Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

Unfortunately I knew she was dead the moment she was reported as missing. Its a case with similar parallels to Grace Millane who died in New Zealand. So it was probably an opportunistic sex attack, either someone knew she was going to be there or was unexpectedly encountered up there. The purpetrator is probably a Male Guatamalan national.

Sadly its a very dangerous world to be anywhere if you are young and female, especially white. That area of central America is also well known to have some of the highest rape and murder stats in the world.

Unfortunately I knew she was dead the moment she was reported as missing. Its a case with similar parallels to Grace Millane who died in New Zealand. So it was probably an opportunistic sex attack, either someone knew she was going to be there or was unexpectedly encountered up there. The purpetrator is probably a Male Guatamalan national.

Sadly its a very dangerous world to be anywhere if you are young and female, especially white. That area of central America is also well known to have some of the highest rape and murder stats in the world.

Some pretty strong assumptions there.. let’s wait for evidence

Confirmed to be her body. Not sure if this has been reported yet, or if only presumed to be her. Wonder if she was id'ed by someone who knows her.

Body of Catherine Shaw, 23, who went missing in Guatemala, has been found

We are now able to confirm that the body found in the search in Guatemala is that of missing Catherine Shaw."

“Thank you to everyone who has helped in the search. Our thoughts are with Catherine@s family, who we will continue to support as they need.”

Last edited:
Some pretty strong assumptions there.. let’s wait for evidence

Well the Guatamalan Nacional is treating it as a homicide. So there must be clear visual evidence on her body to arrive at such a conclusion so quickly after her body had been discovered.

It may not be as clear to determine whether Catherine had been raped or not, but I'd imagine even for Guatamala, (which is a third world country) that would be fairly straight forward to confirm after a basic postmortem.

As I say, if she's been murdered up there its hard to see any other motive other than one that is sexual.

Terrible news..

The location where she was found ‘La Nariz Del Indio (The Indian’s Nose)’ seems to be well regarded by tourists for its views at sunrise and worryingly, for allegedly being the home of bandits who operate along the trails. From what I could find, the common advice is not to attempt this hike solo :(

But yes, let’s wait and see the official reports

Well the Guatamalan Nacional is treating it as a homicide. So there must be clear visual evidence on her body to arrive at such a conclusion so quickly after her body had been discovered.

It may not be as clear to determine whether Catherine had been raped or not, but I'd imagine even for Guatamala, (which is a third world country) that would be fairly straight forward to confirm after a basic postmortem.

As I say, if she's been murdered up there its hard to see any other motive other than one that is sexual.

I’m mainly referring to you stating which nationality will have committed the act. You may well turn out to be right but let’s base it on facts and evidence rather than stereotype..

An earlier post says that her nude body was found in a cave with numerous lacerations.

A big difference with Grace Millane is that Grace met a man online and went to his hotel room with him. Catherine went hiking alone in the dark on rough terrain to watch the sun rise.

Could the lacerations and bruising be from a fall? Could the lack of clothes mean that Cat wanted to be one with nature as the sun rose? I feel really sad about this one, I hoped she was just having an episode of some sort and would be found alive. I can't bear to think that someone so chilled might have ended her days in fear.

An earlier post says that her nude body was found in a cave with numerous lacerations.

A big difference with Grace Millane is that Grace met a man online and went to his hotel room with him. Catherine went hiking alone in the dark on rough terrain to watch the sun rise.

She put herself in mortal danger, given the circumstances of her trek up the trail. She must have known that. She's obviously let her guard down and not considered the risks.

All women know not to go walking or bush wacking around in the dark alone as they are at risk.

As we see here, she took a chance and unfortunately has paid for it with her life.

The Guatemalan National police report that Cat's body was found nude with lacerations and beatings on her legs and various parts of her body.

Revelan detalles de cómo encontraron el cuerpo de Catherine Shaw | Soy502
My Spanish is not great, but I believe that last paragraph in the media article translates to "According to the report of the PNC, the tourist was completely naked, face down and on the body, despite being in a state of putrefaction, identified blows, lacerations on legs and various parts of the body." My thoughts go out to her family.

Could the lacerations and bruising be from a fall? Could the lack of clothes mean that Cat wanted to be one with nature as the sun rose? I feel really sad about this one, I hoped she was just having an episode of some sort and would be found alive. I can't bear to think that someone so chilled might have ended her days in fear.

Possibly Cagney

If it was dark or in twilight when it happened its definately possible. But I think we can rule that out now as the Guatamalan nacional are treating it as a homicide, so must have definitive proof of that.

Could the lacerations and bruising be from a fall? Could the lack of clothes mean that Cat wanted to be one with nature as the sun rose? .

She may have fallen, been too badly injured to move then developed hypothermia and took her clothes off. The bruising and cuts could be from the fall.

I wonder if her clothes were found.

Unfortunately I knew she was dead the moment she was reported as missing. Its a case with similar parallels to Grace Millane who died in New Zealand. So it was probably an opportunistic sex attack, either someone knew she was going to be there or was unexpectedly encountered up there. The perpetrator is probably a Male Guatemalan national.

Having lived in Guatemala the past 26 years I am shocked by how young tourists think they are in a version of Disneyland here. Guatemala has at least 65 women murdered every month, very few cases are prosecuted and it has one of the highest rates of femicide in the world. Tourists are generally safe here if taking precautions. Guatemalans, especially women are the targets. This country has a very long history of violence starting over 500 years ago. Poverty, violence, corruption are rampant. Human life is cheap and human rights don't exist.

Exactly my thoughts about comparing the two cases (of Catherine and Grace). The only similarities I recognize are that both women were traveling extensively. Perhaps using poor judgment could be added, though I'd say people have the right to be safe in traveling, meeting new people and seeking adventure. It's not always the case that they are safe, however. No blame intended to either woman and my sympathies to the families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theonce-ler
Back