MO MO - Melissa Peskey, 40, shot and killed, Boonville, 13 Dec 2018

As far as Ryan Peskey's (Melissa Peskey's husband) MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) is concerned, Jethro4WS uncovered a news story that seems to raise the possibility that Ryan Peskey was an MP.

Here is a quote from the article that Jethro4WS uncovered, which article is posted below:

"BISMARCK, N.D. - Fifteen members of the North Dakota Army National Guard's 191st Military Police Company are returning home Wednesday after a year-long mission in Afghanistan. Throughout the day, soldiers will be flying in from Afghanistan to their homes in North Dakota, Minnesota and South Dakota."

You are always so helpful Alex. Thank you for the information.

So if he was a MP he sure would be skilled in the use of firearms.

Imo

I didn’t get to see the GH video that was deleted.

When is the husband NOT potentially a “person of interest”—that’s pretty much standard procedure in the initial stages of any investigation like this. This is different from officially being named a suspect.

If Melissa did in fact suspect that she was being tracked, and there were issues, etc, well of course this is suspicious and potentially relevant, but I will say ftr this case still does have the potential to be a random shooting case IMO and I say this for many reasons.

Unless this guy wanted to risk his kids being killed (which is definitely plausible, considering we are fresh off the Watts case), I doubt he would a shoot at his wife with the kids in the car or advise a hitman to do as such. Again, this is assuming he is not some sort of FA.

Secondly, Cori Romero was the victim of a night time random freeway shooting, case still unresolved (yes my pet case, NOCO):
CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #1

There are other reasons why I could totally see this turning out to be random or road rage. I know from experience incidents of shots being fired on vehicles are not always easy to find on the internet, but imo it’s worth taking a look at other possibly similar incidents in the area (vehicles shot at).

Let’s just say my eyes and ears are very open on this one and upon first glance I certainly wouldn’t rule out a random shooter (and apparently neither has LE).

Again, this is without considering the victim and husband’s personal relationship, but even then...I won’t be surprised if a comment is made that the husband has been ruled out. Conversely, I also will not be surprised if this was NOT random.

You guys would be floored if you knew how often this actually happens (vehicles fired at). Here’s an example (@Forager ‘s spreadsheet):

(Note to pick up here, will take a bit to find)

Morning margarita. There certainly are two types of possible suspects in this case.

Your example shows that to be true.

There are so many cases now of people being shot right out of the blue when they are in a moving vehicle now.

Scary times.

Imo

It really surprises me that the children were not hurt during the crash. If they were asleep, I wonder if they were wearing seat belts? If multiple shots were fired at Melissa Peskey, they were at risk of being shot as well.

It really surprises me that the children were not hurt during the crash. If they were asleep, I wonder if they were wearing seat belts? If multiple shots were fired at Melissa Peskey, they were at risk of being shot as well.

How far had she driven by then? I'm sure by 10:30 PM both may have been sleeping.

In a way I hope they were and didn't see their mommy get shot but if the 11 year old was still awake they could tell LE what possibly happened.

The thing is though even if young kids are still awake many are usually preoccupied playing some kind of video game.

I'm sure they have had officers who are experts in interviewing young children talk with them by now.

The oldest would be able to tell them about their mommy and daddy's relationship and if he ever threatened to harm her in front of them.

Jmo

How far had she driven by then? I'm sure by 10:30 PM both may have been sleeping.

In a way I hope they were and didn't see their mommy get shot but if the 11 year old was still awake they could tell LE what possibly happened.

The thing is though even if young kids are still awake many are usually preoccupied playing some kind of video game.

I'm sure they have had officers who are experts in interviewing young children talk with them by now.

The oldest would be able to tell them about their mommy and daddy's relationship and if he ever threatened to harm her in front of them.

Jmo

Oceanblueeyes, you asked how far had Melissa Peskey traveled when her trip was cut short by the accident and her death. I believe that her home was in Hartford, South Dakota. According to google maps, the distance from Hartford SD to Boonville, Missouri (where the accident occurred), is 522 miles (travel time: 7 hr. 21 min.). I'm sure she would have made some stops along the way, especially traveling with children, so that travel time would most likely be longer than 7 hr. 21 min.

According to Gray Hughes, RP (husband) has an attorney now. I am not so sure how much interviewing will be taking place, if any.

This is such a sad case. It was a Blessing that the children survived the car accident.

If Melissa was frightened for her life from her husband and told him she was leaving him, this is, as we all know, the most dangerous time.

From article below:

"75% of domestic violence related homicides occur upon separation and there is a 75% increase of violence upon separation for at least two years."

The Center for Relationship Abuse Awareness & Action

This is such a sad case. It was a Blessing that the children survived the car accident.

If Melissa was frightened for her life from her husband and told him she was leaving him, this is, as we all know, the most dangerous time.

From article below:

"75% of domestic violence related homicides occur upon separation and there is a 75% increase of violence upon separation for at least two years."

Thank you for the information you have provided on this tragic case and so many others.

I can attest that it is absolutely true.

After being separated from my ex husband for 10 months he came to my apartment and almost killed me putting me in ICU for three weeks.

Thank God I survived but so many women and also men who had moved out wanting a divorce during this same separation period..did not survive.

I really hope and pray for the children's sake their father had no part in any of this. It will profoundly affect them too. It leaves so many other victims behind that will never get over what happened to Melissa. It's even worse if this was done by a close family member.

Jmo

Last edited:
Thank you for the information you have provided on this tragic case and so many others.

After being separated from my ex husband for 10 months he came to my apartment and almost killed me putting me in ICU for three weeks.

Thank God I survived but so many women and also men who had moved out wanting a divorce during this same separation period..did not survive.

I really hope and pray for the children's sake their father had no part in any of this. It will profoundly affect them too. It leaves so many other victims behind that will never get over what happened to Melissa. It's even worse if this was done by a close family member.

Jmo

Oceanblueeyes, that is horrific! I am so glad that you survived.

I truly believe that this was not a random tragedy for Melissa.

As far as Ryan Peskey's (Melissa Peskey's husband) MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) is concerned, Jethro4WS uncovered a news story that seems to raise the possibility that Ryan Peskey was an MP.

Here is a quote from the article that Jethro4WS uncovered, which article is posted below:

"BISMARCK, N.D. - Fifteen members of the North Dakota Army National Guard's 191st Military Police Company are returning home Wednesday after a year-long mission in Afghanistan. Throughout the day, soldiers will be flying in from Afghanistan to their homes in North Dakota, Minnesota and South Dakota."
Great find!

Jmo

Dear OceanBlueEyes,

It is heartbreaking to hear that you went through that terror.

I am one of many who has read your messages and has come to know what a deeply kind and genuinely compassionate person you are. It is evident the great blessing you are to your family and every heart you touch along the way with your kind soul.

Thank God that you survived such an ordeal - 3 weeks in the ICU is so touch and go.

We are all, unfortunately, aware that most who experience violence at the hands of a loved one do not live. There isn't a day that goes by that we don't hear of tragic murders by people they trusted and loved.

That's the part that hurts the most - that the perpetrator was someone they once loved and trusted. I will never understand that.

I hope and pray, as you do, for the children's sake that their Dad was not involved.

May the children be surrounded by loved ones who hold them close and grieve with them for their dear Mom. My heart is with them.

Last edited:
Okay, so, we're going to get through the New Year's Holiday, and come January 2, 2019, the news on this case should begin to flow again (I would think). The reporter who has been the most attentive to this case has been on vacation during the Holidays. She should be back on the case by Wednesday, I hope and pray!

From article below:

Hi zen :). thanks for posting this.

“It is not known at this time if Melissa was targeted or if the shooting was random.“

Death of South Dakota woman involved in I-70 crash near Boonville ruled a homicide : KMZU

Okay, so, we're going to get through the New Year's Holiday, and come January 2, 2019, the news on this case should begin to flow again (I would think). The reporter who has been the most attentive to this case has been on vacation during the Holidays. She should be back on the case by Wednesday, I hope and pray!

Ok while we are waiting for more information, I’m going to start exploring the angle of a random shooting.

Alright so, ”Bonnville, MO”, never heard of it.

So googling “random freeway shooting missouri”, let’s see what comes up.

Also note to find @Forager ‘s amazing spreadsheet on vehicle shootings, not sure when the last update was, probably a couple years but an incredible reference no doubt.

Background research notes:

Police: Suspect in custody in Kansas City-area highway shootings
Thu April 17, 2014
https://www-m.cnn.com/2014/04/17/us...ngs/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/&rm=1

—-

Series of shootings on KC-area highways not linked, police say
SEPTEMBER 25, 2017

How far is KC? Looking it up.

ETA: Straight shot on the highway it appears:

1 h 34 min (103.1 mi)
via I-70 W

From the above link from 2017:

“On a Saturday night about a month ago, a woman was out celebrating her birthday with her mother when two cars sped past them as they traveled on Interstate 435.

They heard a popping noise, pulled over and the woman discovered a bullet had struck her leg.

Since then, several more incidents have occurred on Kansas City highways in which people in cars have been hit by gunfire. Police say at least 10 shootings have occurred since Aug. 17 on Bruce Watkins Drive, U.S. 71 and Interstate 435, mostly on the city’s east and south sides.“

—-

Okay looking going back now to see exactly where Melissa was shot.

Per the below post the mile marker is:

“The location of the accident was on I-70 Eastbound near mile marker 96”.

Hmmmmmm....pulling up DOT mile marker map or similar reference:
Maps | Missouri Department of Transportation

—-

Boonville, Missouri - Wikipedia

“Geography
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.21 square miles (18.67 km2), of which 6.89 square miles (17.85 km2) is land and 0.32 square miles (0.83 km2) is water.”

—-

Boonville, MO Topographic Map - TopoQuest

Alright appears to be Cooper County:

“Elevation of Boonville, MO, USA

Location: United States > Missouri > Cooper County > Boonville Township >

Longitude: -92.743241

Latitude: 38.9736392

Elevation: 204m / 669feet“

Worldwide Elevation Finder

“Cooper County, Missouri
Cooper County is a county located in the central portion of the U.S. state of Missouri. Snip Its county seat is Boonville. Wikipedia
Largest city: Boonville

—-
Boonville, MO - Boonville, Missouri Map & Directions - MapQuest

—-
Link local LE-
——

Police Investigating Shots Fired on James River Freeway, No One Injured

How far is the above location? Looking it up.

——

Great post, cpeacock1!

I'm thinking he'd have had plenty of time to do the round trip from their home in Hartford, SD to Boonville, MO (Western Cooper County). The location of the accident was on I-70 Eastbound near mile marker 96. A rough estimate on google maps showed that the trip (one-way) was approximately 522 miles (estimated travel time 7 hours and 42 min.).

Yeah, the sleeping pill. We had reports from patients who "sleep drove" under the influence of Ambien, so that ain't getting him a pass with me!

Last edited:
Ok while we are waiting for more information, I’m going to explore the angle of a random shooting.

Alright so, ”Bonnville, MO, never heard it.

So googling “random freeway shooting missouri”, let’s see what comes up.

Also note to find @Forager ‘s spreadsheet, not sure when the last update was

Margarita, it's "Boonville", Missouri. The title of the thread is not correct. I did send a "report" to a mod on duty to have it corrected in the title, but may not have done that correctly.

“Was it a random shooting or did someone want to kill a Sioux Falls real estate agent and mother of two?”

Authorities In Missouri Following More Than 60 Leads In Melissa Peskey Homicide Investigation

—-

“The patrol says the investigation is ongoing. The release didn’t say whether anyone had been arrested, and a patrol spokesman didn’t immediately return a phone message seeking comment. A reporter from KELO-TV spoke with her husband. Investigators have informed him he is a “person of interest” in his wife’s death. This does not mean he is a suspect.“

South Dakota driver shot, killed on I-70 in Missouri
DECEMBER 19, 2018

—-

“White said authorities are still unsure if Peskey was targeted or if her death was a random attack.

"Currently, there is not any evidence, nor an indication that the public is in danger," he said in an email Thursday.“

Investigators have more than 60 leads in Melissa Peskey homicide
Dec. 20, 2018

——

Ok so it looks like Missouri’s State Payr is he LE agency on this one:

“The Missouri State Highway Patrol said it is investigating dozens of leads in the death of a Hartford woman on Interstate 70 last week.“

Investigators have more than 60 leads in Melissa Peskey homicide

Missouri State Highway Patrol
Main Page

—-

“COOPER COUNTY, Mo. — Investigators are scrambling to figure out who shot a South Dakota mother traveling on Interstate 70 near Boonville last week.”

Death of South Dakota woman involved in I-70 crash near Boonville ruled a homicide : KMZU

—-

“Peskey had left Sioux Falls with her two children, reportedly on her way to South Carolina. Her husband was not in the car with her. She was on Interstate 70 in Missouri near Boonville, which is between Kansas City and St. Louis, when someone took her life.“

Investigators Receive Dozens Of Leads In Killing Of Sioux Falls Woman

—-

“The Missouri State Highway Patrol is staying tight-lipped about their investigation as they try to determine if it was a random act or if Peskey was targeted.”

Investigators Receive Dozens Of Leads In Killing Of Sioux Falls Woman

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member