Resolved OH - Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, 43, Plymouth, 1945

So do u think its possible a serial killer or something different

So do u think its possible a serial killer or something different
Yes, there could’ve been a serial killer and I don’t mean to be disrespectful In any way but Mary as well as these other women may have fallen victim to a killer. I submitted Lola Celli to namus. I will probably submit Bertha Newell but I need an investigating agency.

I will line up pictures of the missing women just to show the similarities:

upload_2018-12-6_21-48-24.jpegupload_2018-12-6_21-49-10.jpegupload_2018-12-6_21-50-9.jpegupload_2018-12-6_21-50-37.jpegupload_2018-12-6_21-51-6.jpeg

They all disappeared in the same state and they disappeared in the same time periods. Ruth however disappeared about 8 years before Mary and long before the other women. It seems that foul play is suspected in all of these cases.

They all disappeared in the same state and they disappeared in the same time periods. Ruth however disappeared about 8 years before Mary and long before the other women. It seems that foul play is suspected in all of these cases.

@Mysteries1974 The possibility of a serial killer has some weight to it. But the one-off is Ruth Baumgardner because of the 8 year gap between her and Ms. Crofts' disappearances ( I still have a hunch that her soon to be ex-husband was involved, somehow). But, the inter-war period could explain the 8 year gap because the individual was overseas for the war, was in prison or an institution.

I also took a look at the pictures you posted, and the only similarity I can see is the short hair styles the victims had. I compared the ages, and the age range is too far apart to make a connection on that end. I have a gut feeling, aside from Mary's disappearance, that these ladies were victims of opportunity, and the unsub had a stalking ground outlined in this updated map. The posted map shows the location of Mary Croft's job and last seen location (A), and the location of her residence (F). The map also includes the Granview Heights area of Columbus, where Ms. Celli was last seen:

Attachments

• pattern2.PNG
    pattern2.PNG
    491.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
@Mysteries1974 The possibility of a serial killer has some weight to it. But the one-off is Ruth Baumgardner because of the 8 year gap between her and Ms. Crofts' disappearances ( I still have a hunch that her soon to be ex-husband was involved, somehow). But, the inter-war period could explain the 8 year gap because the individual was overseas for the war, was in prison or an institution.

I also took a look at the pictures you posted, and the only similarity I can see is the short hair styles the victims had. I compared the ages, and the age range is too far apart to make a connection on that end. I have a gut feeling, aside from Mary's disappearance, that these ladies were victims of opportunity, and the unsub had a stalking ground outlined in this updated map. The posted map shows the location of Mary Croft's job and last seen location (A), and the location of her residence (F). The map also includes the Granview Heights area of Columbus, where Ms. Celli was last seen:
Lola, Mary, and Bertha have the same hair color which was brown. Beverly and Ruth have the same hair color which was blonde. I strongly believe that cases are connected but we need to get law enforcements ruling on it.

The sad facts are that Beverlys case is 67 years old, Ruth Baumgardners case is no longer handled by law enforcement, Bertha Newell’s case is also not Handeled by law enforcement, Lola’s case is 72 years old. If we submit the tip then maybe they will consider reopening the Baumgardner case and Newell case.

@Mysteries1974 I just looked up Bertha Newell, but used the name Bertha Tidd and a result came up for a Bertha Tidd in Taunton Mass., aged 106. Also a previous address came up for California.

Got confused about the birthdays for each of the victims, Bertha was born in 1907, not 1911 like another victim listed here. A tad bit interesting though.

Last edited:
Yes I think their is a serial killer involved
While I have the gut feeling that one person is probably responsible for these disappearances, I think it might be a little early to conclude that a serial killer was involved. To coincide with these disappearances, one would need known murder victims that fit the time frame, area, physical and financial similarities and other patterns for that to be established. But I must admit: The first thing that slapped me in the head was "serial killer, totally", when I first read about these ladies.

On a side note, while Ms. Newell's disappearance points to her just simply disappearing - after reading about her mental health history - we can't entirely rule out foul play, either.

I feel these cases are worth looking at with intensity, though, regardless of their age. I just feel for the families, especially the OP of this thread.

While I have the gut feeling that one person is probably responsible for these disappearances, I think it might be a little early to conclude that a serial killer was involved. To coincide with these disappearances, one would need known murder victims that fit the time frame, area, physical and financial similarities and other patterns for that to be established. But I must admit: The first thing that slapped me in the head was "serial killer, totally", when I first read about these ladies.

On a side note, while Ms. Newell's disappearance points to her just simply disappearing - after reading about her mental health history - we can't entirely rule out foul play, either.

I feel these cases are worth looking at with intensity, though, regardless of their age. I just feel for the families, especially the OP of this thread.
I have the email for the investigator assigned to Mary’s case I can send him this info tomorrow

Didn't mean to repost that, my apologies. Any help is appreciated. We continue to hit dead ends. I just want to know what happened to my grandmother. If she started a new life or fell victim to foul play.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back