Found Deceased CO - Kevin Rudnicki, 20, hiker, Mount Herman, Pike National Forest, 3 Sep 2018

I feel the same zecats, have been really pulling for him and praying he's found. I've been checking social media and news off an on today, but nothing so far. With all the people that have been offering to volunteer on the ECSAR page, even if no organized search was happening I'm inclined to think others have been out on those trails looking for him over the weekend.

ETA: Just found an update on Twitter:
740 KVOR‏ @740KVOR 6h6 hours ago

El Paso County Search and Rescue continues their search for 20 year old Kevin Rudnicki this morning. it has been a week since the hiker has been missing. Jackie Kirby tells KVOR News this morning the team is targeting specific areas.
740 KVOR (@740KVOR) | Twitter

The fact that this is the same area of TW's murder is giving me a really bad feeling about this. I am following a couple other missing hiker cases, and those seem (IMO) to be most likely that the person was hurt or turned around or fell, etc. and that is why they have not been found. But I worry there is something more nefarious going on here. Again just MOO but it seems odd to have a murder occur and then in the very same area almost exactly a year later another outdoorsperson goes missing.
yes, I don't think I would be hiking there without a bullet proof vest and a sidearm. maybe a helmet, too. Nobody is supposed to be shooting in that area, but the article I read says it happens anyway. Seems like they need to start enforcing the shooting rules. bikers and hikers shouldn't have to worry about being shot while hiking/biking.
Tim Watkins was shot to death in an area known for illegal activity

Is there any chance that Kevin ran away? I know that might sound silly, especially since he was seen by one person that he knew at the trail. Yet I am just wondering if there perhaps a chance he did and didn't tell anyone that he was leaving. I'd rather have that than the poor kid out there alone somewhere, at this point, he may no longer be with us.

Thoughts and prayers to Kevin and his family every day- hoping soon he is found ok and that his family gets answers, one way or the other. This is torture for loved ones and friends.

Is there any chance that Kevin ran away? I know that might sound silly, especially since he was seen by one person that he knew at the trail. Yet I am just wondering if there perhaps a chance he did and didn't tell anyone that he was leaving. I'd rather have that than the poor kid out there alone somewhere, at this point, he may no longer be with us.

Thoughts and prayers to Kevin and his family every day- hoping soon he is found ok and that his family gets answers, one way or the other. This is torture for loved ones and friends.

I saw this quote almost a week ago by his brother that made me wonder a little, but thought it best not to post it at the time because people sometimes say things when stressed that can be misinterpreted. But this is into day 9 and at this point it would be better to think he might've disappeared of his own free will rather than the alternatives.

"Among the hikers was Kevin's younger brother Andrew Rudnicki. He's been among the hikers from the beginning. He said, " It hasn't really dawned on me yet, so again I just I know the area and I'm just here to do my job."

There are hundreds of trails that someone can find in Pike National Forest, somewhere Rudnicki says someone can get lost if they wanted to. "There are a lot of places, a lot of gulleys and caves you can go into and the chance of someone finding you is very small."
Search for missing hiker near Mount Herman intensifies, family still hopeful

I think most of us around here have heard rumors. And many people are on edge after last year. But all we can do right now is pray and be respectful of Kevin's family's privacy, as well as keeping our eyes open for anything.
Rumours???

I think most of us around here have heard rumors. And many people are on edge after last year. But all we can do right now is pray and be respectful of Kevin's family's privacy, as well as keeping our eyes open for anything.
Rumours???

I hope this doesn't violate TOS, but I just saw the fb page of a very close family member, and they have not given up hope. Family is going to be meeting with SAR to try to map where they searched and where they didn't, and come up with a plan to get into those areas that they haven't looked.

I saw this quote almost a week ago by his brother that made me wonder a little, but thought it best not to post it at the time because people sometimes say things when stressed that can be misinterpreted. But this is into day 9 and at this point it would be better to think he might've disappeared of his own free will rather than the alternatives.

"Among the hikers was Kevin's younger brother Andrew Rudnicki. He's been among the hikers from the beginning. He said, " It hasn't really dawned on me yet, so again I just I know the area and I'm just here to do my job."

There are hundreds of trails that someone can find in Pike National Forest, somewhere Rudnicki says someone can get lost if they wanted to. "There are a lot of places, a lot of gulleys and caves you can go into and the chance of someone finding you is very small."
Search for missing hiker near Mount Herman intensifies, family still hopeful
Is it possible he went spelunking?

Is it possible he went spelunking?
I saw a photo of a map of the area on his Facebook page. Areas are marked as already searched, popular with other hikers, too rugged and dangerous, etc. There are quite a few caves (ice caves even) shown. Some are marked too dangerous to search. So yes to answer your question, he certainly could have. It’s been so long since any news about this, but from ready SM I learned he is still missing and some are still searching.

Curious why they'd turn away volunteers, that seems counterproductive.
I can think of two reasons:

- If they are trying to track the lost person, too many volunteers can lead confusing 'sign' for the trackers.

- If the area is dangerous, and not all volunteers truly know the area or are up to the task physically, there can be a need to "rescue a rescuer". This takes time and could endanger the rescuer and the rescuee.

seems like a lot of weirdness on Mt Herman. like ALOT. one small area turning into a kind of a Bermuda Triangle...

Mount Hernan seems to be the first wilderness area outside to Colorado Springs. As a result, it is very attractive as a getaway or hides out spot for a variety of people including increasing numbers of hikers. Bikers, target shooters (both responsible and irresponsible), and transient camps including the drugged and the drunk.

Then factor in that mountain biking / hiking used to be subculture or “cult” activities. That meant that there were just not a lot of people doing it. Likewise, people have always target shot, but in past generations most target shooters were hunters who target shot on occasion. Sexed up AR-15s were very expensive and rare during the years of the Brady Bill. This limited target shooting as a hobby to a small number of people.

My guess is that the early bikers and shooters knew the area and also knew and followed unwritten rules of conduct. The handful that did not were easier to tolerate. Transients like easy “supply bases” (usually a convenience store etc). Development has probably brought more of these businesses closer to the mountain and thus attracting more substance abusers who like the wilderness and being close to the city for a "big score".

Small numbers of people meant that people stayed out of each other’s way. Likewise, area ranchers did not have to contend with large numbers of recreational users be they target shooters or hikers. Today, the number of bikers and target shooters has exploded as both mountain bikes and sexy weapons are cheap and easy to obtain. More people means more irresponsible recreationalists, more potential confrontations and more likelihood of hikers suffering fatal falls, more unpredictable substance users etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back