Help with the Websleuths Frequently Asked Questions List

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you follow someone you can see when they are logged in (if they allow it, see below) and it makes it easier to find their new posts. Under your profile you will see a list of "people you follow" and you can click on that to find someone quickly. This is helpful if you recall someone started a thread you are looking for or if someone is a frequent thread starter in a section that interests you and you want to see their new threads. Or maybe you always enjoy reading the opinion of someone on a case-- we have verified attorneys and other professionals that post, for example, and I always look forward to reading their legal opinions -- you can find their posts through their profile. Following just makes it faster to find your favorite posters profiles. You can also click on "Your News Feed" under your profile name and see all the actions taken recently by the people you are following. This is sort of like following people on twitter or facebook where you see everything your friends do.

To see who is following you hover over your user name on the top orange bar. A drop down box will appear with the option next to you avatar that says "your profile page". Click on "your profile page". Followers and people you are following are listed in a column on the left.

If you don't want people to know when you are logged in you can edit that in your user privacy settings. If you don't want people to see what page you are viewing you can also change that in privacy setting. If you don't want to interact with someone or you find them annoying you can ignore them and you won't see their posts (unless you choose to). The only exception is that you cannot ignore the mods/admin. You can also turn off private messaging so that only the mods or only "people you follow" can message you. I have "start conversations" unchecked which means only the mods/admin can message me privately. If you choose to only allow a few people to message you then you can choose "people you follow". Following people allows you to control who contacts you. I don't use the "conversations" but my understanding is that someone cannot message you simply because they follow you. You have to follow them back or have
"all members" selected in your privacy settings.

Bottom line is you control who talks to you here. Everything you post is public (and viewable to people who are not even WS members) so what is the big deal if someone is following you? Consider it a compliment that they want to see your posts. JMO.

Thanks for all of that. It is not a compliment. Trust me. Lol. It does sound better than 'stay off the internet' though.

I have come across each of these terms on WS and I’m confused as to what each means and how they are different from other terms?

New Posts, Recent Posts, New Threads, Recent Threads, Latest Replies, History, Watched Threads, Watched Forums, Forums, Your News Feed, Recent Activity, New Profile Posts, Alerts, Inbox, Likes You’ve Received, Your Content, Conversations, Messages, Postings

Thanks for all of that. It is not a compliment. Trust me. Lol. It does sound better than 'stay off the internet' though.

FWIW, I'm sorry if someone is bothering you Matou. I have been cyberstalked before and that is why I don't participate in social media and carefully control who can talk to me on websites like this one. I never use the same username on different websites and try not to give out identifying personal info on forums. The alternative IS to just stay off line and never post. If you feel like someone is "following" you here for malicious purposes AND they are doing other things too, I hope you have made someone aware of the particular poster you are concerned about and what they are doing/saying to you-- both the mods here and someone in your real life should be informed if you feel you are being stalked. JMO.

Again, thanks everyone for your help. Keep your thoughts and FAQ suggestions coming. I'm working on our FAQ's on my end but I can't do it without you.

Tricia

If someone wants to follow you then they can. The "Following" option can't be used to cyberbully or harass anyone. It can't be used in this manner because nothing happens when someone follows you other than they read your public posts which they can read anyway.

If someone harasses you when you are on Facebook or other places you cannot bring that drama to Websleuths. This is one of the few things that really upset me about running a discussion forum. Please do not think Websleuths will step in and fix your issues with someone else on another part of the Internet. We are here to discuss true crime. Not people who have wars with each other on other parts of the Internet.

If it is bad enough please contact the authorities.

Simply put Websleuths cannot protect you from the drama that happens to you on other sites.

Now, if someone is bothering you on Websleuths, someone is using Websleuths to harass you, well that is a whole other story. We will not hesitate to step in and help if someone is sending you messages or is trying to be cryptic in their postings to you. Websleuths management will not tolerate anyone harassing a member on our site. You want to see me go from nice to growing fangs in my mouth and hair on my hands furious within a second show me someone who using Websleuths to actually harass you.

Choosing to "follow" a poster is not harassment. You can put that person on "ignore" and forget about them. Because someone you don't like belongs to Websleuths and you belong to Websleuths too doesn't mean you are being harassed on Websleuths. Again, what happens off of Websleuths is something we simply cannot control.

Let's please get back to discussing our FAQ. That is the topic here. Websleuths and our FAQ list.

Thank you,
Tricia

Last edited:
QUESTION: How do I link to a specific post?

ANSWER: To link to a specific post, click the post number and a little window will pop up with the url to copy. In order for me to see post numbers on my phone, I have to flip my phone into "landscape" mode (sideways).

Choosing to "follow" a poster is not harassment. You can put that person on "ignore" and forget about them. Because someone you don't like belongs to Websleuths and you belong to Websleuths too doesn't mean you are being harassed on Websleuths. Again, what happens off of Websleuths is something we simply cannot control
How do I "ignore" a member whose profile is set as private?

Okay I'll start with one I've answered a couple times recently.

QUESTION: How do I change my email settings? I don't want an email every time someone posts in a conversation, for example.

ANSWER:
Go to the upper right corner and click your user name.
A little window will pop up.
In that window, find "contact details" and click that.
That will take you to a page to adjust your email settings. Make sure to save your changed settings.

How do I get that pop up window? I don't see any pop up window other than one that says =profile posts/Recent activity/Postings/Information

None of those take me to 'CONTACT DETAILS' ---- i need to turn off the email notifications. my email is flooded because i am in a crowded conversation and the notifications are piling up

How do I get that pop up window? I don't see any pop up window other than one that says =profile posts/Recent activity/Postings/Information

None of those take me to 'CONTACT DETAILS' ---- i need to turn off the email notifications. my email is flooded because i am in a crowded conversation and the notifications are piling up
I am using a PC, not a phone if that makes a difference. On the top right of any page on a thread I have a "watch thread" or "unwatch thread".
Also, it may default here that if you reply to thread it automatically sets you to "watch thread".

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-14_13-21-23.png
    upload_2018-9-14_13-21-23.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 8

Thank you, Katy. @Tricia let's remember to differentiate between phone and desktop directions when the real FAQ is made, k? I didn't realize as i only have a phone. Again, thank you, @katydid23!

Thank you, Katy. @Tricia let's remember to differentiate between phone and desktop directions when the real FAQ is made, k? I didn't realize as i only have a phone. Again, thank you, @katydid23!

Oh, ok, thanks. I am on a lap top and I don't get a pop up window.

in our old system, I used to go to settings, which was in the top right corner.

I am using a PC, not a phone if that makes a difference. On the top right of any page on a thread I have a "watch thread" or "unwatch thread".
Also, it may default here that if you reply to thread it automatically sets you to "watch thread".

but I don't think it matters if it is a watched thread or not? I want to change the email notifications for 'conversations.' I get an email overtime someone posts in a conversation group of 19 people. ugh

somewhere there is 'settings' button. Anyone know where settings specifications are?

but I don't think it matters if it is a watched thread or not? I want to change the email notifications for 'conversations.' I get an email overtime someone posts in a conversation group of 19 people. ugh

somewhere there is 'settings' button. Anyone know where settings specifications are?
You go to your Privacy settings, then click on the link outlined below, then deactivate e-mail notification option for conversations.

50B8E0E8-2A00-4F23-B089-BC5CA3151D7D.jpeg 39583826-6527-4866-9603-341A8836F9B4.jpeg

Katy, have you tried clicking on your name on the right side of the orange bar near the top of the screen to the left of “inbox” and “alerts”? On my iPad that drops down a box with all sorts of options. Click on “contact details” and you will have the choice to uncheck the box sending you emails for conversation replies. It drove me nuts until I did that. I hope this helps.

How do you delete a reply before it is posted?

1. Remove the text in the reply box. The method for doing this will vary depending on your device, but I just highlight the text and hit delete which removes it.

2. Click the icon I've circled in the image and select Delete Draft.

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 10.09.52 AM.png

How do you delete a reply before it is posted?

1. Remove the text in the reply box. The method for doing this will vary depending on your device, but I just highlight the text and hit delete which removes it.

2. Click the icon I've circled in the image and select Delete Draft.

View attachment 147378

I think you have solved biggest dilema on WS - bravo :). Maybe you might post that in the other thread (welcome to WS) too so everyone there can see it too. That was one of the most frequently asked question by everyone - request for delete button. Thank you.

(I do believe this would/will work also when hitting edit button of the post and then do what you described and it will work as delete of total post)

I think you have solved biggest dilema on WS - bravo :). Maybe you might post that in the other thread (welcome to WS) too so everyone there can see it too. That was one of the most frequently asked question by everyone - request for delete button. Thank you.

(I do believe this would/will work also when hitting edit button of the post and then do what you described and it will work as delete of total post)

I believe it was posted in that thread somewhere. Great thought on using the edit button on a completed post. After I post this, I'll do another complete post and try it:)

Very good suggestion. I am working on it this week. Hopefully will have it done over the weekend but please keep in mind many times I am interrupted and have to deal with something more pressing. All the dates I give that something will be done are subject to what happens in the meantime.
Thank you
Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads