Found Deceased WI - Kathleen Ryan, adult, teacher, car found burned with body inside, St. Francis, 2 Feb 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this juncture, detectives report they have received no tips. They have provided very little information. There has been no press conference. Questions I have . . .
* When son(s) last spoke to KR, did she appear to be ready to leave house?
* Do we know what time she left her home? Did any neighbors see her leave? (according to Kathleen's son Sam) He said his mother talked to several family members Saturday morning, and neighbors saw her leave home around noon.
* Was her husband home that day?(I haven't heard one word from or about Kathleen's husband other than Sam said they had been married for 30 years) Sam Ryan said his mother grew up in Fond du Lac and lived in Milwaukee for at least two years. She has three sons and has been married to their father for over 30 years, he said. She survived cervical cancer in the early 2000s.
* Did her husband ever accompany her to basketball games as a family outting? (Again haven't heard any information about the husband)
* What was KR wearing when she was on FaceTime with one of her sons?
* Are family members questioned by LE, given lie detector tests? (Is that protocol?)
* Cameras, cameras, cameras . . . Has LE scoured every exit off I94 and Hwy41 for cameras at gas stations, stores, parking lots etc? Covelli said deputies are investigating whether there was foul play and they are reviewing video recorded by surveillance cameras on Route 41.
* Have the Tollway cams caught an image of KR’s vehicle?
* Who called in the car fire?
* Was the couple home at the residence where KR’s vehicle was found? Did they note anything unusual?
* Has LE verified the people who were renting rooms at the motel across the road from where the car was found? Motel was said to have been converted to rentals so residents are long term. If I have the driveway correct where KR's car was found, the "motel" is on the same side of the street and south of where the car was found. Fatman resturant is just south of the "motel". Click here to see Google Maps
* Has LE viewed camera footage from gas station across the road from where the car was found? If I have the correct driveway where KR's car was found, the gas station/truckstop is on the same side of the street and to the north of where the car was found.
* Does HPPA law apply to LE after a death?

Most of the information can be found at this link: The body found in a Milwaukee teacher's car could be identified Thursday

If neighbors saw her leaving around Noon that day and she was planning to arrive at a basketball game at 4:30PM, certainly she had plans along the way. Lunch meet-up with someone?

Regarding driveway, I was under the impression it was across the street . . . Have no idea where I got that idea. (They are going to need to review more video than Route 41 ! How could they not?)

This is so strange.

If neighbors saw her leaving around Noon that day and she was planning to arrive at a basketball game at 4:30PM, certainly she had plans along the way. Lunch meet-up with someone?

Regarding driveway, I was under the impression it was across the street . . . Have no idea where I got that idea. (They are going to need to review more video than Route 41 ! How could they not?)

This is so strange.

I was also under the impression that the driveways were across the street (& a bit down) from the gas station/truck stop. Kitty corner, if you will.

Lets go with the theory that Kathleen was abducted in St. Francis by someone unknown to her.

This person took her against her will and maybe killed her right away or killed her several hours later just before setting the car on fire.

If she was alive the whole time, I can't see this criminal going along for a ride letting Kathleen decide where to go or if this criminal was driving the car, he or she would have taken directions from Kathleen or driven in the same direction as Kathleen was going to meet with her sons and grandchildren to watch the game and then dumping the car only 10 miles from her destination.

If Kathleen was killed soon after being abducted in or close to her home town, the likelihood of this random criminal driving her car basically in the same direction Kathleen had planned to go and dumping her car and dead body practically at her destination are so astronomical I would have a better chance at winning the lottery.

The other impossibility would be for this criminal to get back home after dumping the car where it was found, if this criminal that is unknown to Kathleen is from the Milwaukee area. He or she would obviously need someone else's help.

I think it's safe to say if Kathleen was abducted by a stranger, she was abducted closer to where she was found, compared to where she lived.

JMO[/QUOTE

“ I think it's safe to say if Kathleen was abducted by a stranger, she was abducted closer to where she was found, compared to where she lived.”

I agree. If she were abducted by a stranger near her home, it’s too much of a coincidence that she ended up just off her planned route.

But, if she had been abducted near her home, by someone she knew, someone who knew where she was heading that day, it would make more sense. Timeline is still 9.5 hours (approx) from time she was seen departing vs car found on fire.

If she had been abducted closer to where the vehicle was found, let’s say she was shopping at Gurnee Mills, the location where the car was ditched would make more sense. I’d see a perp who needed to go somewhere, perhaps to score drugs and later returned to the area where he/she resided.

I’d be checking that motel list of residents, very carefully.

can yes, likely or common, no
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox6no...n-shot-killed-in-gas-station-parking-lot/amp/

I know you are unfamiliar with the area as is evidenced by your replies. Hopefully the many links that have been provided so far help you understand the city of Milwaukee and surrounding area. All you need to do is Google Milwaukee and you come up with many instances of these kinds of incidents. I’m not saying that any one of these situations are what happened to Kathleen but some of the theories presented are not far fetched.

“ I think it's safe to say if Kathleen was abducted by a stranger, she was abducted closer to where she was found, compared to where she lived.”

I agree. If she were abducted by a stranger near her home, it’s too much of a coincidence that she ended up just off her planned route.

But, if she had been abducted near her home, by someone she knew, someone who knew where she was heading that day, it would make more sense. Timeline is still 9.5 hours (approx) from time she was seen departing vs car found on fire.

If she had been abducted closer to where the vehicle was found, let’s say she was shopping at Gurnee Mills, the location where the car was ditched would make more sense. I’d see a perp who needed to go somewhere, perhaps to score drugs and later returned to the area where he/she resided.

Lets go with the theory that Kathleen was abducted in St. Francis by someone unknown to her.

This person took her against her will and maybe killed her right away or killed her several hours later just before setting the car on fire.

If she was alive the whole time, I can't see this criminal going along for a ride letting Kathleen decide where to go or if this criminal was driving the car, he or she would have taken directions from Kathleen or driven in the same direction as Kathleen was going to meet with her sons and grandchildren to watch the game and then dumping the car only 10 miles from her destination.

If Kathleen was killed soon after being abducted in or close to her home town, the likelihood of this random criminal driving her car basically in the same direction Kathleen had planned to go and dumping her car and dead body practically at her destination are so astronomical I would have a better chance at winning the lottery.

The other impossibility would be for this criminal to get back home after dumping the car where it was found, if this criminal that is unknown to Kathleen is from the Milwaukee area. He or she would obviously need someone else's help.

I think it's safe to say if Kathleen was abducted by a stranger, she was abducted closer to where she was found, compared to where she lived.

JMO

This makes a great deal of sense & is excellent thinking. Assuming she was abducted/carjacked by a stranger, I am also of the opinion this happened closer to where her car was found than to her home.
Something that keeps nagging in my brain is the fact that her car was found so close to Gurnee Mills mall, & the media reports that have said that she often brought treats to members of her sons’ basketball team. Could she have stopped somewhere for treats? Could she have left her home early in order to leave time for a stop at the mall?
What about the outlet malls near the WI/IL border (on the WI side)? I know people make a special trip to go out there with the intent to save money by shopping the outlets. Could she have left early with the intent to shop the outlet mall before going to the game?
Could she have left early with the intent to stop and visit someone or have a late lunch with someone?
There is radio silence since they identified her body. What is going on with the investigation?

JMO

You're certainly entitled to go with that theory. I, on the other hand, prefer to keep an open mind and entertain the possibility that she could have been abducted in St. Francis or Milwaukee by someone she knew. With so little published information and the possibility of two addresses, I see no reason at this time to limit myself to considering only one theory.

As others have noted, the motel was turned into studio apartments a few years ago, so this should make it easier for the police to determine who lives/lived there at the time of the crime. The apartments are rented monthly for $600, but it’s not clear if you can rent one for just a month or if there are yearly leases.

This makes a great deal of sense & is excellent thinking. Assuming she was abducted/carjacked by a stranger, I am also of the opinion this happened closer to where her car was found than to her home.
Something that keeps nagging in my brain is the fact that her car was found so close to Gurnee Mills mall, & the media reports that have said that she often brought treats to members of her sons’ basketball team. Could she have stopped somewhere for treats? Could she have left her home early in order to leave time for a stop at the mall?
What about the outlet malls near the WI/IL border (on the WI side)? I know people make a special trip to go out there with the intent to save money by shopping the outlets. Could she have left early with the intent to shop the outlet mall before going to the game?
Could she have left early with the intent to stop and visit someone or have a late lunch with someone?
There is radio silence since they identified her body. What is going on with the investigation?

She had so many reasons to shop. She had the time. Yes, she would bring treats for the team members. She would be seeing her three Grandchildren after the game (gifties!) and the Monday after her disappearance was her Birthday. She may have stopped to shop al along the way. The shopping is much better South of her home in Racine/Kenosha/Gurnee. (Hwy 50 in Kenosha also has a Woodman’s.)

As others have noted, the motel was turned into studio apartments a few years ago, so this should make it easier for the police to determine who lives/lived there at the time of the crime. The apartments are rented monthly for $600, but it’s not clear if you can rent one for just a month or if there are yearly leases.

Wondering if this hotel accepted inmates just released from the Lake County Jail? Many times, conditions of parole dictate that the person must live within a certain distance and check in/with their parole officer. It’s not unusual for them to have challenges finding cheap rent and a landlord willing to rent to them which is why they end up in Motels. I see this happen quite a bit in one small rural town in WI.

In trying to determine where Kathleen was when the neighbors saw her, and if they were the last to see her, I looked for her address. The two towns represent two different homes, though close to one another, because they are on two different streets. Also, photos of them can be seen on Google Maps.
For Kathleen Ann Ryan from the Whitepages directory:
1) 3282 East Thompson Avenue, Saint Francis, WI 53235
2) 2306 East Holt Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53207
https://www.whitepages.com/name/Kathleen-Ann-Ryan/Milwaukee-WI/uazxmkg
I was wondering if there had been any criminal or suspicious activity reported around the time she was last seen, but it's unclear to me exactly where she was the last time she was seen. JMO.
I had never heard of the 3282 East Avenue address in news reports. The news story that ran before her body was identified shows the street sign with Kinnickinnic, and says she was last seen at her home at Kinnickinnic and Holt Avenues around noon on Saturday (ABC Eyewitness News, Chicago). They say it fast and it is hard to understand because of the complicated pronounciation of the street name. Burned body found in missing teacher's car

Another story mentions her home in the 3200 block of Holt, which is at the intersection of Holt and Kinnickinnic. But you are right, this is listed as Milwaukee and not St. Francis. Although her obituary says she lived in St. Francis. Perhaps the news report was wrong. Or, IMO, while the address on Holt is technically Milwaukee, I think people may just say they live in St. Francis, WI because of the proximity. St. Francis pins down your actual location better than saying Milwaukee.

Anyone with information about Ryan's disappearance or the discovery of her burning car is asked to call the Milwaukee Police Department at 414-933-4444. Anonymous tips can also be sent to Milwaukee officials online at Milwaukee.gov. Tips to the Lake County Sheriff's Office can be made by calling 847-377-4224 or submitting an online tip at LakeCountyIL.gov.

OK, so WI state law mandates that sex offenders must return to the City where they committed their crimes but are offered no assistance in finding residency. That explains a lot. This article is sobering and adds a whole new wrinkle to the possibilities. One possibility for evidence collection is that they must wear an ankle bracelet.

“If this is winning, I don’t want it:” Convicted sex offender talks about life after being released from prison

Edited to add: Recently released prisoners ordered to Lake County would be a list of suspects. And if one was living in the Motel . . .

I had never heard of the 3282 East Avenue address in news reports. The news story that ran before her body was identified shows the street sign with Kinnickinnic, and says she was last seen at her home at Kinnickinnic and Holt Avenues around noon on Saturday (ABC Eyewitness News, Chicago). They say it fast and it is hard to understand because of the complicated pronounciation of the street name. Burned body found in missing teacher's car

Another story mentions her home in the 3200 block of Holt, which is at the intersection of Holt and Kinnickinnic. But you are right, this is listed as Milwaukee and not St. Francis. Although her obituary says she lived in St. Francis. Perhaps the news report was wrong. Or, IMO, while the address on Holt is technically Milwaukee, I think people may just say they live in St. Francis, WI because of the proximity. St. Francis pins down your actual location better than saying Milwaukee.

The post office might be known as Saint Francis and the area later annexed by the City of Milwaukee. That's what happened to our community. After annexation, the name on our post office was not changed nor did our zip code change.

JMO

Yes, the address / town discrepancies are odd and confusing. The Holt Avenue location I've seen in MSM articles is described as the 2300 block, not the 3200 block. According to real estate listings, 2306 is described as an 800 sq. ft. condo, and I believe it is on the corner with Kinnickinnic. It appears that she may be the only occupant of the unit, but I don't trust the accuracy of the Whitepages directory, or other online directories. This address discrepancy is, IMO, one more piece in a confusing puzzle, but in the end may not mean anything. MOO.

The post office might be known as Saint Francis and the area later annexed by the City of Milwaukee. That's what happened to our community. After annexation, the name on our post office was not changed nor did our zip code change.
JMO

But would that explain two different homes on two different streets? JMO.

The only thing keeping me from signing up 100% for foul play is: Where are the ATM or credit card Transactions

JMO

BBM. I think you are spot on. The fastest route to the High School from her address in Milwaukee is via I-94 which is a tollway in Illinois with few exits. Both Carmel High School and Gurnee Mills Mall are west of I-94 and are on Grand Ave which also happens to be the next exit south after the Waukegan Oasis.

Her car was found east of I-94 near Stearns School Rd. There isn't an exit off I-94 to Stearns School Rd, which borders the Gurnee Mall to the North. Grand Ave. borders the Mall to the south. There are many, many hospitality and service industry-type jobs in that area.

I think KR did stop at either the Waukegan Oasis or the Mall and this was a crime of opportunity by a stranger.

JMO

But would that explain two different homes on two different streets? JMO.
It could be any number of reasons none of which are significant. I can google myself and a Chicago address is listed. I've never lived in Chicago but co-signed on my son's lease when he was in college.

JMO

In trying to determine where Kathleen was when the neighbors saw her, and if they were the last to see her, I looked for her address. The two towns represent two different homes, though close to one another, because they are on two different streets. Also, photos of them can be seen on Google Maps.
For Kathleen Ann Ryan from the Whitepages directory:
1) 3282 East Thompson Avenue, Saint Francis, WI 53235
2) 2306 East Holt Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53207
https://www.whitepages.com/name/Kathleen-Ann-Ryan/Milwaukee-WI/uazxmkg
I was wondering if there had been any criminal or suspicious activity reported around the time she was last seen, but it's unclear to me exactly where she was the last time she was seen. JMO.
The first address is that of Kathleen's mother. I believe she and her husband may have lived there with her for a time. I think the duplex listed as the second address is being rented by Kathleen, and may or may not also house her husband, although I don't believe his name is associated with that address, at least, according to white pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu