CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad. I thought the previous testimony was that no checks were created out of custom, but apparently today there was testimony to the contrary? Have not seen much of yesterday or today yet. Imo, it does not matter which account they were created from, except that the unusual break in procedure occurred in close proximity to the murders. It lends credence to the circumstantial evidence of guilt. It does matter from the perspective of the check created on Feb 1st/cashed Feb 2nd and the check numbers associated with that early activity if those were created out of custom and messed around with in contact on Feb 4th. It's indicative of a telling pattern as well as a huge anomaly, the check number.

I was thinking about the idea that Joey supposedly gave unsigned checks to Chase. That notion is completely absurd since an unsigned check cannot be used and they would still have to meet up to get them signed. If Joey suddenly decided to start having Chase issue checks, he would have given him a limited number of signed checks. Given Joey's knowledge of Chase's problems with money, very unlikely.

If I was a juror, I could care less how many cheques CM made/deleted in QB's, I would want to know how many he actually cashed/deposited and the total amount. That is much more telling to me, other than CM possibly accessing the JM's pc. The Prosecution will have his bank account/financial records, NO DOUBT about that.

The QB info has alot of us stumped here, so I can't imagine what the jurors are thinking rn.

Having a hard time trying to reply this morning, so if you see mumbo jumbo here and elsewhere please ignore.

What I wanted to reply concerns item 828 from Scroeders prior testimony. This is a check record item # 4093 listing a balance at top of $89724, vendor charles merritt for 4k. Dated Feb 4th. It can be found on You Tube part 1 of the sergeant's testimony.

What I think we have to find out is if that $89724 is Joey's bank balance, or if it is a balance that is being worked with in relation to all the projects in motion. It is possible that the CUSTOM account didn't just monitor what was owed between Joey and Chase, but it was being used to monitor overall project expenses.

One discrepancy I have noted is the handwritten cheque Joey gave Merritt on Feb 2nd. I've seen it stated (possibly from the prelim hearing) that Joey gave him a cheque for $200, he cashed $100 of it and deposited $100 in a new account. This isn't true. Joey gave him a cheque for $100.

McStay 1117.png
click to enlarge

What I think we have to find out is if that $89724 is Joey's bank balance, or if it is a balance that is being worked with in relation to all the projects in motion. It is possible that the CUSTOM account didn't just monitor what was owed between Joey and Chase, but it was being used to monitor overall project expenses.

Personal bank account? I thought JM had 2 separate accts, 1) personal with 100K (untouched) 2)Business 89K?

Sorry, I think you are talking about the business acct now. Told ya I was thick!

Last edited:
Something I'm perplexed about. Chase successfully remotely accessed Joey's QB Custom account to create/print/delete checks on both Feb 1 and Feb 2. He successfully cashes one of the checks that he created on Feb 2.

So on Feb 4, after he allegedly murdered the family, why would he hang around the home on Joey's computer creating a check and then deleting it? It couldn't have been a "practice run" because he already had done all this days ago. Also, I can't imagine it would have been a priority on his mind at that particular time, having just bludgeoned a family of 4??? Especially since he already knew how it worked? Any thoughts?

The phones. He had a small window to do this sort of thing, because there would be no further outgoing texts from either phone, from Joey to Chase, Chase to Joey, Joey to Summer, Summer to Joey, etc. No phone calls from either.

He couldn't "make" the phones do things simultaneously to pretend they were alive.

The phones tell a lot. Chase didn't call Joey, text him, call Summer, leave voice messages wondering where they were. After the 4th, he didn't act like any sort of concerned friend. Considering when they were reported missing, why wouldn't Chase keep calling, messaging, emailing, etc? This was his best friend, remember? No phone calls to him? No repeated voice messages? No notes on the door? No calls to other people involved in EIP? He knew they were gone, imo.

If the defense is going to stick with Chase's version of the story, that JOEY was the one that created that check from the custom account on the 4th, then deleted it, :rolleyes:, that is going to be a hard sell.

How do they explain why Joey, who has never ever written a check from that account, would suddenly, that fateful night, do so?

If Joey had to write a check to Chase he always did so from the Contacts account. In fact, he gave a check for 200 bucks to Chase at lunch I believe, and it was from the Contacts account.

The Custom account was set up to keep track of monies owed to Chase from various projects. It was not set up to create checks for him. The account bank balance was set up in the Contacts account. That's why checks were written from that account.

I think it will be hard to convince the jury that Joey broke with his past 2 years of financial accounting routine and suddenly did something so unusual, that made no sense in terms of how and why his QB system was set up.

Talking of hard sells I struggle to believe Joey finds out Chase stole over £2000 and then hands Chase a cheque minutes later for £200. That makes zero sense and i can’t wrap my head around that. It simply doesn’t make logical sense and if I am the defense I would be pointing that out big time.

It defies logic!!!!!

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 51m51 minutes ago
Cathy Russon Retweeted Link to Link

In one of the warrants it states Merritt told investigators he was writing and book and would be happy to print out what he had so far for them saying he'd written 7 chapters

Cathy Russon added,

Link to Link @ElusiveLinker
Replying to @cathyrusson
does anyone else remember merritt was writing a book about the family? maybe this is all research for that book? I read about it in the Daily Mail uk, it even had a picture of the book if I recall
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

The phones. He had a small window to do this sort of thing, because there would be no further outgoing texts from either phone, from Joey to Chase, Chase to Joey, Joey to Summer, Summer to Joey, etc. No phone calls from either.

He couldn't "make" the phones do things simultaneously to pretend they were alive.

The phones tell a lot. Chase didn't call Joey, text him, call Summer, leave voice messages wondering where they were. After the 4th, he didn't act like any sort of concerned friend. Considering when they were reported missing, why wouldn't Chase keep calling, messaging, emailing, etc? This was his best friend, remember? No phone calls to him? No repeated voice messages? No notes on the door? No calls to other people involved in EIP? He knew they were gone, imo.
I think I noted from somewhere (prelim maybe) there were 12 calls from Chase to Joey after the 4th until he contacted Susan Blake on 9th and then no further calls. I'm not sure about the total 12 being correct though because I have the following calls in my notes and it infers he would have tried to call him 6 times on the 8th -

5th - 3 calls
6th - 0 calls
7th - 2 calls - both at 3.47 pm
8th - ?
9th - 1 call at 1.07 pm

Talking of hard sells I struggle to believe Joey finds out Chase stole over £2000 and then hands Chase a cheque minutes later for £200. That makes zero sense and i can’t wrap my head around that. It simply doesn’t make logical sense and if I am the defense I would be pointing that out big time.

It defies logic!!!!!

But do we know that Joey actually did hand that check over? Joey may have written that check out BEFORE he realized there was a fraudulent check.

The only reason we know that Joey 'gave' Chase that check is because Chase said so. Maybe Joey had that check on him, but never gave it to him at all. Chase may have taken it later on.

Because it also defies logic that Joey would write out a check for 200 bucks, and take it to Chase, if he had already given permission to Chase to create his own checks and sign them.

But do we know that Joey actually did hand that check over? Joey may have written that check out BEFORE he realized there was a fraudulent check.

The only reason we know that Joey 'gave' Chase that check is because Chase said so. Maybe Joey had that check on him, but never gave it to him at all. Chase may have taken it later on.

Because it also defies logic that Joey would write out a check for 200 bucks, and take it to Chase, if he had already given permission to Chase to create his own checks and sign them.
I haven't seen anywhere that Joey gave Chase a cheque for $200 at lunch on the 4th. I think this may be getting confused with the cheque he gave him on 2nd when McGyver was at the house, which was for $100 (see my post #1082 above) but commonly mistaken to be a cheque for $200.

The 'screenshot' vs 'picture' confuses me. I always thought that to do a screenshot, you needed to be on a computer or a tablet.

How do you get a screenshot on your phone, except by taking a picture of it?

I don't know how to expain that to you LOL i do it all the time accidently on my phone LOL but I have done it to look up a product, screenshot it, and text it to my daughter or someone else ... to say "this is what I want" People also screenshot conversations all the time on their phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ctrls