UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter A Smith‏Verified account @PeterAdamSmith 3m3 minutes ago

The defence for the teenage killer begins arguing against identifying him. Says there’s a credible threat and a “price on his head.” Judge asks: if that threat already exists, how does identifying him change that? Defence argues it risks exacerbating the situation.

I think the argument is as per the next tweet - some people know who the murderer is and there is a threat against him.
If the name is revealed, everyone knows who he is and there may be many more threats - greater danger to him

Ah I see. But isn't he under 24/7 supervision anyway and doesn't interact with others?

Peter A Smith‏Verified account @PeterAdamSmith 1m1 minute ago

Defence argues there may be people in the young offenders institution (where the teenager is held) who already know his identity but there may be people who do not. Also there may be people who will go into the young offenders institution in future who do not know his identity.

splitting hairs here imo - anyone who goes in there will quickly learn who he is

James Matthews‏Verified account @jamesmatthewsky 2m2 minutes ago

Crown QC had earlier said he was told of info from police as to particular risk to Alesha’s killer. Won’t say what it is but (having made enquiries) says it doesn’t appear to have any substance. Killer’s QC counters that yesterday word used was “credible”

Be very surprised if they don't name him.

There is little point keeping it hidden now.

A two minute internet search shows you his name, photos and videos.

He's been found guilty, he doesn't deserve protection.

If he can name and cast doubt over TM when she has done nothing wrong why should he be protected?

If it wasn't already out there is be more cautious but it is.

Publicise it officially and get it over with.

Peter A Smith‏Verified account @PeterAdamSmith 2m2 minutes ago

Court hears there is a history of self harm, anxiety & depression, he had been previously tested for ADHD & was awaiting further testing at time of arrest. Defence says there are issues from attack from others and also potential self harm if he’s identified

BBM interesting -
and again, 24 hour solitary, doesnt leave much chance of attack ?

Lorna Gordon‏Verified account @bbclornag 7m7 minutes ago

It is difficult to see viewers / readers less interested just because they don’t know the name of the accused defence QC argues, adding difficult to see how debate about criminal justice better informed by knowing the name of the accused.

Points out that 16 year-old has history of self harm, anxiety and depression and argues there are issues pertaining to his safety and his potential self harm that means anonymity should be retained.

Defence QC argues that to make an order lifting anonymity based on the fact a 19 year old was (falsely) incriminated by the murderer 'would be tit for tat and nothing more'.

BBM wow, not a great choice of wording there imo

The unanimous verdict within 3 hours says it all. I hope this brings a family who have been dragged through the mud some small solace. Its apparent that some elements of this little girls home life were chaotic, it’s very common. It also doesn’t make you immune to being targeted by a psychopath. The two things don’t have to be linked. This monstrosity has planted doubt in the publics mind about TM. In a way I think her so called friends evidence was more damaging to her personally than the evil boys allegations. The latter lacked all credibility. She is an 18 year old girl having to face her boyfriend and his parents after her “friend “ gave evidence that she was resentful of their precious and now deceased daughter and grand daughter. They said that she was annoyed about the time they had planned to spend with her.... That would be devastating to a grieving family. I can’t see that there is anyway back for her from that. RIP Alesha. Rot in hell the bad seed.

The responses from her "friend" all seemed typical for a petty girl who doesn't really like said friend. I didn't take any of the girl's words seriously other than to think she was a pretty horrible person who wanted some attention. It was just basically all her so called impressions of TM twisted to sound as bad as possible. We've all known women and girls like this. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member