Resolved OH - Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, 43, Plymouth, 1945

The 1950 census is being released. If Mary Jane moved to some other place it might be easier to search now...

1950 census release: Data revealed April 1 after 72-year wait

This is off-topic but an interesting historical note:

"1950 was also the first year computers were used during the census. Following that census, the bureau conducted its first post-enumeration survey to check its work for accuracy."
Since she had cut off contact with her family, I doubt she would have used the name "Mary Jane VanGilder" in the Census. Anyone can give a BS name in the census. My dad is listed as "Jenny", a girl in the 1930 Census. (Census worker couldn't understand their accented English) LOL
My great grandmother's name was "Gulbahar". She got a lot of strange looks over that and she just would say, "Mary", like even though it wasn't her name. So in every census she was "Mary".

Since she had cut off contact with her family, I doubt she would have used the name "Mary Jane VanGilder" in the Census. Anyone can give a BS name in the census. My dad is listed as "Jenny", a girl in the 1930 Census. (Census worker couldn't understand their accented English) LOL
My great grandmother's name was "Gulbahar". She got a lot of strange looks over that and she just would say, "Mary", like even though it wasn't her name. So in every census she was "Mary".
I doubt whether she was alive past 1945, but if she was, then she could have reverted to her maiden name.

I suspect that Jane Does from that era were not particularly well documented, but the finding of a Jane Doe would have merited a mention in a local newspaper, I would think. It would be an onerous task, but I suggest checking all Ohio newspapers day by day, page by page for any Jane Doe references. I would begin on February 15th, since her suppose last date of contact was February 14th, but if nothing turns up in February or March, then I would start working backward as well.

It's possible that she wasn't the one who withdrew the divorce petition; it's entirely possible that she was already dead and that someone forged her name or even impersonated her.

I doubt whether she was alive past 1945, but if she was, then she could have reverted to her maiden name.

I suspect that Jane Does from that era were not particularly well documented, but the finding of a Jane Doe would have merited a mention in a local newspaper, I would think. It would be an onerous task, but I suggest checking all Ohio newspapers day by day, page by page for any Jane Doe references. I would begin on February 15th, since her suppose last date of contact was February 14th, but if nothing turns up in February or March, then I would start working backward as well.

It's possible that she wasn't the one who withdrew the divorce petition; it's entirely possible that she was already dead and that someone forged her name or even impersonated her.

I read that her petition was withdrawn because she was a "no-show"

Jane Does exist only if they are "found", there are woods everywhere.

I also think she prob didn't live past 1945, but with the release of the census it's a good idea to check & see if anything comes of it.

I like your point @Ozoner that she could have reverted to maiden name.

I read that her petition was withdrawn because she was a "no-show"

Jane Does exist only if they are "found", there are woods everywhere.
That cements my believe that she was most likely killed by her estranged husband prior to February 14th. Do we have a hard date for the last confirmed sighting?

That cements my believe that she was most likely killed by her estranged husband prior to February 14th. Do we have a hard date for the last confirmed sighting?

She resigned in person on March 8th, 1945 three weeks after she filed for divorce.

Apparently someone saw her in Ohio a few weeks later, but who knows how reliable this sighting is?
They were probably asked in 1949 and by then, the dates can get cloudy.

She resigned in person on March 8th, 1945 three weeks after she filed for divorce.

Apparently someone saw her in Ohio a few weeks later, but who knows how reliable this sighting is?
They were probably asked in 1949 and by then, the dates can get cloudy.
Do you mean three weeks after the petition for divorce was withdrawn? The NAMUS page (cited on the first page of the thread) lists February 14th as the date the petition was withdrawn. Is that incorrect? It looks like the date of last contact was changed from February 14th (as quoted on the first page of this thread) to March 7th.

I would not give any weight to an uncorroborated eyewitness sighting.

Do you mean three weeks after the petition for divorce was withdrawn? The NAMUS page (cited on the first page of the thread) lists February 14th as the date the petition was withdrawn. Is that incorrect? It looks like the date of last contact was changed from February 14th (as quoted on the first page of this thread) to March 7th.

This is from the Charley Project:
Mary Jane filed for divorce on February 14, 1945. Her divorce petitious accused James of "extreme cruelty and gross neglect of duty." This phrase, a common one used in divorce proceedings, is defined in Ohio as "failure to provide mutual respect, fidelity and support", both emotional and physical. On November 23, 1945, back in West Virginia, James also filed for divorce. The court records indicate that Mary Jane did not respond to the petition, either in person or through her attorney.

On November 26, the West Virginia divorce was granted, with James getting custody of the five children. He later remarried. On April 4, 1946, the divorce petition Mary Jane had filed in Ohio was dismissed because she failed to show up for court. The court costs were deducted from a sum of money she'd previously deposited with the court. Mary Jane Vangilder – The Charley Project

The search for Mary Jane Vangilder, missing since 1945
“Mrs. Vangilder left our employ on 8 March 1945, due to ‘added household duties.’ Her address at the time of her resignation was 2 Trux Street, Plymouth, Ohio. Prior to her residence at the above address, she resided at 311 Woodland Ave., Willard, Ohio,” states a letter from U.S. Air Force 1st Lt. Edwin Selzer.

The Ohio detective referenced in the above article is on SM, but a source that we can't use on WS. He states: She quit her job in person. I have her signature on a form giving her last day. She provided two weeks notice.

I also don't give any weight to the eyewitness sighting.
Mary Jane's husband remarried in 1946. Month not given. Obtained from
public records.

Mary Jane does have a SS#. I saw this in a 2020 YT video. I have no idea how much tracking has been done.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mary Jane obviously had plans for her future. She gave 15 days notice when she resigned from her job. She was seen by a former coworker a few weeks after she left her job. She asked for the war bonds back so I assume she needed money possibly for her divorce. There is nothing anywhere in the information found to indicate contact with her husband, that she met another man, or was dating or pregnant. Her sister disappears and hasn't been heard from. Her sister's husband was found in Maryland. Maybe she moved to Maryland with her sister and sister's husband. Or, maybe she and her sister decided to start over somewhere else under new identities.

Mary Jane obviously had plans for her future. She gave 15 days notice when she resigned from her job. She was seen by a former coworker a few weeks after she left her job. She asked for the war bonds back so I assume she needed money possibly for her divorce. There is nothing anywhere in the information found to indicate contact with her husband, that she met another man, or was dating or pregnant. Her sister disappears and hasn't been heard from. Her sister's husband was found in Maryland. Maybe she moved to Maryland with her sister and sister's husband. Or, maybe she and her sister decided to start over somewhere else under new identities.

Someone thinks they may have seen her. Keep in mind, this was almost five years after she disappeared. I don't find this reliable. She was probably a border and if she wasn't working, they probably would have kicked her out of her housing.

Someone thinks they may have seen her. Keep in mind, this was almost five years after she disappeared. I don't find this reliable. She was probably a border and if she wasn't working, they probably would have kicked her out of her housing.
May have seen her where? I haven't read that anywhere only that she was seen a few "weeks" later by a former coworker in the same town she had been living in. I don't think she was "kicked . . . out of her housing." I think she had plans and left on her own.

May have seen her where? I haven't read that anywhere only that she was seen a few "weeks" later by a former coworker in the same town she had been living in. I don't think she was "kicked . . . out of her housing." I think she had plans and left on her own.
Based on her frequent moves, she was probably a border.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back