Australia - Toyah Cordingley, 24, body found on beach, 22 October 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they aren't, but Indie seems to have a strap around her muzzle in pics of her on the beach. Wonder if this is because she's such a large dog, I don't know the rules in Qld for dangerous dogs.

I used to think that was a muzzle but it’s used for the control of the dog. Some dogs are pullers and this type of lead always brings the dog’s head and line-of-sight back to it’s handler and a collar can damage a puller’s throat.
I’m no expert but I asked a gent about it & that’s what he told me it was for, mainly control of a large dog.

It doesn't look that restrictive to me. Indie seems like such a calm dog I don't know if she would be that protective. I know mine would eat you if you come into my house uninvited, but out on a walk she's everyone's friend. o_O

I had a rescue dog and walked her using a head collar to train her to stop pulling:

Dog Training: Pros and Cons of Using a Dog Halti

Maybe Toyah was using something like that.

ETA: Snap tgy! :D

Its bad enough losing a child but to lose them in the manner like Toyah and then be the one to find her, is beyond words. :(
Looking at Troys FB you can tell he was VERY close to Toyah with the many beautiful and silly photos they took together. and his slight obsession with Batman haha

Just a little friendly advice @Disturbed. Under TOS we are not allowed to sleuth family, so bringing pic's from their account could get you into trouble.

I used to think that was a muzzle but it’s used for the control of the dog. Some dogs are pullers and this type of lead always brings the dog’s head and line-of-sight back to it’s handler and a collar can damage a puller’s throat.
I’m no expert but I asked a gent about it & that’s what he told me it was for, mainly control of a large dog.

Are you saying that the dog was wearing a muzzle collar on the beach when she died? Big dogs usually scare everyone including predators, but with a muzzle collar they are helpless.

Are you saying that the dog was wearing a muzzle collar on the beach when she died? Big dogs usually scare everyone including predators, but with a muzzle collar they are helpless.

Those are called gentle leaders and not a muzzle.
They can drink, play ball and bite.

gentle Leader

gentleleaderpwording.jpg

First of all, the Gentle Leader® Headcollar is NOT a muzzle. When fitted properly, your dog is free to open his mouth to eat, drink, pant, fetch, bark and even bite - except when you close his mouth by pulling on the lead.

The Gentle Leader® Headcollar features two soft nylon straps - the collar portion fits high at the top of the neck, and the nose loop fits loosely and comfortably across the base of the muzzle. Each strap has a distinct and important effect

The Nose loop:
The Gentle Leader's patented 'Nose Strap' applies gentle pressure in the same way a dog's pack leader would grasp a sub-ordinates muzzle. Your dog learns in his own language that you are the leader.
gentleleaderdogcircle.jpg

The Neckstrap:
Puppies will melt in relaxation when their mother picks them up at the back of the neck. Gentle Leader uses this pressure point to work with your dog's natural relaxation instinct. With this gentle pressure at the back of the neck the dog pulls backward not forward which corrects lead-pulling forever

Thanks for the information about the straps - it does make you wonder whether anyone would have heard barking given there have been reports of others in the area at the same time? Maybe no one heard the barking... I know if it was my dog and someone I didn't know came close to me, she would be barking like crazy!

She only doesn't make a fuss when she is used to the person or someone has befriended her (like another dog owner walking at the park). Makes you wonder if someone would stop to pat/play with the dog as a ruse to allow the dog to build trust before the attack. Awful.

Thanks for the information about the straps - it does make you wonder whether anyone would have heard barking given there have been reports of others in the area at the same time? Maybe no one heard the barking... I know if it was my dog and someone I didn't know came close to me, she would be barking like crazy!

She only doesn't make a fuss when she is used to the person or someone has befriended her (like another dog owner walking at the park). Makes you wonder if someone would stop to pat/play with the dog as a ruse to allow the dog to build trust before the attack. Awful.

If my dog had a strap over the nose, she would be disable.d.

Highly possible that the murderer was a regular walker there and that’s why the cops are testing neighbours for DNA

If there was a reasonable expectation that the dog would be found before he was left too long w/o water and food, then perhaps the dog was tied to prevent him from wandering off and getting lost.

This might be the case if the murderer was someone who was very familiar with the dog, and who knew that he wouldn't be able to take the dog back with him.

Last edited:
The problem with this is most people who fly into Cairns venture up that highway to see the beauty of Port Douglas and beyond to the Daintree. Dammit it could be tourist who has already flown out.
I agree, it is a very transient community, however to be that confident in the area to be so sure it was 'safe' enough to commit such a crime indicates to me they/him were/was familiar with the area. Or the alternative being it was a random tourist, but I don't believe that. In my opinion, the perp either knew her or was a regular at Wangetti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member