Found Deceased CO - Kevin Rudnicki, 20, hiker, Mount Herman, Pike National Forest, 3 Sep 2018

Family asking for continued prayers:

Kevin Rudnicki’s mother, Melissa Reynolds, asked Thursday morning on Facebook that people “continue to pray for Kevin.”

“We had no luck today,” she posted on Facebook Thursday night. “Everyone is exhausted. Trying to regroup and figure out what to do next. We haven’t called anything off, we are leaving it to the pros at (El Paso County Search and Rescue). The areas of interest are just too dangerous. Thank you so much for your love and support. This community has been amazing. We are hopeful and are working on where to search next.”
Sep 6, 2018 Updated 5 hrs ago

Family of 20-year-old hiker who went missing on Mount Herman ask for continued prayers
In this same article there is a mention that he was seen by someone who actually knows him, a former middle school teacher, at 8:45am. This is helpful in determing which trail he was actually on, which direction he was heading, and of course, that he was actually there. Still hoping he’s found and is ok. Jmo

The lack of updates is concerning. On the facebook page of El Paso County Search and Rescue, someone posted a comment that said this morning they had driven by the trailhead and the place where the command post had been yesterday, and there was didn't appear to be anybody official there and no search efforts going on today. That is concerning.

Latest news article from the Colorado Springs Gazette:

Family of 20-year-old hiker who went missing on Mount Herman ask for continued prayers

In this same article there is a mention that he was seen by someone who actually knows him, a former middle school teacher, at 8:45am. This is helpful in determing which trail he was actually on, which direction he was heading, and of course, that he was actually there. Still hoping he’s found and is ok. Jmo
No updates that any of us have heard. There are many social trails, as well as the more well-known trails. I can't even imagine how difficult the search must be.

The lack of updates is concerning. On the facebook page of El Paso County Search and Rescue, someone posted a comment that said this morning they had driven by the trailhead and the place where the command post had been yesterday, and there was didn't appear to be anybody official there and no search efforts going on today. That is concerning.

It is concerning. Scrolling through the SAR feed, I am impressed by the many people offering their drones and/or their time to help search. The pic someone posted of an abandoned truck camper on Mt Herman Rd looked a little creepy, but SAR responded it was searched and cleared. People do seem to be keeping their eyes open.

No updates that any of us have heard. There are many social trails, as well as the more well-known trails. I can't even imagine how difficult the search must be.
Reading trail descriptions on the site AllTrails, hikers make it sound quite challenging. “Steep near the top, slippery on way down when dry, hard to navigate with many trails leading off in various directions, becomes a streambed when it rains.” And one person hiked it 4 days ago (post was from 4 days ago). Are there “missing” posters of Kevin to be found up there? Do other hikers know to be on the lookout?

Reading trail descriptions on the site AllTrails, hikers make it sound quite challenging. “Steep near the top, slippery on way down when dry, hard to navigate with many trails leading off in various directions, becomes a streambed when it rains.” And one person hiked it 4 days ago (post was from 4 days ago). Are there “missing” posters of Kevin to be found up there? Do other hikers know to be on the lookout?

Yes, they have put up posters on the trails. Kevin grew up in that area and should have been very familiar with the trail system.

Yes, they have put up posters on the trails. Kevin grew up in that area and should have been very familiar with the trail system.
Yeah I figured he was familiar. And I figured locals would know to be on the lookout. I guess what I mean in his case is that he could have wandered down (or up) any trail. Not such an easy search.

I drove there this morning at 10, and there was nothing. Not a vehicle in sight.

, and they

Daey34, yes, I heard others say the command center is no longer there? Maybe since they aren't allowing volunteers anymore? I don't know. At least the weather is supposed to be dry for now.

No that can’t be why. They didn’t allow volunteers yesterday, and the command center remained. SAR team needs a trailer. Not even that is there.

I had wondered if they moved, but I’m not sure yet.

No that can’t be why. They didn’t allow volunteers yesterday, and the command center remained. SAR team needs a trailer. Not even that is there.

I had wondered if they moved, but I’m not sure yet.

Just curious if you @Daey34 or @PrayingForMissing would know if they could move a command center onto one of the more remote Forest Service roads? I looked at so many maps when TW's disappearance began to unfold, and it only looks like (east-west) there's Mt Herman Rd as a primitive but primary road, and then there are multiple Forest Service Roads but they appear even narrower on the maps than Mt H Rd. Are the FS roads easily traveled by a larger SUV and/or trailer, or would it require something like a 4 wheeler/ATV?

I am sorry that I have to ask this question, but I wasn't around when the other hiker in that same area disappeared last year. Can someone tell me how long it took to find him?

I feel just horrible for his family right now. Such agony when it's your child missing, no matter how old they are!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back