CA - Multiple casualties after 'active shooter' opens fire, Thousand Oaks, 08 Nov 2018

A good definition IMO:
A psychoactive drug, psychopharmaceutical, or psychotropic is a chemical substance that changes brain function and results in alterations in perception, mood, consciousness, cognition, or behavior.
Psychoactive drug - Wikipedia

The classes (types) of psychotropic medications are:
  • Stimulants.
  • Antidepressants.
  • Antipsychotics.
  • Mood stabilizers.
  • Antianxiety agents.
DFPS - Classes Of Psychotropic Medications - Psychotropic Medication

While other medications meant to treat specific non-psychiatric medical conditions may affect you emotionally, they aren't classified as a psychotropic medication.

Are they investigating if his mother enabled him to make the smoke bombs and plan this massacre. He lived with her, I find it hard to believe he kept this all quiet. Especially knowing neighbors felt he was breaking down.

Are they investigating if his mother enabled him to make the smoke bombs and plan this massacre. He lived with her, I find it hard to believe he kept this all quiet. Especially knowing neighbors felt he was breaking down.

I can only imagine the life of his mother-- living with a man who neighbors and a former roommate said was mean and violent. It is so hard to get a person put on a 72 hour hold or even taken in for that matter. We have got to figure out how to help people with mental illness while keeping them and others safe.

The VA is failing veterans, yet again. No surprise here. I have other ideas about this "epidemic" of mass shootings, but my opinion might be unpopular. I have been reviewing several massacres since 2008. They are becoming increasingly more frequent, and seemingly random, but they are not. There is a common thread, aside from mental health, guns...and I believe that they will continue to escalate.

The VA is failing veterans, yet again. No surprise here. I have other ideas about this "epidemic" of mass shootings, but my opinion might be unpopular. I have been reviewing several massacres since 2008. They are becoming increasingly more frequent, and seemingly random, but they are not. There is a common thread, aside from mental health, guns...and I believe that they will continue to escalate.
What do you see as the common thread? I hope people will be open to at least hearing an idea, even if they don't agree with it. But I also understand if you don't want to share - it can be tough on these threads. It's a hard topic for all of us, imo.

jmo

Thousand Oaks to Hold Vigil at 6 P.M. Thursday for 12 Killed in Borderline Shooting

Thousand Oaks to Hold Vigil at 6 P.M. Thursday for 12 Killed in Borderline Shooting

The city of Thousand Oaks is asking residents to gather as a community for a vigil Thursday night in honor of the 12 people killed when a gunman opened fire in a bar where many local college students were at a weekly country music night.

The vigil will take place at 6 p.m. at the 1,800-seat Fred Kavli Theatre for the Performing Arts, part of the Civic Arts Plaza next to City Hall, at 2100 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd.

ETA: Not sure why my font came out so big. Sorry

And if the residents of this community aren't already dealing with enough..............

Ventura County brush fires: Homes go up in flames in Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks area

Two brush fires exploded in the hills in Ventura County Thursday afternoon, triggering the closure of the 101 Freeway as firefighters rushed to get the flames under control.

The larger fire was burning in the Santa Rosa Valley east of Camarillo, west of Simi Valley near Newbury Park and Thousand Oaks, mere miles from the scene of a deadly mass shooting that claimed 12 lives Wednesday night.

Ventura County fire authorities estimated the size of the blaze at 8,000 to 10,000 acres. Structures could be seen burning from the air as a line of flames closed in on a large residential area near Old Conejo Road.

I've read this is also making it very difficult for people to get to this evenings vigil for the victims.

Here’s how to donate blood and support victims of the Thousand Oaks shooting

• The Rotary Club of Westlake Village, a certified charity on , is accepting donations to support victims.

• The Ventura County Community Foundation, in coordination with the city of Thousand Oaks, California Community Foundation and others, has set up a victim relief and recovery fund.

This post will be updated as more information becomes available. If you have any resources to contribute to the list, please contact Alexa Díaz at alexa.diaz@latimes.com.

I am interested to hear your ideas; I tend to have unpopular ones as well.

Bold: I agree. How long until we see two in the same day?

Aside from being male, the second most common denominator amongst mass shooters seems, to me, to be a history of domestic violence and/or violence against women. Not all target women but they almost all have it in their history regardless.

I live about 20 miles from Borderline and have been there years ago. My husband used to live and work by it and has many friends there. We are both shaken and upset. Thousand Oaks has always felt very safe - safer than Los Angeles that’s for sure - and now it seems nowhere is safe. On top of Malibu which I now refuse to drive to for any reason lest a stray bullet hit me. I do wonder if there is a connection between this shooter and the Malibu shootings, as has been speculated in that thread.

Just horrific.

Do reliable statistics exist for veterans with PTSD committing mass murder? I have been wondering why we didn't seem to see/hear/read about this specific type of violence (mass killing) by PTSD vets of previous wars (WWII, Korea,Vietnam). Did it occur and I'm oblivious?? Was it not reported?? PTSD isn't new, and veterans with PTSD have committed violent acts throughout the years... suicide, murder, etc. It certainly seems (imo) mass killing of innocents by veterans has been escalating, and I'm curious and puzzled over the "why" factor/s. I could be totally wrong but I'm not afraid to post my query.

ETA: Maybe the number of veterans with ptsd committing mass murder is proportionate to the number of mass killings committed by the general population (non-veterans)? Maybe the seeming escalation is "balanced" overall??

Last edited:
Stay safe. I have close friends who live out by Rocketdyne but thank God its moving away from my town of Simi....only my husbands former employer is in Cam Springs and I have close friends in Agoura and Westlake. .all i can do is pray....and keep refreshing my FB groups and VCscanner (now THAT guy is a hero).
I hope you are ok

Thousand Oaks Gunman’s High School Coach Speaks About Sexual Assault

NEWBURY PARK (CBSLA) — The Thousand Oaks shooter’s high school track coach says that he assaulted her.

“I turned on the news and I was watching it and when they said his name my jaw just dropped,” said Dominique Colell.

This one caught my attention.

And although she never would have predicted this, Colell says she doesn’t believe this is just a case of PTSD. She says Long had issues long before he was ever a Marine.

“There are hundreds of thousands of people with PTSD,” said Colell. “They don’t go around shooting people. This kid was mentally disturbed in high school. There were signs and the administration knew it.”

Ian Hill assaulted Dominique Colell. This suggests that Hill could be a bully.

Ian Long: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Interesting to note that Ian Long and Stephen Paddock both went to to California State University, Northridge.

Calif. shooter was troubled and angry ex-Marine who wrote 'death' as survey answer in high school baseball guide - NY Daily News

This is another article, where people who knew him in high school, thought he had problems before going into the marines. This article has some insights, from his baseball coach, while an article posted earlier was about how he assaulted his track coach.

Also, from this article, Ian used to go to the Borderline bar, occasionally, with a former roommate. This roommate said he practiced dancing alone in his garage. Could he have been practicing dancing to impress someone who went to or worked at the bar? Could he have become angry if someone there did not react favorably to him?

More interesting insights from neighbors:

MacLeod recalled hearing Long curse in his backyard and throw tools. He said the shooter moved in with mom as a troubled teen, fought with her then and came back from Afghanistan even angrier.

“When he came back he was a lot worse. It got turbo-charged,” MacLeod said. “The duration of the arguments was a lot longer.

He was not always a loner.

From article:

Military officials and court records confirmed Long enlisted in the Marines at 18 and got married as a 19-year-old in Honolulu in June 2009.

Long was honorably discharged with the rank of corporal in 2013, the Pentagon said.

His marriage fell apart during his service term. He and his wife separated in June 2011, while he was serving a seven-month tour in Afghanistan.

The couple cited irreconcilable differences in divorce papers filed in May 2013, two months after Long left the Marines.

Last edited:
Aside from being male, the second most common denominator amongst mass shooters seems, to me, to be a history of domestic violence and/or violence against women. Not all target women but they almost all have it in their history regardless.

I live about 20 miles from Borderline and have been there years ago. My husband used to live and work by it and has many friends there. We are both shaken and upset. Thousand Oaks has always felt very safe - safer than Los Angeles that’s for sure - and now it seems nowhere is safe. On top of Malibu which I now refuse to drive to for any reason lest a stray bullet hit me. I do wonder if there is a connection between this shooter and the Malibu shootings, as has been speculated in that thread.

Just horrific.

Was wondering the same thing about the Malibu shooter. IIRC, they think they caught the Malibu shooter, but they seem very similar in personality and low social IQ.

Gunman arrested near Malibu park where camper was killed while with daughters

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhoule
Back