Found Deceased ID - Eric Rose, 32, car got stuck & he walked out to get help, Owyhee County, 10 Feb 2019

cybervampira

Reaction score
Searchers looking for missing man in Owyhee County desert

The Owyhee County Sheriff’s Office, Idaho Mountain Search and rescue volunteers, and others are searching for a missing man in the Owyhee County desert.

The man is identified as Eric Rose, 32, of Nampa.

Rose, along with his wife, Francesca, 29, and their one-year-old infant, attempted to go to Silver City when their vehicle apparently became stuck.

“After approximately four to five days, Eric attempted to walk out to get help. He was last seen in the very remote and snow-covered area near Cow Creek Road and Trout Creek Roads,” said Owyhee County Sheriff Perry Grant in a news release.

Watson and her infant were located and taken to Jordan Valley.

Owyhee Sheriff’s Office was notified of the missing man about 11:30 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 15.

Multiple deputies, Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue volunteers, and others have done extensive searching of the area since then, utilizing dogs and snowmobiles.

6DB3CC0A-FCC3-4538-8E34-2CCB5A73D4D0.jpeg
Owyhee County

820487FD-32DB-4AE9-A91F-89612407960C.jpeg 595B72A8-0F8A-4365-9AAA-BAF33687DC14.jpeg 15C943CB-5AA4-46A9-A2F6-F5ABCB7D538F.jpeg

Owyhee County

I know they always say "Stay with your vehicle." After 4 or 5 days being stranded, though, I can see why he wanted to try to walk for help. It must have seemed that help would not arrive. And he had a wife and baby to take care of.

I also assume this means the 3 of them waited in the car for 4-5 days? The sad part is his wife and infant were rescued after he left. It's now been 8 days and he's still not been found, and that doesn't bode well. Hoping to be wrong and he will be rescued as well.

Sad- what do you do after 4-5 days with (possibly) no food or water and 1 year old? Start burning the tires and seats to get attention? I would have tried to walk out as well. Thankfully his wife and child survived.

Obviously in hindsight. File a "flight plan" with someone with check-in times. Take some food and water with you if there is any chance of getting stranded. And if there is any chance of getting stranded, also don't go in the first place ;).

Dad Missing in Idaho Mountains After Family Becomes Stuck in Snow

This is the stuff movies are made of. What a nightmare. An Idaho family found themselves stranded in frigid temperatures. The wife and baby survived for a week and now the father is missing.

32-year-old Eric Rose, his wife, 29-year-old Francesca Watson, and their one-year-old baby became stuck 11 days ago in a remote area of Owyhee County between Silver City and Jordan Valley.

Their first response was to wait in the truck until someone noticed they were missing and came to their rescue. That was okay until they ran out of gas and consequently, heat.

Eric is still missing. We all know how horribly cold it has been lately and the snowfall we have had. None of this is working in Eric's favor, but a search and rescue team is still looking for him on foot, with snowmobiles, and with the help of search and rescue dogs.

This reminded me of the tragic story of the Kim family - in trying to take a shortcut to the Oregon coast they ended up on a logging road that is not maintained in the winter and got stuck. When they started to starve he hiked out. The wife and their children were found, close to death, but alive. He died about two days after leaving them, only a mile from a fully stocked but uninhabited lodge. '20/20' Exclusive: Kati Kim on Her Family's Harrowing Ordeal

This is so odd. The road from Jordan Valley to Silver City is a dirt road. It's rough in the best of conditions. And it's closed to the public at this point in the winter, I believe. There is a caretaker living in Silver City, but I don't think many more. Wonder why they would have been on that road? And without telling anyone where they were going?

I hope Eric is found safe!

In looking at the Silver City website it states the road to Silver City is closed from Nov. 1 to just before Memorial Day. So other than searchers, no other vehicles will be on it. There are two homes for sale on Cow Creek - neither look lived in but would contain some supplies and shelter. I don't know where they in relation to the way he tried to walk out.

This reminded me of the tragic story of the Kim family - in trying to take a shortcut to the Oregon coast they ended up on a logging road that is not maintained in the winter and got stuck. When they started to starve he hiked out. The wife and their children were found, close to death, but alive. He died about two days after leaving them, only a mile from a fully stocked but uninhabited lodge. '20/20' Exclusive: Kati Kim on Her Family's Harrowing Ordeal
I remember that story as well. It's so similar to this. The irony in both cases of those who stayed with the car being found safe and the one who left with the best intentions to save the family didn't make it. Of course, that's not proven yet that Eric is deceased. Still hope they find him sheltered somewhere.

In looking at the Silver City website it states the road to Silver City is closed from Nov. 1 to just before Memorial Day. So other than searchers, no other vehicles will be on it. There are two homes for sale on Cow Creek - neither look lived in but would contain some supplies and shelter. I don't know where they in relation to the way he tried to walk out.
Do we know why they were traveling there? Do they maybe have a vacation home? I looked at Google maps as well and was stunned to see how remote the area is. I hope it's not a case of GPS leading them astray on a non-use road.

Last edited:
I found this PDF about the road closure... states that you "travel at your own risk." But, that signs will be posted when it becomes "unpassable" for vehicles. Did they post signs?

https://www.historicsilvercityidaho.com/idaho hotel closed for season.pdf

FEB 18, 2019
Search underway for man in Idaho mountains after woman, baby are found in stranded truck | East Idaho News
Eric Rose, 32, Francesca Watson, 29, and their 1-year-old daughter became stranded when their pickup truck got stuck somewhere between Silver City and Jordan Valley, Oregon, according to a news release from the Owyhee County Sheriff’s Office.

After waiting four or five days for help to arrive, investigators say Rose left the truck to seek assistance.

On Feb. 15, after the family was stranded for more than a week, a snowmobiler happened upon the truck with Watson and the baby inside, according to KTVB. Both survived the ordeal and were taken to Jordan Valley.

Deputies have searched for Rose on foot and snowmobile. Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue crews have assisted in the effort using search dogs, but there has been no sign of the man.

Due to extreme conditions, the Owyhee Sheriff’s Office is asking all citizens to stay away from the area and roads to Silver City have been closed to the public.

FEB 18, 2019
After days stranded in the frigid mountains, Eric Rose went on foot to look for help.

Man goes missing after family gets stuck for several days trying to drive to Silver City
Family members say on social media that a snowmobile rider found Watson and the baby on Friday and that they're doing OK. According to a family member Watson was found with frostbite on her nose.

Watson used melted snow to mix bottles for her daughter, the family member says.

The family member said the three were on their way to California, changed their mind, and got stuck in the snow.

Last edited:
FEB 18, 2019
Dad missing in Idaho mountains after wife, baby found alive in stranded truck
"He told Rose (Francesca) he would be back in a few minutes and he never returned," Rose's cousin, Amy Jennings said.

Watson and the baby stayed behind in the pickup truck for a time, before they began walking through the forest and stumbled upon a cabin. The mother broke into the cabin through a back window and fed her baby with supplies found inside.

She was able to feed the baby formula by melting snow inside a pot to keep the baby healthy.

Watson did sustain minor frostbite.

The cabin owner says she is so thankful that they were able to make it to her cabin and use supplies inside to survive.

After a couple days at the cabin, Watson decided to return to her vehicle, in hopes that she would be more visible on the road.

[...]

"We understand why our brother felt he had to hike out," Ontiveros said. "Once we were there we understood why he felt he had to go get help and I think that's brought us a bit of peace."

Rose remains missing.

36353770-12b4-4134-8b47-342abba89e27_750x422.png

FEB 18, 2019
Dad missing in Idaho mountains after wife, baby found alive in stranded truck
"He told Rose (Francesca) he would be back in a few minutes and he never returned," Rose's cousin, Amy Jennings said.

Watson and the baby stayed behind in the pickup truck for a time, before they began walking through the forest and stumbled upon a cabin. The mother broke into the cabin through a back window and fed her baby with supplies found inside.

She was able to feed the baby formula by melting snow inside a pot to keep the baby healthy.

Watson did sustain minor frostbite.

The cabin owner says she is so thankful that they were able to make it to her cabin and use supplies inside to survive.

After a couple days at the cabin, Watson decided to return to her vehicle, in hopes that she would be more visible on the road.

[...]

"We understand why our brother felt he had to hike out," Ontiveros said. "Once we were there we understood why he felt he had to go get help and I think that's brought us a bit of peace."

Rose remains missing.

36353770-12b4-4134-8b47-342abba89e27_750x422.png
First I read about a cabin. That makes it more reasonable to understand how they survived even after Eric left. Glad they were able to do this. I wonder how cell phone service is in this area? Did they have cell phones? Seems a fairly remote area so probably at least sketchy service. IMO

National Center For Missing and Endangered

The couple tried to wait for help in the pickup, which eventually ran out of gas. After four or five days, Rose attempted to go for help, walking out alone into the snow-covered landscape, according to the Owyhee County Sheriff's Office.

Watson and the baby stayed behind in the pickup truck.

On Feb. 15 - after more than a week stranded - a snowmobiler happened upon the truck with the pair inside. Both the mother and baby had survived the ordeal, and were taken to Jordan Valley.

Rose remains missing.

Rose was last seen in the general area of Cow Creek Road and Trout Creek Roads

"Due to extreme conditions, Owyhee Sheriff’s Office is requesting NO additional citizens in the area to aid in the search," the sheriff's office wrote in a release.

All roads to Silver City are currently closed to the public.

Eric Rose became stranded with his wife and baby in the mountains somewhere between Silver City and Jordan Valley.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back