Found Deceased CO - Kevin Rudnicki, 20, hiker, Mount Herman, Pike National Forest, 3 Sep 2018

There is a Tweet from EPC Sheriff, time stamp 2 hrs ago.
Search continued for missing 20 year old Kevin Rudnick. FFL and drones provided an aerial search. Efforts continue through the evening until dark pending weather conditions. Thank you to the 80+ local citizens and volunteer horses for their help.
EPCSheriff on Twitter

We helped today with the search. We left there at around 6pm, and still no sign of Kevin.

EPC SAR has requested no civilian assistance tomorrow, as per their Facebook page. They say they will be searching in coordination with Kevin's family . They will let the community know if anything changes in the coming days. They said they had over 90 volunteers today.

Curious why they'd turn away volunteers, that seems counterproductive. There are so many willing to step up and help.
ETA link: El Paso County Search and Rescue

Curious why they'd turn away volunteers, that seems counterproductive. There are so many willing to step up and help.
Just speculation, but we had a lot of rain here tonight. Somebody was saying some of the roads and trails might be a bit more tricky than usual. Also, there were a ton of people there today, horses, dogs, name it. Maybe they feel they have an idea of where to look a bit more precisely, and feel they can do it better, being professionals, and able to look for very specific clues, etc. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
It could be because they want searchers that are trained and experienced in rough terrain. There are some areas that could be very dangerous for your average hiker, and for their safety, they decline their help.

Because that area is rough, even for experienced hikers. It rained yesterday, and the SAR team doesn’t want to have other distracting rescues of volunteers taking away from the search for Kevin.

No news today?

“Volunteers temporarily called off in search for missing hiker on Mount Herman” this is a link from The Gazette posted an hour ago. It explains a bit what’s going on today. Sorry I tried to post the link and only got the headlines. It is still early afternoon Mountain Time. Here’s hoping they find him. Soon!

“Volunteers temporarily called off in search for missing hiker on Mount Herman” this is a link from The Gazette posted an hour ago. It explains a bit what’s going on today. Sorry I tried to post the link and only got the headlines. It is still early afternoon Mountain Time. Here’s hoping they find him. Soon!

Thank you! Some snippets and link:
Search and rescue, in coordination with Kevin Rudnicki's family, are combing through specific areas Thursday and asked for the public to not be involved.

Jacqueline Kirby, spokeswoman with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, said she could not comment further on why or in what areas they would be looking. Volunteers may be reactivated in the coming days "depending on what today's search brings," she said.
Volunteers temporarily called off in search for missing hiker on Mount Herman

Surprised there's still nothing. Unfortunately I think it's at the point where there's not much chance of a happy ending, I just hope it was accidental and not another homicide on the trail.
The longer is goes, the more it makes me feel the same. It seems I’ve just been following so many missing hiker cases this summer. Anyway, he hasn’t just walked out on his own, they haven’t found any trace in 5 days, he hasn’t signaled for help... where else do we go with our thinking?

The longer is goes, the more it makes me feel the same. It seems I’ve just been following so many missing hiker cases this summer. Anyway, he hasn’t just walked out on his own, they haven’t found any trace in 5 days, he hasn’t signaled for help... where else do we go with our thinking?

Could he have been abducted like in the Mollie Tibbets case? A longshot, but it is possible.

Anything is possible of course. I admit I do have a case of the creepies since he hiked in the same area the cyclist was murdered a year ago.

I know, right? Mt. Herman is one of my favorite hikes because it's fairly short with a beautiful payoff at the summit. And there are other nice trails around there, too, but it looks like you shouldn't hike without a buddy.

Family asking for continued prayers:

Kevin Rudnicki’s mother, Melissa Reynolds, asked Thursday morning on Facebook that people “continue to pray for Kevin.”

“We had no luck today,” she posted on Facebook Thursday night. “Everyone is exhausted. Trying to regroup and figure out what to do next. We haven’t called anything off, we are leaving it to the pros at (El Paso County Search and Rescue). The areas of interest are just too dangerous. Thank you so much for your love and support. This community has been amazing. We are hopeful and are working on where to search next.”
Sep 6, 2018 Updated 5 hrs ago

Family of 20-year-old hiker who went missing on Mount Herman ask for continued prayers

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePoloBear
Back