Resolved OH - Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, 43, Plymouth, 1945

Mary Jane Croft VanGilder missing persons investigation: Det Turner has been working on the case of a person missing from Shelby in 1945. He continues to work on this case, which has led to national attention, as well as the exhumation of a Jane Doe in Preble County. DNA testing is ongoing, funded entirely through crowdsourcing methods.

In addition, Turner is a member of the FBI Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, represents the department’s investigations with Richland County Children’s Services, and assists other agencies on a multitude of cases.

Press conference to be held November 17th.

In November, officials will conduct a press conference to announce the results of DNA testing on the remains that were exhumed in 2019 to compare with the missing person case of Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, who vanished from Shelby in 1945.

The release announcing the Nov. 17 press conference does not give the identity of the person or say if it is certain the remains belong to VanGilder.

Press conference to be held November 17th.

In November, officials will conduct a press conference to announce the results of DNA testing on the remains that were exhumed in 2019 to compare with the missing person case of Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, who vanished from Shelby in 1945.

The release announcing the Nov. 17 press conference does not give the identity of the person or say if it is certain the remains belong to VanGilder.

Does anyone find it creepy that the press conference will be held only 2 days before Mary's birthday?

From Moxxy Forensic Investigation's FB page:

A press conference is scheduled for Monday, February 12, 2024 at 10:00am EST. A live feed will be available here on our Facebook Page.

I hope they've located her, and haven't just decided the case is unsolvable.
Adam Turner would never allow that to happen. Hes been dedicated to this case since Mary was officially reported missing. I’ve heard it was resolved though. I’m assuming they either located her or evidence that she created a new life and passed away under a different name

Detective Turner posted on Facebook yesterday that the case HAS been solved. The press conference will be broadcast live on various Facebook pages, and (among other sources) on YouTube via the Mysterious WV channel.
He said he'd been sitting on the ID for three months!

What struck me was how many Jane Does they went through looking for her, and how many reopened investigations (and identifications!) came out of Detective Turner's efforts. I counted five identifications.
My thoughts exactly and there should be more as I heard Adam say at least two more were in ongoing DNA testing with DDP.

I am wondering if any of Mary Jane’s children or grandchildren from both 1st and 2nd families submitted DNA for family tree building with Ancestry or 23andMe. If so, the biological link to a shared mother/grandmother would have certainly been known. Furthermore, confirming proof that Mary Jane was still living for many years after she was determined to be missing.

Also wondering how she came about using a different SSN than the one originally issued to her.

Quite a story! Awesome work by all involved. What determination. Very glad to hear that her family finally has closure.

I think people forget just how difficult it was for a woman to divorce her husband back then and still keep her kids. This went doubly so for domestic abuse victims; women could be denied a divorce if the violence wasn't severe enough.

It was easier to just vanish and start a new life, too, back then. The vast majority of abusive husbands ( and some that had other issues) who have a wife that disappears are responsible for the disappearance, but that is not always true, and perhaps less so back when it was easier to change names or SS numbers and start a new life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back