CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #22 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the arrest warrant info they are holding from him, but they are having a hearing about it tomorrow to determine whether they can or can't- so no big deal. If the judges finds it is part of his constitution right to have it released he will get the info but it will probably still remained sealed to the public maybe until the rest of the info is made public Jan 29.
It IS a big deal. Normally an arrest warrant with affidavit would be provided to defendant’s attorney on the date of arrest. This defendant’s attorney has been kept in the dark since Dec 21. Neither the judge nor legal experts like it.

Withholding arrest affidavit from Kelsey Berreth’s alleged killer violates his constitutional rights, legal experts say

You know what this case reminds me of? The Sharon and Evan Osborne case- not solved yet. I wonder if PF read or heard about it. I think it was after memorial day Sharon and her son go missing. Step dad says nothing. Family, Friends start to worry. Mom is very close to Sharon but naive and it is a long time before they are reported gone. Lots of clean up time. Step dad makes up a story- Sharon left for another man- took Evan. No sign of either of them- no enrollment in school- nada. Police visit the house and he has is cleaning, remodelling-pulling up floor boards. I just wonder if he really thought, maybe based on the osborne case, that he really could say KB left, to see grandma and I have never seen her again and get away with it. I'm reaching, he probably never heard of the case, I just constantly try to rationalize non-rationale actions...

Idk any info that F or Bs might have to “tarnish” reputations, of each other, either. I guess there’s always “things” a person can dig up, if inclined.
Since the child is far from school age,maybe 50/50 custody? Just a guess. I would not like 50/50 but it’s not my call.
Personally, I don’t think the baby would be in danger with grandma F, she has never caused her harm, to my knowledge. It sounds like she has had opportunity, as much as she baby-sat, if factual.
I think the Bs will heal much faster if they can raise the child.
I don’t feel either party has a financial motive for custody, I think all love baby K.
MOO

I can’t imagine 50-50 custody would be granted when they live in different states. My fear with her being in the F family custody would be the lack of talking about KB positively. I worry about baby K healing too. She really needs to hear about KB growing up and how much she was loved. MOO and total speculation is that may be lacking with the F family, based off of some of the lack of perceived compassion- keeping baby K from grieving CB, not helping or voicing any support in finding KB, etc.

I agree it will all come out in the wash eventually and I am not worried.

Cant LE amend charges too in the future if additional information is found out?

I guess I fail to see why LE would withold the affidativ in the first place if they can amend charges if more information changes things later.

Maybe the reason was just to keep it hidden that LE already knew about IN and were trying to arrange some sort of plea deal with her.

I thought I had read that want it hidden to protect the identity of the witness but maybe that was just speculation

It IS a big deal. Normally an arrest warrant with affidavit would be provided to defendant’s attorney on the date of arrest. This defendant’s attorney has been kept in the dark since Dec 21. Neither the judge nor legal experts like it.

Withholding arrest affidavit from Kelsey Berreth’s alleged killer violates his constitutional rights, legal experts say

The judge could have immediately opened it up, so it isn't that the judge doesn't like it. It is the judge is trying to decide how fine a legal line she can walk and ensure info is provided to the defense and rights are protected. If she was so concerned PF would have had access on the last court date but she put if off til tomorrow.

Its the arrest warrant info they are holding from him, but they are having a hearing about it tomorrow to determine whether they can or can't- so no big deal. If the judges finds it is part of his constitution right to have it released he will get the info but it will probably still remained sealed to the public maybe until the rest of the info is made public Jan 29.
I assume that when he was arrested, he was told he was arrested for murder.

Family: Kelsey Berreth moved to Colorado to be closer to Frazee
snipped

WOODLAND PARK – Kelsey Berreth’s decision to move to Colorado in 2016 was motivated by love, according to a family member.

Ed Stanfill, Berreth’s uncle, spoke with News 5’s Sam Kraemer Monday, saying she wanted to get closer to then-boyfriend Patrick Frazee. After she moved, Stanfill said she accepted a job at Doss Aviation.

Berreth, who had attended flight school and worked as an instructor in Washington, got to know Frazee some time before moving to Colorado in 2016. Stanfill said he does not know how the couple met, saying, “She’s a pilot. She knows a lot of people.”

Despite working in Pueblo, Stanfill said his niece chose to live in Woodland Park to be closer to Frazee. She did not live with Frazee, he said, because the now-fiancé also lives with his mothe

Thanks. Yes, I read this before. I just don’t know the accuracy of things that are said by friends & family. But, I’m one that can’t fathom a friend or family member speaking out about personal matters. If it’s a comment that might help solve the crime, I’m okay with it. If not, I see no reason to talk. I would not, nor would my friends or family. I this type of case, I think it appropriate for immediate family, only. Jmo on things. We all view things dif’.

I can’t imagine 50-50 custody would be granted when they live in different states. My fear with her being in the F family custody would be the lack of talking about KB positively. I worry about baby K healing too. She really needs to hear about KB growing up and how much she was loved. MOO and total speculation is that may be lacking with the F family, based off of some of the lack of perceived compassion- keeping baby K from grieving CB, not helping or voicing any support in finding KB, etc.
that would be in the worst interest of the child IMO.

I agree it will all come out in the wash eventually and I am not worried.

Cant LE amend charges too in the future if additional information is found out?

I guess I fail to see why LE would withold the affidativ in the first place if they can amend charges if more information changes things later.

Maybe the reason was just to keep it hidden that LE already knew about IN and were trying to arrange some sort of plea deal with her.
BBM From the motion:

"There is a serious risk that disclosure of this information may jeopardize substantial, ongoing investigative efforts in this case. Further, the People believe that disclosure of this information at this juncture may seriously jeopardize the physical safety of potential witnesses in this investigation."
https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/001/P-6 People's Motion to Rescind Unsealing of Arrest Warrant.pdf

You know what this case reminds me of? The Sharon and Evan Osborne case- not solved yet. I wonder if PF read or heard about it. I think it was after memorial day Sharon and her son go missing. Step dad says nothing. Family, Friends start to worry. Mom is very close to Sharon but naive and it is a long time before they are reported gone. Lots of clean up time. Step dad makes up a story- Sharon left for another man- took Evan. No sign of either of them- no enrollment in school- nada. Police visit the house and he has is cleaning, remodelling-pulling up floor boards. I just wonder if he really thought, maybe based on the osborne case, that he really could say KB left, to see grandma and I have never seen her again and get away with it. I'm reaching, he probably never heard of the case, I just constantly try to rationalize non-rationale actions...

I will read up on this case... it sounds VERY similar. With having LE relatives, if it was publicized I could see discussions/speculation had over high profile cases outside of the area that PF could be present for.

I am afraid that the Frazee family is going to bash KB's 'mothering' and also bash her family, in order to try and regain custody themselves.

How would K’s mothering now be relevant? (With all due respect to her). I don’t think they could assert “K used to......”, as they’d have no reason to believe her mom might do the same. Imo

Is it possible different religious beliefs might come into play?

Moo

Are Verified Insiders posting here? If so, what are their nics?
Thanks!

I assume that when he was arrested, he was told he was arrested for murder.
Absolutely, the charges were also read out to him at the last court date, but the contention is they haven't released the information in the sealed warrant so he and his defense know what the evidence is to warrant and arrest. Prosecution asked that it be sealed. It was. Then they asked that it is sealed from defense and PF for an additional 7-10 days. the judge released the information to the defense team that day and scheduled to review the request to seal if from PF on fri. My guess is she will unseal it to PF on Friday, and was just buying prosecution a few more days of by putting it off for a more formal or indepth review of case law around it. JMO

Thanks. Yes, I read this before. I just don’t know the accuracy of things that are said by friends & family. But, I’m one that can’t fathom a friend or family member speaking out about personal matters. If it’s a comment that might help solve the crime, I’m okay with it. If not, I see no reason to talk. I would not, nor would my friends or family. I this type of case, I think it appropriate for immediate family, only. Jmo on things. We all view things dif’.
If this is CB's brother, perhaps she gave him permission to speak to the press about why she moved? In light of what we now know about the IN - it makes me wonder if this wasn't an attempt by LE to get information from her friends since it is being reported that she also had a relationship with PF around this same time? It just seems to me KB's family (all of them) have been very careful - and the Aunt no longer posts on WS that I can find although she did in the beginning. I'm guessing that is a recommendation from LE as well IMO.

It was in baby's best interest that the state stepped in and gained custody because it was not in the baby's best interest to keep her from seeing her maternal grandmother. One would have to have the maternal instincts of a rock to believe otherwise. JMO
Emph. mine

Yes, and from many threads back -- the Frazee's were keeping the baby from being able to see Kelsey's mom and family. (Berreths' had stated this.)
Sad.

MOO - P isn’t saying a word. I have a friend who’s favorite quote is “ What you do speaks so loudly, I cannot hear what you are saying.”

This ^^^
Maybe the friend or whatever that he's been involved with since 2016 will plead immunity for exposing the whole , horrifying story.
Although if I were LE, I'd be hesitant to consider any bargain until Kelsey is found !
Does that make sense or is it even possible ?
And if the friend knows what happened and sent texts/disposed of Kelsey's phone ; while knowing what happened to KB --- can she bargain at all ?
MOO

Last edited:

And the F family are or will be the same. The lack of positivity towards P. I don’t have a link handy but I’ve followed many cases where the custodian is REQIRED to allow prison visits & arranged phone calls between a minor child & its murderous parent.

AKL MOO

I thought her aunt said she moved to colorado to be with him, but I could be wrong.
That is what I remember. She moved to CO to be with PF. I read that KB worked at an aviation company in Pueblo before swicthing to Joss Aviation. She even worked at a coffee shop when first getting settled
in Woodland Park.

She definitely had stamina and determination. I think it's just that
she was trying so hard to make it work w/ the wrong guy who didn't deserve her.

Last edited:
BBM From the motion:

"There is a serious risk that disclosure of this information may jeopardize substantial, ongoing investigative efforts in this case. Further, the People believe that disclosure of this information at this juncture may seriously jeopardize the physical safety of potential witnesses in this investigation."
https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/001/P-6 People's Motion to Rescind Unsealing of Arrest Warrant.pdf

Thank You. That explains the DA's reasoning very well.

It will be interesting what the judge decides if the witholding will continue or not.

If that's the case the Berreth's need to have access to some of the sister's postings about Kelsey on social media. She was not very kind or concerned about her. IMO
I know from experience that many judges in Colorado do take into account things like one parent (or in this case, guardian) being unable to "encourage affection" toward the other parent.

What's the name of CB's lawyer? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members