator in the making. Crime of opportunity by a sexual deviant IMO. He had the opportunity and he acted on it. He follows only provocative looking women on Facebook and Instagram. Creepy, perverted, and voyeuristic.

His story doesn’t make sense. So he grabbed her and threw her in the trunk and then all of a sudden “came to” and realized she was in his trunk. So then he got her out of the trunk and drug her into the field? Doesn’t add up. Did he take her somewhere after he grabbed her and take her back later? Or why even put her in the trunk (DNA)? Why not just leave her in the field?

Crazy to think she was likely dead within a couple hours this whole time. So much for them speaking to everyone in the area early on. I wonder what the points of interest map was in regards to? Were any of them near the farm areas where he worked?

I wonder what prompted this video a month later? Sad to think the police likely had nothing this whole time. :(

I do think she was on the way to mom’s house which is what I was initially thinking.

“Rivera then panicked and he got mad and he 'blocked' his memory which is what he does when he gets very upset”

So, he’s acknowledged having black outs due to extreme anger previously. If I were an investigator, I’d be exploring what other things may have may have occurred as results of these “episodes” now that he opened the door.

The fact that he said this a couple times makes me really doubt this is his first serious crime. What else has he done after "blacking out?"

I hope they dig into his past in Mexico too, in addition to his 4-7 years in the area.

The scary thing is he would probably still be walking free without the video. This isn't the type of crime someone brags to friends about, I suspect he had never mentioned it and never would have. They probably would have eventually found the body but he's not in the system so even if they had DNA or prints he wouldn't have popped up.

I am thinking of Mollie and her loved ones this evening. My family knows the pain of losing a bright soul who was at a young age, and I know that this heartbreak will remain with her loved ones for the remainder of their years. My wish and hope for those who are grieving Mollie's bright soul and for all of those who have lost a loved one is that they are able to find the strength and willpower to celebrate their lost loved one and eventually find a sense of peace in themselves. I hope that they will have support during this grieving process--that they will never feel alone in their sorrow. I hope that--even in the darkest days--that the world grants even the smallest glimmer of love and beauty in the world to those whose hearts are mourning. Much love to all of you who have ever felt the pain of a loved one's death. May the days bring us all peace. . .

“Rivera then panicked and he got mad and he 'blocked' his memory which is what he does when he gets very upset”

So, he’s acknowledged having black outs due to extreme anger previously. If I were an investigator, I’d be exploring what other things may have may have occurred as results of these “episodes” now that he opened the door.

This jumped out at me too. If I were an investigator I'd immediately start looking at his past, past girlfriends, unsolved assaults in the area. If blacking out from anger is such a regular occurrence for you, what did you do the previous times it happened?

I am thinking of Mollie and her loved ones this evening. My family knows the pain of losing a bright soul who was at a young age, and I know that this heartbreak will remain with her loved ones for the remainder of their years. My wish and hope for those who are grieving Mollie's bright soul and for all of those who have lost a loved one is that they are able to find the strength and willpower to celebrate their lost loved one and eventually find a sense of peace in themselves. I hope that they will have support during this grieving process--that they will never feel alone in their sorrow. I hope that--even in the darkest days--that the world grants even the smallest glimmer of love and beauty in the world to those whose hearts are mourning. Much love to all of you who have ever felt the pain of a loved one's death. May the days bring us all peace. . .

So beautifully said. Thank you.

Just MOO- When he claims blacking out, etc., I believe that's a defense mechanism (or just straight up lie) to either protect himself from acknowledging that he did such a thing whether it's for the sake of his ego or for legal purposes. His true interactions with Mollie (and other young women on the street) may have involved more catcalling harassment than he has admitted to LE. This is a man who feels entitled to women. Women have all had the misfortune to encounter men like this while minding our own business out in public.

In the criminal complaint, the defendant says that "he noticed there was an ear piece from a headphone in his lap" after he "came to" at the intersection. Such detail and it doesn't make sense to me. If he put her in the trunk, how was there a headphone piece in his lap? I hope he keeps talking because I don't think the full horror of his actions have been revealed.

The scary thing is he would probably still be walking free without the video. This isn't the type of crime someone brags to friends about, I suspect he had never mentioned it and never would have. They probably would have eventually found the body but he's not in the system so even if they had DNA or prints he wouldn't have popped up.

Totally agree!!!! The fact they had video was almost a miracle. I think it would have been a cold case otherwise. They hadn’t found her body on their own, so likely it wouldn’t have turned up until after the winter snows, and even then if a farmer plowed or something....not much evidence left. I’m glad they can get some closure, although right now it must be hard, as they are probably reliving Mollie’s last hour in their minds, which is torturous. (I know in a way, because I lost my mom in a car accident right when I turned 21, and I used to try to reconstruct what must have happened in my mind, and it was torture as well.)

I did not check in all day, we had 2 people out on vacation at work and my day was hectic. My mom knew I was following this case and told me at 7pm tonight the news. I was shocked but shouldn't have been. It was exactly as many of us thought all along. She was taken by a stranger while in a desolate area of her jog.
I was surprised it was on 385. It makes my think DR was remembering a different day. I believe the neighbor on West Des Moines was remembering a different day too.
Knowing that they searched near WC and the Lincoln Wildlife Area is so sad because they were SO close. I am glad they didn't let the public search there though, considering they caught the murderer. It would have been SO traumatic to live with that.
They were right though (was it Dalton that said it?) an outsider was responsible. No one from her childhood or her tight knit community.
LE and the FBI did an amazing job.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the criminal complaint, the defendant says that "he noticed there was an ear piece from a headphone in his lap" after he "came to" at the intersection. Such detail and it doesn't make sense to me. If he put her in the trunk, how was there a headphone piece in his lap? I hope he keeps talking because I don't think the full horror of his actions have been revealed.

That’s probably one of the only things I believe about what he said, and I don’t think I want to know how it got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dorsa50