Norway Norway - Anne-Elisabeth Falkevik, 68, kidnapped, cryptocurrency ransom demanded, Oslo, 31 Oct 2018

Norway: Private tycoon goes public with wife's disappearance
The family and local police investigators kept the case secret for more than a month. But with leads drying up in the discreet probe, no suspects and the risk of witnesses forgetting vital information as more days passed, the family gave police the greenlight to go public with the case on Jan. 8. The following day, word was out.

In this link posted earlier by Chiatos it seems ransom demands are sometimes made in the units(?) of the cryptocurrency.

Google Translate

* In May 2017, 13-year-old Katlego Marite was kidnapped in Witbank in South Africa. The kidnappers demanded 15 bitcoin in ransom. This corresponds to approximately NOK 250,000. He was later released and it is unknown whether bitcoin was paid.

* In May 2017, the businessman Ashu Jain was kidnapped in India. The kidnappers demanded 20 bitcoin in ransom. He was released after six days. It is unknown if money was paid.

[...]

* In July 2018, South African businessman Liyaqat Parker (65) was kidnapped. It took 50 bitcoin in ransom. He was released after 71 days.

In this link posted earlier by Chiatos it seems ransom demands are sometimes made in the units(?) of the cryptocurrency.

Google Translate
So do you think it's possible they only specified x amount of cryptocurrency (bitcoin for example) and the police or reporters have converted that to euros just to give a ballpark indication of the size of the ransom demanded?

So do you think it's possible they only specified x amount of cryptocurrency (bitcoin for example) and the police or reporters have converted that to euros just to give a ballpark indication of the size of the ransom demanded?
I think so. But it could also be a foreign currency conversion like you said.

Four years ago, Raider Osen, a wealthy Norwegian art dealer, was kidnapped in Bergen, southwestern Norway. He was beaten and partially buried. The gun jammed down his throat smashed his teeth and broke his jaw. But Osen managed to flee before his abductors received the 2 million kroner ($200,000) ransom they demanded.

The three suspects also escaped. Osen says his kidnappers spoke through their ski masks with accents that sounded eastern European. He felt badly let down when police failed to catch them and feared the image of law enforcement inaction or ineffectiveness would embolden potential copycats.

“I was worried that similar things could happen again,” Olsen told the AP. “I knew it would.”
https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/norway-tycoon-goes-public-with-wifes-kidnapping/

The police confirm that the US Federal Police is connected to the Anne-Elisabeth Hagen case, NRKreports.

[...]

East police district announced on Wednesday that they have received just over 930 tips in the case.

One of these tips is from a man who observed a suspicious car in Lørenskog on the morning of October 31...To the VG , the tiper has explained that he saw what he thought was a silver-gray older model of Volkswagen Amarok or BMW X3 running in front of the exit door of the apartment block he lives in at Lørenskog, once between 8.30 and 10.30. It is not abnormal in itself, but then they tend to stop at the end of the block where the road stops. But in this case the car continued over the lawn and up the gravel path that goes up to the house where Hagen lives, he said.

FBI koblet inn i forsvinningssaken på Lørenskog

Neighbours called Anne-Elisabeth Hagen in the days after disappearance

Several of the neighbours called Anne-Elisabeth Hagen in the days after the disappearance and received a ringing signal. That means her phone was turned on and the police most likely know where it was.
If Anne-Elisabeth Hagen was abducted, and she took the phone with her and it was switched on, the police should have been able to trace the base stations where it entered.

Kona ringte Anne-Elisabeth Hagen etter at hun forsvant. Da var telefonen skrudd på.

But ... did Anne-Elisabeth take her phone along? Or was it left behind?

I wonder when they last heard from the abductors. It was said there was only limited communication but when was the last contact? Or did I miss it?
Yes Elainera I was wondering that too because somewhere in one of the newspapers ( possible the Guardian) it was said that a written note was left and demanded crypto currency but there were no details as to how to contact the kidnappers , even if Mr Hagen chose to pay the ransom money and that the kidnappers have only after 8 weeks of silence, made digital contact.

The lawyer for the man whose missing wife was allegedly abducted said they have received a message believed to come from those "in control of" her.

The lawyer said it was received Jan. 16, but "didn't include a sign" that Anne-Elisabeth Falkevik Hagen is alive.

Lawyer: Norway tycoon received message about missing wife

Norwegian billionaire Tom Hagen's wife being held for ransom

[...]

"The reason for us to go public with this case now is that despite a broad and extensive investigation, we need more information," he told a news conference.

"We have no suspects in this case," he said. Police have been "on the case for several weeks. That is all I'd say," he added.

[...]

Police believe she disappeared from the couple's home, some 31 miles from the Swedish border. Broeske said they were working with Europol and Interpol on the case.
View attachment 163381

Just wonder why did the police wait so long as 10 weeks to go public with this case....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back