ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah, lots of snow through tonight with winter storm conditions. On the bright side :) clearing out tomorrow, and lots of sun over the next week with daily highs in the 40s. That should help to begin to melt off the snow. Another site even has the possibility of a few days in the mid-50s toward the end of next week.

At least they are finally out of the icy grip that had hold for a solid month since Serenity went missing.

Has anyone looked into property ownership surrounding the children’s home? Like within a 20-30 mile range? The thought of another Jayme Closs type situation keeps sticking in the back of my mind. A loner, not on the radar at all, drives thru the area on occasion. I wonder if LE was able to do a door to door property search at any point. Would people open their doors? Most people have nothing to hide. What if Serenity was able to sneak in someone’s barn or shed and the owners had no idea. Randomness going thru my head thinking of this sweet little girl. She deserved so much better from so many.

Has anyone looked into property ownership surrounding the children’s home? Like within a 20-30 mile range? The thought of another Jayme Closs type situation keeps sticking in the back of my mind. A loner, not on the radar at all, drives thru the area on occasion. I wonder if LE was able to do a door to door property search at any point. Would people open their doors? Most people have nothing to hide. What if Serenity was able to sneak in someone’s barn or shed and the owners had no idea. Randomness going thru my head thinking of this sweet little girl. She deserved so much better from so many.
It’s interesting that you say that. I keep signing in to check to see if I get the surprise/shock that I had when I saw that Jamie was found. Never give up hope.

Something we've all hoped for, especially early on. The nearest building was over a mile away up the road, and even further if she headed into the hills. I believe LE early on had everybody along the road check all their buildings for any sign of her.

The interview with Serenity's bio mother was recently posted by Senator Lynne Disanto. Heartwrenching, and somewhat disheartening also. The cycle is hard to break. Biomom believes Serenity was at the Childrens Home when she was about 2 1/2 for anger issues.

The interview with Serenity's bio mother was recently posted by Senator Lynne Disanto. Heartwrenching, and somewhat disheartening also. The cycle is hard to break. Biomom believes Serenity was at the Childrens Home when she was about 2 1/2 for anger issues.

It was heartwrenching for sure. Very emotional.

I was confused by the information about Serenity being at the home at 2 1/2. Currently, SFCH and BHCH are both licensed for ages 4 to 14. It has been that way for as long as I can remember which is long before 2012. I did try to find information about them taking kids that young but found nothing.

Serenity may have been placed with one of BHCH's foster families or maybe she received treatment in one of their other non-residential programs.

I know RR likely got limited and passed down info since she was locked up and per her interview. I am not saying RR is lying or anything like that. I just wonder if the information got jumbled as it was passed along.

I hope the weather clears and warms up so the searchers can go out.

RE: Snow amounts
I have heard and seen pictures of varying amounts of snow on the ground prior to the recent snowfall/blizzard. Some said a few inches others said 10 plus on the ground so it probably just depends on where each person was. Weather can vary a lot here even in short distances. Wind is almost always a factor here in SD too. It didn't look so bad in pictures but some reported areas that were hard to get through and ice being an issue. Plus the temps get cooler as you get back in the hills so the snow may have not melted as fast there.

I hope Serenity is found soon!

Definitely watch all 19 minutes of the biomom interview. My heart is breaking for this mom, I know you can only give a person so many chances but she really seems like she got passed along the system and not much help once she was out. I am not sure how much longer her sentence is but I hope after this, the state will help her stay clean and help stay on the right path. She lots so much recently.
Her theory is one that really hasn’t been brought up before. Former kids of the home would definitely be something to follow up on.

Definitely watch all 19 minutes of the biomom interview. My heart is breaking for this mom, I know you can only give a person so many chances but she really seems like she got passed along the system and not much help once she was out. I am not sure how much longer her sentence is but I hope after this, the state will help her stay clean and help stay on the right path. She lots so much recently.
Her theory is one that really hasn’t been brought up before. Former kids of the home would definitely be something to follow up on.
Watched - or more accurately, listened - to the bio-mom's interview. A couple curious things. To begin with, if Serenity was in that home before she was adopted, did putting her back in that home make her think that her adopted parents didn't want her any more? And Darcy had to have known that Serenity was in that hope before. Even the bio-mom is really questioning how CD put Serenity back in that home without Darcy's knowledge. Where did Serenity go to school last year? Some things are still hazy. Bio-mom was even questioning why Serenity would have been put back in the home because she had never had any anger issues as long as she or her family was with her. This, of course, puts some of the spotlight on CD and his wife, and it may be why he is avoiding any public activity. Because people are questing whether Serenity should even have been in the Home at this point - even the bio-mom is questioning that.
One thing that was clear, though, was that Serenity was taken away from her mom, her dad, and both sets of grandparents. It was not really clear to me what the events were surrounding when Serenity was taken away from her dad's parents, though. Bio-mom mentioned something about lotion and sexual abuse, but I couldn't tell if that was related directly with Serenity or not. All I could get out of that was that Serenity's dad's parents were apparently not responsible enough to look after Serenity, and bio-mom holds them largely responsible for Serenity being taken away.
Bio-mom reiterates the detail that Serenity was seen on the road, but when the people that saw her drove up there to get her, she had disappeared. Her feeling is that the only way Serenity could have disappeared so quickly is that she was picked up. I don't totally agree that that was the only way she could have disappeared - if Serenity was just out for a walk, with no specific agenda than to just be out exploring, she could have left the road, perhaps so she could stay out longer. I don't think she could have walked a mile or more up the road without being seen, unless she purposefully avoided being seen when she heard any cars coming. That doesn't seem likely either. Bio-mom doesn't think Serenity would have gotten turned around because the weather was cold but not stormy yet. If the weather was warmer, I could see Serenity just enjoying herself on an adventure, but the cold weather (around 20 and dropping) and the fact that she wasn't dressed for it would quickly dispel that idea, I would think.
Bio-mom is desperately hanging on to the same hope as everybody else - that Serenity is still alive and out there. Like the cousin and Darcy, she thinks Serenity is with someone.
I guess in some way we all are clinging to that hope.
And still there is no sign of her.

All I could get out of that was that Serenity's dad's parents were apparently not responsible enough to look after Serenity, and bio-mom holds them largely responsible for Serenity being taken away.
Bio-mom reiterates the detail that Serenity was seen on the road, but when the people that saw her drove up there to get her, she had disappeared. Her feeling is that the only way Serenity could have disappeared so quickly is that she was picked up. I don't totally agree that that was the only way she could have disappeared - if Serenity was just out for a walk, with no specific agenda than to just be out exploring, she could have left the road, perhaps so she could stay out longer. I don't think she could have walked a mile or more up the road without being seen, unless she purposefully avoided being seen when she heard any cars coming. That doesn't seem likely either. Bio-mom doesn't think Serenity would have gotten turned around because the weather was cold but not stormy yet. If the weather was warmer, I could see Serenity just enjoying herself on an adventure, but the cold weather (around 20 and dropping) and the fact that she wasn't dressed for it would quickly dispel that idea, I would think.
Bio-mom is desperately hanging on to the same hope as everybody else - that Serenity is still alive and out there. Like the cousin and Darcy, she thinks Serenity is with someone.
I guess in some way we all are clinging to that hope.
And still there is no sign of her.

I am also leaning to her being picked up. She wasn't running when sighted so wasn't on some mad dash to get away as far and fast as possible. Blazing a trail up the mountain would be scary, painful, slow going....I think she might have hid in the woods close to the road, but I can't see a 9 yr old just losing all sight of civilization and going hours into the woods to where there is no point of return. Sometime between her last sighting and the official search, I think she was picked up. Either right away or she returned to the road after a little time hiding/walking in the woods close to the home and road.

The home has no security cameras by the entrance? To at lease see what cars drove by and if one turned around or anything suspicious?

I am also leaning to her being picked up. She wasn't running when sighted so wasn't on some mad dash to get away as far and fast as possible. Blazing a trail up the mountain would be scary, painful, slow going....I think she might have hid in the woods close to the road, but I can't see a 9 yr old just losing all sight of civilization and going hours into the woods to where there is no point of return. Sometime between her last sighting and the official search, I think she was picked up. Either right away or she returned to the road after a little time hiding/walking in the woods close to the home and road.

The home has no security cameras by the entrance? To at lease see what cars drove by and if one turned around or anything suspicious?
There seems to be some question as to whether the outside security cameras were operational that day. I know they said later that day that video cameras were being affected by the severe cold, but it wasn't yet so severe when Serenity ran, although it was dropping. How often do they check to see if their cameras are operational?

As for her heading into the woods, several things were mentioned early on. One was that she might be trying to get back to Sturgis to her family. If that was the case, she absolutely would have stuck on or near the road that she knew. But it was also mentioned - I think by a staff member, but I don't know for sure, and I don't remember where in MSM I saw it - that it was possible that she might be trying to get to a favorite spot. They often took the kids on hikes outside when the weather is warm. If that is true, then she might have headed off the road looking for the spot or the trail that leads there. Or maybe she just enjoyed those hikes in the hills that they had taken, and was anxious to explore.

The question is, how soon would she have gotten cold, and what would she have done when she felt the cold? Turned around and try to return? Accepted a ride in a warm car? Find a little cave to get warm? And to what degree did her diagnosis, whatever it was (it seems it was RAD) and however severe it was, affect her judgment on what to do when it is cold?

And if she was actually picked up, where is she?

How soon would she have gotten hypothermia and lost all rational thought?

I think at the most 20 minutes.

She had a shirt on in that weather. No hat. She would lose body heat quickly.

I wish people could understand how cold it was that day.

Next, I wish people could understand what all of that snow is like in terms of finding her.

How soon would she have gotten hypothermia and lost all rational thought?

I think at the most 20 minutes.

She had a shirt on in that weather. No hat. She would lose body heat quickly.

I wish people could understand how cold it was that day.

Next, I wish people could understand what all of that snow is like in terms of finding her.

I totally get how cold it was. It's difficult for me to comprehend that she didn't turn right around and come back given the conditions. The poor thing must have been desperate to get away, or try to get home, or something.

I get the snow too. Still, it's difficult to understand how she wasn't found that first day. After that, with all the snow, I can see it. I'm sure once they were called and got there, the police and volunteers have done everything they can. I chalk it up to my own lack of imagination that I'm having trouble with this part.

I totally get how cold it was. It's difficult for me to comprehend that she didn't turn right around and come back given the conditions. The poor thing must have been desperate to get away, or try to get home, or something.

I get the snow too. Still, it's difficult to understand how she wasn't found that first day. After that, with all the snow, I can see it. I'm sure once they were called and got there, the police and volunteers have done everything they can. I chalk it up to my own lack of imagination that I'm having trouble with this part.

There are nunerous instances on here where people are found later. Searchers were mere inches from them.

Biomom's story has many more pieces than she shared, and I suspect she tried to present herself somewhat favourably. I also am of the opinion she got incomplete or inaccurate info herself. The truly sad part of this story is the choices people make trickle down to their children. Poor Serenity.

The weather deteriorated fairly rapidly. I think by the time LE and volunteers got there, it was several hours later and the snow had already begun to fall, or did very shortly thereafter. And the temps dropped from around 20 to single digits during that afternoon as well. Why the staff didn't find her within the first half hour or so of when she ran is another matter. Remember, she had already on previous occasions hid from them in small spaces in the Home. She may have done the same thing when she heard them looking for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo