CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there is no longer any confusion.. there were 2 separate accounts, two different subscriptions/fees/emails/usernames.

CUSTOM ACCOUNT - billing started in January 2008 - separate from contact account
Backend user custom account info shows the username (eipcustom) and the email (custom@earthinspiredproducts.com) West testifies that those would be needed to verify the account.

CONTACT ACCOUNT - billing started in September 2005 - separate from custom account.
Backend user contact account info shows username (eipjd) and the email (contact@earthinspiredproducts.com) Again, username and email would be needed to verify account.

starts around 42 minutes

Thank you for clarifying, that explains it better than I could.

Ryan Smith is the state's most charismatic witness. Poor guy. He keeps being brought back. I have a feeling they will put him on the stand every chance they get. He is kind of a Baldwin. I suspect we will be seeing a lot of him.

If I remember the past testimony correctly, Chase failed to switch Custom to Desktop, and he failed to cancel the Custom---and he failed because he did not have the necessary passwords. [ I believe he needed the email password]

If Joey really wanted Chase to make those changes, why would he give him the necessary info?

Which testimony? I think this has been implied, but I'm not sure it's been testified to. We have yet to see a lot of computer records. And we didn't hear from a QB service rep that spoke to Merritt on the 8th.

One thing I noted in West's testimony, is that the the subscription was cancelled. When West was asked about, he said that the data in the account remains whether the subscription is active or not.

Thank you for clarifying, that explains it better than I could.

Ryan Smith is the state's most charismatic witness. Poor guy. He keeps being brought back. I have a feeling they will put him on the stand every chance they get. He is kind of a Baldwin. I suspect we will be seeing a lot of him.

All I see now is Jim Carey when I see him LOL Thanks @Force Ten !!!!!

WHAT???
What???
Frigging What?
Are you kidding me?
I swear. This bull is going to stop this trial until who knows when.
This judge should be recused from this trial asap.

I pray that the families of these victims are not even showing up for this constant fiasco of a TRIAL.
If this was my family members murdered, I would be beyond incensed.
I would also be VERY vocal.
What a kangaroo Court!

Kali, that's an old post, they were trying to find when Maline joined Merritt's defense. Everything is copacetic, no need to panic. :)

If I remember the past testimony correctly, Chase failed to switch Custom to Desktop, and he failed to cancel the Custom---and he failed because he did not have the necessary passwords. [ I believe he needed the email password]

If Joey really wanted Chase to make those changes, why would he give him the necessary info?

Right

As I understand it, an authorisation for the deletion was emailed to the master email address on the account.

As Chase did not have access to Joey's email, he could not progress it.

What the heck kind of business was this? Sole proprietorship, Corp?

I mean who in their right mind would allow or encourage a sub contractor to forge your name on a company check?

Did Joey go to his bank and tell them Chase was going to be signing company checks? Did he give the bank a signature card for Chase?

My goodness you would have to go way out there to even think this was possible. I’m sure this jury will get it.

It’s sounds to me like the business operated fine until Chase stole money from Joey and then hell broke loose and the McStays were murdered. I guess someone other than Chase could have killed them, but it’s looking like IMO the State has their murderer.

I admit I know very little about this case. I followed when they went missing and a little when they were found. Just following along now.

IMO

I have been rewatching today's testimony on the YouTubes.

One thing I want to clarify and reiterate:

[starts at about 04:22]

Henke makes it clear that there is only one administrator, Joey McStay, on BOTH accounts---the Contacts and the Custom.

Only the administrators are able to view what is going on within the account logs.

So I am not sure why the defense is implying that DK is able to spy on those pages.

I did not see anywhere in the cross, where the defense refuted that statement by Henke that the only person with administrative access was Joey.

If Joey really was giving Chase new access, and wanting him to make changes in the account, and create his own checks, and backdate and delete them, why wouldn't Joey give him his own log in code?

I have been rewatching today's testimony on the YouTubes.

One thing I want to clarify and reiterate:

[starts at about 04:22]

Henke makes it clear that there is only one administrator, Joey McStay, on BOTH accounts---the Contacts and the Custom.

Only the administrators are able to view what is going on within the account logs.

So I am not sure why the defense is implying that DK is able to spy on those pages.

I did not see anywhere in the cross, where the defense refuted that statement by Henke that the only person with administrative access was Joey.

If Joey really was giving Chase new access, and wanting him to make changes in the account, and create his own checks, and backdate and delete them, why wouldn't Joey give him his own log in code?

BBM
Only the administrator is allowed to view what is going on. But who is to say who that administrator gave the username to? Assumptions are being made that Joey was an advanced user of QB's, or was more than a basic user. It will be interesting to see how he used the program, I think it will give us some insight into what he did or didn't know. I don't know why he would be paying 2 separate fee's for an online program that could have done what he was doing in 1 account.

The accounts didn't just have a name and email connected to them, they also had usernames. When Chase called, I think he would have had to have verified that account with the username, Michael West, a QB's investigator, said the user name/email is used to verify the account.

A few tidbits I got from yesterday's testimony with Schroeder... he was asked about a laptop with the user Giuseppe black (I think it was black).. and if he ever found a laptop that Joseph mainly used.

He was also asked about Device 1 an asus laptop... and the state objected/sidebar/didn't hear anything else through this witness.

So now I'm left wondering if there is a missing laptop ... or a laptop that wasn't where it should have been... *sigh*

From what I saw of Hanke today... his demeanor and his professionalism is how I expect a law enforcement officer to be on the stand :) I liked him... and I think he is likeable, the pro's needed a likeable officer up there lol I liked Schroeder as well, although he seemed bored as heck sitting there LOL

Is there not testimony that QBs sent 3 emails to joey - none of which were answered?

I have also seen no evidence that Joey's email was accessed

QB's dude, Baker said he sent them, but we haven't actually viewed them or heard testimony about them yet.

hmmm no evidence in trial about the emails being accessed.

DK must have had access as he said his concerns were because emails were piling up and going unanswered, he could only know that if he had access. I wonder how DK had access? I have asked that before... no answer LOL I'm assuming because he still had control of the site, and the email was connected to it? possibly. But why would Joey leave his emails 'open' like that for DK to get into...

@Tortoise - I believe you are the "keeper" of the check #s - ??

I've put this together - and have some questions on which check #s go with the amounts, if you don't mind my asking?
re check #s

Monday, February 1 continued –
12:24pm – user Joseph McStay added Charles Merritt as a vendor. Per Preliminary hearing – page 104: this transaction did NOT happen from either the McStay’s desktop or laptop. It looks like CM created vendor account ("charlesmerritt" lower case) in Quickbooks using his computer and printed a couple test checks for $2,500 that he never cashed.
12:34pm – a check made out to charles merritt, all lower-case letters, for amount of $2500 – memo line “deposit” per Preliminary hearing – page 104
12:37pm – another check added to charles merritt, for same amount $2500 – memo line “deposit” per Prelim. Hearing – page 104. Check #s 4093 & 4092. (ref: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #4 post #906 by Tortoise.

12:38pm – user printed check written at 12:24pm. Check #s?
12:47pm – user deleted check written at 12:37pm. Check #s?
12:52pm – user deleted check written at 12:34pm. Check #s?

ck 4092 = $2500; ck 4093 = $2500 - both deleted.

Tuesday, February 2
*11:27am – CM - check for zero dollars created, printed, deleted. Per Prelim hearing (page 106) user added check to Charles Merritt in the amount of zero dollars – memo line “deposit, sa. 1001”.
11:28am – user printed the check written at 11:37am.
11:29am – user added check to charles merritt amount of $2495 – memor line “deposit sa, 1001”, check dated 2-2-10 per Prelim hearing page 107 and none of this occurred on McStay’s desktop or laptop. (CM then printed out and CASHED a check for $2,495 to a Union Bank account. It's possible this first check was actually CASHED against Joseph McStay's Union Bank account, but it was not clear. Not sure if CM also had a Union Bank account.)
11:34am – user printed check written at 11:29am – per Prelim hearing (page 108) – check cashed on 2-2-10 at Union Bank by CM.

check # for $2495?

Wednesday, February 3
CM opens a Bank of America account with $200 check; $100 deposited and another $100 taken as cash; check from EIP consistent with Joseph McStay handwriting - per Prelim hearing page 129-130.

check # for $200?

Thursday, February 4
1pm - Joey called his Union Bank. The same bank where CM had cashed the $2,495 check two days earlier. IMO, this is when JM first found out Chase had cashed the fraudulent check. This also would be around the time of the lunch meeting in Rancho Cucamonga.

1pm – 3pm - per CM received a legitimate $200 handwritten check from JM. CM used that check to open a B of A account.

7:59pm - someone used the McStay Desktop computer to create (@ 7:59pm) and delete (@ 8:05pm) a Quickbooks check for $4,000. This check was never deposited or cashed. The memo line on this check said, Paul Mitchell check dated 2-4-10. Per Prelim hearing page 109 – transaction from McStay’s desktop;

check # for $4000?
Note:
DEVICE 4 -
Index 2 - intuit - 8:03:23 pm (file name is check[1].htm screenshot of webpage showing check made out to chase merritt $4000.
Index 3 - intuit - 7:59:42 (selectprint[1].htm) Print Checks Setup shows check again made to charles merritt $4000.00, check #4093 (showed current balance as $89, 724.50)

Is that correct - I have this from the prelim hearing....

But then we have this - below - ??

Friday, February 5
12:06pm – user added check (#4093) to charles merritt for $4500 – memo line: Paul Mitchell, dated 2-5-10 per Prelim hearing page 111. Per Prelim hearing page 114 – check was cashed on 2-5-10 by Charles at Union bank. (Flurry of checks created, printed, deleted. A $4,500 check was CASHED at Union Bank. Metro Sheet Metal checks were written ($1650 & $250) and later delivered in person to Metro by CM. $2,350 check was printed and deposited in B of A. The checks on this date that were cashed/deposited appeared to have forged Joseph McStay signatures.)
12:12pm – user printed check written at 12:06pm; date changed 2-4-10;
12:19pm – user added metro sheet metal as vendor.
12:21pm – user added check to metro sheet for $1650 (check #4236) – memo line: “Misc. Manufactuer”, check backdated to 2-4-10 per Prelim hearing page 113.
12:25pmcheck written to Metro Sheet Metal for $250 (check #4238, backdated to 2-4-10 and printed.
12:29pm – user added check to charles merritt for $6505 – memo line: “Balance SA (1001)”, check backdated to 2-4-10. This check is printed.
12:33pm – another check written to Charles Merritt for $2350, backdated to 2-4-10. This check deposited at Bank of America by CM (page 114 Prelim hearing).
12:38pm – user deleted check written at 12:29pm – per Prelim hearing page 112. ($6505 ck)

Do I have the correct check #s?
check # 4093 = $4500
check # 4236 = $1650
check # 4238 = $250
check # for $6505 ?
check # for $2350?

February 8
2:20pm – QuickBooks activity – user added check to Charles Merritt for $6,500 memo line: “saudi arabia final”, check backdated to 2-4-10 per Prelim hearing page 115; check was printed and deleted and deposited into CM’s BofA account on the next day Feb. 9th.
2:44pm – user canceled QuickBooks online subscription.

check # for $6500 ?

Thanks a bunch. I shall put the check #s on my Timeline list.
Hi Niner, I've been waiting for testimony that shows us what the cheque numbers are - I believe it happened yesterday but I wasn't able to get a stable connection so I haven't seen it yet. When they put it up on YouTube I'll post the cheque numbers and tag you.

At the moment all I have is 3 of the cheques for sure - so it's not worth putting up only some of it.

ETA I've just seen posts saying the trial has been updated on YT now so I'll be watching that later.

BBM
Only the administrator is allowed to view what is going on. But who is to say who that administrator gave the username to? Assumptions are being made that Joey was an advanced user of QB's, or was more than a basic user. It will be interesting to see how he used the program, I think it will give us some insight into what he did or didn't know. I don't know why he would be paying 2 separate fee's for an online program that could have done what he was doing in 1 account.

The accounts didn't just have a name and email connected to them, they also had usernames. When Chase called, I think he would have had to have verified that account with the username, Michael West, a QB's investigator, said the user name/email is used to verify the account.

A few tidbits I got from yesterday's testimony with Schroeder... he was asked about a laptop with the user Giuseppe black (I think it was black).. and if he ever found a laptop that Joseph mainly used.

He was also asked about Device 1 an asus laptop... and the state objected/sidebar/didn't hear anything else through this witness.

So now I'm left wondering if there is a missing laptop ... or a laptop that wasn't where it should have been... *sigh*

Why would Joey give the username and passcode to anyone? That is his financial private information. He was not an idiot.

What difference does it make if he is or isn't an 'advanced' QB user? He knew enough to keep his info private and to keep track of his outgoing checks/payments.

I thunk these theories that Joey was doing some kind of new, high level advanced accounting strategies, so he asked Chase to write himself checks and backdate then delete them is a quite a stretch.

I think the simplest answer is that Chase decided on his own to create those checks, and backdated and deleted to try and cover it up. JMO

Why would Joey give the username and passcode to anyone? That is his financial private information. He was not an idiot.

What difference does it make if he is or isn't an 'advanced' QB user? He knew enough to keep his info private and to keep track of his outgoing checks/payments.

I thunk these theories that Joey was doing some kind of new, high level advanced accounting strategies, so he asked Chase to write himself checks and backdate then delete them is a quite a stretch.

I think the simplest answer is that Chase decided on his own to create those checks, and backdated and deleted to try and cover it up. JMO

He obviously didn't not know enough to keep his info private. QB's was accessed by Chase, either knowingly by Joey, or not. And his emails had been accessed by Dan. So, no, he didn't know enough. One way or another, his info was not kept private.

I don't think anyone is saying he was doing high level advanced accounting strategies LOL to the contrary, I think paying 2 times for the same product every month, is NOT an advanced strategy if he was the only one accessing it ... he obviously did it for a reason, I would like to know why, don't you?

BBM

Also, about that 'missing' laptop. That may be a trick by the defense team to try and make it look like there is a hidden, missing laptop with ALL the important info on it.

Just like they did with trying to imply that there were actually recordings from the QB call, but somehow the Prosecution was trying to keep it hidden because it would hurt their case. Then we found out the calls are erased after months go by.

And just like they did with the 'knife' buried in the graves. I think we will find out that was a clever lie, planted by the defense.

Same thing with these 'calls' from Joey, and the defense implying it was Joey, discussing the checking account activity with Chase. And the only 'evidence' of that is that he called around the same time as Chase was on the QB accounts.

But Joey called Chase every day, several times a day, and usually at those same times. So there is no causal connection there at all--just the defense trying to create an implied connection. And those calls may have gone to voice mail so that would nullify their claims right there.

JMO

He obviously didn't not know enough to keep his info private. QB's was accessed by Chase, either knowingly by Joey, or not. And his emails had been accessed by Dan. So, no, he didn't know enough. One way or another, his info was not kept private.

I don't think anyone is saying he was doing high level advanced accounting strategies LOL to the contrary, I think paying 2 times for the same product every month, is NOT an advanced strategy if he was the only one accessing it ... he obviously did it for a reason, I would like to know why, don't you?

We do not know that DK was fraudulently accessing his emails. He may have been, but maybe not. Maybe there are other ways that he knew the emails were piling up. I work a lot for my husband on his projects so many times people CC me on their work emails to him. If he wasnt answering his emails and they were piling up, I'd know about it, but I don't have his password.

And yes, his QB was accessed by Chase. Chase is a long time conman/grifter/thief. Joey was not. So Chase got one over on him for sure.

But that doesn't mean that Joey voluntarily gave his passcodes or log in info to Chase. JMO

Whew! Finally caught up on all the posts...

katydid said:
[So this activity was taking place from 12:24 until 12:52. What were the times of the phone calls that day? ]

Do you still need this?? I see someone posted a somewhat report....

Edmo said:
At this point, the PH is garbage, IMO,

Oh NO!! You mean my 27 page details of the preliminary hearing is all wrong??!!

Tortoise said:
Hi Niner, I've been waiting for testimony that shows us what the cheque numbers are - I believe it happened yesterday but I wasn't able to get a stable connection so I haven't seen it yet. When they put it up on YouTube I'll post the cheque numbers and tag you.

Cool!

So - next court date on Tuesday, 2/19?? Didn't see any tweets saying any different! :)

Chase was over “helping” out the McStays with decorating and so forth because it gave him access to the house.

He could take screen shots of Joey’s laptop probably when Joey was helping Summer with the kids. He could also monitor who dropped by the house and the family’s acesss to friends and family.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member