Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some of my initial thoughts on the PC (head and emotions are still reeling so this might not be my most eloquent or clear post):

LE has stated they are currently serving searching warrants and this is still an active and fluid investigation and Jayme has been medically cleared and the questioning begins as LE gains more information. However, and I say this after watching infinite PCs, that IMO LE does likely know the answer to some of the questions that they said they do not know (and I realize they said there will be more information at 4:00) but imo LE a)doesn’t want to say as these details would be too disturbing for the general public as the whole country is watching this PC and b) is going to measures to protect the victim’s privacy and rightfully so. There is no way though that these details will not eventually come out considering the interest and publicity in this case unless documents are redacted - I feel bad for Jayme that her classmates will likely learn what type of indignities she likely suffered and this is going to be a lot for kids of that age to process.

Secondly, my first impression when they showed his mugshot was “that little punk??” Meaning I think I expected someone bigger or something...

Last edited:
There was a scanner "tweet", combined with a news photo of the neighborhood being blocked off, along with neighbor interview stating that the family house that was being searched was one of the very few homes that were occupied full-time, a search of the Douglas county assessor site showed only 4 homes in the 14100 block of that neighborhood who got their tax bills sent to their Gordon addresses and not elsewhere, Two homes were eliminated based on them being the one who was walking the dog and the other whose door got knocked on... process of elimination with the "P" name being similar sounding to the leftover two homeowners and the scanner tweet about the car being pulled over. #websleuthers
So it was just within the last day that it was mentioned, not before that as was implied. So no super-sleuthing psychic business happening here, but hey everybody gets cookies.
Jayme is ALIVE!

No previous contact. Wow. That is terrifying. The family didn’t know this guy. He must have seen her, developed a fixation, followed her home, and planned this out. Holy ****. This stuff just doesn’t happen! This is horror movie thriller novel stuff, not real life. It’s so chilling and horrific. Her poor parents, they must have been so scared and confused when he broke in. And poor Jayme. I really cannot wrap my mind around this.

It happened at least once before. Joseph Duncan.

Scott Bauer on Twitter
A woman who called 911 to report that a missing 13-year-old Wisconsin girl had been found says the girl told her that the man arrested in the case "killed my parents and took me." KK told @AP that Jayme Closs said she didn't know why she was targeted.

Scott Bauer on Twitter
A 21-year-old Gordon man, Jake Thomas Patterson, was arrested on homicide and kidnapping charges KK says she doesn't really know Patterson even though he lives three doors down from her. She says she taught him middle school science but only remembers that he was quiet.

BBM and name changed to initials

Made an account as I've been a very long time lurker but this case really is something special.
I watched the presser, you can just feel the emotion from everyone involved. I expect the next one to be a bit more professional with more credit given to Jayme. Awesome news!

Welcome :) Glad you decided to create an account and join us!

I don’t remember this much trashing of LE during press conferences after the Cleveland girls rescued themselves, after Elizabeth Smart was found by a tipster on the street, or after Jaycee Dugard was spotted on the UCB campus.

These guys worked this HARD. They are a small county and are likely in absolute shock right now. They are well aware that Jayme rescued herself. They’re not trying to take credit. But there’s no reason for the sheriff NOT to thank all the outside agencies and the public who helped. Kind of bewildering that so many take offense to this.

Welcome home, Jayme.
If they weren't trashed talked then there was a reason they weren't. I haven't read any posts here "trash talking" the LE involved here, just stating the obvious truth.

Or why anyone with cause to believe he could be a suspect in her kidnapping, would not diligently follow up the tip to LE.

The cryptic initials post only came out after it was announced Jayme was found alive and a suspect was arrested. People were able to gather information after she saved herself but before the press or LE had released his name.

I don't know but, The Groene case taught me that all someone who is sick enough, has to do is ride by and see someone.

Yep. At the time, no one could fathom that the suspect might have no connection to the family. I'm ashamed to say I really thought the father must have somehow been involved. There was no family connection at all. They lived close to the interstate highway, and that was the only reason.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Killer may not have a record (adult) however it to me may simply mean he was never caught. I do think this is his 1st abduction. Waiting for folks to come out of the woodwork. There is always a trail.......

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, maybe it may have made no difference but back in the early days there was someone on the official site that kept remarking that they should be checking cabins in the Minong, Trego, Gordon area, etc. or be searching up there. It likely would not have made a difference but I guess because of where this ended up being, it comes to mind now...

Well that's interesting.......hmmmo_O

Jayme Closs Update: Suspect accused of kidnapping young girl identified as 21-year-old from nearby county
“[The suspect is] Jake Thomas Patterson. He is 21 years old, from Gordon, Wisconsin,” Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said during the Friday morning press conference. “Jayme was taken against her will. We do believe Jayme was the only target…. The suspect took measures to avoid detection.”

The suspect does not have a criminal history, but he does “have a tie” to Barron County, Fitzgerald said. The sheriff also said the suspect likely did not know Jayme’s parents.

Patterson is behind bars, facing two counts of first-degree intentional homicide and one count of kidnapping.

Authorities said they are not looking for any other suspects at this time. No one else was in the suspect’s home when police searched it. He was captured in his car, just down the road from his residence in Gordon. Another press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m. today.

See @Tippy Lynn's post here for how to watch the press conference:

Found Alive - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #34

I'm so glad Jayme was able to describe the vehicle. Who knows how far he would have got, or how long it would have taken to find him. It does make me wonder though how she was able to identify the vehicle. Was that the vehicle he abducted her with? Did she see it sitting in the driveway? Did he drive her around in it at all the last 3 months? Typically, I wouldn't peg a 13 year old girl to be able to give good vehicle descriptions, but I'm thankful she was able to give a good enough description that they could catch him!
Wonder if it was a black SUV or a red/orange Challenger or not.

Cases like this give many of us hope that other missing child cases, like the 30 year old Lauren Jackson case here in PA (I could use some additional eyes on that case), could have a positive ending. I pray Jamie recovers from her ordeal and lives a happy and productive life.
I don't think there's any recovery from something like this. There is only coping. Day to day. For the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aprilssister94