Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is different.

This is far more extreme than someone’s feelings and expectations.

This guy was willing to kill for what he wanted.

The killing may have been part of the fantasy, or it may have been a means to an end. We just don’t know.

But the psychology here is different from some guy who takes advanage of a woman, and commits sexual assault or rape.

This is psychologically deeper and more profound.

This is something that a serial killer does.

Fortunately, he’ll never meet that definition.

This is bad enough.

This might have happened to other girls before Jayme. The fast killing of Jaymes parents, the casual driving away when he was caught, no running in fear, all sounds like a person whose done this more than once before.
I think the home and property needs to be checked for possible past kidnappings and possible murders.

JP’s tie to Barron is “Haugen” approx 8 miles north. Perp’s mom moved here when she left Gordon. In btwn Haugen & Barron is “Rice Lake”, where Jayme studied dance. If JP ever went to a recital, saw Jayme & became obsessed, it’d be easy to figure out who she was from viewing the names on the program- especially if Jayme performed a solo or duet.
Who is Jake Thomas Patterson?

This might have happened to other girls before Jayme. The fast killing of Jaymes parents, the casual driving away when he was caught, no running in fear, all sounds like a person whose done this more than once before.
I think the home and property needs to be checked for possible past kidnappings and possible murders.

I think he was driving around looking for her, not just "casual driving away."

This is third fairly substantial message of yours that I read and been impressed by. Two things stand out. 1.) All three should be made into stickies and 2.) I want to be like you when I grow up.

Ha ha, it's nice to laugh after such serious discussions. You are so kind and sweet. I am humbled. Thank you. :)

First of all, I love reading stickies here, but as far as I know, members can't make them, just the staffers, right? :)

Secondly, never ever grow up. Keep the hopeful loving wondrous spirit of a child and your life will be full of beauty and good fun surprises!

Lastly, I'm no one special, but if it's the sense of understanding human behavior in some my posts which you like, it just leaks out, even when I don't mean for it to. Once you grab hold of a Psychology textbook in college, start reading, and are hooked, it's a journey that takes on a life of its own because it's SO intuitive.
It is marvelous and amazing to delve into learning how and why humans ( and animals) do certain things certain ways ( and different ways). You're unlocking a very special field of study that relates to each of us and that's really fun. Although I went back to college to get the degree, I was still young enough to be interested in everything we studied, so it was a fascinating 2 years of my life.

I've kept up with advances in practice, medications and theory in both nursing and psychology/ psychiatry because I'm just as interested today as I was when a college student or practitioner.

IF human behavior appeals to you or anyone else here, I'd like to strongly encourage you to get a college syllabus and look into getting a master's degree in Behavioral Psychology. You will graduate with the ability to be a Master's degree therapist after passing certification or certifications in the area or areas you want to practice in, and you will hold the most popular degree in the field and the one most insurance companies will reimburse easiest. I didn't do it for the money, though, not at all. It was to understand and help people in need.

Not only has it helped me understand the people closest to me who are, to a person, quirky and extremely intelligent in fields which encourage introvertism to an extreme degree ( which is just maddening to me until I get into my communication techniques and then they want to interact) , the degree provided a great second career for me which I loved as much as, if not more, than being an RN.

Also, I retired very young, so I hope to have many years left to travel, learn new skills, and maybe hit one of our golf courses as a total newbie. :)

Last edited:
JP’s tie to Barron is “Haugen” approx 8 miles north. Perp’s mom moved here when she left Gordon. In btwn Haugen & Barron is “Rice Lake”, where Jayme studied dance. If JP ever went to a recital, saw Jayme & became obsessed, it’d be easy to figure out who she was from viewing the names on the program- especially if Jayme performed a solo or duet.
Who is Jake Thomas Patterson?
There are events for that actually. We have Solo Ensemble, (which is singing and band) and any one can show up.

[QUOTE="SeekingJana, post: 14715886, member: 22790”]

ETA — Sorry, I completely messed up the quote.

I know she’s needs time with her family to grieve, talk, feel safe, and begin some sort of new normalcy. But if she is ever ready it would be wonderful to see her take part in a nonthreatening but fun atmosphere away from home.

Some posters have mentioned Jaycee Dugard’s program. If that is appropriate for Jayme it sounds wonderful. If not, maybe something that would offer help in a similar way.

The last I heard, which was early yesterday evening, the family had not set up anything like a go fund me account. I hope they do since people will indeed donate and the help may give Jayme more current opportunities along with the ability to make any choice she wishes for her future.

All MOO (I certainly don’t know the family’s take on this).[/QUOTE]

I need to research Jaycee's program sometime today after I've had sleep ( hopefully). We former night shift nurses never ever get our days and nights straightened back out!

If I lived in Barron I would still be pissed that the sheriff made it sound like the community was safe! He didn’t know… he didn’t know squat!
I’m assuming the sheriff said this because everyone agreed in the beginning that Jayme was the target and maybe they know from FBI profile studies that this type of “obsession” is usually limited to ONE person? It would seem this information is accurate but how would we know - unless he was released and “targeted” someone else? I do think this type of crime is different from a serial killer who kills his victims within hours. He had Jayme for 88 days. He wanted her and killed to get her - his intense focus on her was/is obvious and hopefully the reasons WHY will come out so that we can understand the mind of this type of criminal behavior. I think that the community was safe, however.

I wanted to ask a question. I am fairly new to websleuths and I am trying to figure things out on here. I understand no links to social accounts, no names of unsubstantiated poi, stick to the facts only. I think I get all that. What i am wondering is: In the JC case, directly after this event transpired, I know with 100% certainty I read a handful of items reported by reputable news sources details of the case that were later deleted. For instance, the door WAS shot (as revealed in second news conference Friday) in which was at first reported in the media and then apparently scrubbed except for one interview with the grandpa. The other reported items I won't mention because I am unable to reference them as I have no links to support. I guess my question is, does that happen a lot in these cases? Do you save the research you find because of this issue? Even if you save those items and it's been taken offline, does it qualify as a reputable source? Tia, I just want to be respectful and follow the rules, but this k8nd of thing confuses me.

If I lived in Barron I would still be pissed that the sheriff made it sound like the community was safe! He didn’t know… he didn’t know squat!
If the killings or the abduction happened separately I would tend to agree with you but when you combine both together you got the sense that this was not random, it was targeted. Another example would be when there's a home invasion and the place is known to have drugs and money, LE routinely says that there's no threat to the community at large. Ultimately the Sheriff was right in what he said. JMO.

Most importantly I hope they set up a trust to pay for serious life-long support. Shasta Groene has had a difficult life mired with drug abuse and her own troubles with the law (which IMO is understandable given the horrors she survived). Everyone cared when she was a news story but no ones helping her now. Even the house she was given ended up in a legal battle. So people who are so sure Jayme will have everything she needs should take a look at other victims of abuse. Elizabeth Smart is the exception, not the rule. She realizes this better than anyone and has dedicated her life to helping others avoid the common tragedy cycle.
ITA, great post. Poor Shasta, I can completely understand her struggles, she endured literal hell on earth with that psycho. She didn't have a strong support system IMO after she was rescued. I wish her all the best, no judgement from me only compassion.

Jayme has an extremely close bond to her Aunt Jennifer and I think she will be Jayme's rock in the future. Her escape leads me to believe she is a fighter and my hope is she will continue to do so.

I wanted to ask a question. I am fairly new to websleuths and I am trying to figure things out on here. I understand no links to social accounts, no names of unsubstantiated poi, stick to the facts only. I think I get all that. What i am wondering is: In the JC case, directly after this event transpired, I know with 100% certainty I read a handful of items reported by reputable news sources details of the case that were later deleted. For instance, the door WAS shot (as revealed in second news conference Friday) in which was at first reported in the media and then apparently scrubbed except for one interview with the grandpa. The other reported items I won't mention because I am unable to reference them as I have no links to support. I guess my question is, does that happen a lot in these cases? Do you save the research you find because of this issue? Even if you save those items and it's been taken offline, does it qualify as a reputable source? Tia, I just want to be respectful and follow the rules, but this kind of thing confuses me.

It does happen that information is published and then removed. Sometimes it takes years before there is a trial in relation to a missing person and quite often original articles are missing. If you quote the relevant sentences and provide a link, that is sufficient - as in it doesn't matter if the article is later removed. That said, with the sloppy reporting that we see today, it's a good idea to fact check information by verifying that the same information is published by several independent sources.

I haven't heard an update on Abigail Hernandez, who lived in NH, she was also held captive. It's strange that I kept remembering her with this case.

I just recently saw a tv news show do a piece on her story with an update. Dateline, maybe? But she is doing well. Married with a baby on the way!

I wanted to ask a question. I am fairly new to websleuths and I am trying to figure things out on here. I understand no links to social accounts, no names of unsubstantiated poi, stick to the facts only. I think I get all that. What i am wondering is: In the JC case, directly after this event transpired, I know with 100% certainty I read a handful of items reported by reputable news sources details of the case that were later deleted. For instance, the door WAS shot (as revealed in second news conference Friday) in which was at first reported in the media and then apparently scrubbed except for one interview with the grandpa. The other reported items I won't mention because I am unable to reference them as I have no links to support. I guess my question is, does that happen a lot in these cases? Do you save the research you find because of this issue? Even if you save those items and it's been taken offline, does it qualify as a reputable source? Tia, I just want to be respectful and follow the rules, but this k8nd of thing confuses me.

If you provide a link and quote from it then there will at least be a record of it. You can also take screen shots.

I’d caution a little bit against the idea that things are often changed or removed. Does it happen? Sure. But also keep in mind that your memory isn’t infallible - sometimes people just remember things incorrectly, especially when a case takes 3 months to solve.

Looking at the chart that another poster offered it appears that mom gave a quit claim deed to dad, something typical in divorce to take a name/claim off of a deed.

I may be reading the to and from incorrectly and will need to go look at the records myself to follow the links and find out. But in either case JP appears to have been given free rein of the property. And it was perfect since the neighborhood was was made up of part time homes for many, with different people “living” in each (vacation rentals).

I know that JP is said not to have a criminal background but it’s reasonable to think this was not his first. It ‘feels’ (to me) that he would’ve worked up to this crime after being successful in keeping other (lesser) crimes from pointing back at him. To me, it seems like a game to him.

I may have missed some posts overnight because I actually slept so I’m sorry if much of this has been shared by someone else.

All MOO
Perps who have a long run of not being detected, especially psychopaths, tend to escalate the risk, so storming a home and killing the parents fits the bill for an escalation crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member