Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

CoverMeCagney

Reaction score
Fears are mounting for a 23-year-old British backpacker who has gone missing in Guatemala.

Catherine Shaw was last seen on Monday 4 March in the San Pedro, Lake Atitlan area.

Her friends and family have appealed for information for the missing woman who is said to have no passport or money with her.

Close friend Paco Patchouli, who is believed to be travelling with Catherine, posted an appeal to his social media page:

cs.jpg

Fears grow for missing British backpacker, 23, last seen at an 'eco hotel' in Guatemala | Daily Mail Online

Good to see Lucie's legacy lives on in helping others Brits abroad

The Lucie Blackman Trust chief executive Matthew Searle stressed how the 'first few days are vitally important' because those who may have seen something could still be in the area. We urge anyone who may have any information, no matter how small, to get in touch as soon as they can. They could hold the key to bringing Catherine home,' he added.

The trust said members of her family are travelling to San Pedro to join the search this weekend.

If you have any information you can contact the Lucie Blackman Trust, from overseas you can call +44800 098 8485 and from the UK you can call 0800 098 8485.

'Desperately worried' parents launch emotional appeal over missing British backpacker, 23 | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
So her friend woke up one morning and Catherine was just gone:

23 year old Catherine has been travelling in Guatemala for 2 weeks having previously been in Mexico and California, leaving home in England in September 2018. She was last known to be in San Pedro, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. She is travelling with her friend, who awoke on the morning of Tuesday 5th March to find Catherine was missing. Catherine has not been seen since.

https://www.lbtrust.org/single-post/2019/03/05/Catherine-Shaw

How is it she has no passport? Was it left behind? Central America is just NOT a safe place to travel. My husband's company refuses to send their non-Hispanic non-Spanish speaking engineers down to their plants there, too high a risk of kidnapping.

So did she leave Passport, phone, money at the hotel?

Did she leave all her other belongings, backpack , too?

What was she doing on the evening before the friend awoke to find her gone?

Did she return to the hotel that night or not?

Is Paco Patchouli really someone's name? Sounds really fake to me

How is it she has no passport? Was it left behind? Central America is just NOT a safe place to travel. My husband's company refuses to send their non-Hispanic non-Spanish speaking engineers down to their plants there, too high a risk of kidnapping.

Engineers working for a company have ransom value

Backpackers staying in ecohotels not so much

I sure wouldn't have a great deal of faith in an account from someone named Paco Patchouli.

I'll bet that is not her friend's real name. That would really really set off the alarms for me. He appears to be the only one who has made notice of her disappearance.

I suggest some background checks into Mr. Patchouli and some close forensic examination of her things

In this article it says all her belongings, passport and phone were left behind, and she was last seen in the afternoon of March 4. Doesn't say by whom.

Piden ayuda para localizar a extranjera desaparecida en Atitlán | Soy502

If the account is true it sounds like she left the hotel room with the intention to be right back but ran into danger before she could return. Did she have a shared bathroom? The hotel should be thoroughly searched and all other guests questioned.

She was traveling with this Paco guy and sharing the room, correct?

She disappeared March 4 without money. So if this account is true, she wasn't going out to dinner or drinks with friends. It implies Paco didn't know where she went and didnt go looking for her that night?

Last edited:
I sure wouldn't have a great deal of faith in an account from someone named Paco Patchouli.

I'll bet that is not her friend's real name. That would really really set off the alarms for me. He appears to be the only one who has made notice of her disappearance.

I suggest some background checks into Mr. Patchouli and some close forensic examination of her things

The URL of his FB page gives a different name.

My hinky alarm has gone off on this

I feel Mr Patchouli and drugs are involved in her disappearance.
IMHO, MOO

Last edited:
Catherine Shaw's parents are "desperately worried" after the 23-year-old abruptly left the hotel at 2am without telling her travel buddy.

Catherine was last seen on March 4 and had been staying in the San Pedro, Lake Atitlan area of the central American country with a friend.

Tonight, a spokesman for the hotel said Catherine had been recorded on CCTV leaving at nearly 2am on March 5 while carrying a “musical instrument”.

More at Mystery as missing Brit is 'caught on CCTV leaving Guatemala hotel at 2am'

So did she leave Passport, phone, money at the hotel?

Did she leave all her other belongings, backpack , too?

What was she doing on the evening before the friend awoke to find her gone?

Did she return to the hotel that night or not?

Is Paco Patchouli really someone's name? Sounds really fake to me

There's a Paco who comes up as Elena Consolini at this article: 'Desperately worried' parents launch emotional appeal over missing British backpacker, 23 | Daily Mail Online

A worker at the hotel where Catherine was staying said staff were still trying to fathom why she had left alone in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

She said: “The cameras show she was with her friend Elena for about an hour opposite a bungalow and then she played the musical instrument she left with after Elena went to bed.

“We would have preferred her not to leave the hotel at that time of the night but everyone was asleep so no-one knew she had gone.

“The instrument she was playing was a Hang and people who had seen her with it earlier described it as having a black case. You can’t see on the CCTV what Catherine was wearing.

Mystery as missing Brit is 'caught on CCTV leaving Guatemala hotel at 2am'

The hotel:

“We regret the disappearance of Catherine Shaw and can confirm she checked into the Eco Hotel Mayachik with her friend Elena Consolini on Sunday March 3 at 1.37pm. Catherine left the hotel on Tuesday March 5 in the early hours of the morning, at 1.37am to be exact, taking with her a musical instrument. This information was taken from our CCTV cameras."

He confirmed that her belongings had been left behind, adding: “Not knowing anything about Catherine, Elena returned to our hotel on Thursday afternoon asking after her and that was when Catherine’s belongings were handed to her. Catherine was sharing a room with about four or five other people. She had checked in with Elena and my understanding is Elena checked out on Tuesday morning. We’re not sure what happened during the two days before she came back asking about Catherine and it’s something we’re trying to look into. We don’t know either where she is now but she’s not at the hotel anymore.”

Mystery as missing Brit is 'caught on CCTV leaving Guatemala hotel at 2am'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase