CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #31 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often drive 800 miles or about 12 hours to visit family.....I always leave really early at like 3 or 4 am and typically arrive no later than 4:30 pm. And that’s with 3 kids, by myself, driving through 2 large cities even in the winter. If someone is used to the long drive it isn’t that big of a deal. I don’t think it’s a stretch that she left early Sunday morning to arrive by late afternoon. I think as soon as she got back she got rid of the phone.....she likely didn’t want it in her possession any longer than necessary. MOO

I’ve done long drives as well. Generally there are multiple stops for gas, at which we also combined a food and bathroom break.

My bf and I made a 1300 mile drive a few years ago with no overnight stays or anything, but we switched off driving, with one sleeping when not behind the wheel.

In this case, we’re talking about a 1,600 mile drive. Kk would’ve had to have driven 300 miles more than my bf and I did together, and we both passed out within minutes of getting to our destination and slept for many hours.

Unless she had a second driver, I believe she needed to get some rest in between.

I do believe she could have left early Sunday morning, and likely did. I’m just saying that I doubt she drove 800 miles, picked up a phone then turned around and drove another 800 miles.

It’s one thing to drive that distance when you plan to stay a while at your destination. It’s much more difficult to turn around and make another drive of that same distance within a short period of time.

I believe she - and most people in general- would need hours in between such drives to sleep. She also had to get the plan straight with PF.

I don’t believe your average person would make that long of a drive then turn around and go right back.

I also don’t believe a person would make that kind of drive unless there was some kind of benefit for them.

And if she was hung up on PF, I don’t believe she would’ve made that long of a drive to see him long enough to just pick up the phone.

JMO.

Source: KOAA TV Denver: "Berreth’s uncle, Ed Stanfill, called her disappearance out of character, also saying she’s comfortable in keeping to herself.
“Typically, she’s fairly quiet. I mean, she’s really reserved,” Stanfill said. “It’s not normal."
Neighbor: Kelsey Berreth is ‘a very kind-hearted person’
He is saying for her to not speak with her mom for days is not normal. He’s not saying her quiet nature is not normal. You have misinterpreted what he said.

Neighbor: Kelsey Berreth is ‘a very kind-hearted person’

Berreth’s uncle, Ed Stanfill, called her disappearance out of character, also saying she’s comfortable in keeping to herself typically. She’s fairly quiet. I mean, she’s really reserved,” Stanfill said. “It’s not normal. Kelsey and her mom typically talk quite often. I mean, they were attached at the hip since she was little. I mean, they were best friends.”

Last edited:
I'm undecided if LE frowns on people talking to media. With suspects...LE likes it when they do. In other cases the judge places a gag order. moo
I feel LE DIDN'T appreciate the R's revelations to the public and my reason for this is because the original interview was 45 minutes. We only saw a tiny piece of that and promises of "new" revelations in the third segment regarding KK's trip to CO never materialized. Even if LE secretly like this, and I'm not sure they do, what the R's did was morally wrong and devoid of empathy for the Berreth family and what they are suffering through. I see no advantage to LE in them speaking out. They just needed to go to LE and even that, was too little, much too late. Always, MOO

I’ve done long drives as well. Generally there are multiple stops for gas, at which we also combined a food and bathroom break.

My bf and I made a 1300 mile drive a few years ago with no overnight stays or anything, but we switched off driving, with one sleeping when not behind the wheel.

In this case, we’re talking about a 1,600 mile drive. Kk would’ve had to have driven 300 miles more than my bf and I did together, and we both passed out within minutes of getting to our destination and slept for many hours.

Unless she had a second driver, I believe she needed to get some rest in between.

I do believe she could have left early Sunday morning, and likely did. I’m just saying that I doubt she drove 800 miles, picked up a phone then turned around and drove another 800 miles.

It’s one thing to drive that distance when you plan to stay a while at your destination. It’s much more difficult to turn around and make another drive of that same distance within a short period of time.

I believe she - and most people in general- would need hours in between such drives to sleep. She also had to get the plan straight with PF.

I don’t believe your average person would make that long of a drive then turn around and go right back.

I also don’t believe a person would make that kind of drive unless there was some kind of benefit for them.

And if she was hung up on PF, I don’t believe she would’ve made that long of a drive to see him long enough to just pick up the phone.

JMO.
Maybe she flew. Has that been ruled out?
MOO

I’m beginning to think the 11/24 Sonic sighting story may not be true, or at least as far as the speculations have been regarding it. That puts her in WP 2 days after the murder. I think she would have high tailed it out of there right after .

I doubt it. I’m going with into WP and out ASAP to fly under the radar. They could track her in a plane easily.
Yes, of course. And perhaps they have. I tend to think that she had a long weekend off work - 4 days at least - and she drove, but the possibility that she flew still exists in my book.
MOO

I’m beginning to think the 11/24 Sonic sighting story may not be true, or at least as far as the speculations have been regarding it. That puts her in WP 2 days after the murder. I think she would have high tailed it out of there right after .

Except she couldn't stay away from him...

Maybe she thought she had another valid reason to be in Co, that would be accepted?

CNN reported on January 4, 2019 that authorities were still trying to work out whether to send their processed evidence to CBI by special courier or by mail. The largest USPS Priority mail box is 12 x 12 x 8 inches. I take "special courier" to mean Delta Airlines cockpit courier service, which would be similar size limit. Delta is the only carrier serving Twin Falls daily.
Kelsey Berreth: Idaho woman suspected of disposing of missing mom's phone - CNN

That's interesting that "evidence of a sensitive nature" (per the linked article) would be sent that way, unless the courier was LE. How is the chain of custody of evidence maintained?

Another thing I've wondered about the Rs: Defense attorneys usually employ their own investigators, so did they have one, and if so, did the investigator spend any time investigating this on their end of things?

Edit: punctuation

Last edited:
That's interesting that "evidence of a sensitive nature" (per the linked article) would be sent that way, unless the courier was LE. How is the chain of custody of evidence maintained?
USPS Priority Mail is tracked electronically through every carrier and every mail facility, and can be sent "addressee only, return receipt required". Cockpit courier is directly from the senders hand to the ground person to the pilot and from the pilot to the recipient of the recipient's designated courier. Back when I did it, some airlines would require that the courier deliver back a return receipt to them.
Perhaps questions like yours were the reason that it was still being negotiated on January 4th.
IMO

I keep going back to my theory that there was no romance between PF and KK but they knew each other for quite some time. I think there is a male involved who also knew PF for a long time and KK is involved to some degree via that person. I think they tracked KK thru cell communications and she hasn’t been arrested yet because she’s spilled the beans and is working with the FBI on bringing the other person down to buy herself lesser charges. They may have confirmed they she never left TF but was still involved. We don’t know.

Last edited:
Dave F Thanks for your reply.

Both scenarios you describe seem to have evidence leaving the direct possession of LE, IMO. Mail has been known to get lost/stolen/destroyed/damaged while in the delivery stream. I would think sensitive evidence in a possible murder investigation would be subject to the strictest chain of custody requirements (I.e. never leaving LE possession), but that's JMO. I'm not LE or in the legal field.

ETA: tried to reply, website keeps reloading

Another thing I've wondered about the R's: Defense attorneys usually employ their own investigators, so did they have one, and if so, did the investigator spend any time investigating this on their end of things?
I haven't taken the time to count all of the people in their staff picture, but my opinion is that PF has got plenty of manpower on his public defense team.........and yes.....they have full time investigators. Which ones are they in the staff photograph? I haven't got a clue.
Colorado Springs | Office of the Colorado State Public Defender

good question. if LE in general has questions about protocol for exchange of evidence then they are not as advanced as i thought. but i remember reading somewhat recently that LE had come to the conclusion after the case had advanced that the particular evidence in this question of transfer was no longer considered that important to the case. when i read that i thought it was strange.

I haven't taken the time to count all of the people in their staff picture, but my opinion is that PF has got plenty of manpower on his public defense team.........and yes.....they have full time investigators. Which ones are they in the staff photograph? I haven't got a clue.
Colorado Springs | Office of the Colorado State Public Defender

I was referring to the Rs, the BFF's employers, not PF's attys. Not sleuthing anyone, just curious if the Rs had anyone poking into things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maria_Falc