Resolved OH - Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, 43, Plymouth, 1945

A "civilian sleuth" as Turner calls her had been following the case. In November of 2023, the woman came across the name "Percy L. Sebren." When Vangilder was promoted to high-lift fork operator, she took the position from Sebren and likely received training from him.

"This name was among dozens of others located throughout Mary Jane's military file, but it would be this one alone that would prove crucial," Turner said.

...and she has been added to Doe Network's 2024 list of closed cases.

Mary Jane Vangilder (3950DFOH) missing since March 8, 1945. She was found to have left voluntarily and died from natural causes.

I feel for the kids from her first marriage.

Oh wow! I really expected Mary Jane to have died shortly after her disappearance, but I'm so glad I was wrong!

Find a Grave shows some photos of Mary Jane later in her life.
Picture of
vangilder_mary2.jpg

Rest in peace Mary Jane Vanglider Sebren (1911 - 1990)

A "civilian sleuth" as Turner calls her had been following the case. In November of 2023, the woman came across the name "Percy L. Sebren." When Vangilder was promoted to high-lift fork operator, she took the position from Sebren and likely received training from him.

"This name was among dozens of others located throughout Mary Jane's military file, but it would be this one alone that would prove crucial," Turner said.
Did the civilian sleuth want to remain anonymous?

“I was able to locate Mary Jane’s military service file and letters that Anna Mae (eldest daughter) wrote in the 1940s and 1950s to the FBI,” Turner said.

“This was a huge lead that would be pivotal to the investigation.”

After receiving Vangilder’s military file, Turner said he published the document online.

Turner said a “civilian sleuth,” who wished to remain anonymous, reviewed the military file with a “fine-tooth comb” and directed him to page 17 of the document.

“When Mary Jane was promoted to high lift fork operator, she took the position from Mr. (Percy) Sebren and he likely trained her,” he said.

“This name was among the dozens of others located throughout Mary Jane’s military file, but it would be this one alone that would prove crucial.”

Wow. That is wild.
I am happy that the family members have found some answers but I guess the answers hurt and open up more questions.
Nevertheless the bitter feeling for both, her family from the first marriage and the family from the second, this is the perfect outcome of decades of dedicated family members, sleuths and LE professionals working together and never giving up on Mary.

By Sara Goldenberg Apr. 2, 2024
'CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - In small towns, police officers wear a lot of hats, trying to keep you and your family safe.

One city in Richland County has found the payoff is big to have a detective on the team, even during staffing challenges and budget crunches.

Just over a month ago, Detective Adam Turner with Shelby Police solved one of Ohio’s oldest missing persons mysteries, the case of Mary Jane Vangilder.

During a news conference, the detective revealed that Vangilder, who was in her 30s when she went missing in 1945, left Ohio to start a new life and a new family.'
Apr 2, 2024 CLEVELAND
Cold case solve puts spotlight on the need for detectives in small towns

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member